Yale SPH Fall 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Altay01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was offered admission to Yale's EMD MPH program about a month ago and am very excited to hear from those who were also admitted to Yale! I won't be able to attend admitted students day, so it would great to have a discussion about New Haven, housing, research, school strengths and weaknesses. I have exhausted the school website and I am impressed with the community feel, accessibility to faculty and depth of the EMD program compared to the curriculum of the other schools I am considering. I was hoping others could speak to what their impression of Yale is and if they're considering enrollment.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard anything about financial aid from Yale? On the website it says that their turn around for financial aid packages is quick, but I haven't heard anything.

Has anyone heard anything about financial aid from Yale? On the website it says that their turn around for financial aid packages is quick, but I haven't heard anything.

I sent in my completed aid application on 2/7, haven't heard anything yet.

Members don't see this ad :)

I heard that the financial aid packets would be sent out towards the end of March...so hopefully we only have about 1-2wks left of waiting.

If you have decided to go to Yale, where are you guys living? off-campus, on-campus, or are you from new haven?

I heard that financial aid packets have already started going out, and will continue till the end of March. A lot depends on finances, so I haven't 100% decided on Yale, but I am really excited about their emerging microbial diseases department.

I have started to look more into living arrangements. I know that there are dorms available for graduate students, but I think that I would lean more towards off-campus apartments owned by the university or listings on craigslist. Knowing that the SPH is near the medical school, I think living downtown would be convenient. Any idea on how incoming students find roommates?

I was offered admission to Yale's EMD MPH program about a month ago and am very excited to hear from those who were also admitted to Yale! I won't be able to attend admitted students day, so it would great to have a discussion about New Haven, housing, research, school strengths and weaknesses. I have exhausted the school website and I am impressed with the community feel, accessibility to faculty and depth of the EMD program compared to the curriculum of the other schools I am considering. I was hoping others could speak to what their impression of Yale is and if they're considering enrollment.

I was also accepted to Yale's EMD MPH program! I am now considering Yale, Hopkins, and Emory, and I have no idea which to choose. Which other schools are you considering?

I am very excited about Yale's Epi department and how the entire department is strictly infectious disease focused. It seems like there would be so many amazing research opportunities with the faculty, and the school has an excellent community-sense. The eco-epidemiology research perfectly matches my interests. However, I am drawn towards Emory because of its connections with the CDC and the opportunity to work there during my MPH and potentially after. Hopkins is also an extremely strong program and close-ish to family. My only concern about Yale is that it's a bit less pre-professional than JHU and Emory, as those schools have close ties with places like NIH and CDC, and I'm not sure yet if I want to go right into working after getting a master's or go into a PhD program. I was also kind of hoping to get my master's at a school in a city that I would like to work in immediately after, or at a school where I could continue to get a PhD there, and I don't think I'd do either of those things at Yale. Let me know your impression of Yale's strengths/weaknesses!

Regarding financial aid:

"Hi Jerome, Financial aid packages have begun to go out and will continue to do so throughout the month. Questions regarding Financial Aid may be directed to our Director, Andre Massiah at: [email protected]. I hope this is helpful!"

This was directly from Mary Keefe, the Director of Admissions for YSPH, in the Facebook created for the YSPH class of 2016. If you have a facebook account, then you should consider joining this group; some of the school's administrators and current students have recently populated this group with a bevy of useful information!

This page could also be useful:

http://publichealth.yale.edu/gateways/incoming/index.aspx

Regarding Yale's connection to professional organizations:

Yale has received several multi-million dollar grants from the CDC over the past decade:

http://publichealth.yale.edu/eip/index.aspx

I don't know what that means in terms of student opportunities, but I think this signifies some sort of collaboration.

YSPH also has a list of Study Centers that includes collaborators:

http://publichealth.yale.edu/research/centers.aspx

Finally, the Emerging Infections Program is a collaboration between Yale, the CDC, and the State of Connecticut Department of Public Health:

http://publichealth.yale.edu/eip/index.aspx

I already think this department stands out because of its community design. The faculty, administrators, and current students seem supportive of each other and the admitted students. I think it's partially a sales pitch, but the vibe I'm receiving is that competition takes a back seat to personal development and cooperation.

I think that's huge for this field (and academia in general), and I believe this is a significant strength that is going to be overlooked by rankings systems.

I'm pretty much set on Yale (HCM) at this point! I can't wait for admit day! :):):)

I already think this department stands out because of its community design. The faculty, administrators, and current students seem supportive of each other and the admitted students. I think it's partially a sales pitch, but the vibe I'm receiving is that competition takes a back seat to personal development and cooperation.

I think that's huge for this field (and academia in general), and I believe this is a significant strength that is going to be overlooked by rankings systems.

I could not agree with you more. It's hard to quantify the benefits of support, community, and overall enjoyment with the program, but it's a very high priority to me. I can't wait to hear about financial aid, its the last hurdle to go through before I can make my commitment (and I certainly want to say yes to to Yale!). Is everyone on here going to the admitted students day?

I was also accepted to Yale's EMD MPH program! I am now considering Yale, Hopkins, and Emory, and I have no idea which to choose. Which other schools are you considering?

I am very excited about Yale's Epi department and how the entire department is strictly infectious disease focused. It seems like there would be so many amazing research opportunities with the faculty, and the school has an excellent community-sense. The eco-epidemiology research perfectly matches my interests. However, I am drawn towards Emory because of its connections with the CDC and the opportunity to work there during my MPH and potentially after. Hopkins is also an extremely strong program and close-ish to family. My only concern about Yale is that it's a bit less pre-professional than JHU and Emory, as those schools have close ties with places like NIH and CDC, and I'm not sure yet if I want to go right into working after getting a master's or go into a PhD program. I was also kind of hoping to get my master's at a school in a city that I would like to work in immediately after, or at a school where I could continue to get a PhD there, and I don't think I'd do either of those things at Yale. Let me know your impression of Yale's strengths/weaknesses!

I am also considering Emory and can't make a decision because both schools have their advantages! It is an asset to have the CDC right next store, but I am wondering how competitive positions are? It seems that many students have them, but I would hate to attend the school thinking I could be involved at the CDC when there's 1 position that 50 students are vying for. I know that with the REAL program, it is possible to find a paid position, but this position might end after the allocated funds are gone. I not sure if this will be helpful if I want to go on and pursue a PhD, (I think its pretty important to do some research). Coming from a metropolitan area, I would like to have the entertainment, food and conveniences that Atlanta offers. Not to mention coming from the Midwest, warm winter days sound great!

Yale on the other hand does have some benefits due to its small size. All the students in the EMD program know each other. Also I hear the professors are accessible and there seems to be plenty of research opportunities for students (especially master students) that want them. The curriculum at both schools offer a solid quantitative background, but I favor the specialized infectious disease classes offered at Yale. Although Yale does not have the CDC next door, they do have a great alumni network and I heard they started an alumni mentor program. New Haven is obviously smaller than Atlanta, with a less than ideal reputation, but it does seem that Yale makes an effort with student activities. The big factor for Yale is its cost. $37,400 is a huge price tag each year. Maybe this won't be an issue when financial comes out, but sadly I doubt it.

I won't be able to attend Emory's or Yale's admitted students day, so any feedback you give would be appreciated! Its a tough decision to make, and its coming up so soon. Let me know if their are any other factors you are considering!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also considering Emory and can't make a decision because both schools have their advantages! It is an asset to have the CDC right next store, but I am wondering how competitive positions are? It seems that many students have them, but I would hate to attend the school thinking I could be involved at the CDC when there's 1 position that 50 students are vying for. I know that with the REAL program, it is possible to find a paid position, but this position might end after the allocated funds are gone. I not sure if this will be helpful if I want to go on and pursue a PhD, (I think its pretty important to do some research). Coming from a metropolitan area, I would like to have the entertainment, food and conveniences that Atlanta offers. Not to mention coming from the Midwest, warm winter days sound great!

Yale on the other hand does have some benefits due to its small size. All the students in the EMD program know each other. Also I hear the professors are accessible and there seems to be plenty of research opportunities for students (especially master students) that want them. The curriculum at both schools offer a solid quantitative background, but I favor the specialized infectious disease classes offered at Yale. Although Yale does not have the CDC next door, they do have a great alumni network and I heard they started an alumni mentor program. New Haven is obviously smaller than Atlanta, with a less than ideal reputation, but it does seem that Yale makes an effort with student activities. The big factor for Yale is its cost. $37,400 is a huge price tag each year. Maybe this won't be an issue when financial comes out, but sadly I doubt it.

I won't be able to attend Emory's or Yale's admitted students day, so any feedback you give would be appreciated! Its a tough decision to make, and its coming up so soon. Let me know if their are any other factors you are considering!

Hi again! Emory vs. Yale is such a hard choice. Are you considering anywhere else? I agree that the small size of Yale and community feeling seems really great. Yale has research that is perfectly aligned with my interests and faculty who seem extremely helpful and eager to work with MPH students, so that's a big factor especially if I go on to get a PhD. Emory has the CDC connection and the CDC is where I would love to work some day. It seems that most MPH students work there part-time and many get jobs there (or other amazing Atlanta public health agencies) after graduating. I could also see myself staying there to get a PhD, whereas that probably wouldn't be possible at Yale. Atlanta is also nice, affordable, safe, warm, and I have some family there. But it's a plane ride away from my immediate family which I was hoping to avoid- I am from NJ and go to school at U of Michigan and would love to not have to fly to see my parents. I have heard that it is relatively easy to get REAL jobs at the CDC. However I don't know if these positions would allow to get involved in enough research to go on to a PhD immediately after. I'm going to Emory this weekend so I will let you know how it goes!

I just got off the phone with Andre and he said that the email reminding students to submit finaid documents went out to some applicants by accident. He said that awards would be sent out by the end of the week with some even being sent today. He told me that my award was completed but he didn't give me any specifics over the phone.

Reactions: 2 users
Got my financial aid award letter today! Hello impending school decision.

Got my financial aid award letter today! Hello impending school decision.

I'm soo antsy for these financial aid packets....phone keeps dinging for email but it's never the right email!! Anxiety will be the death of me lol

Me too - just got my aid package!

Finally...got my aid package! See y'all at Yale in the fall hopefully :)

Longtime lurker! Finally decided on Yale- 11 months MPH on epidemiology&biostatistics.
Anyone joined the Facebook group for Yale? Please fill us in. unfortunately not on Facebook(#social hermit).:)

Longtime lurker! Finally decided on Yale- 11 months MPH on epidemiology&biostatistics.
Anyone joined the Facebook group for Yale? Please fill us in. unfortunately not on Facebook(#social hermit).:)

Are you going to the new student day? There is a google doc of students at Yale willing to house visitors for diff amounts of time.

There are also conversations on research positions and how to get them. And how to get a job in general.

And there is a new page for new students to get information. This is the link for that:

What program are you thinking of? There specific people who are current students that have posted their emails. Message me if you want

Reactions: 1 users
Are you going to the new student day? There is a google doc of students at Yale willing to house visitors for diff amounts of time.

There are also conversations on research positions and how to get them. And how to get a job in general.

And there is a new page for new students to get information. This is the link for that:

What program are you thinking of? There specific people who are current students that have posted their emails. Message me if you want
Thanks for the link, really helpful.Unfortunately cant attend new students day. Will be relying on you guys for feedback.
Conversations on research positions&jobs?aarrrgh! I'm so missing out. Guess my No-Facebook policy has to come to an end then.
My program is the advanced professional MPH.

Asking for a friend...but has anyone been accepted to Yale-Biostats?

Thanks for the links and your views on Yale comparison... I have been accepted to MPH-Chronic Disease Epi. Is anyone from the same?

Very stressful week for decision making and I am stuck between Yale vs Columbia. Yale's ongoing research programs and not to mention hundreds of positive feedback on their professor vs student support, seems very exciting, however, there are other logistics which needs to be resolved to make a final choice. My heart says "Yell Yale"...

I am from UC Berkeley and never had a chance to visit east-coast. Any idea how much room/board will cost (sharing basis) in that city? What about transportation to get around the school?

Not attending student day, and will appreciate some feedback on that.
Thanks

Hey - who went to the admitted students day? How did it go? I'm very jealous

Hey if you aren't on fb and you need a roommate for next one you should get one now! there's a google doc that has been initiated.

Hey Everyone!

My name is Grayson and I'll be in the HPM department next year! Can't wait to meet you all!

I'm not on Facebook, so if someone could PM me the link to the roommates document, I'd appreciate it.

See y'all in August!