WVSOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Uh oh.....maybe not.....check the FB discussions (Curriculum discussion)

I know, I just noticed, too :/ That's kind of a bummer. Oh well, guinea pigs aren't always the best thing to be...there will be glitches and what not with the first trial of anything. The only thing I would be wary of is if you are a 2014er who is adamant on PBL--you may want to reconsider this now that you will have a complete flip in curriculum for your 2nd year. Just something to think about...

I know, I just noticed, too :/ That's kind of a bummer. Oh well, guinea pigs aren't always the best thing to be...there will be glitches and what not with the first trial of anything. The only thing I would be wary of is if you are a 2014er who is adamant on PBL--you may want to reconsider this now that you will have a complete flip in curriculum for your 2nd year. Just something to think about...

Oh I got from that post that the PBL is going away entirely, and that they will only have the "old" sbl pathway.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Next fall they are getting rid of PBL for the incoming class, but not introducing the case base learning method until the following year."

From what I take, they're getting rid of PBL according to schedule (that we were under the impression of, aka for this Fall), but the whole "integrated curriculum" we were anticipating also for this Fall will not be in affect until Fall 2011, a year later than what we were thinking.

"Next fall they are getting rid of PBL for the incoming class, but not introducing the case base learning method until the following year."

From what I take, they're getting rid of PBL according to schedule (that we were under the impression of, aka for this Fall), but the whole "integrated curriculum" we were anticipating also for this Fall will not be in affect until Fall 2011, a year later than what we were thinking.

right, but will we get it as second years?

I was at WVSOM yesterday and loved it. School was beautiful and people were so nice.

Today I checked my status as Annette suggested and it says "Accept Applicant." No congrats or anything, just that and info on some of the other forms. Is this what it said for everyone who got accepted? I want to get really excited but still kinda holding back just in case. Please let me know if that's what it said for you.

I was at WVSOM yesterday and loved it. School was beautiful and people were so nice.

Today I checked my status as Annette suggested and it says "Accept Applicant." No congrats or anything, just that and info on some of the other forms. Is this what it said for everyone who got accepted? I want to get really excited but still kinda holding back just in case. Please let me know if that's what it said for you.

By all means be happy and join the facebook group...because "accept applicant" means we will see you in the fall (provided you chose to come).

CONGRATS!

Hey Guys,
I recently interviewed at this school and my status has remained "Decision Pending". I spoke with Annette this morning and she told me that a decision has been made but she couldn't tell me. I'm supposed to get a letter in the mail. My MCAT is low but my GPA is high. Is this a rejection or wait-list? Also, if it is a wait-list, what are my chances of getting in this year? Would appreciate the feedback!

haha yea, that's the same way i felt when i saw "accept applicant". I hadn't noticed what it said before my interview so I wasn't sure how to take it haha..I just kept it to myself till i got a letter in the mail. Congratulations though

Yo so I have a interview in about two weeks any advice guys? I know this is a not good question to ask, but what are the chances of an acceptance if I seem like a likeable person?

Anyway holla WVSOM peeps

Yo so I have a interview in about two weeks any advice guys? I know this is a not good question to ask, but what are the chances of an acceptance if I seem like a likeable person?

70% acceptance rate for those interviewed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all of those who have gotten in! I received my interview invitation and will be interviewing on the 12th of February. What types of questions did they ask you for those who have already interviewed?

i'm sure its different for everybody person but for me they asked me why i chose to apply to wvsom and do i know anyone who went here? Also a given is why you wanna be a doctor? They are also are very big on OMT (you watch a short video on it before you interview in the waiting area). The interview is honestly very laid back and they don't try to stump you with any questions. Just know your application because mostly all the questions are application specific. The admissions people are possibly the friendliest people in the world it's like they came out of an episode of full house.They actually make it enjoyable to be there so there's no need to be nervous. WVSOM is really like one big family.

I suggest looking over the interview feedbacks for WVSOM. It's open file, so they ask question specific to you. Here's what I was told by the students we ate lunch with. They start judging you as soon as you park your car on campus. :) (No pressure) So, be polite, be positive, and be yourself.

And I agree with phillies09, Angie and Annette are both wonderful, and about the friendliest people on earth.

I suggest looking over the interview feedbacks for WVSOM. It's open file, so they ask question specific to you. Here's what I was told by the students we ate lunch with. They start judging you as soon as you park your car on campus. :) (No pressure) So, be polite, be positive, and be yourself.

And I agree with phillies09, Angie and Annette are both wonderful, and about the friendliest people on earth.

I didnt see that OMM Video. My questions were really specific, like things about my research, extracurricular, and my plans.

Be prepared to talk about your specifics

I have an interview on 2/24 in the morning. Anyone else??

I received a phone call last Thursday.

I interviewed here on 1/22 and was accepted 2/2! I am so excited, I totally am in love with this school and can't wait to start in the fall!

I interviewed here on 1/22 and was accepted 2/2! I am so excited, I totally am in love with this school and can't wait to start in the fall!

Congratulations! Join the facebook group :)

Hey everyone. I sent my deposit in today. I joined the FB group and I'm excited about meeting you all. Best of luck to anyone left to interview and I'll see you in the Fall!

Congrats!! And....canes....as in, Miami Hurricanes??? I just graduated from the U this past May.....

yeah!! I graduated 2 years ago... took some time off did research and worked and now getting back to school. so i'm super excited :)

Congrats! Anyone else trying for the HPSP that went in for Feb.9 boards? Man I hate waiting!

yeah!! I graduated 2 years ago... took some time off did research and worked and now getting back to school. so i'm super excited :)

That make's THREE of us now! What a small world. Whodda thought 3 canes would end up in rural WV for med school! I think it's best we don't have the distracting invitation of the grove on a Thursday night or Key Biscayne on Saturday afternoon to drag us from our studies, though ;) However...being in northern WV right now...the snow is KILLING me. I could go for some Miami vitamin D right about now. Congrats, again!

Can someone tell me how often the adcom meets? I have an interview in early March and was wondering how long before I may get an answer.

Can someone tell me how often the adcom meets? I have an interview in early March and was wondering how long before I may get an answer.

Tuesday, every Tuesday, unless they are away on buisness

Good Luck!

DO2bSC,

Where are you from in South Carolina? I'm also from the Palmetto State.

hey guys!

does anyone know about how long it takes for the school to mail out the acceptance packet? and how long from the time that we get accepted do we have to put the first deposit down?

I was just wondering...i don't think it'll sink it fully that I'm accepted until i get that packet lol

That make's THREE of us now! What a small world. Whodda thought 3 canes would end up in rural WV for med school! I think it's best we don't have the distracting invitation of the grove on a Thursday night or Key Biscayne on Saturday afternoon to drag us from our studies, though ;) However...being in northern WV right now...the snow is KILLING me. I could go for some Miami vitamin D right about now. Congrats, again!

lol I'm still in florida...I've lived here all my life so i guess i'm the one who get to have the out of state experience :) you're right about getting distracted by the grove and south beach. But i figured that I'd live it up now while i have the chance . Let me know if you plan on visiting the area before school starts. the canes should reunite lol

has anyone heard anything today or seen any changes on their profile on the WVSOM website?

hey guys!

does anyone know about how long it takes for the school to mail out the acceptance packet? and how long from the time that we get accepted do we have to put the first deposit down?

I was just wondering...i don't think it'll sink it fully that I'm accepted until i get that packet lol

I've been accepted since last cycle (alternate list candidate)...and I've yet to receive my packet. I asked the admissions ladies once about that and I believe I remember them saying it would not come until much later in the Spring/year this year. :( Trust me, I'm itchin' for it, too!

And I am SO jealous you are in FL still and I'm not!! This snow is getting so old up here. I miss my Miami sunshine! WV is getting HAMMERED. Granted, this is a pretty uncommon winter--I lived in CT for 10+ years and our winters were more like this. I just hope the next few winters here are milder!

ACCEPTED!

Does anybody know if the government IBR loan repayment program is running now?

If so the 10 year service repayment program under IBR would really lessen my worries substantially about oos tuition at WVSOM.

I love the school and am debating between here and a less expensive school which does not have as much to offer facility wise like WVSOM.

Last edited:
I've been trying to log on to the checklist to see if my supplemental info and check have been received but have been getting an error message since last night. Anyone else having this issue?

I've been trying to log on to the checklist to see if my supplemental info and check have been received but have been getting an error message since last night. Anyone else having this issue?

I've had a problem viewing my checklist since yesterday too.

Hey everyone! Is anyone here interviewing on March 5th? Maybe we can go together. I see that 75% of people interviewed are accepted yay!!! =)

Just curious..is a LOR from a DO mandatory for acceptance or can it be from an MD?

Just curious..is a LOR from a DO mandatory for acceptance or can it be from an MD?

Yes, a letter of recommendation from a DO is required for acceptance. If you have already interviewed and you did not have your DO letter at that time, they will wait until they receive your letter to make their final decision. But yes, it is an absolute must.

Leaving tomorrow for an interview on Wednesday. Anyone else?

I just got a email saying decision deferred. What does that mean? Before I called because my status has been decision pending for a while and they said they would pull my file now. After, that they emailed me and asked for more info. about my grades. I emailed them a letter and now I a got decision deferred. Can anybody offer help?

I just got a email saying decision deferred. What does that mean? Before I called because my status has been decision pending for a while and they said they would pull my file now. After, that they emailed me and asked for more info. about my grades. I emailed them a letter and now I a got decision deferred. Can anybody offer help?

call the office....something about your application was not complete