Would only 3 Hours of Shadowing a DPM be a red flag for my Podiatric Medical School application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GAMING4FUNN

Reaction score
After cold calling multiple times the past 4-5 weeks I finally found a DPM to shadow. However, due to COVID-19 her last patient came in at 11:25AM for the day. I shadowed from 9AM to pretty much 12PM so about 3 hours. However, her regular hours are from 9AM-5PM but due to COVID-19 the amount of patients she see's is limited. She has to go to vacation next week and won't be back until late August. She stated I could come back to shadow in the fall if I am still interested. She also stated she would write me a letter of recommendation (LoR) as well.

Would having 3 hours of shadowing with a LoR be an issue you think for my application? Due to COVID-19 it is EXTREMELY hard to find a DPM willing to let you shadow.

Within those 3 hours there about 5 patients with issues ranging from plantar fasciitis, bunions, diabetes related issues such as neuropathy and fungus, and even a toe nail removal.

If you are curious about my other stats, I made a post about a month ago which I will link below

Thank you friends!

Members don't see this ad.

After cold calling multiple times the past 4-5 weeks I finally found a DPM to shadow. However, due to COVID-19 her last patient came in at 11:25AM for the day. I shadowed from 9AM to pretty much 12PM so about 3 hours. However, her regular hours are from 9AM-5PM but due to COVID-19 the amount of patients she see's is limited. She has to go to vacation next week and won't be back until late August. She stated I could come back to shadow in the fall if I am still interested. She also stated she would write me a letter of recommendation (LoR) as well.

Would having 3 hours of shadowing with a LoR be an issue you think for my application? Due to COVID-19 it is EXTREMELY hard to find a DPM willing to let you shadow.

Within those 3 hours there about 5 patients with issues ranging from plantar fasciitis, bunions, diabetes related issues such as neuropathy and fungus, and even a toe nail removal.

If you are curious about my other stats, I made a post about a month ago which I will link below

Thank you friends!

I don't think it'll be an issue; people are getting in without an MCAT score so compared to that the 3 hours are minimal.
Apply on Day 1. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
With an LoR and current unique circumstances, I would think most schools wouldn't be too stringent on this criteria. Just make sure this is what you really want to do. It's a good field, but only if you genuinely like what it has to offer.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it'll be an issue; people are getting in without an MCAT score so compared to that the 3 hours are minimal.
Apply on Day 1. Good luck!

That is quite strange that some schools are offering seats without the MCAT. My plan is to apply Day 1 but it all depends upon when she decides to submit the LoR from Day 1. So it might be a few days later. I just hope that I am able to get in. Are you a podiatric student btw?

With an LoR and current unique circumstances, I would think most schools wouldn't be too stringent on this criteria. Just make sure this is what you really want to do. It's a good field, but only if you genuinely like what it has to offer.

I hope so too. I am not picky about my specialty either. Even if I was doing MD or DO I still would not be picky about my specialty. I like alot of the fields within medicine and furthermore being able to do surgery as a Podiatrist is even more awesome! The cases I saw during my shadowing visit were unique and simple with the doctor spending no more than about 5 minutes per patient which was another benefit!

Do you have to specify the # of hours on your app? Could you mention I shadowed a couple of podiatrists and saw xyz? I think it's important to have LOR from podiatrist and you can shadow more after submitting application too. If anything, I would shadow more and when granted interview you can mention that you continued to shadow.

That is quite strange that some schools are offering seats without the MCAT. My plan is to apply Day 1 but it all depends upon when she decides to submit the LoR from Day 1. So it might be a few days later. I just hope that I am able to get in. Are you a podiatric student btw?

It's actually not strange to allow acceptances without an MCAT given the pandemic and the closure of Prometric centers around the country.
Even MD schools like Stanford are doing something similar. However, now that the situation is somewhat getting "better", students should be able to site for the MCAT at one location or another. The stats you posted above are very competitive, you will be fine.

Yes, I'm a 4th-year at Scholl.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have to specify the # of hours on your app? Could you mention I shadowed a couple of podiatrists and saw xyz? I think it's important to have LOR from podiatrist and you can shadow more after submitting application too. If anything, I would shadow more and when granted interview you can mention that you continued to shadow.

You don't need to tell them the numbers; a specific #s of shadowing hours are not required for an interview or acceptance.
The most essential part of shadowing different DPMs is to know if this is really what you want to do...forever.
So, you shadow someone, get a LOR, write about it your PS, and so on.

You can finish your application without her letter! I had some issues with my recommenders because of COVID and ended up having them email schools directly. Best of luck!

You can get in without an MCAT score this year to Podiatry schools? Do you know which school?