You know the application process is driving you crazy when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

light10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We need a light fun thread.

Signs the application process might be driving you crazy...

1.) Your heart rate and bp increase every time someone casually asks if you've heard from your schools yet? Try to very politely and tactfully scream NO, NO I HAVEN'T THANKS FOR REMINDING ME.

2.) You can recite the exact dates people started hearing from your schools last year (12/28, 1/8, 1/10, 11/23 then 12/8 for me)

3.) when you type 'f' into your web browser, the first suggestion is forums.studentdoctor.net. Second is facebook.

4.) You worry that your application has been lost, your schools have forgotten you, you clearly messed up something since you haven't heard anything from them in weeks...even though you rationally know you shoudn't be hearing anything yet (see #2), and you got 'application complete' notices from all of them.

5.) You've started watching obscure programs from your childhood on youtube to calm you down before bed. (Anyone remember Dinosaurs??)

What are your signs? Surely we have plenty of neuroses between us ;). And we need to laugh and blow off stress (or is that just me?). This waiting part might be the hardest, especially during finals and the holidays! Thank goodness I don't have a smartphone to make me jump every time it beeps!

Members don't see this ad.

We need a light fun thread.

Signs the application process might be driving you crazy...

1.) Your heart rate and bp increase every time someone casually asks if you've heard from your schools yet? Try to very politely and tactfully scream NO, NO I HAVEN'T THANKS FOR REMINDING ME.

2.) You can recite the exact dates people started hearing from your schools last year (12/28, 1/8, 1/10, 11/23 then 12/8 for me)

3.) when you type 'f' into your web browser, the first suggestion is forums.studentdoctor.net. Second is facebook.

4.) You worry that your application has been lost, your schools have forgotten you, you clearly messed up something since you haven't heard anything from them in weeks...even though you rationally know you shoudn't be hearing anything yet (see #2), and you got 'application complete' notices from all of them.

5.) You've started watching obscure programs from your childhood on youtube to calm you down before bed. (Anyone remember Dinosaurs??)

What are your signs? Surely we have plenty of neuroses between us ;). And we need to laugh and blow off stress (or is that just me?). This waiting part might be the hardest, especially during finals and the holidays! Thank goodness I don't have a smartphone to make me jump every time it beeps!

6) You feel like you need a defibrulator everytime you open your e-mail or or phone beeps saying you have an e-mail just to realize it is junk mail. Or you open up your spam 5,000 times a day just to be sure your interview invite isn't in there, even though the spam folder has had the exact same five e-mails for a week.

7) After compulsively checking your e-mail 10,000 times including your spam folder you wonder if you shouldn't call the schools just to be sure you haven't been forgotten or just to be sure your interview invite didn't get lost in cyber space.

Reactions: 1 user
6) You feel like you need a defibrulator everytime you open your e-mail or or phone beeps saying you have an e-mail just to realize it is junk mail. Or you open up your spam 5,000 times a day just to be sure your interview invite isn't in there, even though the spam folder has had the exact same five e-mails for a week.

Soooo true. Curse you, technology!

Members don't see this ad :)

7) After compulsively checking your e-mail 10,000 times including your spam folder you wonder if you shouldn't call the schools just to be sure you haven't been forgotten or just to be sure your interview invite didn't get lost in cyber space.
8.) You're so distracted that your roommates make fun of you for putting your container of uncooked oatmeal in the refrigerator (yes, I just did that)
9.) You've actually screeched at your father to stop mistakenly sending you emails meant for your mom about stupid stuff like bills and groceries. It's not your fault he doesn't know how to use his new Droid and is giving you heart palpitations
:laugh:

I love this, btw… :)

10) Even though you know deep down it's too early to hear from schools and you haven't failed to gain admission yet, you're already writing a new PS, searching for more productive jobs, looking into more volunteer experiences and, last week, baked a very large chocolate cake.

11) Are continuously thinking of things that could have been better on the application or things you potentially forgot on the application.

12) Have gotten to the point where you refuse to go on any first dates for fear of having to talk about your future educational and career plans AGAIN, which currently are hanging by a thread on the edge of a very precarious tree limb.

This is great! It makes me feel not so alone!

13) You stalk the mailman and run to the greet him the minute he shows up at your box to see if he's brought a letter from a vet school, even though you know it's 2-3 months too early. And when there isn't, you ask him repeatedly, "Are you sure you don't have any other mail for me?"

For me, it's pretty much just the phone that's driving me up the wall. I have a Droid and every time it goes off, my heart rate goes through the roof. I'm also guilty of flailing around when someone ELSE'S phone vibrates, thinking its mine and finding out it is not.

Sigh :(

14) You dread when you log on to SDN and your heart sinks when you see the interview invites thread toward the top (or any thread from any of the schools you've applied to) because others may have gotten interviews/accepted and you still are sitting, waiting impatiently....

15. The people at Starbucks (or other local coffee shop) know you by name, know your drink order, and all you have to do is hand them your cup and credit card.

16. Ditto for the liquor store (jk, jk! :laugh: )

17. Your want to punch the next person who tells you it will all work out ok.

Reactions: 1 user
this is awesome, its good to know im not the only one who checks their email 100000 times a day! i agree with all of these things (#16 especially:))

#18 Waking up in the midddle of the night after having nightmares that you didn't get in and will have to wait another year to apply and then another two years until you can potentially start

#19 You've had a dream where you walked into your interview and your interviewers were your main veterinary mentor and your grandfather. Then you wake up disappointed that is wasn't real. :oops:

#19 You've had a dream where you walked into your interview and your interviewers were your main veterinary mentor and your grandfather. Then you wake up disappointed that is wasn't real. :oops:

This actually happened to me....

Members don't see this ad :)
#20 - Every time someone so much as mentioned the STATE one of the schools you applied to is in, you go bonkers.

#21 - You have to make your roommate get the mail.

#22 You have a dream that you show up at your interview with oatmeal on your shirt.

I had an interview dream too! I am a fan of Conan O'brian, and I actually dreamed that he was my interviewer!

If only the real interview was that laid back and funny......:oops:

:laugh::laugh: you guys are cracking me up. Crazy definitely loves company!!

#23 You submitted your application over two months ago, but your PS is still on the 'recent documents' list in Word. Because you open it at least once a week, sure you've made some terrible, admission-suicide worthy error.

#24 - You know the time is coming that you will be refreshing your email for hours straight, even though it refreshes itself automatically. And you hope to put off that obsessive email refreshing until letters actually will be coming, but there's no way that will happen.

#25. Your whole body cringes and your eyes begin twitching whenever someone asks you, "So, have you heard from vet schools yet?"
#26. In response, you make a disturbed facial expression (that was supposed to be a forced smile) and make eye contact just long enough to respond, "Not yet."

26. You either break down and start crying or scream at the person when they ask you what you're doing next year. WHO KNOWS???

27. When even though its the weekend, you keep checking your mail/phone/SDN hoping that an admissions office will start sending out interview invites.

I'm not sure why this is a jk...All the doormen, several of the servers, and a few of the bartenders know me at the local bar/club I've been going there so often lately lol.

28. In an attempt to pass the time yet keep a positive attitude, you go to craigslist to research places to live in the cities you might be moving to.

No joke here either! My wonderful bro-in-law (who's a doctor and has 'been there, done that') took me on a much needed field trip to a liquor and beer warehouse. After I filled 1/2 our cart with mircobrews and a bottle of cheap white he resounded that it 'should be enough to get me to January'. :p

29.) A coworker says that she'll add you to her 'prayer list'.

No kidding - happened this morning on the way up in the elevator...

Especially the phrase, "I'm sure you'll get in."

Agreed. Unless the person saying this is on an admissions committee for the school(s) you're applying to, this is not helpful. At all. Ever.

And to the person who mentioned making your roommate get your mail... :thumbup: I did that last year. AVC letters were coming out on March 10th. Apartment-mate got home way before I did. Her explicit instructions were "Open it and call me." I'm not living with anyone this year, but I have a two hour gap that day when I can run home between classes to check my mail box.

I'm not sure why this is a jk...All the doormen, several of the servers, and a few of the bartenders know me at the local bar/club I've been going there so often lately lol.

I mean...I was trying not to come across as an alcoholic. :rolleyes: But apparently we're all feeling the same way! My coworkers know what kind of beer to buy me for Christmas...

#30. When you are more nervous for other people getting letters than you are about taking 1st semester finals(for all of us first years).

I'm not kidding, I get a little excited/nervous for you guys every time I see the letter thread bumped to the top. It's got me more worked up than taking finals for the first time in 3 years. :laugh:

My heart rate doesn't go up as long as there is still no one on the interview list for the schools I am applying to.

Not sure what number we're up to, but You know the application process is driving you crazy when you constantly check flight and hotel prices in the hopes that planning an interview trip is the same as getting invited for an interview.

Mine aren't exactly the same... but similar enough.

You know you are studying for boards too much when...

-you haven't checked sdn in months
-you decorate your sidewalk for thanksgiving with chalk and draw easter eggs

Good luck everyone!

31) It is t-minus 3 days until your supplemental app is due and t-minus 8 days to your only interview and you can't stop watching re-runs of "Cash Cab" because it's the only thing that makes you feel smart.

#32- You're thankful it's Sunday because you're guaranteed not to receive a rejection letter in the mail.... but you still check the box anyway (just in case the mail lady felt like being that spiteful or you forgot to completely empty the box on Saturday...)

33. You keep SDN open in the background while you do hw and refresh the page every ten minutes or so.

#34 At first the official rejection list only made you sad, now you're starting to resent it for reason #17 on this list.

#35- You have a friend who is in a class that you aren't in, but this class has a lot of pre-vets who applied this year. You and said friend get together regularly to study for statistics. You both are behind and are scrambling to learn the material for the midterm because you spend your study sessions having her tell you all the "hot gossip" she overhears from these other pre-vets, including who got interviews, who got accepted to other schools, etc.

#36- You have to go out of town for a training for a few days and your biggest concern centers around who will be getting the mail while you're gone....

37) You're planning winter vacation and are trying to make it as short as possible since no one will be home to check the mail...

38) You applied to pharmacy schools (me) and you get accepted to a top 10 Vet school instead.

38/39... I don't know if the above sounds like Pharm..

The permanent feeling of nausea is in your stomach. And now you think you have developed GERD.

40. You have talked the vets ear off you do ride alongs with because it's all you can think about, dream about, ect. I actually apologized to him about 4 times thus far.

41. You secretly hope that if you don't check your e-mail all day you will get an interview because you were so good.. (This is fading fast).

42. You write secret love letters (or more like pleading letters) to the veterinary admissions committee on your facebook status.

38) You applied to pharmacy schools (me) and you get accepted to a top 10 Vet school instead.

*stares blankly*

*stares again*

yeah... um. what? :eyebrow:

#41. You find yourself irrationally annoyed when someone posts in the official interview invitee/ official rejection thread an it is not an official invite/rejection..

Aforementioned SDN stalking yields thought process: omg its at the top of the thread! do i really have a reason to freak out? - has one of my schools actually started sending invites/rejections?!?!? Check thread - no new official news -> extreme annoyance that neurotic tendencies could be subjected to such torture. check yourself - people are offering words of wisdom/encouragement/sympathy - not taunting your compulsions with thread bumps.

I don't even have the pre-reqs to apply to pharm. I checked. They want Calculus (which I can see... and I SUCK at math in university) and English 200... how the heck is Shakespeare going to help me be a better pharmacist? I only needed a composition class and an english elective for vet school.

Me and my pre-health buddies are desperately trying to find a health-related program to apply to in case we don't get accepted. No luck. That should probably be #42 :p

I apologize for aforementioned tangent that happened in the official rejections, I tend to do that... that's why I've refrained from posting anything else.

#43. Compared to the torture of waiting and waiting, you start to think that waterboarding doesn't sound so bad.

*stares blankly*

*stares again*

yeah... um. what? :eyebrow:

Haha. I totally don't get this either. When I saw no one had commented on it I thought I was just missing something.

Haha. I totally don't get this either. When I saw no one had commented on it I thought I was just missing something.

I felt the exact same way...I don't understand