AACOMAS GPA calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnesthesiaMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was browsing the pre-MD threads and it said something about how AACOMAS won't calculate an F in a course if the class is retaken and a better grade is earned. How does this organization calculate GPAs? Also, my school gives grades of A, BA, B, CB, C, etc. which the corresponding numerical grades are 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5, and 2.0 respectively. Will AACOMAS use that to calculate my GPA? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was browsing the pre-MD threads and it said something about how AACOMAS won't calculate an F in a course if the class is retaken and a better grade is earned. How does this organization calculate GPAs? Also, my school gives grades of A, BA, B, CB, C, etc. which the corresponding numerical grades are 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5, and 2.0 respectively. Will AACOMAS use that to calculate my GPA? Thanks!

Yes they will. GO to AACOM.org and go under FAQ's. Also, you can try to search on SDN, I am sure that this has been talked about previously.

this link should answer all your questions. You will still have to list your F but the GPA calculation will only include your most recent grade. If they don't you will have to call AACOMAS to have you application fixed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if AACOMAS will still count Engineering as "Other Science"? I was an engineering major in undergrad and the engineering courses are what brought down my GPA. My other sciences are much better. I know AMCAS doesn't include engineering in the science GPA calculation. Is AACOMAS going to follow that?

Does anyone know if AACOMAS will still count Engineering as "Other Science"? I was an engineering major in undergrad and the engineering courses are what brought down my GPA. My other sciences are much better. I know AMCAS doesn't include engineering in the science GPA calculation. Is AACOMAS going to follow that?
Check teh link I've posted. Its all spelled out right there.

Engineering counts as "other science."

Biochemistry

Biochemistry
Physiological Chemistry

Biology/Zoology

Animal Science
Anatomy
Bacteriology
Biology
Botany
Cellular & Molecular Biology
Cellular Physiology
Ecology
Evolution
Genetics
Hematology
Histology
Immunology
Microbiology
Micro-Organisms
Natural Science
Neurology
Oceanography
Parasitology
Pathology
Physiology
Virology
Zoology

Inorganic Chemistry

Chemistry, General
Medical Chemistry
Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Physical Chemistry
Qualitative Analysis
Quantitative Analysis
Readings in Chemistry
Research in Chemistry
Special Topics in Chemistry
Structures & Bonds
Organic Chemistry Bio-Organic Chemistry
Organic Chemistry
Readings in Organic Chemistry
Special Topics in Organic Chemistry

Other Science

Agricultural Science
Astronomy
Chiropractic
Electronics
Engineering
Epidemiology
Geology
Kinesiology
Medical Technology
Meteorology
Nutrition
Pharmacy
Physical Anthropology
Physical Geography
Physical Science
Physician Assistant
Radiology

Physics

Electricity & Light
Magnetism
Mechanical Heat
Physics
Thermodynamics

To be determined by department

Mental/Physical Illness
Physiological Psychology

English

Bible Literature
Composition
English
Journalism
Literature
Medical Terminology
Poetry
Reading Skills
Rhetoric
Theater Literature

Math

Behavioral Statistics
Biostatistics
Chemical Math
Computer Science
Math

Other Non-Science

Acting
Agriculture
Archeology
Art
Bioethics
Business
Communications
Cultural Geography
Economics
Education
Emergency Med-Tech
Ethics
First Aid
Foreign Language
Forestry
Geography
Government
Health/Personal Hygiene
History
Humanities
Law
Logic
Military Science
Music
Nursing
Occupational Therapy
Philosophy
Physical Education
Physical Therapy
Political Science
Public Health
Public Speaking
Religion
Respiratory Therapy
Social Ethics
Speech
Speech Pathology
Teaching Science
Theater
Theology
Word Processing

Social/Behavioral Science

Anthropology
Community Health
Criminal Justice
Educational Psychology
Ethnic Studies
Human Sexuality
Marriage/Family
Personal Health
Physiological Ethics
Psychology
Social Science
Social Work/Sociology

Thanks for the help guys, but I guess my question wasn't very clear. I know that Engineering is CURRENTLY considered an "Other Science" course and is calculated in the science GPA calculation.

However, will it still be considered an other science for the next application cycle for 2008?

Thanks for the help guys, but I guess my question wasn't very clear. I know that Engineering is CURRENTLY considered an "Other Science" course and is calculated in the science GPA calculation.

However, will it still be considered an other science for the next application cycle for 2008?

Only the AACOMAS deities know the answer to that, and they probably won't talk. :D

It probably will be, though. Bureaucracies love status quo.

speaking of gpa calcs, anyone have their gpa's updated with the fall semester grades yet?

I was just able to send my transcripts yesterday. My douchebag biochem prof hadn't posted his grades yet despite the fact that he gave the first final of my week.

3.29 for the semester... not all that pretty but nothing below a B.

I updated due to the A- in biochem and the A in med ethics, both of which you take in med school, and also bc it will bump my AACOMAS science GPA to something like a 3.05 and my AMCAS science GPA to over a 3.0 :) (was 2.99..)

speaking of gpa calcs, anyone have their gpa's updated with the fall semester grades yet?

i just did today. all we do is have our school send the transcript, and AACOMAS knows to recalculate it? or do we have to let them know or anything else (like mailing them an updated class list, since we can't access our application anymore to manually type in our grades)?