yeah so...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thinkpositive

futureMD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...any way to get into an MSTP with a < 30 score ? my gpa is around 3.7 and I have done research and other extra stuff too...thanks... :(

Members don't see this ad.

I'm always hesitant to talk about the whole MCAT issue. I don't know what the absolute minimum score is to get your foot in the door. I do know that some schools have formulas and cutoffs.

Publications can only make you more competitive and if you publish well, it could conceivably compensate for weaker areas of one's application.

Cell and Nature papers? Hehe...that's kind of an exaggeration :laugh: But hey, if you got one, that's some really strong work right there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not impossible. I know someone with <30 who got into Harvard MSTP once (but there were some exceptional circumstances though). Anyhow, MCAT is not everything. It's the whole package that matters. If you think you got it, give it a shot. Good Luck :luck:

thinkpositive said:
...any way to get into an MSTP with a < 30 score ? my gpa is around 3.7 and I have done research and other extra stuff too...thanks... :(

Sure it's possible. Are we talking MCAT 29 or 25. Big difference. GPA is good if from a good undergrad. Good science grades a must.
At this point, it really boils down to the quality and length of research involvement. What that really boils down to is the number of publications.
Nature or Science papers are great but at this point any publications are a plus (some schools a requirement). If you are really dedicated and want to improve your application for MSTP, take a year off and really dedicate to a good lab with the goal of publishing.

fyli260 said:
Not impossible. I know someone with <30 who got into Harvard MSTP once (but there were some exceptional circumstances though). Anyhow, MCAT is not everything. It's the whole package that matters. If you think you got it, give it a shot. Good Luck :luck:

Not impossible, but really hard.I guess the distribution of <30 is important. I mean I heard that for MSTP your science scores are crucial and verbal is also important. However, I feel like it is harder to explain 11V,9B,9C score compairing to 7V, 11B, 11C. I do aggree that publication will make you more competetive ,however I do not see direct relationship between MCAT and publication. Publication is kinda representing your research, on the other hand MCAT is a standardized exam that help them to evaluate your overall acedemic skills(reading, writing, basic sciences). So, I can not see the direct connection.

you picked a good screenname, it could take you a long ways. if you really want mstp, your enthusiasm will shine through in the essays and maybe take the weight off your mcat. you can always apply straight md alongside, and even take mcat again and retry next yr, gluck

thinkpositive said:

stillsmilin said:
you picked a good screenname, it could take you a long ways. if you really want mstp, your enthusiasm will shine through in the essays and maybe take the weight off your mcat. you can always apply straight md alongside, and even take mcat again and retry next yr, gluck

thanks for the hope guys! :)