Would this look good in my EC's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArdentMed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would starting a medical blog and blogging about matter pertaining to the field of medicine and science be a good (and unique) EC? I build and sell websites anyway, so I wouldn't mind maintaining one and science and medically germane articles interest me, so it wouldn't be a contrivance by any means (I wouldn't do it "just" to make my application look better).

So would it be a good idea to start a blog now so I would have a "unique" EC come 4 years down the road when I'm applying for medical school?

I'm looking forward to hear your thoughts and idea. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Thought about this as well, not sure I would include it as an EC however. Blogging is breaking grounds for medicine and academica.

Thought about this as well, not sure I would include it as an EC however. Blogging is breaking grounds for medicine and academica.
Check your PM please. Thanks for the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you mean by this?

It doesn't sound too hard to start a blog so go for it! I wouldn't consider it an EC worth mentioning on the AMCAS -- if you have others that can take its place -- unless the blog really takes off. Also if you do list a blog, remember that people will ask for it, and its contents may be used against you (be careful what you post to the internet).

Yea, I wouldn't try to make this stand out as an exceptional experience as there is no clinical or patient care level to it. It might be a nice talking point in an interview and give you something to talk about, but app wise it isn't very strong.

I just finished adding the finishing touches to the blog a couple hours ago. It looks gorgeous, if I do say so myself, and I took the liberty of writing six articles to start it off.

I'm going to keep it around for a while in hopes of using it as a "filler" for my application if it ever comes to that, or even a good "interview topic" as someone has already mentioned.

Feel free to PM me for the link. I don't want to post it on a public forum.

Unless it becomes something that gains notoriety or a large following, I doubt any adcom member would care.

It largely depends what you do with it, though. We recently interviewed somebody with a blog with restaurant reviews, which I found really interesting to read.