Yale CME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is this CME going to help strengthen the integrity of medicine as an institution, and Psychiatry?

• Yes, this will strengthen it

• No, this will not strengthen it

• Unsure, this needs further reflection

• I'm only here for the donuts and coffee.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it's psychiatry and our diagnosis is viewed as less objective and more fluid, we end up with rules like this. However if the president had a Parkinsonian gait, rest tremor, and masked faces and a neurologist wanted to public opine the president was suffering from a Parkinsonian syndrome, no one would bat an eye. Look at the DSM criteria for NPD, is there a single one he doesn't meet based off of 1000s of hours of footage? Here's some Critieria for NPD. We can never be sure any diagnosis we make is 100% accurate in psychiatry but hell I would feel pretty confident making this one.

• A grandiose sense of self-importance
  • A preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
  • A belief that he or she is special and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people or institutions
  • A need for excessive admiration
  • A sense of entitlement
  • Interpersonally exploitive behavior
  • A lack of empathy
  • Envy of others or a belief that others are envious of him or her
  • A demonstration of arrogant and haughty behaviors or attitude
That does seem to fit. Does the diagnosis have to be harmful to the person to apply? He seems to have succeeded in part because of many of these traits. Or maybe only because of those traits.

I had been reading headlines recently that people say he is delusional that he is going to be reinstated in August. And I started thinking: Is it a delusion if you start making it possible by convincing your followers to make it happen? Then it's more rule breaking than delusional. I mean I don't think it will happen, but I think believing it gives you more chance than not committing to the belief. He was really teetering on the edge until the end with some sort of takeover.

I've been frustrated that for whatever reason he is now in the news cycle again. They need to stop saying his name and showing his picture.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Because it's psychiatry and our diagnosis is viewed as less objective and more fluid, we end up with rules like this. However if the president had a Parkinsonian gait, rest tremor, and masked faces and a neurologist wanted to public opine the president was suffering from a Parkinsonian syndrome, no one would bat an eye.
What if the neurologist kept using his platform to agitate for the removal of the president from office?

Lee's campaign was not about making sure that everyone knew that Trump satisfied the DSM criteria for narcissistic personality disorder. It was about claiming he needed to be removed from office because Psychiatry(TM) can officially and formally tell that he's dangerous.

Reactions: 1 users
Because it's psychiatry and our diagnosis is viewed as less objective and more fluid, we end up with rules like this. However if the president had a Parkinsonian gait, rest tremor, and masked faces and a neurologist wanted to public opine the president was suffering from a Parkinsonian syndrome, no one would bat an eye
Yes, I would, because you are discussing a patient's medical information in a public forum and making a diagnosis without having been solicited to do so/having established a patient-physician relationship. It would be different if you were to attempt to privately contact the person to suggest that they follow-up on some medical signs that you noticed.

What is the function of making and discussing diagnoses publicly? Do you imagine it will change perceptions of the person? Are you looking for 5 minutes of fame as the sound bite lobbing a diagnosis in order to stigmatize the disliked person? (That person is MEDICALLY/PSYCHIATRICALLY sick and therefore unfit for duty!)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Bandy. No "r." As in "Dr. Bandy X. Lee likes to bandy about the theory that Donald Trump is mentally unfit to hold office."

Apparently Yale has terminated Dr. Bandy. She continues to blow up her Twitter feed about the issue. I'm sure there is a lawsuit brewing.

Yale was the most prestigious residency interview I got, but I missed it because of a delayed flight due to inclement weather. I guess that was a blessing in disguise.
Thanks about the tip about lee.

I think Lee and this other psych are too rich to care. This new one has a lot of plastic surgery. Mucho dinero

It reminds me of the relatively recent social justice/CRT/etc virtue signaling articles in AJP and Psychiatric Times.
Have you seen JAMA open access? Business is booming! It costs 3000 USD to publish there and this is the majority of what they publish it appears. Ez money.

Last edited:
  • Wow
People realize that the purpose of this was to be inflammatory, right? The whole point was to bring attention to fringe concepts, and congratulations everyone posting this and reposting it are doing the work of disseminating it as common beliefs of "liberal academic psychiatry" as if anyone outside of this person (if she even believes it) actually agree.

It's liked because it plays into a narrative of extreme liberalism to an absurd degree, while ignoring very real problems caused by systemic racism.

This whole thing is a distraction, and I'm soooo glad (/s) that as psychiatrists in literally every social media platform I belong to, we are taking the bait.

• Dislike
  • Hmm
People realize that the purpose of this was to be inflammatory, right? The whole point was to bring attention to fringe concepts, and congratulations everyone posting this and reposting it are doing the work of disseminating it as common beliefs of "liberal academic psychiatry" as if anyone outside of this person (if she even believes it) actually agree.

It's liked because it plays into a narrative of extreme liberalism to an absurd degree, while ignoring very real problems caused by systemic racism.

This whole thing is a distraction, and I'm soooo glad (/s) that as psychiatrists in literally every social media platform I belong to, we are taking the bait.
I would generally believe this to be the case, but having spent 5 minutes on her website, she does strike me as someone who might be actually mentally ill rather than this being an elaborately designed shock-jock or Trumpesque foray into our 24/7 media landscape in which all publicity is good publicity.

I would generally believe this to be the case, but having spent 5 minutes on her website, she does strike me as someone who might be actually mentally ill rather than this being an elaborately designed shock-jock or Trumpesque foray into our 24/7 media landscape in which all publicity is good publicity.
I mean, I'm not saying she's not mentally ill (I don't know her and I'm not treating her), I'm just saying all the uproar seems like a distraction.

It reminds me of when my very biological heavy institution had a fringe psychologist give grand rounds about hypnotherapy. I don't know a single person that took that seriously, yet you better believe the entire week we were talking about how ridiculous it was and whether we've swung too far in the psychological direction (answer: we hadn't, even now years later we're still very biological, although at least a bit more balanced).

Last edited:
There are two threads discussing this topic, and as the other one seems to be more active, I'm going to close this one. Please re-direct your conversation to this thread: “The Psychopathic Problem of the White Mind”.

The threads aren't being merged to prevent a jumble of content from the two separate threads being mixed together, making it difficult to follow what's being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.