Would You Have Done It Otherwise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrightLight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A customer called today (Sunday) explaining that he had just finished a course of cephalexin for his toe infection and asking me to give some emergency supply him since he believed that he was getting better but needed more antibiotics. Noting that his prescriber did not write any refill on the prescription, I declined the request on the ground that the prescriber probably felt the duration of treatment was appropriate. The patient was not happy and threatened that if his diabetic toe had to get amputated I would be responsible for it. In the end, I still refused to give him emergency pills.

Was I foolish to offend a patient by denying him emergency supply and incur potential retaliations just because I wanted to prevent unnecessary use of antibiotic? Would you have just granted the patient's request if you were in my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

A customer called today (Sunday) explaining that he had just finished a course of cephalexin for his toe infection and asking me to give some emergency supply him since he believed that he was getting better but needed more antibiotics. Noting that his prescriber did not write any refill on the prescription, I declined the request on the ground that the prescriber probably felt the duration of treatment was appropriate. The patient was not happy and threatened that if his diabetic toe had to get amputated I would be responsible for it. In the end, I still refused to give him emergency pills.

Was I foolish to offend a patient by denying him emergency supply and incur potential retaliations just because I wanted to prevent unnecessary use of antibiotic? Would you have just granted the patient's request if you were in my situation?

Patients are idiots. Always remember that. Oh, and protect your ass. What would have happened to you if something bad happened? Lawsuit at a minimum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Patients are idiots. Always remember that.

:laugh:
That reminds me: he asked for my name AFTER he threatened to retaliate against me. It was absurd that he would expect me to help him in his action against me.

I would have done the same and denied it. I would have told him contact his Dr. if he feels he needs additional treatment.

Some patients really are dumb, just like when they have a common cold, they go to the doctor demanding antibiotics when their cold is due to a virus, which antibiotics are not going to treat.

I filled my first emergency loan for an antibiotic Saturday night. It was prescribed for cellulitis and instead of making the patient wait until Monday to get a refill, I loaned a 2 day supply. I thought it was appropriate, and I wouldn't have loaned it if it was for something minor like a sinus infection.