Would someone help me calculating GPA/BCMP???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mizzoudude

If someone could help me calculate my overall and BCMP, I would really really appreciate it! Please please help. I am getting an overall of 3.26 and a science GPA of 3.1. Can someone please help me with it and check for me??

Gen Chem------------------A ----------2 credits
English---------------------A- ----------3 credits
History---------------------B+ ---------3 credits
Logic-----------------------A ----------3 credits
General Psychology----------A ---------3 credits

Gen Chem 3----------------A --------3 credits

Organic 1------------------C ---------3 credits
Genetics-------------------B ---------4 credits
Latin 1--------------------B+ ---------5 credits

Organic 2----------------A- ---------5 credits
Cell Biology---------------C ----------4 credits
Medical Terminology-------A ----------2 credits
Latin 2-------------------B ----------5 credits

Physics 1---------------A --------4 credits

Animal Physiology--------B --------5 credits
Evolution---------------A --------3 credits
Latin 3-----------------B --------3 credits
Physics 2---------------A- --------4 credits

Biochem 1--------------B- --------3 credits
History-----------------A --------3 credits
Microbiology-----------B --------4 credits
Jazz, Pop, Rock--------B --------3 credits

Medical Ethics--------B --------3 credits

Human Inherited Diseases----B -------3 credits
Calculus-----------------C- --------3 credits
Peace Studies-----------A -------3 credits
Human Sexuality---------C+ -------3 credits

Christian Art-----------B- --------3 credits
Genetics and Human affairs---B --------3 credits

Please please someone verify my calculations. I am doing a masters program now to offset the incredibly bad scores that I have....anyone else have scores like these...make it up with a masters and get into school???

Thank you sooo much for all the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Going into a Master's program doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be admitted into a medical school.

I don't know if your school has this utility or not, but my university has a personal website portal for each student. The portal has utilities such as class schedule, register for classes, tuition and fees, financial aid, etc. There's also a "Transcript" button that shows my unofficial transcript along with my cumulative GPA and such.

From what I've heard through the grapevine is LOR's and EC's are a deciding factor for getting admitted into medical school. Research is also important in some cases depending on what area of medicine you want to go into.

I'm sure some current medical students, doctors, or more knowledgeable people may be able to give you better advice but this is my $0.02 worth. No matter the outcome, good luck!

maxflash04

I just did a quick calc of your BCPM GPA and it came to 3.13

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a bunch for doing that...I calculated that as well...what a pitiful BCMP GPA....oh well...

I hope to offset it with this masters program. I will be doing 2 semesters of biochem, 2 semesters of physiology, and a semester of cell biology. These are all classes that I got C's in during undergrad...

Perhaps I will be able to offset the grades with graduate courses. They are definately much harder.

Also, I have a 25 on the MCAT which I plan on retaking in April 2006 that I hope will be 30+. Maybe that will put me on the board somewhere....

Again, the Master's program won't help much if you don't have any good EC's, LOR's, and research (if that's what you're interested in). From what I've read, the ADCOM doesn't pay close attention to Master's courses and focuses mainly on undergraduate overall/BCMP GPA. I wouldn't recommend going into a Master's program unless you're really interested in taking those courses. Otherwise, you'd have better luck with a killer MCAT retake and EC's.

Good luck! :)

Another thing to take into consideration is the grading scale of your school. Your GPA will be calculated according to your school's grading system. The grading for plus-minus grading systems is different than grading systems with half-steps. Check out the AMCAS GPA conversion guide on the AMCAS website.
Chris127 said:
What is BCMP?
Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics

It's your science GPA for AMCAS

My undergraduate school has just recently implemented the plus-minus grading system for this semester. From what I've heard, it's the first undergraduate school in Texas to be using this system. I like it a lot! :)

maxflash04 said:
My undergraduate school has just recently implemented the plus-minus grading system for this semester. From what I've heard, it's the first undergraduate school in Texas to be using this system. I like it a lot! :)
Interesting. You might have to check and see how TMDSAS will treat this. TMDSAS also differs from AMCAS for GPA calculations.

Phil Anthropist said:
Interesting. You might have to check and see how TMDSAS will treat this. TMDSAS also differs from AMCAS for GPA calculations.

Do you know how they differ? I am in TX and planning to apply to (almost) all Texas schools, with a few CA thrown in. I thought I had this figured out but maybe not?

Does your school use the plus-minus system? I thought UNT was the only undergraduate school in Texas that uses this system. If you go to UNT that's even better. ;)

Good luck with the application process. I still have another year or two to go before I start applying.