Younger ACLS Instructor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FCMike11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ACLS is a very well defined course, pretty much anyone who passes the test is capable of teaching it in my opinion. Granted some people can make it more entertaining than others.

Age is irrelevent

I think it's all in your confidence. If you go out there and teach the course like you know it, I think people will pick up on that. That said you'll probably always have some people who just see a young person and will find a reason to dislike being taught by their juniors, but then you shouldn't care about earning the respect of someone like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people are born educators, others are not. If you know the material inside and out and can talk the talk and walk the walk, then heck you should be teaching the course. I've had classes with MD's who couldn't teach their way out of a paper bag and I've had classes from Med students who seemed as though they had been teaching for years.

If you feel confident in your abilities, then I say go for it!

Yes some will not respect you because of your age, but sadly age does not equal wisdom. I work with people who know more than me every single day who have me bested in age by at least 5-7 years. People should respect the instructor based on what they know and how well they share that knowledge, rather than how much grey hair they have.

Great replies guys, I'm definitely going to seize this opportunity. Can only benefit my clinical skills, but surely this will be just another + on my list when I apply for med school.

I know this wouldn't carry significant weight, but it wont hurt me. Would this be considered and EC or clinical experience? Any idea how this would contribute exactly?

I think it would further validate my purpose to eventually end up in a teaching hospital/academic setting. How would med schools look at this experience? An I'm aware it wouldn't be huge enough to override bad stats.

Mike,
I'm one of the "seasoned" medics who teaches ACLS at the local teaching hospital. Most of our instructor pool are medics and nurses, with the occasional RT. Our students are nurses and docs - from residents through attendings.

The respect you speak about comes from 3 things: your knowledge of the course material, your presentation skills, and from your experience. The latter is what permits you to come up with examples when you teach, and provide guidance on how to handle situations which arise when the real code is more complex or less successful than the 3-4 rhythm megacode test. This experience is less about age than the number of patients you've coded, and the role you played in the code. One of our finest instructors is in his late 20's - but he has about 8-10 years experience as a medic and has lead dozens of codes.

Does your experience as an ACLS instructor help you later on, for example in being accepted into other programs? Yes - to this extent: it can separate you from the pack - as long as you are already one of the leaders. It doesn't count as clinical experience and it doesn't substitute for above average grades. It did help seal my admission into PA school - but I still had to more than meet all the other requirements.

Maybe its just me, but ACLS isn't that complicated. A monkey can follow an algorithm. I don't think people take ACLS as seriously as you think they do, and nobody cares who the instructor is.

Go for it.

I was an acls and phtls instructor at 23. it wasn't an issue.
acls used to be a real course in which you had to know all the material, had to do all the procedures, etc but they have watered it down so much and made it user friendly so that "everyone passes". I stopped teaching acls over a decade ago when they told me I couldn't fail incompetent twits anymore.

I was an acls and phtls instructor at 23. it wasn't an issue.
acls used to be a real course in which you had to know all the material, had to do all the procedures, etc but they have watered it down so much and made it user friendly so that "everyone passes". I stopped teaching acls over a decade ago when they told me I couldn't fail incompetent twits anymore.

Ditto - it's nearly senseless for most hospitals to require it of their nursing and medical staffs.

Years ago, there had to be a medical director for each course and it was a full two-day affair. Now, likely as not, it takes a couple hours tops, it's "taught" by an RN or paramedic who (no offense) isn't allowed to think outside the box and act independent of protocols, and is trying to explain simplistic algorithms to a group which has far more education than they do.

Ditto - it's nearly senseless for most hospitals to require it of their nursing and medical staffs...

Been saying this for years (for hospital nurses)

For flight nurses and medics (and any pre or out of hospital nursing), bring back the 'old' way of teaching it, and don't hold hands.

As a nurse, I have never run a code (in the hospital) in my life. Not even close.

To the OP, I have never cared who or how old someone teaching this class was. ( I have taken it about a dozen times)
As long as they make it interesting and fun.

All the 'classes' and certifications required by nursing admin (TNCC, PALS, CCRN, etc.) are fluff, and are silly to require them of hospital nurses.
We simply don't practice independently within the hospital.
At most, we use physician written protocols.

Problem with all these nursing certifications is that they don't teach common sense and communication, two skills which many nurses lack on some level.

They mandate them for appearance and legal reasons, nothing more.

TNCC was a colossal waste of time (even for pre hospital nursing)

Yes, the CCRN exam is 'hard', but passing it does not a better critical care nurse make.
It makes the hospital look compliant when up for whatever lame certification or accreditation, period.

Last edited:
ACLS is a very well defined course, pretty much anyone who passes the test is capable of teaching it in my opinion. Granted some people can make it more entertaining than others.

Age is irrelevent

In my neck of the woods, ACLS ain't cheap (about $ 500). I would be pretty pissed if some kid was to show up as an instructor.

I would expect to receive intstruction from teachers with a significant amount of real world experience; this is what I am paying for. Not mere regurgitation of the textbook - I can do that at home.

I came to this class with a lot non protocol based questions - someone who had simply memorized the ACLS protocols would not be able to answer them.

Because the instructors were very experienced , I was able to get my questions (and I had quite a few) answered. Get your money's worth out of these programs.

In my neck of the woods, ACLS ain't cheap (about $ 500). I would be pretty pissed if some kid was to show up as an instructor.

I would expect to receive intstruction from teachers with a significant amount of real world experience; this is what I am paying for. Not mere regurgitation of the textbook - I can do that at home.

I came to this class with a lot non protocol based questions - someone who had simply memorized the ACLS protocols would not be able to answer them.

Because the instructors were very experienced , I was able to get my questions (and I had quite a few) answered. Get your money's worth out of these programs.

in the u.s, these courses are a lot less expensive. initial course around 200 bucks, recert around 125. many places let those with staff privileges take the courses for free.
the acls for experienced providers course is an excellent option if available in your neck of the woods. it covers all the basics but spends most of the time on optional stuff like hypothermia, different drug o.d.'s, treating acidotic patients, electrical injuries, etc.
I have taken acls 12 times and taught it probably 50 times. the acls-ep course is worth the time and money if you are tired of the basic course. Link to EP course:
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/CPRAn...ovider-EP_UCM_306644_Article.jsp#.TuBEv1ayDSE

Last edited by a moderator: