Year of GPR then PEDO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McKnightRider

Quantum Solace
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a 4th year dental student. I applied for a pediatric residency but didn't match. I did, however, get a spot at a hospital GPR that provides a lot of pedo experience and will def. amp up my resume. Here's my dilemma:

My GPR begins around July 1st 2011...at that time last year I had already submitted my PASS stuff...so I'm wondering, if I'm using this GPR to make myself a better candidate for PEDO, will it not actually benefit until 2012 when I've completed it?

Because technically, when I apply again for PEDO in t-minus 4-5 months I'm the exact same applicant (more or less)...despite the fact that by the time I matriculate I'll have so much more experience...

best I can guess is that I just write: "Future experience: blah blah blah" but that's not that great...

has anyone else been in this same boat and have suggestions? I'm very confuzzled

Thanks!

Sorry, but this is a really stupid question and a non-issue. Just state on the application that you are in a GPR program (or will be beginning 7/1). That's it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your Great feedback. I was going to say something as rude as you, but I see from your avatar picture that you work with autistic kids...so you can't be all bad.

When I re-apply the ONLY difference on my app is going to be a small addendum:
-beginning GPR soon

Seems like a waste of 2 grand to even fill out pass if I'm exactly the same and failed last time...

I really don't see how this is a difficult question to give advice on

Then make your app different between now and July 1. You're still in school - amp up your involvement in the pedo department, volunteer to do more procedures, help the residents with their research, etc. I remember the pedo program at my dental school used to welcome dental student labor pretty much at any time.

Also aren't pedo applications not due in October and later? I haven't looked at PASS in a long time, but the Ortho programs had all the really early deadlines and everyone else was later. Why do you have to submit on July 1 or earlier? Start the application, but wait until at least August 1 to submit the part with all of your info on it so you can include more about your GPR experiences at that point. I'd also make sure you tell your GPR that you want to be scheduled for all pedo-related activities at the beginning of the program. We did a lot of things at our GPR by rotation and if pedo is a rotation, you don't want to get assigned to that in May. By the time interviews come around in November and December, you'll have plenty to talk about from your GPR.

And make sure your application screams "Pedo." Substitute the letter of reference from that removable prostho guy in the clinic you love with one from a pedodontist. Make friends with the pedo attendings at your program as soon as you get there so they can write letters for you to submit to PASS in time for this fall.

Thanks for your Great feedback. I was going to say something as rude as you, but I see from your avatar picture that you work with autistic kids...so you can't be all bad.

That right there is why you did not match into pedo this year. There are too many great applicants out there to extend a spot for someone with your attitude. Unfortunately, I know there are people out there like you that do match and take spots away from well qualified and deserving applicants.

That right there is why you did not match into pedo this year. There are too many great applicants out there to extend a spot for someone with your attitude. Unfortunately, I know there are people out there like you that do match and take spots away from well qualified and deserving applicants.

Actually I loved McKnightRider's response - it made me laugh hard. Sometimes, if you have nothing constructive to say, you should perhaps not respond.

To the OP - I really hope you someday achieve your dream and I do understand what you are saying in terms of the quick turn around between not being accepted and then reapplying. I do think however that admission committees are familiar with the scenario as they are a likely to see it every year. It should then suffice for you to make it abundantly clear how your GPR should improve you candidacy.

Good luck

Actually I loved McKnightRider's response - it made me laugh hard. Sometimes, if you have nothing constructive to say, you should perhaps not respond.

To the OP - I really hope you someday achieve your dream and I do understand what you are saying in terms of the quick turn around between not being accepted and then reapplying. I do think however that admission committees are familiar with the scenario as they are a likely to see it every year. It should then suffice for you to make it abundantly clear how your GPR should improve you candidacy.

Good luck

Glad you loved it. It was rude. Calling a picture of a guys kids autistic... It still amaze me the kind of people that get into dental school and even into some residencies...

Glad you loved it. It was rude. Calling a picture of a guys kids autistic... It still amaze me the kind of people that get into dental school and even into some residencies...

Give me a break. You are behaving as if McKnightRider's response was unprovoked. As if calling the OP's question stupid and a non-issue displayed the highest form of decorum and good manners. The same message could have been conveyed less offensively. IF you take shots at people, prepare to be shot at, or at the very least change your pic.

And instead of rebuking both parties, you seek to deride only McKinght... - buddy - call a spade a spade and acknowledge that none of the two behaved nicely.

Agreed.
Note to OP: sorry you didnt match this year, but most pedo programs dont usually accept Autistic residents......burn.
Seriously though, making fun of autism is not a good idea for an aspiring pediatric dentist.

Seems like a waste of 2 grand to even fill out pass if I'm exactly the same and failed last time...

I really don't see how this is a difficult question to give advice on

I gave you advice. You'll be in a GPR starting July 1, so list the GPR on the PASS application. How is that "exactly the same" application? I don't see what the issue is. The answer to your question is common sense.

Big difference between me saying your question is stupid (I didn't say YOU were stupid) and you calling my children autistic. And what a joke your insult is since I'm a pediatric dentist and DO work with autistic children all day long. What the hell do you think pedo is? Maybe you should research it before you apply. Are you going to make fun of the autistic patients you treat?

Last edited:
Sometimes, if you have nothing constructive to say, you should perhaps not respond.

Yeah, except for the part where I actually answered his question and told him what to do.

For all of those that can't read: he wasn't asking how to better his application. He's asking how his upcoming GPR will benefit his application if he submits the application prior to the start of the GPR. In my mind that is a stupid question.

The answer is simple: he lists that the GPR starts 7/1/11 and ends 6/30/12. It's not difficult.

The other answer to his question, which was posted, is that he could delay his application submittal until after his GPR begins.

Give me a break. You are behaving as if McKnightRider's response was unprovoked. As if calling the OP's question stupid and a non-issue displayed the highest form of decorum and good manners. The same message could have been conveyed less offensively. IF you take shots at people, prepare to be shot at, or at the very least change your pic.

And instead of rebuking both parties, you seek to deride only McKinght... - buddy - call a spade a spade and acknowledge that none of the two behaved nicely.

The OP made fun of autism. What don't you understand about that! :confused: Gavin provided an answer to his question. If the OP wants to get mad in regards to his answer, that's fine. But, to make fun of autism is not. Especially for an aspiring pediatric dentist. That is my point.

The OP made fun of autism. What don't you understand about that! :confused: Gavin provided an answer to his question. If the OP wants to get mad in regards to his answer, that's fine. But, to make fun of autism is not. Especially for an aspiring pediatric dentist. That is my point.
Well stated.

Are pedo programs similar to dental school, in that the earlier the better?

Well stated.

Are pedo programs similar to dental school, in that the earlier the better?

You want to have your application in fairly early, as PASS typically sends them out in batches. For example, they will collect all the applications that are submitted during the first 3 weeks, and mail them in bulk to the schools. The next mailing might be a month later, and then once a month until the end of the cycle.

Most programs send out interview invitations in a September-November time window, with actual interviews being October-December for most. Mileage varies from program to program.

You want to have your application in fairly early, as PASS typically sends them out in batches. For example, they will collect all the applications that are submitted during the first 3 weeks, and mail them in bulk to the schools. The next mailing might be a month later, and then once a month until the end of the cycle.

Most programs send out interview invitations in a September-November time window, with actual interviews being October-December for most. Mileage varies from program to program.

PASS apps are electronic now, no more mail. They are forwarded electronically as they are completed. FYI, not a big deal. It is helpful on this end as we get the apps much sooner.

PASS apps are electronic now, no more mail. They are forwarded electronically as they are completed. FYI, not a big deal. It is helpful on this end as we get the apps much sooner.

That's great! Mine was electronic when I applied but they still printed them out and mailed them in batches to the programs.

By the way, more experience will not make you a worse applicant, in the eyes of the MAJORITY of programs. The clinical experience you gain during GPR is incomparable to the run-of-the-mill experience you would otherwise gain at virtually every one of your first-year associateships or contract dentist positions.

I can tell you first-hand that my GPR contributed greatly to the clinician and Pediatric Residency applicant I became during the class of 2013 (this year's) cycle. I am currently practicing and learning at a GPR that has a heavy emphasis in Pediatric dentistry. Here's how I differentiated myself between the 2009 and 2010 cycles:

1) GPR experience in a hospital-based program with Pediatric O.R. experience
2) Improved class rank during fourth year of DDS education
3) Organized dentistry involvement
4) Knowledge and stories from GPR to share at interviews

Don't underestimate the interview portion of your candidacy in Pediatric Dental programs. Mention the GPR in your CV, personal statement, and make certain that your evaluators are either aware that you are doing the GPR in the first place or are directly involved in your GPR education.

Definitely apply to more than seven programs and apply as soon as the PASS application is available.

Though inconceivable, some programs may not value your GPR experience highly, but the majority will. How would I know? I was in your shoes one year ago.