You know you been studying for the MCAT for too long when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madame99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My top 10...

1. Your friend's are sending you emails/calling to ask when u r going to re-emerge from hibernation cus they havent seen you for so long
2. You look forward to certain days of the week cus its Biology Tuesday and that isnt as bad as Physics Thursdays
3. You own more MCAT prep books than you can ever realistically work through
4. You tell your parent to leave you alone, shoo them away from your room, or just ignore their presence when you are taking timed practice tests
5. You look at some mundane object such as a streetlight or a flying bug and think how it could relate to an MCAT passage (i.e if the bug is flying at a velocity of 5 m/s over a distance of 10 m, what is its acceleration?)
6. You read a newspaper and think of how you can relate the story to a MCAT writing prompt
7. Your emotions range from desperate pessimism to hopeful optimism by the hour
8. When you drink a cup of coffee and pee 15 min later you instantly think of ADH
9. You get annoyed when your non-MCAT friends ask you how the studying is going
10. You spend more time perusing SDN than you would like to admit

Please feel free to add more :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
11. When your reading the newspaper you cant finish a paragraph unless you make a mental map of it.

when you see any number 5-15 anywhere (in my case on a road sign), you wonder which section its talking about

Hahaha so many of those are true. I actually had to turn down bar hopping with friends tonight because I really had to get some studying done :(. Mcat studying sucks.

12. You lay in bed at night and you just have terms running through your head like "Sympathetic post-ganglionic neurotransmitters"

13. You think you're hot **** cause you can name the six hormones required for the mcat that come out of the anterior pituitary

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
7. Your emotions range from desperate pessimism to hopeful optimism by the hour

Isn't that the truth. It's like I've been PMSing straight since early June. I'm driving my poor bf up the wall.

1.4 x 10^1. You convert every number you see into scientific notation

16. Or you get sick of studying at the same place library/home and decide to go to Starbucks/B&N for a change.
17. And then you run into a few friends with whom you spend a good amount of time catching up :)

18. You look forward to being able to listen to real music instead of Audio Osmosis

19. You don't want to read anything for "fun" for fear of pushing something important out of your head

Reactions: 1 users
You look forward to going back to school so you don't have to study as much

A simple wikipedia search on "orbital hybridization theory" leads to my clicking on "linus pauling" which leads to "nobel peace prize" and before I know it I'm reading about Theodore Roosevelt's Progressive Party movement.

Members don't see this ad :)
you have nightmares about taking the CBT and accidentally clicking the wrong button at the end where it says "grade/void"

15. Your "breaks" from studying involve perusing the SDN MCAT forum.

Because, when you're on SDN, it's kinda like studying... right? That way, it's not just a break, it's really multi-tasking (or so I keep telling myself)... :rolleyes:

Lately, I've been making deals with myself along the lines of 'okay, if you get 10 more EK 1001 Chem questions right in a row, you can play on SDN for 5 minutes.'

My life is really sad right now. :(

18. You look forward to being able to listen to real music instead of Audio Osmosis

19. You don't want to read anything for "fun" for fear of pushing something important out of your head

Haha, I'm guilty of number 19. In my case, it's movies. But it's "norepinephrine" for number 12, right? I'm just too lazy to look it up.

When someone mentions increase in blood pressure, you quickly think of what that will do to the kidney filtration process.
When you see road signs you quickly think of organic compounds and their chemical and physical properties.

Or this is all ^^ me haha!

Haha, I'm guilty of number 19. In my case, it's movies. But it's "norepinephrine" for number 12, right? I'm just too lazy to look it up.

Yea and epinephrine. ACh is parasympathetic.

20. You answer questions like these to solidify your own knowledge.

you guys are intense!

the closest I can relate to this is taking formula sheets to the gym lol.. thats about as far as I go though.. I can only put in about 2hrs a day of studying before I go insane so I take them to the gym with me as a way of feeling less guilty!

Yea and epinephrine. ACh is parasympathetic.

20. You answer questions like these to solidify your own knowledge.

ACh also for voluntary/somatic nervous system. It's also used for presynaptic ganglion for sympathetic. Aaaaaargh.
This is why I never open a SDN topic that asks for answers to actually MCAT material.
lol at number 20. I start panicking if I can't remember stuff and I have to drop EVERYTHING I am doing and IMMEDIATELY go look it up. Very stressful.

Last edited:
you guys are intense!

the closest I can relate to this is taking formula sheets to the gym lol.. thats about as far as I go though.. I can only put in about 2hrs a day of studying before I go insane so I take them to the gym with me as a way of feeling less guilty!

21. If I don't put in a good 7-8 hours of solid studying a day everyday, I feel like I failed in life.

23. you start having MCAT dreams....you guys know what im talking about. Sometimes ill start listing off different hormones from the anterior pituitary and crap like that... and im not joking btw.

Haha this is an awesome thread. So many things are true!

Is it odd that, despite how excited I will be after my exam, that I sense that I am going to still miss studying for this exam?

Haha this is an awesome thread. So many things are true!

Is it odd that, despite how excited I will be after my exam, that I sense that I am going to still miss studying for this exam?
Yes it is odd :) Just another indication of how we don't have a life outside of MCAT until it's over.
For me, I know I have been studying too long because I feel like my butt is getting bigger since all I do is sit. Hard to remember when I actually had the time to run regularly. That is one of the things I am really looking forward to when this is over. Of course, that will be a day or two after I down a bunch of peach Bellini's after this exam
artistic.gif

24. The people at the Barnes and Noble cafe memorized your drink order because you're there everyday

25. You have memorized the EK bio book, and know what sentence is next when you are reading.

26) You have listened to audio osmosis so much that you know what they are going to say, and the bad jokes they pull.

27) Or when you show off by saying Biology Mnemonics: Pure as Gold, Cut the Pye, Flat pig, Seven Up!

28) When you've studied so much that your ExamKracker books DONT have that weird smell anymore.

Yeah what is with that smell in the EK 1001 question series? The bio one stinks like you-know-what.

lol i just smelled my EK Bio book, you're right it does smell a bit funky...i like the way the Kaplan books smell though...smells like education mmmmmmm :)

what do those stand for?

Pure as Gold

Purines Adenine and Guanine

Cut the pye

Cytosine Thymine Prymidines

Flat Pig
All the endocrine hormones

luentizing hormone
growth hormone
parathryoid hormone
acth
fsh
forgot two of them haha must re hit the books
Seven UP is a mnemonic for the male reproductive system.
Semineferous, etc.

PS: Spelling not my forte

haha HOW did I NOT see that someone had posted the answers before me, oh well.

29) You drink so many energy drinks/coffee that once your done with your practice exam the saying "caffeine crash" means you walk around with a unbearable headache for the next few hours, so much so that studying more really isn't an option :)

30) the only thing on your ipod is the audio osmosis tracks to force you to study no matter where you're going, instead of listening to real music.

30) the only thing on your ipod is the audio osmosis tracks to force you to study no matter where you're going, instead of listening to real music.

Yeah that is crazy I would nuts without real music for the months I studied. Haha your brave person!

31. You IM your friends who are also taking it to check out the competition.

You're dead broke after spending all ur money on MCAT books, so you stand by the edge of the freeway with a cardboard sign that says "Will do MCAT problems for food"

You're dead broke after spending all ur money on MCAT books, so you stand by the edge of the freeway with a cardboard sign that says "Will do MCAT problems for food"

LOL, I know what you mean man, those books are expensive, and the AAMC tests :mad:

- you become incredibly anxious as test day approaches. Not for the test itself, but because you have NO idea what you will do with your life after you are done with the mcat.

So I don't need to study 5 hours a day anymore?

-you take a break from a 6 hour library study session and get called out for using the oposite gender's bathroom...only to do it again 3 hours later.

btw--this really just happened to me. I guess the absense of urinals didn't strike me as odd.