Yao and Artusio 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone felt the new version was worth updating for, from the perspective of a practicing guy who has no more tests, but wants to continue updating his knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't, as much as I love big books that come with free Inkling versions.

When I had departmental funds, I used to buy almost every edition of certain books, and ended up not reading them. Now I buy only every second edition of those that I read. This Yao is also shorter than the previous.

I'd rather waste my money on something I need a refresher in and don't have a recent book about. I have begun to consider printed (professional) books a space-occupying lesion: it's a pain to recycle them (I hate throwing them out).

Just wondering if anyone felt the new version was worth updating for, from the perspective of a practicing guy who has no more tests, but wants to continue updating his knowledge.

I bought it, also just leisure reading. Lacking details in a number of areas, often leaves me desiring for more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't, as much as I love big books that come with free Inkling versions.

When I had departmental funds, I used to buy almost every edition of certain books, and ended up not reading them. Now I buy only every second edition of those that I read. This Yao is also shorter than the previous.

I'd rather waste my money on something I need a refresher in and don't have a recent book about. I have begun to consider printed (professional) books a space-occupying lesion: it's a pain to recycle them (I hate throwing them out).

The med school in my area sends mine overseas to developing nations. Probably not the most efficient use of funds, but it makes me feel better.

Bought it of the first time this year, newest version. I am a huge fan, perfect for a CA-3 for continuing reading and oral board prep. Truly excellent chapter on implantable cardiac devices.

It's a big book, but inkling version makes it accessible for the OR.

Haven't seen the new Yao, but if you want to read a new case-based textbook, rather than update a book you already have, you might try a similar one. I liked Atlee's complications book, though I don't see an edition newer than the 2006 one I have.

Reed's clinical cases book is newer, 2014. I had an older edition and it was kind of a Yao light that I read when I didn't have the time to plow through an entire Yao chapter. Lots more cases but only a couple pages to each.