Your favourite non-medicine related hobby/activity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_dre

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone seems so stressed about having all the research/clinical hours/work experience that will get them into med school. So much time is put towards these activities - sometimes doing something we don't like just to get it on that resume and to get that little step ahead.

So just wondering, in your lifetime what are some of the coolest non-medicine related activities you have participated in; things you've done just for yourself?

Members don't see this ad.

Traveling, creative writing, concerts, trying out new recipes.... nothing super "cool" but just for myself.

Let's see, movies...more spec. horror movies, comics, some constipated artistic endeavors, cartoons, the usual...and oh yeah...Ebay to fill the gaping holes in my psyche with shoddily constructed stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
traveling, concerts, cooking, camping, swimming, hiking, movies, scrapbooking, photography, sewing, lots of crafty creative type stuff ;)

good question! I got asked this in EVERY SINGLE interview! What do you do to relax, for fun, ect... it's important to have non-medical interests :oops:

running, modern dance, writing, traveling, hiking about, going to the cinema/theatre :)

hiking, biking, smoking bud, working out, cooking.

Carpentry and masonry, but hey, could still be med-related since I'm leaning towards ortho. :D

Reading The Economist and listening to the BBC world service.

Watching movies/ tv shows, web design, ping pong, camping, computer games, eating

Photography/scrapbooking, made a quilt for my niece & nephew when they were born, baking

Traveling, reading, swimming, horseback riding, watching movies.

Members don't see this ad :)
bellydancing
singing kareoke really off-key (not on purpose)
crocheting scarves with skulls and crossbones on them for friends
bowling granny-style
concerts

Travel-- domestic, international...I love language barriers; photography -- street and portrait, hiking/bouldering/actingstupidinthewoods, most anything to do with the ocean -- swimming, snorkeling, SCUBA, playing SEAL/PJ; lock picking, climbing anything I can find to climb, exploring a city, or old buildings, or playing spy on weekends when the school is empty; learning a new subject by myself -- mathematics, usually; zombie stuff, funny stuff when I'm depressed (quite often, lately)...

But I really like exploring, hiking, camping, swimming, and such things...

Paintballing, running & lifting, cooking & baking, hockey

It would have to be fishing. Nothing like sitting in the flatboat w/ some of my wifes iced tea and throwing the baitcaster. I could sit out there forever

Boxing, soccer, watching the world cup X10, gardening

BOXWARS!

i hope i'll still have time for this when i'm doing the med school thing.

Nevadanteater said:
BOXWARS!

i hope i'll still have time for this when i'm doing the med school thing.

What the ? :eek: Well, everyone needs their pasttimes ...

Mine mostly consist of finding new music to listen to, going to the gym, cooking, watching reality tv, and playing online games and puzzles, but you want cool and extravagant?

Getting up with internet friends once a year for a murder mystery or reality game weekend :D

dr_dre said:
Your favourite non-medicine related hobby/activity

making fun of Canadians... :D j/k i'm a canadian too, that has shuttled back and forth between the US and Canada when I was a little kid... getting color and colour marked wrong twice on spelling tests is something I STILL can't get out of my nightmares... :mad: ;)

Travelling (been all over Europe), creative writing (hope to get published some day...also hope to one day write for a medical show like House or something just for fun...), drawing (even though I can't), salsa, physics, celebrity gossip, classic rock, playing with my dog, amnesty international, reading/writing political satire, political activism, ice skating, archery, and recreational drugs.

Best thing I've done outside of school was hiking three weeks on the AT... all you hikers out there, have you done of the AT or PCT?? OTherwise, anything outdoorsy, cycling, ice hockey, mtb biking...

Ultimate Frisbee, Soccer, Cars, Running, Lifting

Skiing, climbing, hiking, mnt biking, writing, gardening, going on walks with my wife, SDN.
I spend way too much time on the later... :oops:

Golfing, fly-fishing, camping, hiking, boating, running, investing (don't take that the wrong way, I'll definitely be getting loans...but I'm an econ major and sincerely enjoy the theory), web-design...

noonday said:
crocheting scarves with skulls and crossbones on them for friends

Seriously I want one of those!!! :smuggrin:

Learning to play guitar, playing violin, writing songs, working on the novel I've been writing (for.....three years now), crawling around in burning buildings, SCUBA diving, stormchasing, camping, hiking, hunting and fishing.

oxeye said:
Playing the piano and dog stuff (shows and breeding). :) And spending quality time with my kids.

Your avatar pic is so cute.... makes me want to have kids! :)

knitting, aromatherapy, traveling, reading, visiting friends, art, gardening, cooking and yes i listen to too much npr, too. and i love playing my flute.

NERD! :p

i was wondering who'd be the first to say that ;)

Drinking isn't one of my major hobbies anymore, but....

I still play ice hockey as much as I can, lifting/workingout (gotten into boxing lately), skiing when I can. I've read way too much science crap the last few years, so I want to get back into some philo (I regret not majoring in that). Also, I regret not taking Latin, so I planned on teaching myself Latin this summer...haven't gotten past chapter 1 yet though

strapping myself into a harness and jumping off of buildings, out of windows, off of verrrry high scaffolding, etc, and gracefully flying and flipping through the air while I do it... :cool:

Igni Fera said:
strapping myself into a harness and jumping off of buildings, out of windows, off of verrrry high scaffolding, etc, and gracefully flying and flipping through the air while I do it... :cool:
I've put on 80 lbs of protective fire gear and very ungracefully fallen through a roof, the ceiling and landed on the first floor of a two story house......I think I flipped over several times in the process......does that count for anything?

Tennis! It isn't very interesting or a great accomplishment but I love playing tennis. I am not even very good but I love it and can't get enough.

Tennis is definitely my favorite non-academic hobby. Also I enjoy playing video games but I'd rather be out there hitting tennis balls than play counter strike anytime.

For me it's surfing. I can't imagine relieving stress in any other way. I'm able to just sit out on my board in the ocean and think and surf for 2-3 hours at a time. It's so wonderful.

Also I've recently picked up the guitar. Been playing for about a year now. I'm not that good, but I just have so much fun playing. Trying to learn "Classical Gas" right now. Cool song, really fast and hard though.

Yoga, reading non-medical/science stuff, and when I get to SoCal -- surfing!

and when I get to SoCal -- surfing!

A modern day version of the ancient tradition of bullbaiting, only now it's "shark baiting"

DropkickMurphy said:
A modern day version of the ancient tradition of bullbaiting, only now it's "shark baiting"
Not really in SoCal. You're probably more in danger from other surfers (rather territorial) than anything with fins.

Traveling, playing guitar, wakeboarding and snowboarding, owning people in Super Smash Brothers

oh yea, and tailgating and drinking :)

True....I'm thinking more like the Channel Islands further north....but whites do travel south along the coast....supposedly they pup down in the waters around the Baja peninsula so you might still become a shark hors d'oevure (pronounced "horse doover") :laugh:

singing, writing, cooking, reading, working out.....

Golf and Wakeboarding

Been playing Golf since I was 10 and will be playing till I die. Wakeboarding is amazing, especially on that smooth "glass".

Badminton, tennis, pool, movies, chillin' with good friends

Studying languages, guitar, video games, drinking coffee whilst surfing the net (mostly wikipedia), drinking coffee with friends, drinking coffee and thinking of inventions, drinking with friends, having conversations/debates, trying to impress girls, making people think, getting people to try new things, building things, people watching, some working out, thinking about life and creating new oppurtunities. Disc golf.