would you mention it if you were a mensan, or a member of the triple nine ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bargostovan2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
would you, or would it seem inappropriate ?

Members don't see this ad.

What's the Triple 9? Some kind of Herman Cain fan club?

Reactions: 12 users
If you're applying for med school you're assumed to have a certain level of intelligence. I think people generally associate Mensa with "socially maladjusted mamas boy". Maybe not though

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they really care. Mensa members are probably a dime a dozen in the population of physicians.

would you, or would it seem inappropriate ?

You could mention it, but like other things about you, is it worth mentioning?

IQ is after all a measure of potential rather than any real accomplishment. So there could even be a downside, imagine if your IQ is in the >2-3 Standard Deviation range, are your MCAT, GPA, research or other accomplishments commensurate with your purported intellectual capabilities. If yes, then people would already be convinced that you are a very high caliber applicant from your resume even without mentioning 999 or Mensa and might come off as a person without humility or tact. If not, well my friend then you just look like a loser.

I would like to close with two quotes that are pertinent to the situation

1. "Talk is cheap."
2. "People who boast about their IQ are losers." - Stephen Hawking

The Triple 9 sounds like the name of a street gang.

Reactions: 7 users
The Triple 9 sounds like the name of a street gang.

Hearing Triple 9 gang immediately made me think of the Van Buren boys from Seinfeld. (0nly 1 off)
Random reference.

Reactions: 1 user
For someone with a high IQ, you don't capitalize like someone who does have a high one.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha, sweet lord it's troll season. You wouldn't need strangers on the internet to solve this problem for you if your IQ were that high.

Nonetheless, I give this trollpost a 7/10. My kind of humor.

would you mention it if you were a mensan, or a member of the triple nine ?
No. A high IQ isn't going to impress anyone in a med school. More important is a high GPA and good standardized test-taking skills, both of which can be accomplished with hard work and determination despite an IQ closer to the mean.

Reactions: 3 users
I know a guy who has 2 master's degrees, one in military history, the other in journalism. He has a verified IQ of 160. He's a total looser who lives with about 30 cats and writes a puny column for the local newspaper once a week. IQ isn't going to add to an app. Academic performance and involvement are what is important.
Good lord. A special society for high IQ individuals sounds like the biggest arrogant, ego stroking arse wipe convention in the world.

Members don't see this ad :)
Concur. I know plenty of people who are highly intelligent, but aren't very smart.

You could mention it, but like other things about you, is it worth mentioning?

IQ is after all a measure of potential rather than any real accomplishment. So there could even be a downside, imagine if your IQ is in the >2-3 Standard Deviation range, are your MCAT, GPA, research or other accomplishments commensurate with your purported intellectual capabilities. If yes, then people would already be convinced that you are a very high caliber applicant from your resume even without mentioning 999 or Mensa and might come off as a person without humility or tact. If not, well my friend then you just look like a loser.

I would like to close with two quotes that are pertinent to the situation

1. "Talk is cheap."
2. "People who boast about their IQ are losers." - Stephen Hawking

MENSA is a joke. It's a bunch of liberal arts majors with no careers and no accomplishments (aside from their multiple liberal arts B.A. or M.A. degrees) who spend their days solving logic and Sudoku puzzles so they can feel smart, and then meet up to brag about how many puzzles they solved since the last meeting and discuss how superior they are to the intellectual proletariat. Even the creator of MENSA admitted it was an abject failure and nothing more than an ego circlejerk.

If you want to talk about prestigious societies, start with phi beta kappa. And for the ultimate in "you will accept me HMS", become a member of the National Academy of Sciences.

Reactions: 3 users
You don't really want to list Mensa. Many premeds qualify for admittance into that organization simply based on their prior standardized test scores so it doesn't really mean much -- it just comes off as patting yourself on the back regarding how smart you are, and nobody likes arrogance. Now if you ran a chapter, and are using that to show leadership experience, that might be different.

But anyway you (OP) should do a search -- this question gets asked with some regularity.

I'm a member in the Playboy website, does that give me any advantage?

Concur. I know plenty of people who are highly intelligent, but aren't very smart.

OMG, this thread reminds me of a rich kid from my high school. He used to go around telling everyone he is a 'Genius' ( based on IQ > 140 or something). He got into Columbia (someone from his family gave >$1M to the school). Then he dropped out after 1 semester and I remember him working at a Toys R Us and Dominos back home.

I've been out of college for a few years now and one thing I've learned is that hard work is much more important for success than pure 'intelligence' as measured by IQ, tests, etc.

For someone with a high IQ, you don't capitalize like someone who does have a high one.

Education improves IQ, but the reverse is not true.
Toddlers can have high IQ, illiterate individuals can have high IQ. Proper syntax is certainly not a component of intelligence.

(imb4 "thx prof")

Education improves IQ, but the reverse is not true.
Toddlers can have high IQ, illiterate individuals can have high IQ. Proper syntax is certainly not a component of intelligence.

(imb4 "thx prof")
Well, aren't you the smartass?

Only if you're a featured photographee, in which case you could better afford Secondary fees and travel expenses.

And no, you should not list this under Artistic Endeavors.

Oh no! I listed being a hand model under 'Artistic Endeavors'. Years of no manual labor!

I listed the creation of accurate Mii versions of historical people as an artistic endeavour.

What? It's hard.

The #1 thing that will kill an application is any conveyance of arrogance or self-preoccupation, since medicine is a career necessitating that you strictly put others first. You have to consider the body of people who will be reading your application. Most people in medicine (and in the world) aren't that smart. Although there will be those who will be completely indifferent to whether you're in Mensa or Triple 9, many will view it as you trying to set yourself apart (which is actually the case). In medicine, the goal isn't to show that you are more capable than anyone else. People want to see that you're a team player. And team players focus on making sure others in their group feel equality. If you're really that smart, then you have to come to terms with that. I was searching this topic myself in the context of applying to residency. I'd likely forgo mentioning my Mensa qualification unless I were genuinely putting in a considerable number of volunteer hours at events. But regardless as to the intention, it's more likely to rub a greater number of admissions committee members the wrong, rather than right, way.

The #1 thing that will kill an application is any conveyance of arrogance or self-preoccupation, since medicine is a career necessitating that you strictly put others first. You have to consider the body of people who will be reading your application. Most people in medicine (and in the world) aren't that smart. Although there will be those who will be completely indifferent to whether you're in Mensa or Triple 9, many will view it as you trying to set yourself apart (which is actually the case). In medicine, the goal isn't to show that you are more capable than anyone else. People want to see that you're a team player. And team players focus on making sure others in their group feel equality. If you're really that smart, then you have to come to terms with that. I was searching this topic myself in the context of applying to residency. I'd likely forgo mentioning my Mensa qualification unless I were genuinely putting in a considerable number of volunteer hours at events. But regardless as to the intention, it's more likely to rub a greater number of admissions committee members the wrong, rather than right, way.

I think assuming that your audience is stupid makes it hard to not convey arrogance. It's also a pretty dumb assumption. Medical school is probably the hardest professional school to get into. Lazy and/or dumb people just don't make it there.

I wouldn't put anything about MENSA, etc. not because it portrays arrogance, but because it really doesn't get you much. Wonderful, you joined a club for smart people. What did you actually DO in it? If the answer is a lot (i.e. volunteering, organizing fundraisers, leading , etc), then sure put it. If the answer is attended meetings or whatever regular members do, then it's worth jack.

If you're involved in one of Mensa's interest groups or in some other way active with in the organization, then yes.
However if you just have a membership for your ego's sake and are hoping to show the adcoms what a special snow flake you are, then they would probably see through that.