Yale SPH - SAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brie cheese

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to apply to YSPH this coming Fall 2010. I'm interested in Health Management.

I emailed the admissions director and she said that all of my science classes are fine but I should take at least one Stats class, preferably a class that teaches SAS.

I plan to take Intro to Stats next coming quarter but it doesn't teach SAS. I do have an option to take SAS spring quarter.

Question: Does it hurt my chances if I don't know SAS before applying or matriculating to YSPH? Is it wise to take SAS then apply?

Apparently, learning SPSS in my pol sci class was a waste of time... :sleep:

Thanks,
Mr. Cheeseman

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No. But learning SAS will help you immensely. Alternatively, some schools use STATA instead of SAS. But SAS is pretty much industry standard.

SPSS is predominantly used in social sciences.

thanks for the reply, stories.

one more question: if i were to matriculate, am i required to stay in my concentration?

thanks,
mr. cheeseman

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, if you want to become familiar with SAS on your own there are learning modules online here from UCLA: http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/sas/modules/. Going through them allowed me to honestly list having an "introductory" knowledge of SAS on my vita. All of my work experience with quantitative software programs is SPSS and STATA.

Thanks Dissertator. Much is appreciated.

I'm torn between Health Policy and Health Management. I don't know which one to pick when I apply. I'm I required to select one concentration?

Also, let's say I got into the Health Policy program, am I allow to take electives such as MGT 887b -- Negotiation from Yale School of Management? Or is that only allowed for students who are currently in the Health Management program? I know that HSPH allows students to change their concentration once they entered the school as well as taking electives from different concentrations. Does that also apply to students at YSPH?

Thanks again,
Cheese

Thanks Dissertator. Much is appreciated.

I'm torn between Health Policy and Health Management. I don't know which one to pick when I apply. I'm I required to select one concentration?

Also, let's say I got into the Health Policy program, am I allow to take electives such as MGT 887b -- Negotiation from Yale School of Management? Or is that only allowed for students who are currently in the Health Management program? I know that HSPH allows students to change their concentration once they entered the school as well as taking electives from different concentrations. Does that also apply to students at YSPH?

Thanks again,
Cheese

All students can take any class at all of Yale pending open spots.

You can switch concentrations with departmental approval.