Infectious disease Application Thread - 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone out there have positive/negative impressions of BU as compared to any of the other Boston (or other east coast) programs?
...and.....any thoughts on the Florida programs, specifically UF -Jacksonville in contrast to any others in the state ( I realize this one is purely clinical, with a very small faculty).....or have people stopped sounding opinions on this forum?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty quiet in our thread for a while... anyone got any updates?

I got an invite from Univ of Chicago and OHSU kind of late in the game I thought. Early this month I believe. I had to decline both b/c it was too expensive and their programs didn't fit with my research interest after digging deeper.

Please share you thoughts about the Cedars Sinai/VA program, good or bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please share you thoughts about the Cedars Sinai/VA program, good or bad.
I didn't interview in California, so can't comment on Cedars Sinai, sorry. Anyone have thoughts about NYC programs, specifically Mt. Sinai vs NYU?

Here are few thoughts I had regarding some of the places I interviewed which have not been mentioned in this thread. I won't really comment on global health as this was not a major factor for me.

Mount Sinai: I really liked this program. It is 2 years but most fellows stay for 3 years or more. The program director, Dr. Shirish S. Huprikar, is very involved and dedicated. The clinical year is one of the most diverse in the country thanks to the inclusion of Elmhurst. There is also a very large transplant service at Mount Sinai. There are many research opportunities and the medical school is in the process of building a brand new research building at the main campus. Thus far fellows have had no difficulty staying for a third year of fellowship. I think that this is currently the best program in New York.

NYPH Columbia: This program is clearly strong and produced excellent ID fellows. The patient population is quite diverse and located in a predominantly hispanic (Dominican) part of NYC. Clinically they are presently lacking a bone marrow transplant population but it sounds like that may change soon. Many transplant patients are seen by private attendings without incorporating the fellows. There is only one teaching ID consult service which is run by one attending and two fellows. The program can be flexible and provide those clinical experiences by allowing fellows to rotate outside Presbyterian. The fellowship program appears to be primarily run by recent graduates. Because they are a smaller program there is some limitation in research, however, the research that is being performed at Columbia is quite impressive. Fellows may either audit or formally attend the school of public health.

UCLA: This is probably the best location if you're primarily interested in Transplant ID. Fellows spend the vast majority at Reagan which is described as a "quaternary" medical center. The program invests a significant amount of funding in their fellows supporting a PhD or masters degree depending on your interests. Fellows have no difficulty staying for four or five years. On the other hand, they've also been able to easily adapt their schedule to those fellows who decide not to perform research and it is possible to finish in two years. ID fellows do spend a month or so at Santa Monica Medical Center for some bread and butter ID. The program director admitted that the program had been in decline before he took it over and he is now trying to rebuild it. He is planning to hire a third ID fellow. I think that they could easily support five fellows and create a broader clinical experience by spreading the fellows out across more hospitals during the first year.

Emory: The clinical experience is very diverse thanks to Grady Hospital and the opportunity to see patients in a more community style at Midtown which also offers obstetrics services. Grady Memorial provides an amazing clinical experience for fellows and now has an electronic medical record. Dr. Armstrong is extremely dedicated to the fellowship program and keeps close tabs on her fellows. In general fellows stay for a third year. Emory keeps many of their own fellows as junior faculty for additional nurturing after completion of their fellowship. The program is very large and there are a ton of opportunities for research, almost too many. In addition to 50+ faculty at Emory, Fellows have the opportunity to work with mentors at the CDC as well. The option is available to earn an MPH or MSCR during the 2nd or 3rd year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just wondering what the average step 1 score required to obtain a fellowship in ID was. Im a second year medical student and I'm definitely considering this as an option- is research required- any tips/advice are welcome- thanks so much

Just wondering what the average step 1 score required to obtain a fellowship in ID was. Im a second year medical student and I'm definitely considering this as an option- is research required- any tips/advice are welcome- thanks so much

At the point of applying for a fellowhip, in my experience, step I score is not all that important. You would be far better served with a stellar program director's letter, letters from well known ID people, and publishing papers.

Step 1 score (assuming passing) is barely relevant for most fellowships, especially ones like ID which aren't at all competitive. Step 2 will be mildly important. Unlike with residency, fellowships don't use Step cutoffs as much in order to "thin the herd" since the herd isn't that big to begin with.

Step 1 score (assuming passing) is barely relevant for most fellowships, especially ones like ID which aren't at all competitive. Step 2 will be mildly important. Unlike with residency, fellowships don't use Step cutoffs as much in order to "thin the herd" since the herd isn't that big to begin with.

Step 1 can still play a role at the most prestigious fellowship programs.

Does any one know anything about ID fellowships through Larkin Community Hospital in Miami, FL? It's a new program that I don't know much about. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.