anybody else have this clinic experience at scholl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalcareers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have decided to attend scholl but i was wondering if anybody else who interviewed their (and esp have decided to go) had the same experience. The clinic was not busy at all, should i be worried? or was it just the day i went?

If a current student reading this, will i make up the lack patients in the clinic somewhere else during hospitals rotation or residency? any input would be great.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
I have decided to attend scholl but i was wondering if anybody else who interviewed their (and esp have decided to go) had the same experience. The clinic was not busy at all, should i be worried? or was it just the day i went?

If a current student reading this, will i make up the lack patients in the clinic somewhere else during hospitals rotation or residency? any input would be great.
thanks

Hello I am a first year student... I can assure you that the clinic does get pretty busy and any experiences that you may not get in the clinic will WITHOUT A DOUBT be experienced in hospitals. No worries. Your main goal once you start is to make it through first year first then everything else will fall into place naturally. Best of luck to you, welcome to the family, and congratulations! Enjoy your FREE TIME while you have it! :)

I saw the same thing when I interviewed at Scholl. I was there on October 18th, when were you there? I only saw 1 patient in there when we visited the Clinic, there was a group of 20 students waiting in the other room for patients to show up. I asked if it was a big deal and they made it sound like that wasn't a normal thing to see. What made you decide on Scholl? I've been accepted but am still debating between some of the other programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

thanks

You are going to have that in any teaching clinic that you rotate through. You will eventually look forward to those days, because more months than not, you are going to get BEAT with patients. Don't base your decision on that one particular day in clinic. I promise you that you will see more than your fair share of patients wherever you end up.

I think it is generally accepted that some clinics are busier than others. New York, Philly, and Barry seem to have the busiest clinics. New York has the largest foot clinic in the world, seeing 25,000 patients a year. Plus the NY students rotate through other area hospitals. There are positives and negatives about each of the colleges.

I feel that applicants place too much attention on "how busy the clinic on campus is". You have to understand that the campus affiliated clinic will make up at most 1 or 2 rotations (ie. 2 months total or so) of your 4 year education. That clinic will be just one of many many sites you will rotate through (to say nothing of the clerkships/externships you will select at other cities). Additionally sometimes you might not even rotate through it at all depending on how your rotation selection lottery goes.

You should instead be looking at the total package of the hospitals/sites that you will rotate through 3rd/4th year. Are there strong core teaching hospitals in the region that students go to? Are there famous/talented podiatrists practicing at these sites that will be potentially teaching you?

I feel that applicants place too much attention on "how busy the clinic on campus is". You have to understand that the campus affiliated clinic will make up at most 1 or 2 rotations (ie. 2 months total or so) of your 4 year education. That clinic will be just one of many many sites you will rotate through (to say nothing of the clerkships/externships you will select at other cities). Additionally sometimes you might not even rotate through it at all depending on how your rotation selection lottery goes.

You should instead be looking at the total package of the hospitals/sites that you will rotate through 3rd/4th year. Are there strong core teaching hospitals in the region that students go to? Are there famous/talented podiatrists practicing at these sites that will be potentially teaching you?

Not sure where you have interviewed, but I know this is a wrong statement for a number of the schools, including DMU. On top of that, I think it is critical to spend time in your school clinic. These are the clinicians that you have developed relationships with in both class and clinic. They are the ones who are truly invested in your education, not some outside rotation that sees you for 1 month and that is it.

Not sure where you have interviewed, but I know this is a wrong statement for a number of the schools, including DMU. On top of that, I think it is critical to spend time in your school clinic. These are the clinicians that you have developed relationships with in both class and clinic. They are the ones who are truly invested in your education, not some outside rotation that sees you for 1 month and that is it.
I think that this may be a drawback of Arizona. We don't really have a school clinic. Yes, there is a clinic at the school, but I think at most only 1 or 2 students rotate through there. The students that I have talked to that rotated through there liked it for the most part, I think probably for the reasons that you said: You get to build relationships with professors that you see in class and in the clinic and they are ones really involved in your education. I personally didn't find it "critical" that I didn't spend time in a school clinic, but I would have liked it had I had the chance.

Well you definitely know a lot more than I do about DMU and the other east coast schools. But I think for Western and Arizona this isn't really the case, or at least it's not very emphasized. I think the emphasis of their clinical training is instead at local VA and county hospital sites (and that's where many of the big name faculty at each respective school works).

I find this post peculiar considering at this time during your first year you have had zero exposure to the Scholl clinic. How can you make such definitive statements? To the OP, first year students don't step foot inside the clinic until the Summer quarter at the end of their first year.

As a 2nd year student who is in the middle of their clinic training I can say that yes the clinic is usually not busy at all.

In total their might be 30-40 patients coming in each clinic day but what we do here is divide the day into two sessions. A morning session and an afternoon session. About 10 P2s and P3s are in the morning session and then 10 new P2 and P3 students come in during the afternoon hours to handle afternoon/evening patients. So yeah a decent amount of patients come to the clinic but with the amount of students in there I get to see about 1-2 patients on most clinic days. Which is obviously not a lot.

There are pros and cons to this. But personally I feel the pros far outweigh the cons. Definite cons are lack of patient exposure and chances to see a wide variety of different pathologies. That's obvious...

Being that the Scholl clinic is a teaching clinic you spend a lot of your time learning the ropes. The students job is to work up the patient (vitals, chief complaint, history, physical exam, etc) and then we present to the attending. This gives the student every opportunity to apply what he/she has learned in the student workshops. When presenting to the attending it's pretty certain you will be asked questions or "pimped" by the attending. The attendings are not out to get you, they do it because they are trying to TEACH you how to do things the right way and to start thinking like a clinician. For me personally it has been a very positive experience. If we were in a very busy clinic I think I would be too overwhelmed because I'm still trying to figure things out and plus I am only a second year student...still really don't know much yet.

There are going to be some changes in the near future though. Mt Sinai hospital is going to allow second year students to start coming to their clinic and shadow the attendings starting next year. They are doing this so students get an increased exposure to different pathologies. SCPM and Sinai are pretty tight and lot of their attendings teach the clinical courses here at Scholl.

To the OP, please disregard me previous statement as Ankle Breaker has summed it up! BUT ANKLE BREAKER... just know that I have heard from your classmates as well as some P3s that it has the capacity to get busy, especially in the winter time.

Anyway... If anyone has any questions about 1st year, feel free to PM me... Pending Ankle Breaker's approval of course! LOL! (Had to say something smart... sorry!)