Year from UG research, *help needed ASAP*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geeyouknit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I would really appreciate it if I could get advice ASAP.

I'm a senior in UG ( my last year) and I am planning to apply to MD PhD after graduation. Currently I have ~1.5 years of research under my belt. I am also planning on doing research in my year off.

However, I had a lot of tough classes coming up and along with studying for my MCAT,
I was thinking about not doing research for my senior year to focus on those two aspects.

How would admissions committees look at or consider me not doing research for a year in undergraduate if I had the opportunity to ?

Thanks for all you guys do.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how adcoms would look at it but I'm thinking to myself, "why are you taking a year off to do research but taking the MCAT this year and not doing research?"

Maybe if you can clarify your strategy, I will better understand.

Also, a gap in research probably wouldn't work out well for you. For instance, you're not going to get a publication if you take a year off from your lab. MSTP adcoms look for continuity and an applicant being able to undertake a long term project to its finish. At least that is my understanding from successful applicants.

I don't know how adcoms would look at it but I'm thinking to myself, "why are you taking a year off to do research but taking the MCAT this year and not doing research?"

Maybe if you can clarify your strategy, I will better understand.

Also, a gap in research probably wouldn't work out well for you. For instance, you're not going to get a publication if you take a year off from your lab. MSTP adcoms look for continuity and an applicant being able to undertake a long term project to its finish. At least that is my understanding from successful applicants.

I was planning to work in a different lab (in my gap year) after I graduate since my project in my old lab is essentially finished. I don't really see it as a matter of continuity in that case.

As to your earlier point, I wanted to take the MCAT before graduation so I could apply at an early enough time. The reason that I am thinking about not doing research is that I want to focus on my classes and MCAT.

My purpose for a gap year is also to improve my research skills, get a better idea of what kind of thesis work I want to do (dry vs wet, cog vs molecular vs. clinical vs. etc), and also just to take a break before I get back into classes.

Thanks for your help. Would appreciate feedback from anyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're planning to take a year off, I would have suggested taking the MCAT this summer when you have less competing for your time. You mentioned that you have "a lot of tough classes coming up and along with studying for [the] MCAT." If you don't feel like you can commit to classes, MCAT, and research for a few hours a week, then you'll have to priorities but MD/PhD programs look for sustained involvement, well-articulated interest, projected career path and continuity in your "story" (application).

Could you try to work in the lab for a few hours (5-10) a week until you take your MCAT and then spend more time in lab/studying?

One more option to consider (depending on your tuition) is to split your last year into 2 years. You will apply during you final year, be able to continue in research during both years, wont have to cram a bunch of tough courses, and have time to take the MCAT. You could even just graduate 1 semester late (in the Fall), which may be even more feasible. No-one will care when you graduate.

If this is an option for you, I would strongly suggest doing this as opposed to stopping research for a year.

If you don't feel like you can commit to classes, MCAT, and research for a few hours a week, then you'll have to priorities but MD/PhD programs look for sustained involvement, well-articulated interest, projected career path and continuity in your "story" (application).

Could you try to work in the lab for a few hours (5-10) a week until you take your MCAT and then spend more time in lab/studying?

Yea, this is what I ended up doing. Thanks for your help.

However, I had a lot of tough classes coming up and along with studying for my MCAT, I was thinking about not doing research for my senior year to focus on those two aspects.

How would admissions committees look at or consider me not doing research for a year in undergraduate if I had the opportunity to ?

Not a good idea. The more research you have, the better, especially as you get more senior as an undergrad.

Your best bet is to lighten your courseload. Also, take the MCAT during the summer when you don't have coursework to conflict with your MCAT preparation.