Would it be creepy if...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomquestions

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...I emailed a physician-scientist that I came across during a Google search?

My research interests are a bit unconventional and I have been seeking solace from someone that has traveled a similar path. After months of research, I've finally come across a physician-scientist that has gone down the exact same path that I am planning to go down.

Long story short, I have a few questions for her and I would like to email her, but I'm afraid that that would be inappropriate or worse... creepy.

What do you guys think?

Is it okay to contact this person I discovered through a random Google search?

Also, what do you think is the likelihood of her responding being that she's a physician-scientist for a top 5 university?

Thanks! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Not creepy unless you are asking super personal questions. I email professors/doctors whose info I find online all the time. They are usually happy to help and talk about their experience - people like feeling important. If you treat them as an expert in their field they would love to email with you, I'm sure.

Not creepy unless you are asking super personal questions. I email professors/doctors whose info I find online all the time. They are usually happy to help and talk about their experience - people like feeling important. If you treat them as an expert in their field they would love to email with you, I'm sure.

Thanks for the quick response.

Do you have any advice on how to address them?

Meaning, should I keep it short or should I offer a brief summary of my background before asking them anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick response.

Do you have any advice on how to address them?

Meaning, should I keep it short or should I offer a brief summary of my background before asking them anything?

Obviously not too long. I usually say:

"Greetings Dr. So-and-so,

My name is Max and I am a blank student at blank university. I have been researching blank, and came across your name because of blank. I am researching this topic because I blank. Would you mind blanking this blank for me?

Thanks,

Max Facial

Quick paragraph, nothing long and tedious, but long enough so that they know what you are interested in knowing how they can point their convo for you. I've always had really good luck doing this. I emailed a professor just last week about a research project I was working on. He responded within an hour with all the info I needed! People are generally helpful, especially when you're interested in their field!

Obviously not too long. I usually say:

"Greetings Dr. So-and-so,

My name is Max and I am a blank student at blank university. I have been researching blank, and came across your name because of blank. I am researching this topic because I blank. Would you mind blanking this blank for me?

Thanks,

Max Facial

Quick paragraph, nothing long and tedious, but long enough so that they know what you are interested in knowing how they can point their convo for you. I've always had really good luck doing this. I emailed a professor just last week about a research project I was working on. He responded within an hour with all the info I needed! People are generally helpful, especially when you're interested in their field!

Thanks. This really helps.