know any EDP admission rates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogo82865

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know any EDP admission rates for any school (#people apply/#people accepted)?

yeah there are many factors to consider, but i'm just wondering in general

Members don't see this ad.

This is a great question. The implication of these programs is that applicants will have a better-than-average shot at being accepted. Do the numbers support this view? I'm guessing that the numbers will be hard to come by.

I can't speak for most schools, but at UAB an individual in the admissions department told me at one point that (and I'm dredging up the memory here, so my numbers may be off a little) only 2-3 EDP applicants had not been accepted in the last 3-4 years, out of the 10-15 they get each year. Whether all the others were accepted directly from EDP, or whether many of them were accepted after deferment to the regular admissions, I don't know. Again, these numbers are only my recollection, I could be off some, but the statement made to me was that if an applicant was qualified to apply EDP, and they were willing to make that committment to UAB, then they were going to have to give them a good reason to NOT be accepted to fail. I'm hoping this is true as I really want to go to UAB, and just applied EDP, so I'll let yall know how it goes!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that the numbers will be harder to come by but think of this:
If you are applying ED you:
A) should have met with someone in the office to tell you that you are very competitive for ED admissions.
B) You are committing that they are your top choice which is far more weight than even the best LOIntent.

I would venture to say that they are significantly higher than regular rates and would speculate that they are >50% at some state schools

humuhumu said:
This is a great question. The implication of these programs is that applicants will have a better-than-average shot at being accepted. Do the numbers support this view? I'm guessing that the numbers will be hard to come by.

I saw the stats somewhere in a pie graph, I think from UMass if you go on their website and look up their application statistics. I know they reserve 10 slots for "highly qualified applicants" in the EDP of their mandated class of 100 and that about 2% of all applicants are admitted EDP. I assume that any other state school that posts their application stats will include it. But who knows. Just so you know, if are not accepted, you'll have to scramble to get the rest of your secondaries in after OCT 1 (sorta late IMHO).

I have heard from someone in admissions at USF COM in Florida that 80% of those that recieve interviews applying EDP get in. I also heard from another student that in a previous year 15 of 16 applicants that applied ED got in. But you do have to have a 3.7 GPA and a 30 MCAT to even apply ED. Im sure its different at every school though.

anyone else know more any other info?

At Wayne State the last figure I heard was also about 80% acceptance (avg GPA = 3.6, MCAT = 9's, but it went up this year to 10's). Keep in mind that if you don't get in ED you can reapply to the school in the regular admission process, but you'd be behind the curve, but on pace with people that took the August MCAT only.

If you take the EDP route you can find out if you got into your school from like July-Sept, conversely if you take the August MCAT you don't even get your scores back until like October....so I say it's worth the gamble (oh, and I think you can do EDP MD and still apply to DO schools since they don't use the same application system - I'll post a thread on this and see what people say)

At LSU-Shreveport I think 19 people applied EDP and 14 got accepted into a freshmen class of 100 or so students. Even if you do not get in EDP you are thwarted into the regular applicant pool which kinda seems like a 2 for 1 type of application deal.

I know at least 2 people were accepted at NYU ED this year (myself included!). Also, only 6 of us were interviewed so that's not so bad.

For NYU, you need at least a 3.6 GPA and you have to go to NYU undergrad which severely limits the application pool.