Would volunteering at an animal shelter be considered non- clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yungdoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just curious. I will have enough clinical volunteering hours and am looking to get some non- clinical hours... would an animal shelter be the appropriate place to do this?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Terrible idea. Adcoms will think you equate your future patients with animals. :sarcasm: :kinda:

To be safe, I'd just find a place with human patients to volunteer at.

non clinical is fine. Just don't claim that your experience working in a dog shelter has led you to pursue your passion in human medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
An animal shelter is a perfectly fine place for non-clinical volunteering. I know a current M2 who had experience working with such an organization as a premed.

Reactions: 1 users
Terrible idea. Adcoms will think you equate your future patients with animals. :sarcasm: :kinda:

To be safe, I'd just find a place with human patients to volunteer at.
Hey guys, just curious. I will have enough clinical volunteering hours and am looking to get some non- clinical hours... would an animal shelter be the appropriate place to do this?

Thank you!
OP dont listen to this person he doesnt have any idea what he/she is talking about . My Gf and best friends had a animal shelter as their only non-clinical volunteer and they got in just fine .. Do what you love !!! and remember ADCOMS have animals too and have soft spots for animals

Reactions: 1 user
Listen, this is serious. Look at the avatars of all the adcoms on SDN. I count 2 cats and 1 cauliflower, and 0 dogs. You're much better off volunteering with cats than dogs. You may also want to consider a cauliflower shelter, although these can be hard to find.

Reactions: 13 users
I think an animal shelter is a great place to do some non-clinical volunteering, especially if you are passionate about it!

Yes that would be a good non-clinical experience. Cuter patients than clinical work anyway.

Listen, this is serious. Look at the avatars of all the adcoms on SDN. I count 2 cats and 1 cauliflower, and 0 dogs. You're much better off volunteering with cats than dogs. You may also want to consider a cauliflower shelter, although these can be hard to find.
You made me LOL at an inopportune moment. Repeatedly. @gyngyn

Reactions: 3 users

Who are you calling a cauliflower?

Reactions: 4 users