yet another low gpa 3.18 WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DKim0116

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
NY resident
Cum: 3.18
BCPM: 3.2
Major: Biochemistry
MCATs not taken but have been banging out low 30's on practices
E.Cs include...
research (pharmacology)
clinical/volunteer (ER in hospital, EMT-B for few yrs)
No shadowing yet
Few other things

I'm a senior and I'm in a deep **** b/c I just got a C in biochem I and C- in biochem II just last year. I know I should kill myself right now... BUT I want another chance! I have a few other Cs (5 in total). I'm thinking about staying another year as UG, graduating as a fifth grade (I probably won't be able to graduate with those C's in biochem anyway). While I stay I'm going to re-take all of the C's and continue on with my research with my wonderful PIs. Also continue volunteering and find something meaningful to do.

What do you guys think? Any other options? I also thought about doing premed postbacc but I feel like I don't qualify for it b/c I already fulfilled most if not all of premed reqs.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly a 3.2 and a low 30 will not make you competitive for a US MD school, DO?? maybe,im notsure.

I don't think MD is completely out of your reach, i would get a 32-33 on your MCATs if higher thats better. Your gpa is low, but do another year and get STRAIGHT A's ...like you have to show improvement. B/c the only times medical schools let people in with sub 3.5 gpa's is when there is a drastic improvement junior and senior year....and in ur case you already have two C's your final year. You have to show improvement, getting low grades in ur last few years is bad. If not try a SMP/Post bac

Members don't see this ad :)
I had your GPA and a 35 on the MCAT and largely got shut down last year. If you don't muster at least a 34, I'd only apply to state schools and maybe a couple more forgiving private schools like Tulane, Creighton, and SLU, as far as MD is concerned. DO should be a viable option, though.

So~ at my position at the moment the best bet is to stay another year to re-take all the C's I got to raise my GPA as much as possible?

Right now I'm a senior but if I graduate after staying another year (which will be my fifth year) will the medical schools frown upon my super-seniority?

I'm studying very hard for the real MCAT hoping to blast it out of water (35+).

Anything else I should do to make myself look more favorable?

Thank you

MD school adcomms will not frown on your having spent five (or even six) years in college, but they will frown on your low GPA. I think you'll need to spend more than another year redeeming your GPA and recent mediocre grades, by getting straight As. I think you're right to aim for a 35+ MCAT. Meanwhile, keep building your ECs with a variety of shadowing (including a DO) and your EMT work.