You know you're having a bad day when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GWD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You're entire thesis is scooped and you have to start all over again at square 1! w00!

So yeah.. don't know how I missed it, but I just found a paper in Cell Stem Cell yesterday from a couple of months ago where a group basically elucidated every single one of the specific aims from my thesis proposal in one fell swoop.

Looks like I'll be starting from scratch :boom:

Man.. talk about a kick in the nuts... UGH!

Ain't life grand?

Members don't see this ad.

OH THE JOYS OF SCIENCE!

Well, I was about a year in, and I am beyond stunned.

I just keep telling myself that I have a job to go to tomorrow, a roof over my head, shoes on my feet, and food in my refridgerator, which is way more than most people have in this world, so I'm trying to not feel too sorry for myself.

They just came out of nowhere. This group has never even published high-impact work in our field before. In fact, what they published a couple months ago (scooped us by 3 months) is very similar to the paper I talked about we have coming out on June 1st with the commentary attached. Even the commentator (one of the major players in our field) had missed this report... it just basically got TOTALLY overlooked and came out of nowhere.

If there is any vindication in it for me, there is one major hypothesis they got wrong, and if I'm quick I can get a couple quick experiments done and fit in the final piece to "their" puzzle.

But one experiment does nay a thesis make.. *sigh* looks like it's back to the old drawing board.

OH THE JOYS OF SCIENCE!

Well, I was about a year in, and I am beyond stunned.

I just keep telling myself that I have a job to go to tomorrow, a roof over my head, shoes on my feet, and food in my refridgerator, which is way more than most people have in this world, so I'm trying to not feel too sorry for myself.

They just came out of nowhere. This group has never even published high-impact work in our field before. In fact, what they published a couple months ago (scooped us by 3 months) is very similar to the paper I talked about we have coming out on June 1st with the commentary attached. Even the commentator (one of the major players in our field) had missed this report... it just basically got TOTALLY overlooked and came out of nowhere.

If there is any vindication in it for me, there is one major hypothesis they got wrong, and if I'm quick I can get a couple quick experiments done and fit in the final piece to "their" puzzle.

But one experiment does nay a thesis make.. *sigh* looks like it's back to the old drawing board.

Dude, that sucks but you were only a year in. You are lucky to already have a thesis project at this stage, so I'm not that sad for you. This paper can just serve to guide you in a new direction in your existing project... but you must know you already have stiff competition.

Just take a week off and come up with some new aims using this new information.

Good luck!