Yay me! (and) Big Interview freakout!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BellaPsyD

Correctional Psychologist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figure I'll start with the "yay me" part first:

As of August 20th, I am officially "Dr. BellaPsyd" :D

*To those of you who may remember me from forever ago- Hiiiii! Sorry I dropped off the face of the earth this year through internship- it kicked my butt.

Now to the rest of my post:

While I'm a juvenile Hall type of gal, I'm also realistic and know that (at least in CA) the YAs and juvie's are not the best places to go right now for job security (thank you DMH for offering me my dream job and then adding it would be "for free"). So, on a whim, I applied to the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

Long story short, I had 3 regionals call to recruit me to their areas so I decided just to see whatever moved fastest (loan repayment waits for no one...) and go with that. Suffice to say I have my interview on Tuesday! The Chief told me "It's not a question of IF you get the job, it's a question of WHEN you'll start"- so I'm going to take that as a good sign for my job outlook!

So what's my problem? Well, besides having to leave the state I love (actually harder than it sounds!)- I'm suddenly all nervous for my interview! Integrity panel?? Psych panel? eeeeeek! Interview process lasting from 7:30AM-4PM (3 hours ahead of my current timezone, mind you)? :D (please note I'm not actually complaining, just nervous thoughts whizzing by in my head!)

You'd think I wouldn't be fazed by now with interviews- I feel like half of my graduate career was spent doing these! Anyway, working in the FBOP has always been a far-reaching goal of mine and I wasn't expecting to possibly get the chance so soon- I have the tummy butterflies! :p Anyone interview/ work with them and have any tips/suggestions? Or anyone have anything in general?

ps- thanks for reading- I'm gushing with excitement! (let's hope the end result is good!) :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, that's pretty weird. People are usually interviewed extensively when they're about to be released not when they're going into prison. Regardless, I understand your anxiety, and I hope you make the best of your time in confinement and my prayers are with you. PsyD is no big crime so hopefully you'll be out in a few decades, the so-called "retirement" time. Other than the usual "not drop the soap" advice, I have nothing to add.

Members don't see this ad :)
^LOL! Thanks for the laugh- helps to put things in perspective!

Hi Bella - I remember you for pre-internship. I too just finished my internship in a state hospital (which also kicked my butt). Glad to be done, and will be Dr. Psychmama in October.

Good luck on your interview! I'm sure you'll do great, especially because you sound so enthusiastic, and that is bound to come through and work in your favor.:luck:

As an aside, we toured "Sing Sing" for a day as part of my internship. I was very impressed with the psychologists I met there, and more appreciative of the work they do after seeing it first-hand. Prison work is not for everyone, but all the psychologists I talked to there were quite happy.

thanks everyone! Psychmama- congrats to you as well!!! Ive followed some of your posts and know how hard you've been working!

BTW- interview went well and I was offered conditional employment!

That is awesome Bella! I've been looking at some of the APPIC BOP sites and they actually look interesting to me. It's not something I considered before but it's now on my radar of way in the future (got to get into school somewhere first) possiblity list:D

Congrats.

thanks everyone! Psychmama- congrats to you as well!!! Ive followed some of your posts and know how hard you've been working!

BTW- interview went well and I was offered conditional employment!

Excellent! Hope you are on your way to great things! I had my first day at postdoc today and things went well.:)

^ it seems like it never ends, doesn't it?!

^ it seems like it never ends, doesn't it?!

Really! As we speak I'm finishing up formatting changes on the dissertation, which I defend in a couple of weeks, and simultaneously doing a clinical case writeup and presentation I need to complete in order to finally graduate in October. Wow! And my kids all start school next week. I need a long rest...:p

^ ohhhh good luck on the dissertation! That'll be a HUGE relief!

Thanks! Yes, I'm looking forward to October.