Writing a bad review of a physician online who gave you a bad eval?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opthalmoplegia

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I personally have never done and this is strictly hypothetical. If a physician whom you worked with is hurting your career by writing you an unfair bad eval despite you working your ass of for him/her and doing bitch work you weren't suppose to do, what right do you not have to hurt his/her business or referrals?

Obviously taking all of the necessary precautions online so that the review does not get traced back to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I personally have never done and this is strictly hypothetical. If a physician whom you worked with is hurting your career by writing you an unfair bad eval despite you working your ass of for him/her and doing bitch work you weren't suppose to do, what right do you not have to hurt his/her business or referrals?

Obviously taking all of the necessary precautions online so that the review does not get traced back to you.
tempting, but that seems like bad karma to me. Try not to put negativity like that out there.

Last edited:

The attending writing a bad eval of you has nothing to do with their ability to practice clinical medicine. Not only is it highly unethical to try to hurt their business by doing this, it's also a d-bag move on your part.

What would you even say? "Dr. X gave me a bad evaluation even though I worked hard so you should not see him/her as your doctor?" Are you going to air dirty laundry or bad things you may have noticed about this doctor just because you didn't get the grade you thought you would?

Members don't see this ad :)

You can do it but it's pretty lame.

It's a great life skill to learn. When someone screws you over, to have the character to move on and resist cynicism is invaluable. Do your best and forget it. If you try to get him back then you're being just like him.

Rise

This was a hypothetical scenario. I do not plan on doing this. I posted this theoretical scenario because of the frustration associated with petty physicians writing ****ty evals.

Maybe attendings who plan on giving ****ty evals just bc they can will realize that students nowadays have the tools to fight back.

It's just silly and petty to do that. One bad eval is not really going to hurt you any more than that one negative review on healthgrades.com.

It's not worth it/just drop it (I know you're not planning to do this, but it's really a stupid idea to do so).

Also I highly doubt a single "bad eval" will hurt your career in the long run

This was a hypothetical scenario. I do not plan on doing this. I posted this theoretical scenario because of the frustration associated with petty physicians writing ****ty evals.

Maybe attendings who plan on giving ****ty evals just bc they can will realize that students nowadays have the tools to fight back.

That's not fighting back, that's bringing a nuclear weapon to a knife fight.

I'm assuming you've spoken with this guy/gal about your eval, and sought out specific feedback as to why they're acting this way... and I'm only assuming, as to make the leap from dealing with conflict using a professional approach to effecting a juvenile lynching is beyond disheartening.

Furthermore, if you have sought feedback and can quantify that you are meeting the goals and are still getting ramrodded, well your major "tool" is the rotation director & your dean of students. Meet with them, lay out your case (easier with objective data as above), and ask them to intervene. You may not prevail, but it's the professional and mature way to handle it.

That being said, a single eval will not sink you. Talking w/ your dean will get this person's comments stricken from your MSPE, and if you rock the rotation/shelf otherwise, a single eval means little.

Don't request a LoR from them though. d=)

Cheers!
-d

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

What happens in residency (you are licensed and thus are listed on those sites) when your attending or co-resident doesn't like you and gives YOU bad reviews online? It works both ways. If you could do it, so could they. However, anyone petty and vindictive enough to do this clearly has other issues going on. And, if anybody ever traced that IP back to you, you may be looking for a new job, put on disciplinary actions, or find yourself reported to the state board for unethical conduct. Could probably also get yourself sued by the other party...

I believe the term the OP is looking for is "slander."

Sounds like something a bitter ex-girlfriend does to get "revenge"

Shrug off the "bad" eval, and move on. You'll never have to speak to that attending for the rest of your life.

What happens in residency (you are licensed and thus are listed on those sites) when your attending or co-resident doesn't like you and gives YOU bad reviews online? It works both ways. If you could do it, so could they. However, anyone petty and vindictive enough to do this clearly has other issues going on. And, if anybody ever traced that IP back to you, you may be looking for a new job, put on disciplinary actions, or find yourself reported to the state board for unethical conduct. Could probably also get yourself sued by the other party...

Did you read what I wrote?...maybe learn to read before you post!? I said I would take the necessary precautions online, which means not use my real ip address when posting. I am skilled enough to be able to do this. Also, I wrote that I would not be doing this thus i used the word "hypothetical". I mainly started this thread to vent about how much control some *******s have over your careers and how they can misuse that by giving you an unfair eval just bc they can. It is disheartening especially after receiving excellent evals up to this point and busting ass.

LOL no one's going to go to that much trouble tracking down an anonymous bad online review.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a rotation like that. I showed up every day, took the "women don't belong in medicine" comments every day, stayed late everyday, went to morning report every day, etc.

On the day of the evaluation the guy bought me coffee, proceeded to tell me that I would never make it in residency, that I should be home taking care of my children, and that he questioned my commitment to medicine, blah, blah, blah. He gave me a 72 (70 is passing). All the rest of my evals were 95+. I took my paper and walked away. I told the rotations office that I did not accept this evaluation and they really needed to rethink using him for rotations or at least don't have any more women rotate with him. My grade was "adjusted" to relect my other rotations.

Just do your best. As the other's say one eval won't be the end. Just verbalize your disgust with the rotations office. It's the best you can do and at least you will feel like you had a voice in the matter.

I feel like a lot of medical school is learning to just sit there and take it. There is a lot that doesn't make sense. People get in bad moods and take it out on you for one reason or another. I've been yelled at for things completely out of my control. I look at it as an exercise in character building. As much as you want to do something about an injustice or whatever, in the vast majority of cases its better just to take it and move on.

Sounds like you have a little growing up to do. Every medical student has attendings who they don't connect with or they feel "scutted" them out. Chalk it up as a life lesson and remember in the future that this is how you DON'T want to act.

Survivor DO

Did you read what I wrote?...maybe learn to read before you post!? I said I would take the necessary precautions online, which means not use my real ip address when posting. I am skilled enough to be able to do this. Also, I wrote that I would not be doing this thus i used the word "hypothetical". I mainly started this thread to vent about how much control some *******s have over your careers and how they can misuse that by giving you an unfair eval just bc they can. It is disheartening especially after receiving excellent evals up to this point and busting ass.

We understand the need to vent.

But being rude to another user, especially one who was trying to help, is uncalled for.

I had a rotation like that. I showed up every day, took the "women don't belong in medicine" comments every day, stayed late everyday, went to morning report every day, etc.

On the day of the evaluation the guy bought me coffee, proceeded to tell me that I would never make it in residency, that I should be home taking care of my children, and that he questioned my commitment to medicine, blah, blah, blah. He gave me a 72 (70 is passing). All the rest of my evals were 95+. I took my paper and walked away. I told the rotations office that I did not accept this evaluation and they really needed to rethink using him for rotations or at least don't have any more women rotate with him. My grade was "adjusted" to relect my other rotations.

Just do your best. As the other's say one eval won't be the end. Just verbalize your disgust with the rotations office. It's the best you can do and at least you will feel like you had a voice in the matter.

+1000

Most of us have had crappy evals that didn't reflect our clinical ability. It works out fine.

I would have found a way to get some of that on tape. Crazy. I'm glad that it worked out for you with the grade adjustment. And I agree that one bad evaluation won't hurt. PDs typically have been around the block a time or two and won't overreact to an outlier. I'm reminded of a time that I was expressing angst to my med school academic advisor, who was also a PD, about my OB/Gyn clerkship grade. She responded, "the only people who care about how well you did on OB/Gyn are OB/Gyns." Unless this preceptor holds some sort of sway over your residency (e.g. he would be a valuable LOR writer), then brush it off.

We understand the need to vent.

But being rude to another user, especially one who was trying to help, is uncalled for.

I apologize for being rude. I felt that the comment was backhanded. But I have moved on. It sucks that I aced the shelf and still ended up with a pass...oh well c'est la vie.

Thanks everybody for all the support!

I would have found a way to get some of that on tape. Crazy. I'm glad that it worked out for you with the grade adjustment. And I agree that one bad evaluation won't hurt. PDs typically have been around the block a time or two and won't overreact to an outlier. I'm reminded of a time that I was expressing angst to my med school academic advisor, who was also a PD, about my OB/Gyn clerkship grade. She responded, "the only people who care about how well you did on OB/Gyn are OB/Gyns." Unless this preceptor holds some sort of sway over your residency (e.g. he would be a valuable LOR writer), then brush it off.

I agree for the most part, but cabinbuilder's PD was definitely crossing the line! She would have had a good basis to get him fired if you wanted to.

Haha I think I had the same thing told to me by my advisor for the same clerkship (OB was also my lowest clerkship grade).

I'm sorry you had to go through that!
Who would think that in this age there are still Doctors like that guy?

But to the op, even if hypothetically, it's not worth it as said before, don't get into his level. It's bad karma.
What goes around comes around, just be the better person and move along.

I agree for the most part, but cabinbuilder's PD was definitely crossing the line! She would have had a good basis to get him fired if you wanted to.

The sad thing is he wasn't a PD for me, just some guy I was assigned to for an IM rotation. He was an ASS, I suffered through and got away ASAP. Don't think for one minute at the medical school I didn't rip him a good one on the rotation eval. It wasn't the first time I ran into that type of issue. I was prepared.

I'm sorry you had to go through that!
Who would think that in this age there are still Doctors like that guy?

Sad to say there are MANY like that. The thing about it was he was THE SAME AGE AS ME - late 30's at that time. So I'm like WTF? is this? Needless to say his prediction for me did not come true. I did just fine in residency, I still have passion for medicine, and I didn't abandon my kids. Such as it is......

Wowzers. I don't even know how I'd react in that situation, I've never come across anyone that bad.

You have no right to do that. You were not the patient, so you should not be posing/posting as one. Furthermore, it's an extremely passive-aggressive move that would only be done by someone who was incapable of handling the situation in a mature fashion.

If you have a problem, you should either talk to the individual directly, or if that's too uncomfortable, then go to the course director and express your concerns.

I'm not sure what you mean by fired, but I agree he shouldn't be precepting, as implied by my comment about getting it on tape. My advise about brushing off one bad evaluation was intended for the OP.

I almost did once because third year as a whole pissed me off a lot but I realized it wouldn't do anything for that attendings business because most of his patients could not speak or read English to begin with and 30% did not have insurance to pay for his services. Then third year ended and that was that. That's one thing to keep in mind, you aren't stuck there in perpetuity. It's simply a lesson to be learned, and then you move on.

What you complain about is just the nature of medical education and it's to your benefit to have the ability to let things go and not let the rage boil inside you.

Wowzers. I don't even know how I'd react in that situation, I've never come across anyone that bad.

For me at that time, this guy was probably the 7-8 doctor to talk to me that way so I was pretty toughened up by that point in my life. I just got used to expect the ugly and not take it personally because in the end they were attacking parts of me and my life they knew nothing about - namely my passion, my character, and my family. My first week of residency I had an older attending ask me "aren't you a little old to be an intern?" only to be followed by another asking me if I was "about 30?" Absolutely!!! - I was 37. So take it as it is I guess. I achieved my goal intact and am my own soul. No one owns me. My husband loves me and I have great, well-adjusted kids. Those people don't matter in the end. I love what I do, get to travel, and feel like I make a difference most days. IT'S OK.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1366754531.865691.jpg

This is the height of douchery. You didn't get a good eval because you didn't perform. He is actually doing his job (and a favor to everyone else) by giving you a ****ty eval. It has very little to do with the doctor. Don't do it.

This is the height of douchery. You didn't get a good eval because you didn't perform. He is actually doing his job (and a favor to everyone else) by giving you a ****ty eval. It has very little to do with the doctor. Don't do it.

Its called tit for tat.

Its called tit for tat.

Why replicate douchey behavior back? One tiny eval isn't gonna make you go unmatched. Neither is the effect of some random anon comment from a doctor's "grading site". If some middle aged soccer mom takes that comment seriously...it's not a big loss for the doctor anyway :p

At least you seem like you're moving on from it. Come fourth year you'll forget that attending ever existed. :cool:

There was an attending at a community hospital where I rotated who was real nasty to the students and residents. I did not give him a bad eval. The residents hated this attending for his bad bahavior and eventually he ended up getting a warning from the higher ups at the hospital. It got so bad one of the female residents refused to work with him. It took a while but it did happen. So, there is hope.

There was an attending at a community hospital where I rotated who was real nasty to the students and residents. I did not give him a bad eval. The residents hated this attending for his bad bahavior and eventually he ended up getting a warning from the higher ups at the hospital. It got so bad one of the female residents refused to work with him. It took a while but it did happen. So, there is hope.

This whole thread was just a rant. The ***** that called it the "height of douchery" whom i replied didn't read my posts. I didn't give him a negative review online except via the school's internal review.

This story is pretty crazy, but it just goes to show that some of these evaluators are idiots and you can't take these things to seriously. Strange that careers can be influenced by things like this and the medical community is fine with it. An eval like that could stop some people from matching in some fields, and it's all BS.

Btw, awesome attitude and spirit to get through such a terrible experience. Sometimes medicine is pretty screwed up.

Unfortunately, guys like that cause casualties on their way down.

I feel like a lot of medical school is learning to just sit there and take it. There is a lot that doesn't make sense. People get in bad moods and take it out on you for one reason or another. I've been yelled at for things completely out of my control. I look at it as an exercise in character building. As much as you want to do something about an injustice or whatever, in the vast majority of cases its better just to take it and move on.

This. I'm almost at the end of my clinical rotations. I couldn't have said it better. I just hope that the good students who work hard will not get discouraged and continue in the path of medicine.

You should absolutely do it. If he hurt your career then you should hurt his. Just make sure theres no way for it to blow back on you.

Anyone who even considers doing this should also not consider themselves adults. You (in the broadest of terms) might have worked you ass off but didn't meet the criteria of the attending, then there is a rational behind the bad eval. What you though you did and what happened are two different things. And there are appropriate channels (appeals and etc) Im sure every med school has to make sure people aren't punished unfairly. But to hold a grudge and go ruin someone's career for giving you an evaluation, thats regressing to a toddler's level.

Last edited:
Those little online evals mean nothing for a physician. Obviously, it's only a 3rd year eval, so realistically I know this is no big deal for anyone, but just an interesting topic of discussion :p

this is such bad karma. You got a bad eval. Learn from it and move on. Set the example for those who come after you

That is bull**** mentality. The number 1 reason why third year is so ****ty is because you are on the bottom of the totem pole. If the attending wants you to eat **** then you eat ****. Things would be different if the attendings themselves got a pay reduction from ****ty reviews or if grades were just pass not pass.

Again, if you feel justified then you should absolutely leave a negative eval for the attending.

That is bull**** mentality. The number 1 reason why third year is so ****ty is because you are on the bottom of the totem pole. If the attending wants you to eat **** then you eat ****. Things would be different if the attendings themselves got a pay reduction from ****ty reviews or if grades were just pass not pass.

Again, if you feel justified then you should absolutely leave a negative eval for the attending.

The point is though is that these evals aren't gonna destroy your career(granted you didn't fail) and a random online eval from an enraged soccer mom will only stop 3-4 soccer moms from going to that physician.

Besides, it's only third year, it's really not that bad of a place. Again, people who do this sounds like the bitter ex-girlfriend that wants to try to get "revenge" when everyone around her thinks she should chill out and move on :p

OP said this was a hypothetical case, and I doubt regular med students would care that much to want revenge. It's only an eeny bitty eval.

The point is though is that these evals aren't gonna destroy your career(granted you didn't fail) and a random online eval from an enraged soccer mom will only stop 3-4 soccer moms from going to that physician.

Besides, it's only third year, it's really not that bad of a place. Again, people who do this sounds like the bitter ex-girlfriend that wants to try to get "revenge" when everyone around her thinks she should chill out and move on :p

OP said this was a hypothetical case, and I doubt regular med students would care that much to want revenge. It's only an eeny bitty eval.

I actually did end up posting a ****ty review of him. You try to **** my career up. Imma do the same to you. Eye for an Eye.

And the rotation after that I was at a private clinic. I hinted to the attending that nowadays its very easy to write anything about anyone online and remain anonymous. I told him I'm sure disgruntled former students have wrote stuff about you online. He took it as a sign and I got an A on that rotation. Just a word of advice to third year students this year, drop a hint and let them know that you will not take their bull****. Nothing less than an As on the clinical evals. Society has gotten so competitive that you have to use these scorched earth tactics if you want to get ahead imho.

I actually did end up posting a ****ty review of him. You try to **** my career up. Imma do the same to you. Eye for an Eye.

And the rotation after that I was at a private clinic. I hinted to the attending that nowadays its very easy to write anything about anyone online and remain anonymous. I told him I'm sure disgruntled former students have wrote stuff about you online. He took it as a sign and I got an A on that rotation. Just a word of advice to third year students this year, drop a hint and let them know that you will not take their bull****. Nothing less than an As on the clinical evals. Society has gotten so competitive that you have to use these scorched earth tactics if you want to get ahead imho.

Threats to coerce someone from being honest? You know you're a horrible contrast to all things ethical, right? Also, I would have thrown you out of my building

I'm lost. How does this tiny puny grade affect your career in any way possible?

Assuming this isn't some absurd troll post, I'll take the bait. Rather than work hard at a rotation and be a likable person, you're going to go directly to subversive threats? What if the physician decides that he'll play along, gather evidence of your attempts to blackmail him and then report you to your academic dean? What if this physician you've played petty games with decides to find out what your residency goals are and mentions this to his friends in that field? Do you seriously think your little threat is going to matter then?