Yale CME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is this CME going to help strengthen the integrity of medicine as an institution, and Psychiatry?

• Yes, this will strengthen it

• No, this will not strengthen it

• Unsure, this needs further reflection

• I'm only here for the donuts and coffee.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sushirolls

Topped with salmon, avocado and tobiko
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

This is a link to a Yale CME. Is this something that is going to help further the integrity of the medical institution and profession as a whole, or in part Psychiatry, as it relates to medicine.

*Poll above is not public, and you need to vote to see results.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
This is absolutely disgusting. More and more psychiatry is being politicized.

I have noticed academic papers more and more have provocative titles that belie their actual content, but in this case reading the section under "Needs assessment," it seems like there's not much below the surface. It's less subtle and less academic (and less well written) than even a set-up on one of those pundit talk shows. I mean is there evidence that more people are "losing it"? That seems to be a perception, but is it born of evidence? Maybe, but I wouldn't take my gut feeling as evidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Directly from the flyer:

"Needs assessment
Everyone is talking about race right now. Especially white people. And yet, white people seem to be losing it. The number of Karen and "It's my right to not wear a mask" videos are exploding. How do we understand this psychologically?"

I can't comprehend how Yale or any professional organization would consider this appropriate and just further tarnishes their reputation of prestige in my eyes. There's not even an effort to hide the obvious bias of the session. What a joke.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
This literally looks like something in a Brietbart article about "wokeness". The wording of this flyer shows that it's so obviously biased that it's bordering on unprofessional. How many "Karens" does she think she's really gonna win over with a presentation that starts like that?

Her web-site says she treats whiteness.

Well, you can pick up a bottle of dihydroxyacetone to treat whiteness at CVS for $5.99.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I didn't know what this "Karen" stuff meant until about 3 or 4 months ago. Is this because I am not on any social media...or because I don't find such phraseology and discussion helpful.... and not the least bit interesting, frankly?

Ignorance of public health and its rightful authority in our society is one thing, but reducing things to such simplistic/derogatory nicknames and generalizations (I mean... "Psychopathic Problems of the White Mind"....get real folks!!) does not bolster the intellectual reputation of a profession that is working to be being more "inclusive" due to its history of being narrow-minded and biased (both historically and recently).

And, who approved this flyer?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
This is absolutely disgusting. More and more psychiatry is being politicized.

this is the new trend and people like to build career on it.

Some quotes:

"This is the cost of talking to white people at all. The cost of your own life, as they suck you dry. There are no good apples out there. White people make my blood boil." (Time stamp: 6:45)

"I had fantasies of unloading a revolver into the head of any white person that got in my way, burying their body, and wiping my bloody hands as I walked away relatively guiltless with a bounce in my step. Like I did the world a ****ing favor. " (Time stamp: 7:17)

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some quotes:

"This is the cost of talking to white people at all. The cost of your own life, as they suck you dry. There are no good apples out there. White people make my blood boil." (Time stamp: 6:45)

"I had fantasies of unloading a revolver into the head of any white person that got in my way, burying their body, and wiping my bloody hands as I walked away relatively guiltless with a bounce in my step. Like I did the world a ****ing favor. " (Time stamp: 7:17)
Like.... the Capulets and Montagues? But without all the teen sex? No thanks!

Last edited:
She talks about that early in the lecture regarding her own analysis training.
The ''Uncle George's pancakes fallacy'' is exemplified by the clinician who, told that a patient stored leftover pancakes in the attic, declares, ''Why, there is nothing so terrible about that -- I remember good old Uncle George from my childhood, he used to store pancakes in the attic.''

While we of course don't want get into the "protest psychosis" racist nonsense from the past...we DO need to be able to recognize when popular beliefs/mantras of a profession may be looked back upon, at a later time, as being rather ridiculous and... unscientific.

Last edited:
Wait, is this actually real? Like, this isn't a planted joke, or satire?
Honestly, this doesn't come as a surprise to me as being real. I count myself as a progressive, but I force myself to read Twitter accounts of pretty far right pundits. There is quite a lot that the center and left don't always reckon with or even realize exist that these accounts point out. Of course, these Twitter accounts highlight the extremes.

Here is a link to the recorded lecture.

I wonder after listening to it if I can still get the CME.
Read her interview.

I agree with her part about about being able to speak your mind. Like I noticed on SDN there's some new stuff about visions and values, and I imagine it's why one poster who used to be here isn't anymore.

And like I am even self censoring right now wondering when she made the comparison of whites to Asians if I can say what I am thinking, but I guess I'll just leave it at wondering if she's at all familiar with Japanese imperialism.

Her stuff about gluten is funny, like stand up comedy:

" White people have an intense level of guilt. I have never seen a level of guilt that I see among white people. I mean, white people don't eat bread. Think about that. There have been wars all over the world over grains and bread and only here, white people are depriving themselves. Think about that ****. Everyone has this gluten allergy and you're like, what the f*** is a gluten allergy? That's a psychosomatic symptom. If you actually talk to a GI doctor, they're going to say, “Well, there’s Celiac and there's everything else” with a wink, and you know what the “everything else” is. It’s all the guilty gluten people."

Also funny was the part about saying guilt is the most useless emotion, and then segueing right into talking about the psychopathy of white people—seemingly unaware of the connection between the two.

And then later said,

"I’m saying that talking about race right now like white people are doing, like occupying that much space for something they’ve never actually gone through but see themselves as self-appointed experts as, it serves a defensive function to not feel a negative feeling because if you're teaching about it and you're able to give and help, you don’t actually have to do the thing that is harder, which is feel negative feelings."

So is guilt useless or not? How can you self-punish yourself by denying yourself bread and be psychopathic at the same time?

She's interesting; I will give her that.

After thinking about this, I wanted to add that I do think it's a bit unfair to point out just the zaniness of some people of color, and that maybe some of the extremes some people go to are counter-reactions or even some sort of dadaism in response to years of actual horrible treatment.

Normalizing it academically is a bit different.

The reason I thought of this was thinking back on a "group psychiatrist" I saw for six weeks who led what is called among other mental health professionals in my area a cult, which I did not know when I started with him. He made me throw a hat away during one of these "sessions" in front of everyone because he said it made me look like (name of ethnic slur). He told us not to eat certain vegetables because they were picked by (name of ethnic group). He was insane and racist. I was implored to report him to the board, but he was so on edge that I got really scared when I was asked to give my name and didn't. There have been attempts to shut him down, which have failed. If he can practice still and was even faculty at a university, well I just wanted to point out there has been insane racism all around. His problems went way beyond racism, though. But somehow he got through med school, residency, and even taught, and was able to do that while espousing awful beliefs.

It's not like there aren't real racism issues. We still had "slave auctions" at my high school in the 1990s, and the governor of my state, a medical doctor, dressed in blackface during medical school.

So, I don't understand her responses entirely. But I don't need to entirely.

Last edited:
Have you seen her TikTok?
She’s out of her mind, literally. She keeps thinking and seeing the world as a huge collective white aggressor unconscious—anyone that spends that much time in the unconscious state, well, kinda loses it…

How does she still have her license?
I feel like someone is going to file a complaint with the NY medical board pretty soon.

It’s no different than that resident in Ohio who wrote “death to Jews” when she was in Med school and was then kicked out of her residency when those tweets were uncovered.

How can she in good faith still practice medicine? How can she advocate for “white violence” (literally in all her Tik Tok tags) and still be called a physician who took a Hippocratic oath to “do no harm”? She’s legit violating ethics and licensing regulations, especially since her Tik Tok uses her MD in the username.

Smh, she went through all this psychoanalysis training only to become a bitter, hateful person—it’s quite sad.

She literally says all white people are evil and that she despises Cornell and Columbia and white people and basically America. I understand putting your racist colleagues or training program on blast, but to say that every single white person in America is the same? And they don’t eat bread and only steal recipes from POC? Wut?? Lol. I don’t know maybe she’s right about everything but at least don’t be dumb enough to put your medical license at risk by advocating violence against a skin color, as if all white people were slave owners…what about the Irish who are white or Italians who can be white, both of which were stereotyped and seen as inferior and **** on by Anglosaxans.

Peace and love man, stop the hate. Cut us open and we all bleed the same.

okay, end rant lol.

Last edited:
  • Love
DMX died of heart disease, genetics, and his own ridiculous living/lifestyle. Jesus Christ!

Is the important take-away of her tweets/messages....

Last edited:
Have you seen her TikTok?
She’s out of her mind, literally. She keeps thinking and seeing the world as a huge collective white aggressor unconscious—anyone that spends that much time in the unconscious state, well, kinda loses it…

How does she still have her license?
I feel like someone is going to file a complaint with the NY medical board pretty soon.

It’s no different than that resident in Ohio who wrote “death to Jews” when she was in Med school and was then kicked out of her residency when those tweets were uncovered.

How can she in good faith still practice medicine? How can she advocate for “white violence” (literally in all her Tik Tok tags) and still be called a physician who took a Hippocratic oath to “do no harm”? She’s legit violating ethics and licensing regulations, especially since her Tik Tok uses her MD in the username.

Smh, she went through all this psychoanalysis training only to become a bitter, hateful person—it’s quite sad.

She literally says all white people are evil and that she despises Cornell and Columbia and white people and basically America. I understand putting your racist colleagues or training program on blast, but to say that every single white person in America is the same? And they don’t eat bread and only steal recipes from POC? Wut?? Lol. I don’t know maybe she’s right about everything but at least don’t be dumb enough to put your medical license at risk by advocating violence against a skin color, as if all white people were slave owners…what about the Irish who are white or Italians who can be white, both of which were stereotyped and seen as inferior and **** on by Anglosaxans.

Peace and love man, stop the hate. Cut us open and we all bleed the same.

okay, end rant lol.

For a career based upon providing an unbiased opinion to the courts: What a great way to destroy what you’ve built.
DMX died of heart disease, genetics, and his own ridiculous living/lifestyle. Jesus Christ!

Is the important take-away of her tweets/messages...

Wow. I remember Yale was going in this direction, when I interviewed there for residency. They had very strong push towards diversity at the expense of merit.

I do believe diversity is beneficial, but I didn't expect it to go this far where someone is allowed to outright belittle an entire racial group at one of the most prestigious institutions in psychiatry. Yale should at least issue a formal apology.

She talks about that early in the lecture regarding her own analysis training.
You take at face value her description of her analyst as a "white bitch" who "called me psychotic" every time she expressed anger?

Is the important take-away of her tweets/messages....
To be fair, under our new woke regime, it's "settled science" that the reason blacks are at higher risk of heart disease, cocaine addiction, etc. is systemic racism.

Directly from the flyer:

"Needs assessment
Everyone is talking about race right now. Especially white people. And yet, white people seem to be losing it. The number of Karen and "It's my right to not wear a mask" videos are exploding. How do we understand this psychologically?"

I can't comprehend how Yale or any professional organization would consider this appropriate and just further tarnishes their reputation of prestige in my eyes. There's not even an effort to hide the obvious bias of the session. What a joke.
Dr brandy lee was a Yale Psychiatrist who said trump was unfit from a psych perspective

You all might be interested in this:

The JAMA editor was forced to resign for saying that socioeconomic factors associated with race more than racism affect health.

That certainly seems quite plausible to me.

It seems to me that there is a general trend where everyone is going to have to identify as something to get their piece of the pie. And we'll have to go one by one down the line of each group to make people whole.

Whereas, it would be much more sensible to just say everyone needs a piece of the pie.

This was reflected in the 2020 Democratic primary where you had Bernie Sanders on one side who understood it from an economic perspective (but had to give in to the new civil rights movement—what some people call woke but is certainly not synonymous with black voters—by trying to tailor his message) and people like Kamala Harris who ran on representing the "Obama coalition" which is code for saying she could cobble together the right demographics to win.

As an example, they didn't get that if you stop executions altogether, you solve the problem of black people being overrepresented in death penalty cases. Sure it's the wrong way to get there. But should we even be arguing about equality over something that should be ended for everyone? Do we need the exact right ratio of executions? If you create social programs where everyone is automatically included, people are less likely to bicker about who gets what and will be more likely to accept them. When you start saying people making over a certain amount of money shouldn't get tuition free college, you start dividing people up again. If you make that much money, you pay a lot of taxes and should get your taxes' worth in tuition free college like everyone else. This is what Olof Palme (the architect of Sweden's welfare state) understood. He said that people will reject welfare if everyone doesn't receive it. Welfare in the term I am using it is not a handout. It is an investment in people. And it can't be divided up by income and race and gender and all that. It's just a mess that way.

I don't know a lot about it from the health perspective side, but I know from college admissions which my parents worked in, family income was the number 1 predictor of SAT scores. Race played a role, but it was far lower when adjusted for income than the other way around.

The current model of the new civil rights movement has people fighting each other for table scraps. They don't address the economic system. They seem to ignore it altogether and focus instead on the fairness of who gets what among low paying jobs.

It's tedious and clinical.

And this editor was fired (said resigned but I assumed actually fired) for saying it.

This is where as a progressive the Democrats really annoy me.

I mean, psychiatry has pathologized being Black, gay, trans, being a woman…so it’s about time it got around to pathologizing whiteness.

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 4 users
Well, her Tik Tok page gained like ~7k likes in less than a day, which is scary. She is now more infamous thanks to being featured on Fox News.

Many people are complaining to the NY Medical Board, however, so I wonder what will happen to her. Calling for violence and spewing hate against people no matter their race or color, isn’t exactly ‘physician’ - like, and isn’t very professional, either.

Last edited:
If you choose to openly fantasize about killing people, especially in your professional life, that should disqualify you for any licensure in healthcare or profession that involves public safety.

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
This news is becoming viral and the consensus among the general population is that she messed up. People are calling to revoke her medical license. We'll see if she really believes in her message or she if just wanted to win some brownie (pun not intended) points for being "woke".

I wonder how Yale is going to do damage control. And who in the right mind would okay this topic for CME credit?

As someone previously mentioned, there was a Yale psychiatrist who crossed the Goldwater rule just because she disagreed with the politics. Yale's reputation is more and more tarnished.

She claims people were racist against her in residency and so forth. And that’s why she doesn’t like any white people and refuses to have any white friends.

Maybe, just maybe, she’s just not a nice friendly person, and that’s why people didn’t like her in residency?

Also, looks like she works in a public toilet according to Google and is permanently closed 😭; oh man people are really responding to this story.

Attachments

• 194B3EFE-DAC5-4895-B885-D2D58FA20B26.jpeg
    194B3EFE-DAC5-4895-B885-D2D58FA20B26.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 96
Well that was quick:

Yale responds:

“Yale Medical School sent Newsweek a statement on Saturday saying that after Khilanani's talk "several faculty members expressed concern to the Yale School of Medicine's Office of Academic and Professional Development and the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion about the content of the talk."

School of Medicine leaders reviewed a recording of the talk and "found the tone and content antithetical to the values of the school."
"In deciding whether to post the video, we weighed our grave concern about the extreme hostility, imagery of violence, and profanity expressed by the speaker against our commitment to freedom of expression," the school said.
"We ultimately decided to post the video with access limited to those who could have attended the talk— the members of the Yale community. To emphasize that the ideas expressed by the speaker conflict with the core values of Yale School of Medicine, we added the disclaimer: 'This video contains profanity and imagery of violence. Yale School of Medicine expects the members of our community to speak respectfully to one another and to avoid the use of profanity as a matter of professionalism and acknowledgment of our common humanity. Yale School of Medicine does not condone imagery of violence or racism against any group.'"

Well, her Tik Tok page gained like ~7k likes in less than a day, which is scary. She is now more infamous thanks to being featured on Fox News.

Many people are complaining to the NY Medical Board, however, so I wonder what will happen to her. Calling for violence and spewing hate against people no matter their race or color, isn’t exactly ‘physician’ - like, and isn’t very professional, either.
It's New York. Much like Oregon, they back this rhetoric (Esther Choo MD is the same)

It certainly reminds me of the old advice that as a doctor you should try to avoid anything that will get you onto the front page of the newspaper.

My own practical concerns would be what happens if the state suspends my license and I can no longer practice medicine? What if my perceived radical ramblings end up as fodder in a patient lawsuit? What if malpractice companies choose to stop offering me insurance? And she is apparently a forensic psychiatrist, and I can't imagine any of this will help her if she is serious about being retained in legal cases.

Given her seeming disregard for these concerns I'd wonder about her current financial situation. Does she have a trust fund? Married to a wealthy spouse? It seems like a privilege to be able to spout racist nonsense and not have to worry about the fallout, which for many people could lead to loss of a well paying career as a physician. Who among us has the privilege to take such risks?

YalE is news is becoming viral and the consensus among the general population is that she messed up. People are calling to revoke her medical license. We'll see if she really believes in her message or she if just wanted to win some brownie (pun not intended) points for being "woke".

I wonder how Yale is going to do damage control. And who in the right mind would okay this topic for CME credit?

As someone previously mentioned, there was a Yale psychiatrist who crossed the Goldwater rule just because she disagreed with the politics. Yale's reputation is more and more tarnished.
Yale is super liberal. I'm friends with a Psychiatrist there. They say that other doctor who crossed the Goldwater rule was brave

Dr brandy lee was a Yale Psychiatrist who said trump was unfit from a psych perspective
Bandy. No "r." As in "Dr. Bandy X. Lee likes to bandy about the theory that Donald Trump is mentally unfit to hold office."

Apparently Yale has terminated Dr. Bandy. She continues to blow up her Twitter feed about the issue. I'm sure there is a lawsuit brewing.

Yale was the most prestigious residency interview I got, but I missed it because of a delayed flight due to inclement weather. I guess that was a blessing in disguise.

Last edited:
BTW, this thread title is kind of misleading. I myself didn't click on it for a few days after this story broke, because it sounds like it might just be a discussion of whether some CME course offered by Yale is worth it or not.

This was a grand rounds.

Bandy. No "r." As in "Dr. Bandy X. Lee likes to bandy about the theory that Donald Trump is mentally unfit to hold office."

Apparently Yale has terminated Dr. Bandy. She continues to blow up her Twitter feed about the issue. I'm sure there is a lawsuit brewing.

Yale was the most prestigious residency interview I got, but I missed it because of a delayed flight due to inclement weather. I guess that was a blessing in disguise.
I don't get what the controversy is. Anyone with half a brain can tell Donald trump is a raging narcissist. Don't need a formal examination to make that diagnosis.

I don't get what the controversy is. Anyone with half a brain can tell Donald trump is a raging narcissist. Don't need a formal examination to make that diagnosis.
The controversy relates to the fact that it's unethical for a psychiatrist to medically diagnose public figures solely on the basis of media coverage, without ever formally evaluating them. Psychiatry is a field that is uniquely subject to the threat of political abuse. Most psychiatrists are fully aware of the field's history and try to keep their political beliefs separate from their assessments of people's mental health.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
The controversy relates to the fact that it's unethical for a psychiatrist to medically diagnose public figures solely on the basis of media coverage, without ever formally evaluating them. Psychiatry is a field that is uniquely subject to the threat of political abuse. Most psychiatrists are fully aware of the field's history and try to keep their political beliefs separate from their assessments of people's mental health.
I understand the basis of the goldwater rule, but as with everything, theres virtually always room for exceptions. I'd argue it unethical for a physician keep their mouths shut in a case that was so blatantly obvious such as trump.

And It's not solely based off of media. You even have collateral supporting the diagnosis from a family member who happens to be a psychologist! Not bad eh?

But it’s the idea that the science could be used in a slapdash fashion (ie what we as the general public witnessed over television/the media). It demeans the process of thinking my about personality disorders and all the other considerations one makes when weighing diagnoses in psychiatry. What constituted the dysfunction in trumps life that one would give him such a diagnosis? Lots of opportunity for discussion here.

The point is, sure, you can shoot from the hip and suggest narcissism or NPD or narcissistic character structure. But if that’s your Psychiatry Opinion TM, you are cheapening A LOT. We aren’t just wizards who “know it when we see it.”

• Love
I understand the basis of the goldwater rule, but as with everything, theres virtually always room for exceptions. I'd argue it unethical for a physician keep their mouths shut in a case that was so blatantly obvious such as trump.

And It's not solely based off of media. You even have collateral supporting the diagnosis from a family member who happens to be a psychologist! Not bad eh?
Physicians don't have to "keep their mouth shut." They are free to voice their political opinions just like anybody else is. They can say they dislike Trump's personality, that he's despicable, that he looks ugly, that he's Satan's top henchman, etc. What they shouldn't do is use their medical authority to assign medical diagnoses to people they've never met. That goes beyond the role of a politically active citizen and enters the realm of medical practice.

Would you diagnose a patient without ever meeting them solely on the basis of what one of their family members (who happens to be a psychologist) reported to you? I would hope you wouldn't. If you would, I hope you wouldn't go in front of news cameras as a representative of the medical profession to share your half-assed "diagnosis" with the world. Such behavior is wildly unethical, even when your supposed patient is a controversial political figure.

• Love
Also, psychiatric diagnoses are culturally bound.

He is a New Yorker.

There are a lot of ****-talkers like him from New York.

But it’s the idea that the science could be used in a slapdash fashion (ie what we as the general public witnessed over television/the media). It demeans the process of thinking my about personality disorders and all the other considerations one makes when weighing diagnoses in psychiatry. What constituted the dysfunction in trumps life that one would give him such a diagnosis? Lots of opportunity for discussion here.

The point is, sure, you can shoot from the hip and suggest narcissism or NPD or narcissistic character structure. But if that’s your Psychiatry Opinion TM, you are cheapening A LOT. We aren’t just wizards who “know it when we see it.”

Physicians don't have to "keep their mouth shut." They are free to voice their political opinions just like anybody else is. They can say they dislike Trump's personality, that he's despicable, that he looks ugly, that he's Satan's top henchman, etc. What they shouldn't do is use their medical authority to assign medical diagnoses to people they've never met. That goes beyond the role of a politically active citizen and enters the realm of medical practice.

Would you diagnose a patient without ever meeting them solely on the basis of what one of their family members (who happens to be a psychologist) reported to you? I would hope you wouldn't. If you would, I hope you wouldn't go in front of news cameras as a representative of the medical profession to share your half-assed "diagnosis" with the world. Such behavior is wildly unethical, even when your supposed patient is a controversial political figure.
Because it's psychiatry and our diagnosis is viewed as less objective and more fluid, we end up with rules like this. However if the president had a Parkinsonian gait, rest tremor, and masked faces and a neurologist wanted to public opine the president was suffering from a Parkinsonian syndrome, no one would bat an eye. Look at the DSM criteria for NPD, is there a single one he doesn't meet based off of 1000s of hours of footage? Here's some Critieria for NPD. We can never be sure any diagnosis we make is 100% accurate in psychiatry but hell I would feel pretty confident making this one.

• A grandiose sense of self-importance
  • A preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
  • A belief that he or she is special and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people or institutions
  • A need for excessive admiration
  • A sense of entitlement
  • Interpersonally exploitive behavior
  • A lack of empathy
  • Envy of others or a belief that others are envious of him or her
  • A demonstration of arrogant and haughty behaviors or attitude

Reactions: 1 users
I mean obviously this woman shouldn't have been platformed.

Though this story is really just perfect clickbait fuel for conservative America's critical race theory moral panic. No wonder NY Post and Foxnews are on top of it. Aruna Khilanani is a politically useful idiot who was dumb enough to take on the form of the monsters that conservatives believe are under the bed. Stories like this provide just enough kernel of truth to legitimize their fear of an ideological boogy man that is essential to making their world view coherent.

• Dislike
Status
Not open for further replies.