Yale MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naijaba

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a first year medical student at Yale this year. I was thinking about applying to their MSTP program, and I just noticed a major change on their website:

http://medicine.yale.edu/mdphd/admissions/info.aspx

It seems that they will no longer accept AMCAS applicants -- instead only internal applicants? Obviously this would be good news for me, but can anyone confirm that I am reading this correctly??

Members don't see this ad.

Ummm. They are definitely accepting AMCAS applications for incoming first year MD/PhD applicants. Just spoke to a professor there yesterday.

I'm going to be a first year medical student at Yale this year. I was thinking about applying to their MSTP program, and I just noticed a major change on their website:

http://medicine.yale.edu/mdphd/admissions/info.aspx

It seems that they will no longer accept AMCAS applicants -- instead only internal applicants? Obviously this would be good news for me, but can anyone confirm that I am reading this correctly??

Maybe you should quote the section thats confusing you. I looked over it and it just looks like a description of how current medical students can apply to the program. I didn't see anything to suggest that only current medical students can apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe you should quote the section thats confusing you. I looked over it and it just looks like a description of how current medical students can apply to the program. I didn't see anything to suggest that only current medical students can apply.

Yeah sure. I was probably seeing what I wanted to see, but I came to my conclusion based on the links on the left side of the page:

"Information for Applicants" and "(Old) Application Process"

The "Information for Applicants" section does not mention AMCAS -- it only talks about internal applicants. AMCAS is only mentioned in the "Old" application process section. There doesn't appear to be anything else that is different about applying via AMCAS -- so why the use of the word "Old"?

I know Brown's MD/PhD program only accepts individuals affiliated with Brown, so I was thinking maybe Yale is taking a similar approach.

Yeah sure. I was probably seeing what I wanted to see, but I came to my conclusion based on the links on the left side of the page:

"Information for Applicants" and "(Old) Application Process"

The "Information for Applicants" section does not mention AMCAS -- it only talks about internal applicants. AMCAS is only mentioned in the "Old" application process section. There doesn't appear to be anything else that is different about applying via AMCAS -- so why the use of the word "Old"?

I know Brown's MD/PhD program only accepts individuals affiliated with Brown, so I was thinking maybe Yale is taking a similar approach.

Any program that's doing this is essentially committing suicide, so I'd avoid them.

No, I talked to them on the phone recently. AMCAS is for MD/PhD

No, I talked to them on the phone recently. AMCAS is for MD/PhD

What do you mean? On Brown's website:

http://med.brown.edu/mdphd/

It says that "At present, the MD/PhD Program only considers applications from those who are internal to the Brown University community..."

Do you mean that they use AMCAS applicantions to decide between internal applicants?

PfNO22 is talking about Yale, not Brown.