Would You Do It Over Again (Q4, 2012)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you become a doctor - or an ER doctor - again?

• If I had to do it over, I would become an ER physician.

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • If I had to do it over, I would become a physician but chose another specialty.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • If I had to do it over, I would go into medicine, but do something besides being a physician.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • If I had to do it over, I would have avoided medicine entirely.

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Old_Mil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although this has been asked before, a lot has changed in medicine over the last few years, and a lot more will probably change over the next few. So I suppose - especially in light of the burnout poll, it's worth asking again.

Members don't see this ad.

Although this has been asked before, a lot has changed in medicine over the last few years, and a lot more will probably change over the next few. So I suppose - especially in light of the burnout poll, it's worth asking again.

Btw, almost every profession in America, half the people would rather be doing something else.

I am loving my away rotations in EM. I can't wait for residency to start. The worst part is having to finish fourth year.

Members don't see this ad :)
For people who would do something else I would love to hear their thoughts on what they would do.

You didn't specify who you wanted to answer this question, but as a senior resident, I would do it over in a second (well, not do it over but choose the same specialty). I love my job (except when I hate it), but certainly can't see myself doing something else.

Currently an R3. I can't see myself doing anything else. I have thought about this so many times, but nothing else sounds like fun. I think work is work. I had to take a short break from the ED after surgery. I couldn't wait to get back. I guess that's a sign. Days like yesterday remind me why I do EM. I happened to have a lot of critical patients and not much BS. Made my string of shifts seem so much better.

My answer about avoiding medicine altogether will probably skew the poll a bit. Once in medicine I continue to think that EM is the best place to be and the only place I would want to be.

I'm not voting.

The truth is, I just don't know. I've given some serious consideration to alternative careers, but you know what I did today? I worked in the ED. You know what I'm going to do Monday? I'm going to work in the ED.

Medicine sucks, but life sucks too. That being said, I'm not suicidal.

I know I sound dark, but can any of you say that you haven't suffered or wanted for something in everything you've ever done? I love my wife and kids and hobbies and home - and I wouldn't trade 'em for anything, but life is frustrating and painful on a daily basis. Work is the same.

The more I think about EM as a job (rather than the calling that I thought it was when I submitted my rank list), the more I think that it's a darn good job.

I don't know because I haven't worked 12 years as something else. How would I feel then? I'd probably feel like my job wasn't perfect.

Last edited: