Your Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vir0n

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to re-apply to medical school. I got a 27 last time and looking to improve. I recently purchased EK materials and have been looking at them off and on. I'm currently in a transition point in my job and have been needing to spend more time on that rather than studying. Anyway, I plan to start cracking it very soon.

So my question is three-fold. 1) Should I re-take my MCAT? 2) Should I take it in April? 3) Should I wait until August for the MCAT but start applying in June?

Thanks,

vir0n

Members don't see this ad.

IMHO,
1. Yes, 27 is not that bad, but won't open any doors for you
2. Yes, you still have a lot of time. 6-8 weeks of hardwork should help a lot.
3. No, August puts you at too much of a disadvantage, you have enough time to do well in April.

You should retake it in April. I would also consider applying to DO schools if you don't mind DO degree and want to be physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
The answer to your question lies in whether you can raise your MCAT score by 3 or more points in April.

There are obvious risks to a late application.

Did you get feedback from schools you applied to? Is your MCAT the problem?

I feel I am a strong applicant otherwise. I have a 3.75 GPA. B.S. Microbiology withminor in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Good LORs, etc. My MCAT has dragged me down. D.O. school is a possibility.

vir0n said:
I feel I am a strong applicant otherwise. I have a 3.75 GPA. B.S. Microbiology withminor in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Good LORs, etc. My MCAT has dragged me down. D.O. school is a possibility.

What state are you a resident of? Because in Cali, New York, it would be pretty hard to get into an allopathic school with a 27. ALso, how is your spread? Nothing lower than an 8 or 9 I hope. You could get into a DO school no problem, and some state schools would accept you.
I have a 3.5, 28 MCAT and got into MSU this year, and was invited to interview at Wayne State but turned them down.

I also applied to osteopathic schools and was accepted everywhere I interviewed. My advice-take the MCAT again in April, if you feel like you can do better, then apply on June 1st to both DO and MD schools. If you don't really want to go to a DO school, then make sure you apply to a lot of MD schools that are within your range (ie-don't waste money on Harvard and Yale).