Can You Answer These Questions About Your Dental School? (Part 2)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Double Bonded

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a great thread from 2007 where current and past dental students give insight into how their dental school operates. But no one posts in it anymore, most of the posts are outdated, and because pre-clinical and clinical requirements change, contributions from previous years may not be relevant now.

I was hoping to open a similar thread where dental students answer some simple questions about their school. I've taken most of the questions from the 2007 thread (written by Burton117) and added a few of my own, if you want me to add a question let me know.

Here's the link to the old thread: ***Official: Can you answer these questions about your dental school?***

Index:

AL: University of Alabama School of Dentistry at UAB
AZ: A.T. Still University of Health Sciences Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
AZ: Midwestern University School of Dental Medicine
CA: Loma Linda School of Dentistry
CA: University of California at Los Angeles School of Dentistry
CA: University of Southern California School of Dentistry
CA: University of California at San Francisco School of Dentistry
CA: University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry
CO: University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center
CT: University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine
DC: Howard University College of Dentistry
FL: LECOM School of Dental Medicine
FL: Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
FL: University of Florida College of Dentistry
GA: Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry part 2
IA: University of Iowa College of Dentistry
IL: Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine
IL: University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry
IN: Indiana University School of Dentistry
KY: University of Kentucky College of Dentistry
KY: University of Louisville School of Dentistry
KY: University of Louisville School of Dentistry (Post #2)
LA: Louisiana State University School of Dentistry
MA: Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine
MA: Harvard University School of Dental Medicine Can You Answer These Questions About Your Dental School? (Part 2)
MA: Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
MD: University of Maryland Baltimore College of Dental Surgery
ME:
MI: University of Michigan School of Dentistry
[URL='http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11831026&postcount=6']MI: University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry

MN: University of Minnesota School of Dentistry
MO: University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry part 2
MS: University of Mississippi School of Dentistry
NC: University of North Carolina School of Dentistry
NE: University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Dentistry
NE: Creighton University School of Dentistry
NJ: University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey New Jersey Dental School
NV: University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine
NY: State University of New York at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine
NY: Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
NY: New York University College of Dentistry
NY: State University of New York at Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine
OH: Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine
OH: Ohio State University College of Dentistry
OK: University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry
OR: Oregon Health and Science University School of Dentistry
PA: Temple University School of Dentistry
PA: University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
PA: University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine
PR: University of Puerto Rico School of Dentistry
SC: Medical University of South Carolina College of Dental Medicine
TN: University of Tennessee College of Dentistry
TN: Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry
TX: Baylor College of Dentistry Component of Texas A & M Health Science Center
TX: University of Texas Hlth Science Cnt-Houston Dental Branch
TX: University of Texas Hlth Science Cnt-San Antonio Dental School
UT: Roseman University
VA: Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry
WA: University of Washington-Health Sciences School of Dentistry
WI: Marquette University School of Dentistry
WV: West Virginia University School of Dentistry

International:
NSW: University of Sydney

Please answer the questions in the following format. Feel free to expand on your response and skip anything you don't want to answer.

1. Name of Your Dental School

2. Your Year (if you're not comfortable answering that, have you taken Part I of the NBDE?)

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

4. What is the hardest class? Why?

5. What is the easiest class? Why?

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks?

8. What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?

11. Is class attendance mandatory?

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

13. What is the drop out rate?

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling?

15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)?

16. When do you take the NDBE Part 1?

17. Does the school offer classes/review sessions to prepare for Part 1?

18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?

19. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

20. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?

21. Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?

22. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?

23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties?

24. Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?

25. What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?

26. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school?

27. What student organizations are most active?

28. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?

29. What do you not like about your dental school?

30. Any last words or advice?[/url]

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought I would go ahead and answer, even though I just graduated. Maybe someone can provide more recent information if anything has changed since May.

Please answer the questions in the following format. Feel free to expand on your response and skip anything you don't want to answer.

1. Name of Your Dental School: UTHSCSA

2. Your Year (if you're not comfortable answering that, have you taken Part I of the NBDE?) c/o 2011

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week? several every week

4. What is the hardest class? Why? Didactic - gross anatomy because it is so much material in a relatively short amount of time on top of other classes like biochemistry, histology, dental anatomy/occlusion, etc. Clinical - third year fixed prosthodontics because it is hard to find patients who will pay for the crown(s), hard to find patients who will fulfill requirements of competency exams (i.e. no re-do crowns, must be in occlusion, must have interproximal contact(s), need endo first that patients won't pay for, need crown lengthening, etc.) a lot of crowns in the dental school are re-do crowns making it hard to find good competency exams. It also seemed that patients weren't really evenly distributed-- some people would cut 15+ crowns junior year and others would barely get by with the minimum 6 crowns. It is also hard because there are certain deadlines you have to meet or you get penalized, regardless of your rotation schedule. For example, you could have most of your rotations in the fall semester, but you still have to do your first competency crown before Christmas break. And prior to doing that you have to cut two "daily work" crowns. And if you are not in clinic because you are on rotation, it makes it very difficult to cut crowns when you have to do phased treatment (do all fillings before you cut the crowns on a patient). If the lab messes up, you can get penalized. If you fail a competency exam crown you have to re-do it before you can start your next competency exam crown. If you fail a competency exam crown it may not even count toward your minimum requirements even if you cement it. Failing can be due to taking too much time (1 second overtime depending on faculty). Failing can be due to lab errors. Failing can be due to technical errors (not perfect, even though it may be clinically acceptable). They have been changing fixed pros requirements with the number of competency exam crowns and what not for third year, so I am not sure how accurate this still is. Third year fixed pros seems to be the most stressful and tends to be the most common reason students have to repeat third year. And then endo can be difficult both third and fourth year just trying to find patients to fulfill requirements-- patients that will pay for it and finding a case that doesn't need to be referred to grad endo.

5. What is the easiest class? Why? Didactic - probably any class in community dentistry because they are not very time-intensive as far as studying for the exams and the material is pretty straight-forward and a lot of common sense, but students under-estimate these classes, and inevitably there are students who make B's and C's. Clinical - probably complete dentures because there is an abundance of patients who need complete dentures due to a large diabetic population in San Antonio and it is also one of the procedure codes that most patients can get discounts on (elderly patients on a fixed income). So complete denture patients are pretty easy to find and fulfill requirements. You still have to know what you are doing, but it tends to be the easy, relaxed "requirement" because students don't have trouble finding these patients. The removable lab can stress you out a bit if the wax try-in does not go well. We don't have to set our own teeth unless the lab messes up, which is also a nice perk.

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors? Lecture powerpoints and course manuals

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks? Electronic. We didn't have a ton of required reading from textbooks, so in a way I thought it was a waste of money to renew our Vitalbooks license every year for $1000+. I did buy a few textbooks on my own that I still refer to on occasion, but I mostly felt like the Vitalbooks was a waste of money looking back on it. I mean it is nice not having to carry around textbooks, but when the exams come primarily from lecture powerpoints I don't even know why we have them.

8. What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages? Letter grades

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out? It depends on the class. Every class has its own personality. There will be gunners in every class and there will be students who are happy with just getting by. Some people share things and some people don't.

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available? No. Although we did have a few people in our class who regularly sent out notes and charts from some of the more difficult classes like general pathology and oral pathology.

11. Is class attendance mandatory? Depends on the class. Some yes. Others no.

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)? Depends on the teacher. I always thought professors in gross anatomy and histology were pretty approachable, but biochemistry was not at all. The professor is very approachable in general pathology and oral pathology. And in preclinic/clinic it just depends on the faculty. Endo faculty always seem to be really approachable. In removable, the grad pros residents are assigned to preclinic groups and some of them have been very helpful, and I have heard from classes behind me that some of them are very rude and arrogant. Some of the operative dentistry faculty are amazing and others leave a bit to be desired.

13. What is the drop out rate? Not sure. It seems that there is maybe 1 person every so often that decided dentistry isn't for them. There may be a few in each class who have to repeat 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year, although 3rd year seems to be the one more people repeat. Then there are a handful who get dismissed for academic, professional, or handskill development reasons.

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling? Not particularly. Before I started, the Dean's office used to pay for tutoring in gross anatomy, but that stopped my first year. There are students who volunteer to tutor and charge their own rates for group and individual instruction. The same goes for dental anatomy and for operative and fixed pre-clinic. I did some tutoring off and on for some of the second year students. It used to be the Dean's office provided for tutoring services, but due to more budget cuts every year they ended up cutting out the tutoring.

15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)? Darn near 100% but they never told us how many passed and how many didn't, but it's always above 95% from what I understand. The average score, although not available, I would imagine is somewhere around 85. There are always a handful who make 90+ and who make 75-79. So I would say mid-B average.

16. When do you take the NDBE Part 1? Summer after second year

17. Does the school offer classes/review sessions to prepare for Part 1? Not to my knowledge

18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes? My class did, in addition to doing some sort of summer rotation after second year. You have to take boards between the day after school gets out around May 14th or so and take it before you go back around July 4th. You could take as much or as little of this time to study. I heard that the students who took part 1 this year didn't have to do a summer rotation and had the entire time to study for boards.

19. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own? Depends. The library is huge and is shared among dental, medical, nursing, PT, PA, graduate students, etc. Some people study in the library, some in the student lounge, some in the sim labs, some in their clinic cubicles, and others at home. It just depends what works for you. The library has nice study rooms that you can reserve that have big flat screen monitors that you can hook up to histology slides or whatever else you want to study.

20. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in? Depends on the requirements and if people in your group share patients. Endo has been really hard to find across the board. Fixed is a crapshoot. Either you have them or you don't. RPDs can be hard to find because people don't have the finances after completing all necessary restorative work prior to starting the RPD (i.e. extractions, fillings, survey crowns). FPDs can be hard to find because people wants implants. I have heard from a few current fourth year students that they might be changing the requirements or having no requirements, but I am not sure if there is any truth to this.

21. Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs? Not a hassle at all. There are roughly 160 chairs for approximately 200 students. There always seems to be a chair because inevitably there are enough students on rotations that chairs open up. Student are assigned to general practice groups, 10-12 juniors and 10-12 seniors and have a separate hallway or bay of operatories. You will almost always stay in this same hallway, and if not, you are one bay over.

22. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult? We have separate junior and senior requirements. I have heard it has been changing, but for my class it was this:
Junior Year: minimum 6 crowns (most do 9-12) and some do 15-20, just depends on your patient pool; 4 arches of complete dentures, 1 case must be max/man on same patient; 1 arch RPD; 3 canals endo (1 simple and 1 complex case or 3 simple cases or whatever you can find) simple case = 1 canal, complex = 2+ canals); operative is done on a point system, you get so many points for certain restorations based on material used and # of surfaces, and I believe it was 1600 points to pass and maybe 2300 for an A but I'm not sure
Senior Year: All done on points-- 500 points removable (at least 1 case max/man complete denture and 1 arch RPD), 500 points operative (but you don't get as many points for restorations like third year), 750 points fixed pros (I think this comes out to 15 or so crowns, and you must do 1 FPD), 2 root canals (simple or complex), 1 competency exam crown, 1 competency exam FPD (this is usually the only FPD students do because it is hard to find patients who want them and are willing to pay), 3 operative competencies (Class 2 amalgam, Class 2 resin, Class 3 resin), out of the 500 removable points you must do 1 competency exam max/man denture and 1 competency exam RPD, most people do much more than 500 points removable because flippers count toward this requirement too, and on top of this you have 5600 points (I think)-- you get points for every procedure you do, but the requirements for each discipline (fixed, removable, endo, operative) will not fulfill the minimum point requirement of 5600 points, so you end up doing more of one thing or everything to meet the minimum 5600 points

23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties? Students can always explore specialties on their own, but we do get a decent amount of exposure to different specialties through our rotations-- pedo, oral surgery, perio, hospital, oral medicine, geriatrics, etc. Pedo and oral surgery-- students rotate through school and off-site clinics and provide treatment, perio-- students rotate through school clinic to assist and observe, hospital-- students rotate through University hospital and campus oral surgery suite and assist and observe implant placements, full mouth ext's, sedations in the suite, and in the hospital it just depends what is on the schedule for the day-- on my rotation I got to assist and observe 6th year residents in the OR on a bilateral mandibular fracture, rhinoplasty, genioplasty, cleft/palate, and an orthognathic case for a patient with Class 3 malocclusion. I also got to see an intubation of a patient. I had an awesome experience on hospital rotation. There are also various electives you can do-- mobile van, public health clinics, crown lengthening, implant placement (must apply for), etc.

24. Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer? I don't know that any school fully prepares you for practice management, but I have heard that San Antonio does a better job than most. We have a 4-year curriculum that focuses on different aspects on the business side of things, but it's still not enough in my opinion. As far as career placement opportunities, there are none to my knowledge. We have a job posting service online that dentists can post associate positions, partnership positions, or put a posting for selling their practice. Then it is your job to get in touch with them if you are interested.

25. What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years? Scrubs every day years 2-4. Scrubs required for gross anatomy and dental anatomy first year. Any solid scrubs as long as they match.

26. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school? Yes. Every class has their cliques and what not, but everyone seems to get along for the most part-- happy hours, parties, potlucks, birthday dinners, intramurals, etc.

27. What student organizations are most active? ASDA, HSDA (Hispanic Student Dental Association) Pediatric Dental Society, and ZIPS (dental fraternity)

28. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue? Housing is not an issue. You can find tons of apartments ranging from $500-$1000+ per month, within walking distance or not. There are homes for rent too. And there are some pretty good neighborhoods if you are looking to buy or if you have a family and want a house/yard.

29. Are you satisfied with your experience at your dental school so far? Are your peers? I was satisfied with my clinical training. I had wonderful faculty that I got to work alongside every day for two years. I feel that I was very prepared to start practicing on my own and I feel that my clinical skills are pretty darn good. I feel like I had ample exposure to enough cases that I feel comfortable doing most general dentistry procedures-- the only thing I wish I had more exposure to was molar endo.

30. If you had to do it over again, would you do anything differently when deciding which school to attend? Probably not-- every school has its good things and every school has its blemishes. You make the most of your experience. The one thing I would recommend though, if given a choice, go to the cheapest school. Talking to some of my classmates and other recent graduates from my school and other schoosl, the job market is tough, and starting salaries are not what they used to be, and school is getting more and more expensive. Fortunately, I am less than $200k in debt, but most graduates are not in this situation. Go to the cheapest school you can and take out the minimum amount you need, especially with the discontinuation of subsidized loans, you will be collecting more interest immediately.

31. Any last words or advice? Dental school is a grueling experience on everyone involved, but it can be fun too. Respect thy elders, keep your head up, work hard, and play the game. And when it get really difficult, just remember every day is one day closer to graduation. It will be over before you know it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
1. Name of Your Dental School: Nova Southeastern University

2. Your Year (if you're not comfortable answering that, have you taken Part I of the NBDE?) First year

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week? Several exams a week

4. What is the hardest class? Why? Histology or Anatomy. Tons of material in such a short span of time and many students have never taken these classes.

5. What is the easiest class? Why? Ethics and Biomaterials if those classes count. If not, Biochemistry is easier here than undergrad.

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors? Most classes are based on teacher notepacks and lecture notes. Textbooks are mostly supplemental.

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks? Our textbooks are all on vital source on our laptops. I prefer a paper textbook but I personally do not use textbooks very often.

8. What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages? Our class rank is based on percentages. A 70% is required to pass every class.

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out? For the most part everyone helps each other. People post class notes and reviews and the whole class has access to it. However, the class is very competitive as many students want to specialize (this is probably the case at any school)

11. Is class attendance mandatory? Class attendance is mandatory but you know what classes you can miss if you need to.

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)? Teachers are always approachable for questions and are very close with the student body.

13. What is the drop out rate? Our class is doing very well as a whole. If you fail a class or two you have to remediate but I am not very well informed on this subject.

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling? The school offers free tutors and as long as you talk to your classmates you will get all the help you need. In addition the fraternities put on alot of reviews for practicals and post study guides.

15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)? I know the second years had a 100% pass rate.

16. When do you take the NDBE Part 1? Boards are taken during the summer after our first year.

18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes? Yes after summer classes I believe we get 4-6 weeks off to study for boards.

19. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own? Personal preference. Alot of people study in the library and many people study at home as well.

20. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in? From what I hear most students do not have any problems meeting clinical requirements.

21. Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs? From what I've observed in the clinic it seems like there are plenty of chairs and as long as you are motivated to work and take on new patients there are plenty of opportunities.

22. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult? Don't know

23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties? Not well informed on this subject. However, many graduates from last year went on to specialty school.

24. Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?

25. What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years? Every class wears a different color scrub.

26. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school? As a whole the school is very sociable and we go out together all the time. However, the first year class is very studious and seem to be more focused on their academics at the moment.

27. What student organizations are most active? ASDA

28. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue? Best location in the country. 15 minutes from the beach. 10 minutes from hard rock. What else can you ask for ?

29. Are you satisfied with your experience at your dental school so far? Are your peers? All dental schools are the same. Youll get out whatever you put into it no matter what school you go to.

30. If you had to do it over again, would you do anything differently when deciding which school to attend?
No, go to the school in the best location for the best price with the best student body.

31. Any last words or advice? There is still enough time to change your major because dental school is a ton of work.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's a great thread from 2007 where current and past dental students give insight into how their dental school operates. But no one posts in it anymore, most of the posts are outdated, and because pre-clinical and clinical requirements change, contributions from previous years may not be relevant now.

I was hoping to open a similar thread where dental students answer some simple questions about their school. I've taken most of the questions from the 2007 thread (written by Burton117) and added a few of my own, if you want me to add a question let me know.
thanks for the thread revival!

1. Name of Your Dental School Indiana University School of Dentistry

2. Your Year (if you're not comfortable answering that, have you taken Part I of the NBDE?) D2. No Part 1

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week? Block schedule. First year, first semester we take an exam every 2 weeks that encompasses all our class (Biweeklies). First year second semester Biweeklies turn into Triweeklies. D2 - Triweeklies turn into an exam once a month. D3 and D4 is more random because of the time in clinics.

4. What is the hardest class? Why? Dependent on the student. Many say that Gnathology is the toughest class because of the extreme level of perfection they expect from you, others will claim that Oral Facial Biology is harderst (maybe because it has a huge amount of material). I think the most demanding is Fixed Partial Prosth (crowns, etc) because of the amount of lab time required to get to a level of perfection.

5. What is the easiest class? Why? An operatory class called Single Tooth Direct. The teachers are clinicians so they care about what is clinically acceptable and dont stress over theory. They understand this is our first time using handpieces and drilling so they work with us. The tests and quizzes are easy and too the point. We learn a lot but they make it easy.

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors? Lecture power points 100%. Every now and then we are required to read one part of one chapter or something small...

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks? Both. I prefer traditional but no one but a few students buy the books.

8. What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages? Letter grades, GPA, class ranked.

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out? Everybody helps out. Personally, I send make and send out outlines and study guides for every lecture, other people make crib sheets for pathology or nice comparison tables for dental materials and send them out. People always help each other in lab. There area few closed off gunners but for the great majority of students, we care more about becoming good dentists than number 1 in the class.

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available? Each class usually hires a transcriptionist or 'verbatimist' and they take the audio and ppts and convert the audio to text (verbatim). These verbatims are amazing. Most classes have their students do the verbatims and get paid pretty handsomely (60$ a lecture minute).

11. Is class attendance mandatory? Yes. But not for long. We are instituting a mandatory podcast system which records the professors, the ppt, and the audio. At this point, class attendance wont be school wide mandatory but dependent on the professor's syllabus

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)? Very very approachable.

13. What is the drop out rate? <2 students a year. Maybe... Our class is the first class in 15 years to not lose anyone :D

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling? Yes... I couldn't specify but I know whatever they are, that they are available

15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)? 85%. Average score: hopefully "Pass"

16. When do you take the NDBE Part 1? Available to take them December of D2. About half the class takes them in Dec/Jan, the other half the summer before D3 officially starts

17. Does the school offer classes/review sessions to prepare for Part 1? No

18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes? No

19. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own? There is a small group of us that studies in the Dental School library. Some in the quiet individual rooms or some in the main library part. Other people use the very beautiful Law school library or Med school library. Some study at home...

20. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in? I have not heard of any D4s struggling for patients. Indy has a nice and strong pt population

21. Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs? Yes, enough chairs, easy to get pts in

22. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult? I don't know

23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties? Rotations in each specialty.

24. Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer? No. The new dean started teaching classes to 4th years on practice management. we work closely with the IDA for some job placement

25. What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years? Scrubs can be worn by all the years. Business casual is expected if not in scrubs. But this policy is not enforced until your are in clinics

26. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school? We are all friends :love:

27. What student organizations are most active? There are quite a lot: ASDA, the Student Outreach Clinic, SPEA (student professional ethics association), Delta Sigma Delta, etc

28. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue? Amazing. Great place and easily accesable for pts (bc of the proximity of 4 downtown hospitals and good public transpo), beautiful housing on the canal, or only a 30 minute drive from suburbia (outside the loop) to the dental school. Also near Butler.

29. Are you satisfied with your experience at your dental school so far? Are your peers? Yes and Yes

30. If you had to do it over again, would you do anything differently when deciding which school to attend? No way.

31. Any last words or advice? Go to the cheapest school available. Debt sucks.

University of Detroit Mercy

2. Your Year (if you're not comfortable answering that, have you taken Part I of the NBDE?)
DS1

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?
Not sure what "block schedule" is like but.... its very similar to undergrad. You cover material for 4-5 weeks then you have one big exam. Only major difference is, we are taking 10 classes in the same time, so we have ALOT of quizzes (almost 1 quiz after every 1-2 lectures). Its how professors force you to study so you don't choke out when midterms arrive.

Oh, most of our finals are cumulative (at least it is for DS1... dunno about DS2)

In my school, it depends on what style student you are. For me personally, I SUCK at anything anatomy related (gross anatomy, dental anatomy, histology, etc). However, most students don't struggle with those, instead, they struggle with things like biochem (which I normally ace).

Every student is different.

Read #4 above

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?
100% class notes and lectures. Textbooks are worthless. If I need something explained, wikidpedia is my friend

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks?
Can't answer, I don't read textbooks (TOOOOOO time consuming)

Similar to undergrad:
94-100 = A
90-93 = A-
87-89.99 = B+
etc
The class rank is based only on your GPA (not how high you rank in each individual class)

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?
No, even the gunners help everyone else. Cause the gunners know, they will always out-rank everyone else whether they help you or not (yes they are that talented).

Most lectures (especially hard sciences) the lectures are recorded (along with visual) and posted online

yes. Big time yes (something I hate about my school)

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?
Just a DS1 here (first term) and professors seem nice "enough" so far. If your gonna ask stupid questions, your gonna get attitudy answers (which is typical of ALL professors). If you ask good intellegent questions, you'll get a good meaningful discussion

Almost zero (but Im not sure of the actual percentage).... Detroit will do everything in its power to keep students in

Your classmates are your #1 resource. There are always 20% smart students in class, you can easily form study groups with them and learn with/from them.

A 2nd method are the free tuitors the school offers, but I heard they aren't too helpful cause.... I dunno why.... I never use this service

15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)?
Most dental schools in the U.S have a 95%+ passing rate...... I don't see detroit mercy be any different. I think last year, they had 6 people fail, but the year before, they had 100% pass rate so... it varies from year to year.

About 16 months after orientation week (basically, before DS2 semester #3 begins).... So for me, the earliest I can take it is first week of January of 2013 (my orientation was August 2011)

Yes for about 4 weeks long (once a week I think?) but.... everyone says its useless.

18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?

Your X-mass break (which is like 3 weeks).... So short answer, no not really, but 3 weeks worth of 10 hours a day should get you to pass.

19. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?
About half of my class studies in the school, but not in library. They go in the 4th flour (which is like a GIANT apartment, its got an internal gem, and bunch of study-group rooms with boards and whatnot.).... 4th floor is HUGE, its got ping-pong rooms, study rooms, eating lounge, group rooms, etc.

20. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?
Its downtown Detroit.... you shouldn't have trouble with patients. Plus, the schools actually assigns you patients, so you don't have to worry about it.

21. Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?
I don't know the details, but DS3s and DS4s are split up into days into the clinic. So say, today is Tuesday, half of the class will be in DS3, and each will have their own chair for that day.... Again, I am not 100% sure about this (im 2 years away) but... from what I know, there are no trouble getting chairs

22. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?
Don't know

23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties?
Don't know

Practice management? This is more common sense, no school, or graduate program, or 10 Business PhD degrees can teach you how to run a private practice. This is a learn-it-as-you-go trait.

Career placement opportunites? Don't know

Scrubs or professional dress code (either works) for first 2 years.
I think DS3 and DS4 (especially if your in clinic) they expect you to have scrubs.

26. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school?
Oh yeh ofc, dental school is like high school for 20-mid-20s people. Its all groups, clicks, facebook bar nights, and group-cramming before exams lol.

But everyone is nice to each other, if your not in a group, it doesn't mean theyr gonna be mean to you.

Oh gawd, they have an organization for everything... I am not involved with any, so....

28. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?
Well, the campus is safe (public safety sitting in the parking lot till the last car drives out). But its not a place for you to go out for a run lol (it is detroit)

29. Are you satisfied with your experience at your dental school so far? Are your peers?
I love DS so far, this is the best time of my Dental career. I think my peers seem pretty happy too.

30. If you had to do it over again, would you do anything differently when deciding which school to attend?
Nope... I'd still pick Detroit

31. Any last words or advice?
I know its too early to decide, but you should have an idea if you want to specialize or not. If you do, you have to work about 3x harder than if you just want to pass (seriously)....

Link the old post & make links to each school/post (like the old post)!

USC’s is a bit outdated and it came from the 2007 class which had a dismally low graduation late so I thought I would chime in and give an update as things have changed quite a bit here.
USC

Year 1
One set of mid terms and one set of finals. Examination schedule is less exams but they are worth more. Lab practicals are very stressful though.
I have heard that post fixed and fixed removable are the hardest and I believe it. The teacher is a maniac!
Probably PBL in general. Very easy to do well if you are social.
textbooks and information researched online or with the library resources.
You can use either. The electronic textbooks are free. Real books are better but they are expensive
Grades but the system here is very confusing. I don’t like it
Some gunners but not as bad as other schools. A lot of fun to be had here and everyone helps each other out. You have to as there just isn’t enough attention from faculty.
Not too many lectures. You can take your notes in the few that we have
Yes
Approachable but there aren’t enough faculty for students. The only time you get to interact with a lot of them are in PBL.
Very low. People here have too much debt to drop out
Yes. The school tries to prevent you from failing. A lot of money is at stake for them
Very high board pass rate, especially for a school that emphasizes hand skills and not academics.(in the 90% range) No scores anymore for boards so not a big deal there.
After 2nd year
Some material mostly organized by students.
I think 2 weeks. PBL in general gives you lots of time to do what you want.
People study everywhere
I hear this can be a problem from some people and others say they have too many patients. Getting patients doesn’t seem to be a problem if you are reasonably motivated.
I wish we had our own chairs.
Too many requirements. You have to work your ass off.
So many opportunities here, just not enough time.
We have a good alumni network in some areas of the West Coast.
Scrubs or business casual
Lots of camaraderie here. Probably the most fun out of any dental school. Seriously you won’t believe me until you get here.
Delta Sigma Delta, Psi Omega, lotta clubs for different types of people.
I like the location. Housing is expensive for what you get. USC area sucks for families though.
29. Are you satisfied with your experience at your dental school so far? Are your peers?
So far. Way too expensive though (and I am on scholarship)
Go to your state school if you get in. If you’re from California like me though they are all the same in price.
All dental schools have a good and bad side. The problem with USC is the price. This is a problem with education all over the country.

Reactions: 1 user

1. Name of Your Dental School Temple University Kornberg School of Dentistry

2. Your Year (if you're not comfortable answering that, have you taken Part I of the NBDE?) c/o 2015

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week? We usually have quizzes every week, followed by exams spread out.

4. What is the hardest class? Why? So far, I would say there is no clear difficult class. If i had to pick, it would prob be Histology due to the 6 quizes ( woth 10% each), and the material on some of those quizzes is equivalent to what would be on a normal exam). But, the Professor is helpful, and just added a Extra 7th quiz, and will take the top 6 quizzes ( example of Professors trying to help the class out).

5. What is the easiest class? Why? Behavior Science, involves minimal effort.

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors? Mainly powerpoints.

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks? Paper text

Grading: A,B,C ,etc. We do NOT have + or -'s. For most classes, 70% or above is passing( 70-79 is a C)

So far, the class is pretty helpful. I believe many are trying to do GP rather than specialize. you will always have those that want to specialize ofcourse, but even they help out here and there.

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available? No, but we have video recorded lectures. These are lifesavers for those who were "sick" and missed class ( to the classes that dont have mandatory attendance, which are a good amount of classes, lets hope it stays that way).

11. Is class attendance mandatory? NO, for the most part. For example ( histology offers pop quizes for EXTRA CREDIT. you have the potential to get upto 5 points added to your total avg...which means you better make it to every histo class).

They are approachable. We have a "class representative". Most students email the class rep, who will compile all the complaints or questions students have and then send it to the Professor.

13. What is the drop out rate? idk, very low if anything.

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling? not sure. I know the faculty will monitor you in the beg, make sure everyone is doing fine. If there are any issues, they will try to intervene and help you figure out what is wrong and try to fix the issue. The professors are always available to help any students who are struggling. You really get the feeling that they care

15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)? Not sure.

16. When do you take the NDBE Part 1? After 2nd year

17. Does the school offer classes/review sessions to prepare for Part 1? Not sure.

18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes? I believe we get 2 weeks off to study.

You may study at the dental school, but I believe most students study in the Medical School library which is about 2-3 blocks away from the dental school on the main street ( broad street). It is convenient cause the Med school library is located RIGHT next to a main parking structure that many dental students park at.

Easiest question: patients are more than available, this is what TEMPLE is known for..its clinical education.

21. Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs? Not sure, but I do know that we are renovating our clinics.

22. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult? Not sure.

23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties? Any student at any school has many of these opportunities. I know our ortho department has 6 spots in their ortho program( 600 students apply). I also believe that 3 of the 6 are temple graduates ( from the information I received from my interview).

24. Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer? Not sure

Ceil Blue Scrubs for every student ( 1st years, 2nd years, etc).

I believe the student body is active outside of the classroom. There are various social gatherings that happen a bout once a month or so. The 2nd years had a Halloween party that some 1st years went to. 2nd years also held a cocktail party last summer on a ship, it sounded like it was a great time. The 1st years had several open bar specials in the city(philly) and recently had a Bowling party where more than half the class showed up and had a blast ( from what I hear).

27. What student organizations are most active? ASDA

Location is not the best, but its also not as bad as I thought it would be. If you stay on broad street ( which is what most students do), then you will be fine. Broad street has everything you need, food during lunch, parking, etc. If you are out at 1am about 5-6 blocks away from broad street, then you might be in trouble.
Housing is very easy, there are many options. For 1st years, some will live in center city ( city of philly, 10-15 min from school through subway), others will live in Manayunk ( suburb of philly ,about 10-15 min away from the school), and others will live in Roxborough ( about 20-25 min away from the school). All of these areas are very safe. I know some students that pay about $450-500/person/month ( including utilities) - those that pay about $700/ month including utilities on average. That range is for Manayunk and Roxborough( also a suburb). If you decide to live in the city, it will increase up to about $800-1300/ month ( these are rough figures).

29. Do you have any criticisms about your dental school?
Price is a bit high, but relative to private dental schools in the area, its pretty reasonable.
For the total tuition plus living costs for 4 years ( OOS), ADEA guide of 2011:
Temple: 305K
NYU: 402K
Tufts: 360K
Boston: 350K
UPENN: 366K
UPITT: 307K

Maryland: 360K

Not at all, I am VERY happy at Temple. My classmates are great, Professors are helpful, and I feel that I am getting a great education.

Speak to as many students at each school before you decide where you want to go. Getting their experience is crucial to deciding where you want to attend. Cost of attendance is also very important. I personally believe video recorded lectures are very important, they allow you to review materials you might have missed during the lecture, or go over a lecture you might have missed. Also, The fact class attendance is NOT mandatory(so far) is a life saver for some. If you are an individual who enjoys learning through the video recording lecture versus going to class some days, you have that luxury. For example, some students dont attend Biochemistry on MWF mornings(unless there is a quiz), but come in later for another class. If you are one who needs to go to class everyday, you also have the luxury of re-watching the classes online.
Make sure you ask students that attend the school about anything you might be concerned about or want to know more about. Everyone has different preferences, chose a school that meets most of yours. Good luck everyone.

EDIT: Wow awesome contributions so far!

Here's the link to the old thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=401980

Temple Dental

Last edited:
How about UPenn??? The last UPenn survey was filled out in 2007, and while it was very informative, I was hoping to hear some feedback from a current student. I'm trying to decide whether to attend Maryland or Penn, and I think this would really help me to compare. Thanks in advance!! :D

1. Name of Your Dental School Louisville

2. Your Year (if you're not comfortable answering that, have you taken Part I of the NBDE?) 2nd haven't take part 1 yet

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?Finals week, with test spread out through the semester. Each class has their own timeline

4. What is the hardest class? Why? Pathology and Oral Path, the teachers teach way beyond the scope of the boards. Most people have no problem with the board just because the class so difficult. General path is all second year and Oral Path is one semester Jr. year.

5. What is the easiest class? Why?We have several 1 credit classes each year that a pretty easy.

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?For the major classes, (especially first year) notes are pretty much printed off for you and given to you at the start of the semester. Some come loose leaf and others are bound. If notes are not given to you power points are made available for most classes. T

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks? Text books aren't really used, the notes provided take enough time as it is to get through. There is however a "required" book list and the reason it is "required" is because those on the military scholarships wont get reimbursed for the books if they are not "required" by the school.

The classes taught by med school faculty have a +/- system and some have Honors. For all the classes taught by the dental school it is straight up A,B,C, or F with very few classes offering a passing grade of a "D". The percentages for each letter grade varies on the class.

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?There are those that would like the specialize for sure and most of them are know be the class early on but no sabotaging goes on. If anything they pull more of the weight for the class.

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?The basic science classes taught by the med school faculty are video audio recorded with a program called tegerity.

11. Is class attendance mandatory?Yes :laugh:

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)? Most of the them are some of them, Path cough cough aren't so approachable

13. What is the drop out rate?Depends on the class form year to year we had 6 or 7 drop out or stay back a year while the class above us had less

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling? There is tutoring available although i don't know anyone that uses it

15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)?i think low 90's for pass rate, i think...

16. When do you take the NDBE Part 1? after second year

17. Does the school offer classes/review sessions to prepare for Part 1?no classes but some time off either in the form of half days while in the clinic or a block of 1-3 weeks off depending on the year

18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?See above question

19. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?A lot use the library but it caters to the med school and has weird hours. Closes early and opens late except when the medical school is having exam week for their block testing.

20. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?Patients are all over the place, it is like a 4-5 month wait to be seen at UofL but the better question is if the patients have what you need for requirements.

21. Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?Yes we have enough chairs, maybe not enough clinic time but enough chairs.

22. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?numbers change from year to year and a more competency based program might be getting started.

23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties?We have all the major specialties. Most all of them are willing to let you up in their clinic. Some like endo have DMD chairs available to use in their residency office.

25. What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?Blue scrubs provided for all 4 years

27. What student organizations are most active?LASADA

30. Any last words or advice?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Louisville School of Dentistry

Senior

Several every week (This may have changed)

Oral path, because the amount of information to study is insane

Dean's hour?

Most are based on lecture/powerpoints

Paper textbooks are used sometimes, but I never buy any textbooks. Google is my friend

Letter grades

Everybody tries to help everybody out, I love my class

No, but some people do email out their notes sometimes

It depends on what class

Again, it depends on the teacher

4/85 for our class

There are tutor services available

I have no clue

Took it a year ago

Not for part 1, but we have review sessions for part 2

For part 1 - yes, part 2 - no

It depends, I barely study in the library though

I feel that there are enough patients, but it really depends on how motivated/on top of things you are. You get what you put into it. There is a bit of luck involved as well

Yes

14 fixed unit
1 passed competency fixed unit
4 unit of complete denture
1 unit of CD/natural or CD/RPD
3 unit of RPD (CD/RPD may count as 1)
8 passed operative competencies (1 class 1, 1, class 5, 3 class 2, 3 class 3)
4 passed initial perio exam competencies
5 passed SRP competencies
5 passed OHI competencoes
2 passed perio re-eval competencies
2 perio completed cases
6 perio surgical assists
1 pedo nitrous oxide competency
2 pedo class 2 alloy competencies
2 pedo pulpotomy competencies
2 pedo SSC competencies
2 pedo treatment planning competencies
7 passed treatment planning competencies (4 junior, 3 senior)
2 medical consultations competencies
5 ortho consults
4 endo case experiences
1 endo single canal competency
1 endo multi canal competency

No requirements for oral surgery, but we all extract tons of teeth (both simple and surgical)

There might be more but those are the ones I can think of on top of my head

You can go assist and shadow in the specialty clinics anytime

Yes, it's a year long course

Scrubs for 4 years. You can dress up if you want to though

Yes

LASDA?

It's not the best location. Safety can be an issue especially for females leaving school late at night

Some faculties are straight up a-holes (but I assume that's the same with every school)

30. Any last words or advice?
If you try hard, you will succeed

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Dental works,

Any advice for people that are applying to UDM this cycle? Any interview tips?

Could we get someone to post about MWU-AZ? :thumbup:

How about UPenn??? The last UPenn survey was filled out in 2007, and while it was very informative, I was hoping to hear some feedback from a current student. I'm trying to decide whether to attend Maryland or Penn, and I think this would really help me to compare. Thanks in advance!! :D

If you guys want posts for specific schools, try PMing people who go there.

MWU-AZ

1st

We have one course that encompasses all of our sciences. It’s called Basic Science. Usually you have 15-16 fifty-minute lectures a week, and are tested every Tuesday on the previous week’s material. Basic is supplemented with 2-3 Dental classes and those have their own quizzes. But the sizable majority of the studying you’ll do your first year is for Basic.

Basic is tough but doable. It’s pretty heavy but they try to make it digestible. Since all of the lectures are systems based, you’re drawing parallels between all of the material.

Dr. Rolf.

All the classes provide you with powerpoints that will be lectured upon, and all of the testable material will be found on these powerpoints.

We have electronic tooth atlases, and the only textbook I’ve used so far is an Atlas for Anatomy.

Letter Grades

Super chill class

Notes are provided to you. Lecture goes into more depth but the test questions are culled from the notes.

No
Very approachable. We have an open door policy, so you can walk into a professor’s room at any time - no appointment necessary. I’ve never done this but I know people do. Teacher’s routinely end their lectures reminding you to call or see them if you have any questions.

IDK probably 0?

Yes

High pass rate, don’t know average score

Summer after first year

Basic is taught with Part 1 in mind. Professors alert you in their lectures if they’ve seen material on old NBDEs or review banks.

We have three months of summer after our first year, and we schedule the boards at our own convenience.

It’s not a 24/7 library but it’s open till 12. I’d wager 1/3 of the class studies there regularly.

I don’t know yet

I do know that we have 8 chairs per student if you consider that we do paired dentistry here. (3rd years work with 4th years, the idea being 1 + 1 = 4)

I don’t know yet

Heavy clinic work, specialty clubs

I can’t comment here

Scrubs, all 4 years. Each class has their own color. Buy 5 pairs online.

Yes

ASDA and student government. We have social events pretty often too.

Glendale is like super suburbia. You have loads of space everywhere around you. Really cheap housing and cost of living. Housing and safety are definitely not problems. Social life is meh in the surround blocks but PHX and Scottsdale are only 30 minutes away. There are some perks to being in suburbia, too. Our local bar sends a bus out to pick us up and drop us off every time we go out. :thumbup:

Tuition costs so much!

IF you choose here, you will pay a lot, but you’ll get awesome faculty, state-of-the-art technology, and awesome classmates. With the cost of living, it’s on par with a lot of private schools. And it's definitely a good decision to come here if you’re choosing between schools with similar finances.

Requesting someone from UMDNJ

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

University of TN

no

par tests. so you have all of your exams on one test every 3 weeks. i like it

gross anatomy, pharmacology. Lots of info in a short amount of time.

I cant say there are any easy classes in d school but thats just me.

powerpoints

no one buys the textbooks hardly

letter grades. they give pluses and minuses

my class theres no sabatoge. the D3's have a dude Ive heard who has changed up answers on study guides, but thats hearsay.

we have a few chicks in class who do it for the entire class. Ive never used them.

yes. though you know the ones you can miss. most ppl dont miss a class

the teachers are very available and friendly

we lose 1-3 per year due to personal problems and straight flunking.

UT prides itself on offering tons of help to students. I myself went through a major personal crisis during final examinations and was seen by a physician immediately and helped immensely. Gross anatomy tutors you on saturdays for free in the lab.

we are above a 95% pass rate
between semesters of your second year.

i dont know

you get all of xmas break and i believe a week or two in january. ive heard you only need 3 weeks to study and pass the boards.

the majority study on their own. I personally use the library as we have excellent facilities (you can have your own room with dry erase boards and large windows. No signing up, and I can count on my one hand how many times its been full and I couldnt be accommodated).

Ive heard that the only ppl who dont fulfill their requirements are either unlucky, or didnt hang around the clinic enough. Our demographic supports a large patient pool. The largest problem is finding ones who will pay.

Ive asked around and heard its not.

IDK. Its more than other schools I hear. We have a very strong clinical program here by all accounts.

Ive done some poking around the specialty clinics and all seem very welcoming. Oral surgery has even said I could come to the grand rounds every week. Ortho has said Im welcome anytime to come shadow and assist.

None. But thats not a problem. Small businesss management should be learned on your own time, the resources are everywhere.

scrubs for all four years.

yes and yes. its very much like high school in this regard.

i wish i had time to join one

its in downtown memphis with a large police dept. probably the safest place in the city. plenty of housing with a low cost of living.

well first off i think its a fantastic place. I had my doubts about attending a state school but after being here for a semester my doubts have been calmed. The curriculum is tough, the teachers are available, intelligent, and you cant help but respect them.

The only thing I dont like about it is there are a few teachers you cant help but wonder how they got a job here. One repeatedly refers to teeth as teef (we in memphis yall!), and another one who just graduated a few years ago walks around without a clue of what is going on...and refers all questions to another instructor. I remember she gave one lecture and started talking like queen latifah, really fast like you see those girls do in those ghetto videos (uh huh so i said to shaniqua her babys daddy shouldnt be hittin her cuz momma didnt raise no fool honey child uh huh) and half the class just hung their head in embarrassment. Another resident that helps in lab talks to you like you are 12 and is severely condescending and obviously grew up without manners. However in one semester Ive only encountered a few so I think its a good track record. I was accepted into 6 schools and I would pick UT again.

Another pet peeve was in a certain department. The slides would frequently be missing a sizeable portion, and be all out of order. I found it hard to believe this was their job and they didnt have their **** in order. This may seem like a silly concern to you now, but once youre in and you have 67000 things to do everyday, hunting for class material is the last thing you want to do.

The shining moment here was when the DNA professor told the class he didnt know the answer to a question, as opposed to faking it. This was a welcome breath of fresh air and I was glad to be in his class.

Oh, memphis sucks. But you wont be going out much anyways. Dental school is hard fml. Though we do have a few ballers this is easy for Im sure. I am not one of them (completely average on all exams).

Go to the cheapest school. Socialize alot in your first month or two while the load is easy because your free time quickly dries up. Study every day after school, prestudy lectures, stay an extra hour after lab, dont fall behind, and keep a sunny attitude. The first two years are didactilly rough but your third and fourth is primarily clinic, so two years in the grand scheme isnt that big of a deal. Make sure you have a passion to work in peoples mouths and didnt come for the money. The fat chick we have in class who came for money is severely unhappy Ive heard. There are easier ways to make a buck if youre smart enough to gain acceptance.

I'm sorry but the above post and review on UT is hilarious! Thanks for the review (even though I'm not going there). It made my day.

This won't be much help but NYUCD isn't up there so I might as well give this a shot!

1. Name of Your Dental School - NYU College of Dentistry

2. Your Year (if you're not comfortable answering that, have you taken Part I of the NBDE?) D1

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week? Similar to college, maybe 2 tests and a final for one class, 3 tests and final for another, one midterm and one final, it depends.

4. What is the hardest class? Why? Obviously I haven't taken a lot since I've only been here a semester, but Head and Neck Anatomy was challenging just because of the volume of material

5. What is the easiest class? Why? Epidemiology..doesn't really need an explanation, it was just incredibly straight forward.

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors? Lecture powerpoints.

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks? Electronic. I don't really have a preference since you really only need the lecture material. It is extremely, extremely useful for searching though. If you need to find out something specific you can search almost 100 textbooks at the click of a button. Certainly beats an index.

8. What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages? %s converted to grades. Obviously they don't matter unless you want to specialize, but we do receive them.

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out? NOT AT ALL. Our facebook group is filled with people sharing notes, links, old quizzes, etc. I was shocked at this - I did not experience this at ALL in undergrad. Everyone really makes an effort to share anything they have that helps them learn. Its one of my favorite things about this school.

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available? Another of my absolute favorite things about NYUCD - 100% of our lectures are VIDEO recorded and put on iTunesU the day that they're presented. Some people don't attend lecture at all, they just watch them all at home on their own time.

11. Is class attendance mandatory? Mostly no. A few lectures here and there are but generally they treat us as adults and allow us to make our own decisions.

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)? As you would think in NYC, we have some of the most interesting faculty members and I can honestly say I feel very comfortable communicating with pretty much any of our instructors.

13. What is the drop out rate? No clue.

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling? The usual - tutoring and LOTS of extra lab help. Many student groups put on tutorials and practice sessions. Older students help out in the labs as TAs and there is usually (during normal hours) faculty in any lab during free time to help you out.

15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)? 2 years ago was 100%. This year it was 99. something (1 person failed). For the biggest class in the country, that's pretty outstanding if you ask me.

16. When do you take the NDBE Part 1? July after D2 I believe.

17. Does the school offer classes/review sessions to prepare for Part 1? They integrate it pretty much since the second we walked in. The students don't seem overly stressed about the boards and the passing rate for NYUCD is phenomenal so it definitely works. I believe there is a lot of review for D2 students though.

18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes? Not as long as some schools I don't think, but I'm not sure. This is why an older student at NYUCD should fill this out!

19. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own? Mix. During normal weeks people study at home but around big exams people study in the libraries. We have a dental library but people also use the undergrad library and the med school library.

20. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in? LOTS OF PATIENTS. It's New York :)

21. Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs? Not sure. Just a D1 :(

22. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult? D1, no idea :(

23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties? Not sure because I'm only a D1, but we have every specialty. Some D1 students shadow/do rounds in the specialty clinics that they're interested in though.

24. Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer? Again, this is a D3/D4 question :(

25. What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years? Just for lab you can either wear scrubs or 'business casual' except it's pretty relaxed on the BC. Basically, just no jeans/t-shirts/looking grungy. They probably enforce it more when you're seeing patients though.

26. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school? YES. I love how close my class is. And also EXTREMELY fun I must say. We have a ton of social events and people really get into them. We have beer pong tournaments between classes, class keggers, happy hours after huge tests, and LOTS of outings to do things in this amazing city!

27. What student organizations are most active? There is literally a student group for everything for a class this big. I would say ASDA is the most active though.

28. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue? New York City. Greatest city on earth, enough said.

29. What do you not like about your dental school? Cost. Whatever, money isn't everything which is often the vibe on this website. I'd rather look back at these 4 years when I'm 50 and smile than just go somewhere for the tuition. I turned down Buffalo for this and I don't regret it one bit.

30. Any last words or advice? Don't stress too much!

Reactions: 7 users

Loma Linda University School of Dentistry

D1

Midterms and Finals only

Anatomy-we do a combination of embryo, histo, gross, head/neck gross, and neuro-it's just a TON of information, as others have already stated

Probably our ethics/religion classes

About 95% powerpoints

Certain texts are recommended for classes, but there isn't any need to purchase them unless you enjoy reading that sort of stuff in your own time

Some P/F, mostly these are intro courses...for the majority of classes they give letter grades

Generally everyone works together and it functions pretty nice, although I'm sure we had some rotten apples somewhere in the pile, but I have yet to notice it.

We have a tech rep that records all the lectures and labs, which is quite helpful at times

Technically, yes...but sometimes our restorative labs are so crowded we choose to just come in on our own time because what would take 3 hours with everyone in the lab (crowding sinks, model trimmers. etc..will take about 30 minutes if you come in on your own time when no one is there.

All of my professors thus far have been more than helpful, they all try really hard to help us as much as possible

We had one student to drop at the beginning due to personal issues, but so far we have kept the herd intact for the most part

Yes, but there isn't much people can do...everyone wants to help but outside of advice on how to study...there's not much one can offer. The biggest adjustment for me in dental school has BY FAR been learning HOW to study efficiently. If you don't know your study style before you start, you better find out now, once that fire hydrant starts gushing, it's hard to find your way if you start out lost

This is one thing I'm not too sure about, but I think our pass rate for Part II is much higher than Part I (not that part I is low). Our school thrives on a top-notch clinical program and they put us through the wringer in the clinic...so by the time we take Part II, we are pretty much ready. I think the general consensus is we have an annual pass rate of ~98% for Part 2 and ~95% for Part I

After the D2 summer qtr

Yes, we take a class for a full qtr on reviewing for Part I

We get ~ 3-4 weeks to study for Part I boards

Lots of people study in the library in groups. It's pretty interesting to see how quickly people find their niche...everyone has a different style of learning so its' key to find which yours' is

From what I hear, we have patients on a six month+ waiting list. Our problem is more of affordability and finding someone who needs exactly what your reqs for graduation demand

Not sure

Not sure exactly, I know we have a LOT though...a lot of the current D4s are thinking they may have to stay an extra qtr to fulfill their grad requirements:eek:

I guess a lot, we have all the specialties at our school and they all seem to work well in coordination with one another

In my opinion, no. Schools should make this an emphasis, because as much as students are paying to get educated, they need to be able to thrive in the "real world"

For men-slacks and dress shirt with a tie OR Navy/Ciel scrubs
For ladies-professional skirts OR scrubs

I think so, I'm married so I don't really get the chance to "hang out" with people outside of school. But from what I can tell, we all tend to get along very well.

We have lots-ADA, ASDA, CDA, etc...

Housing is a nice surprise, rent in this part of CA is comparatively cheap when you see how much rent is in other parts of the state. LL is definitely a safe town in my opinion

My main complaint is that the people who make our schedules have not gone through dental school, therefore, they don't know what's doable and what's not. For example, we have midterms this week and they piled lots of other non-necessary required class attendance on us, limiting our study time. Also, we have a couple of professors who go out of their way to trick people on exams, but I guess that's to be expected in professional school...but overall I am very happy I chose LLUSD and wouldn't want to go to any other dental school.

Again, learn how to study before you get here! You will be astonished how fast information will pile up on you. When you only have midterms/finals...it's very easy to slack off because you're not accountable. It's up to you to hold yourself accountable and put in the required amount of study time you need each night, it differs for everyone. I study ~4 hours per day and when midterms/finals come it doubles starting two weeks out. Also, try to keep your expectations of yourself realistic...don't be upset if you get a B, you will be attending classes with some of the most brilliant people you'll ever meet. Good luck!!!

The poster above hit it right on the head with his closing comments - dental school is designed for the top of the class. 95% of you are about to get a large serviing of humble pie, and will be ECSTATIC to get a B. a B+ is a cause for celebration, and an A? EVERYONES GETTING LAID.

The poster above hit it right on the head with his closing comments - dental school is designed for the top of the class. 95% of you are about to get a large serviing of humble pie, and will be ECSTATIC to get a B. a B+ is a cause for celebration, and an A? EVERYONES GETTING LAID.

Not at Loma Linda

Lol nice! No seriously, I always thought people were stretching how hard d school was until my first day. I wake up at night in cold sweats and have nightmares about only knowing (what feels like in my mind) like 10 things out of a billion. I'm a very laid back person as well, so if it bothers me like that, I can't imagine how all the "specializers" in my class are feeling right now.

If you guys want someone from a particular school to contribute to the thread, try finding them on other parts of the forum and PMing them the link.

Double Bonded, Thanks for doing this.

I remember she gave one lecture and started talking like queen latifah, really fast like you see those girls do in those ghetto videos (uh huh so i said to shaniqua her babys daddy shouldnt be hittin her cuz momma didnt raise no fool honey child uh huh) and half the class just hung their head in embarrassment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

University of Maryland

D4 / Yes

By second semester of freshman year its an average of 2 exams a week. There are no real midterms and finals weeks but some weeks do hold more exams than others (up to 4 or 5).

I think most people would say general or oral pathology due to the detailed knowledge necessary to do well in those classes.

A few classes repeat a majority of old test questions and therefore are very easy to pass.

PPTs are always made by our professors and the vast majority of the time the tested information comes from them and your class notes. Very rarely are textbooks needed even to excel in classes.

Paper textbooks are used, but as mentioned above they are not really necessary.

Letter grades based off the old >90 = A, 80-90 = B, 70-80 = C, etc.

My classmates generally help each other out and there are very few gunners in our class.

Yes but nobody used it in my class so it shut down.

Only for very, very few classes.

They are all definitely approachable.

I have heard of two people who dropped out from all four years I've been here (800+ students).

Remediation? There is personal tutoring also, but not everyone knows about that.

Honestly I don't know but I would guess our first time board pass rate is >97%.

After D1 year.

There is a biochemistry boards review but I believe that is it.

You have all of D1 summer (3 months) to take it. You do not have to do anything simultaneously and you can take it whenever you choose in that timeframe.

First and second year you could find just about any of us in the school library.

Some clinical requirements are harder to come by than others, but as long as you put in a fair amount of effort everything can be done on time. It can be a lot of work to get them in pending several factors.

Yes / Yes.

Reasonably attainable.

You rotate through almost all of them during your clinical years and there are interest groups, seminars, etc.

They are constantly trying to implement more and more practice management but it is difficult since a dental school curriculum is tedious as is. I don't know the answer to your second question.

First two years almost anything, second two years scrubs or business casual.

Yes. Absolutely.

Dental fraternities, SGA, and intramural sports teams.

Housing is no issue; safety feels like an issue sometimes but overall everyone has been okay. Location is close to everything nice in Baltimore, but closer to everything bad.

I enjoyed my time here a ton. The few small issues I have all sound ridiculous when I run them through my head.

Dental school is tough, good luck! Don't believe anyone when they tell you "next year is so much easier"... they're all pretty hard.

Also it's late and I'm tired, sorry for any typos.

Reactions: 2 users
1. Name of Your Dental School- University of Missouri- Kansas City

2. Your Year (if you're not comfortable answering that, have you taken Part I of the NBDE?) 4th

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week? During first and second year, there was a test or major quiz every week at least. During mid-terms and finals there were often 3-5 tests per week. 3rd and 4th year- very rarely is there ever more than 1 test in a given week.

4. What is the hardest class? Why? Hardest class for me was Histo because I never had it before. The lab portion killed me. Also therapeutics was very difficult due to the vast amount of memorization and I had just had a baby- very little time to study it.

5. What is the easiest class? Why? Um, I won't use names but a certain faculty taught classes for managing patients. They were insanely easy but sometimes he would take the smallest details from his notes and incorporate them into the test.

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors? Powerpoint mostly

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks? paper

8. What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages? Letter grades

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out? There is definitely a little of both. The people I hung out with were very helpful.

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available? no, but I think there used to be in the past

11. Is class attendance mandatory? "yes" is the official answer. In reality, it's not enforced much.

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)? yes, for the most part.

13. What is the drop out rate? We added it up and in one way or another about 12 people that we started with are now no longer in our class. This includes dropping out, transferring, being kicked out and one girl passed away in our class.

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling? Yes. Amy Thiemann is the student advocate and she can definitely get you resources or connections to help if needed.

15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)? I don't know very many that didn't pass- I would say for part 1, part 2, and WREBs our class easily was above 90% passing the first time for all three.

16. When do you take the NDBE Part 1? Summer after 2nd year, as you enter clinic for third year.

17. Does the school offer classes/review sessions to prepare for Part 1? Yes, they actually do an online review and some of the aspects are very helpful. For Part 2 also make sure to listen to the behavior/cultural sciences, Prosth, and perio portions- they are great!

18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes? No, you do not get time off. I just blocked off time in my clinical schedule to study when needed. Classes are held simultaneously but aren't very rigorous during the semesters when you will be taking boards.

19. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own? Ha! No. The dental school library is not a good place to study- it's only one level so it's too loud and there isn't a ton of space. I always studied at KU's med school library. After a certain time, you have to have a key card to get in but I had my friend let me in most of the time.

20. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in? Yes, BUT you must be your own advocate. If you don't have what you need, GO FIND IT! Don't put up with patients that don't show up. I was too nice third year and let my prophy/recall patients walk all over me and now I am paying for it.

21. Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs? No, not currently. However, the current first and second year classes are bigger than the third and fourth year classes so I am not sure if that will change.

22. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult? 6 arches of removable (one competency), 15 crowns (1 competency), 2 edentulous spaces with fixed (a bridge + either another bridge or restoring an implant crown), 9 quads of SRP (1 competency), 2 re-eval and deplaque (+1 competency), 8 or so patient operative competencies, 4 or so typodont operative competencies, 10 canals of endo (1 competency), and various other competencies like nitrous, etc. There are pedo requirements but they are points based and it's too complicated to discuss here.

23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties? You do rotations in each specialty clinic. If you really like one specialty, you can apply for their honors program. I think there is honors perio, pedo, OS, operative, endo... in ortho you mostly TA and then you assist during ortho clinic on Monday and Wednesday afternoon.

24. Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer? Definitely not. Your first practice management class is during fourth year. However, there are practice management seminars after clinic sometimes. I never went because I am specializing so I still have many years before practice management will be on my radar, but I have heard they are good.

25. What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years? You can wear scrubs or dress up. I think this will probably change. The current first and second years also have a designated color of scrubs that they have to wear.

26. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school? There are your cliques just like high school. However, everybody in your group becomes really good friends- it's like a second family with everything you go through in those four years. We hang out a LOT outside of school especially once the rigors of first and second year were over.

27. What student organizations are most active? Students Take Action and ASDA. People like Missouri Dental Association a lot too because they bring really good food to the lunch and learns and only charge $10 for the year. The fraternities are really fun also, although I was only in one for one year because I ran out of time and money for everything I wanted to do.

28. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue? It's not in the greatest area but I have never felt unsafe. That being said, I don't live in the area. I have never heard anyone say that finding housing was an issue.

29. What do you not like about your dental school? The administration. That's all I will say here.

30. Any last words or advice? Dental school is probably the worst four years of your life but it is a necessary evil. I can say this as I am now three weeks from graduation and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. First and second year are particularly strenuous- when it seems bleak, remember that it gets better!

BUMP. More opinions about Detroit Mercy please. Thanks.

University of TN

no

par tests. so you have all of your exams on one test every 3 weeks. i like it

gross anatomy, pharmacology. Lots of info in a short amount of time.

I cant say there are any easy classes in d school but thats just me.

powerpoints

no one buys the textbooks hardly

letter grades. they give pluses and minuses

my class theres no sabatoge. the D3's have a dude Ive heard who has changed up answers on study guides, but thats hearsay.

we have a few chicks in class who do it for the entire class. Ive never used them.

yes. though you know the ones you can miss. most ppl dont miss a class

the teachers are very available and friendly

we lose 1-3 per year due to personal problems and straight flunking.

UT prides itself on offering tons of help to students. I myself went through a major personal crisis during final examinations and was seen by a physician immediately and helped immensely. Gross anatomy tutors you on saturdays for free in the lab.

we are above a 95% pass rate
between semesters of your second year.

i dont know

you get all of xmas break and i believe a week or two in january. ive heard you only need 3 weeks to study and pass the boards.

the majority study on their own. I personally use the library as we have excellent facilities (you can have your own room with dry erase boards and large windows. No signing up, and I can count on my one hand how many times its been full and I couldnt be accommodated).

Ive heard that the only ppl who dont fulfill their requirements are either unlucky, or didnt hang around the clinic enough. Our demographic supports a large patient pool. The largest problem is finding ones who will pay.

Ive asked around and heard its not.

IDK. Its more than other schools I hear. We have a very strong clinical program here by all accounts.

Ive done some poking around the specialty clinics and all seem very welcoming. Oral surgery has even said I could come to the grand rounds every week. Ortho has said Im welcome anytime to come shadow and assist.

None. But thats not a problem. Small businesss management should be learned on your own time, the resources are everywhere.

scrubs for all four years.

yes and yes. its very much like high school in this regard.

i wish i had time to join one

its in downtown memphis with a large police dept. probably the safest place in the city. plenty of housing with a low cost of living.

well first off i think its a fantastic place. I had my doubts about attending a state school but after being here for a semester my doubts have been calmed. The curriculum is tough, the teachers are available, intelligent, and you cant help but respect them.

The only thing I dont like about it is there are a few teachers you cant help but wonder how they got a job here. One repeatedly refers to teeth as teef (we in memphis yall!), and another one who just graduated a few years ago walks around without a clue of what is going on...and refers all questions to another instructor. I remember she gave one lecture and started talking like queen latifah, really fast like you see those girls do in those ghetto videos (uh huh so i said to shaniqua her babys daddy shouldnt be hittin her cuz momma didnt raise no fool honey child uh huh) and half the class just hung their head in embarrassment. Another resident that helps in lab talks to you like you are 12 and is severely condescending and obviously grew up without manners. However in one semester Ive only encountered a few so I think its a good track record. I was accepted into 6 schools and I would pick UT again.

Another pet peeve was in a certain department. The slides would frequently be missing a sizeable portion, and be all out of order. I found it hard to believe this was their job and they didnt have their **** in order. This may seem like a silly concern to you now, but once youre in and you have 67000 things to do everyday, hunting for class material is the last thing you want to do.

The shining moment here was when the DNA professor told the class he didnt know the answer to a question, as opposed to faking it. This was a welcome breath of fresh air and I was glad to be in his class.

Oh, memphis sucks. But you wont be going out much anyways. Dental school is hard fml. Though we do have a few ballers this is easy for Im sure. I am not one of them (completely average on all exams).

Go to the cheapest school. Socialize alot in your first month or two while the load is easy because your free time quickly dries up. Study every day after school, prestudy lectures, stay an extra hour after lab, dont fall behind, and keep a sunny attitude. The first two years are didactilly rough but your third and fourth is primarily clinic, so two years in the grand scheme isnt that big of a deal. Make sure you have a passion to work in peoples mouths and didnt come for the money. The fat chick we have in class who came for money is severely unhappy Ive heard. There are easier ways to make a buck if youre smart enough to gain acceptance.

Brilliant! Funny and extremely helpful.

I interviewed there last week and really loved it.

University of Sydney

2nd year

Radiology. The current professor is very inconsistent with marking criteria and top students routinely fail exams for mysterious reasons.

Evidence based dentistry. The final exam is simple and is given beforehand. That said the prof is quite good and is interested an passionate about the subject matter.

Notes are made by profs, and are available online, but students are expected to read texts.

Some texts are available online through the library. Other common texts may be borrowed for the whole year if you desire. The library has multiple copies of the same text for students to borrow.

Pass fail for my year, but the new program DMD is Just Pass, Pass, Credit, Distinction, High Distinction.

Very cooperative. We have a dropbox account and many many people help each other out. Sabotage is unheard of.

Lectures are recorded and available online, same with notes.

Yes, but not checked. The medical classes NEVER check attendance, and many students do the lectures from home.

They are mostly approachable, with a few exceptions.

Very low, my year had 2 fail in first year, and about 3 more drop out. Class size was 88 in year one (including 8 students who had failed from the year above).

You have to do a contract with the school and supposedly go in every week and talk to your mentor professor. Dunno if it's a good system or not, but it's there.

No board exams here in Australia. You graduate and can work the next day.

No exams.

No exam.

No exam.

The dental library closes at 6pm, but there are some study rooms available until 10 pm. Honestly, the study situation is quite crap at USyd, so students study all over campus.

No problems here.

No chair issues.

Not sure, as I'm only 2nd year, but I haven't heard of many people struggling.

Dunno.

Dunno, I"m second year.

Scrubs for all clinic work. Purple ones. Like an eggplant, a big giant eggplant.

Very good friends. It's a tight knit group.

Only one student organization, the Dantal Assoc. It's not very active.

The school uses two hospitals, quite far from each other. So there is always a commute, no matter where you live. Location is fine, not dangerous.

It feels like the faculty is run by volunteers, so they're not all that serious about things. There is often mis-information and disorganization. The school sometimes feels like it's actively trying to fail the students.

Sydney is a nice city. From a Canadian perspective, it is outrageously expensive rent-wise.

I remember reading these 2 years ago and found them to be very helpful.
I'm very thankful that I can make contributions to this.

Case Western Reserve University
First Year
Block schedule
Supposedly Head and Neck is really hard (we have it 2nd semester of first year)
epidemiology wasn't too bad
I think mainly from the notes made by the professors
We have E books
Letter grades: A= 90-100, B= 80-89, etc.
we have a very good environment
Yes we do have notetaking service
You're expected to go (obviously) but I don't think anyone checks if you're there or not
very approachable. I love our profs
Very low or almost non-existent
Yes we have an amazing staff that helps those who are struggling (whether it's marks or finances)
I asked this in the interview but I think it's over 95%
During the 2nd year (after 1st semester)
Yes I believe we're with Kaplan
Yes we do. 2nd years get time off from after thanksgiving to study for the boards
Many people study in the Medical school library but many also study at the undergrad library, which is opened 24/7
definitely. I see so many patients everyday
We all have our own chairs :)
I'm not too familiar with this. But I asked an upper year and we generally don't have problems
We have ortho clubs, OMS clubs,
Yes we have practice management courses. Case is top 10% in training students with practice management
We wear scrubs with our names on them
We associate well with each other outside of class
I''m not too sure what the question specifically refers to but we have AADAS reps
Cleveland may not be the safest place in US but you should be fine as long as you're smart. For instance, I wouldn't walk out at night (11pm - 2am) by myself. But we have something called "Safe Ride" that picks you up wherever you're, and takes you home!
The people are amazing (classmates, faculty). I love our Sealant program!!!
30. Any last words or advice?[/COLOR]
Case is a great school and I don't say it because it's my school.
We have Sealant program, where we go out to Cleveland public schools and place sealants.
We have supportive faculty.
We have PBL (small group learning)

Reactions: 8 users

Roseman University

1st Year

We are on the block system and have a test every other week on that block.

Our neuroanatomy and embryology blocks were pretty tough

Dental Anatomy? Depends on the student

Powerpoints

We have electronic textbooks that are useful for reference and finding charts. The electronic texts and powerpoints are much easier to manage than I thought they'd be; I actually prefer using them now.

Roseman uses a pass/fail system with threshold at 90%

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabotage each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

Everyone really helps each other out, sharing notes or test tips. We don't really have any gunners in the sense of sabotaging others.

Not that I know of, but students freely share notes with each other

"Yes" but it's not enforced too harshly. Any given lecture has 95%+ of students there which is way higher than it sounds at some schools; most class time is pretty interactive so you miss a lot if you aren't there.

The teachers are the true gems of Roseman, most are more than willing to do whatever they can to help you succeed. Most are very approachable and really care about what they do.

None but there have only been two classes as of yet

Not that I know of

Pass rates were around 98% for the first year class last year

Summer after 1st year

Yes at the end of spring classes there is a 2 week review put on by the school to help you prepare

You can take boards (NBDE1) anytime you want and we have the whole summer without any scheduled classes after our 1st year

People study in the library, various small break out rooms or some of the conference rooms in the dental building. There are always people studying together in groups

Students haven't started seeing patients yet (next month!) so time will tell

There are more than enough operatories for each student, over 160 I believe

No set numbers, based on competencies and being proficient with a skill

Not sure yet

Not sure yet

Scrubs or business casual. Each class wears a different color of scrubs (Black for D2s and Ciel for D1s)

The other students are my favorite part of the school. There is a very great dynamic of students with lots of varied interests and backgrounds. When students aren't studying, there are lots of other things we get together and do that helps make the whole experience much more enjoyable

ASDA, ADEA

Housing is great anywhere in the south end of the Salt Lake valley where the school is. South Jordan is a pretty quiet suburb so safety is not really an issue; the location of the school is close enough to lots of other things that students like to do also.

Being a new school, we sometimes have a few hiccups with a class or a clinic project. Being the 2nd class it hasn't been nearly as rough for us as the first class dealt with the majority of the issues. That being said, the faculty is very responsive to students and will respond to students opinions to make things better.

In looking for a school or going through the application process, look for the school where you feel you could be most successful and happy. I would also recommend spending more time talking with people and getting involved and less time worrying about every little detail you read on SDN.

University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

First year - just finished first semester

~1 exam per week, sometimes two toward the end of the semester. I find that most people like this set up. It's never a roller coaster of stress; it's more of a constant level. We study for exams during the week, and then have one night of fun. It's never overly stressful where we can't handle things.

Depends on what you like. If you don't like memorizing copious amounts of information, then gross anatomy might be tough. The good thing about our set up is that we do it section by section - first osteology, then angiology, then myology, etc., So we end up seeing the same regions over and over again, and by the time you get to neuro, you've seen these parts so many times. And then you do cadaveric anatomy in the spring, so then it's just all repeated on the human body. That's for first year. I've heard the upper years saying Pathology is the toughest course, but they have the highest board scores for that section, so I guess it helps?

If you don't like very conceptual courses, then biochemistry will probably be tough. It's a lot of interrelations, and it moves very fast. People say that all of undergrad biochem is our second exam, just in more detail.

People tend to do very well in health promotion. It's different. It's tied in with dental anatomy, but you also learn about all the various toothpastes and fluorides, etc. It prepares you for patient interaction in the clinic, so that when you start assisting in DAU in your spring semester, you are able to answer a lot of common dental patient questions and make recommendations.

Powerpoints by professors. All your bigs and clubs that you join will give you a plethora of study guides that (most of the time) help you do well. Sometimes you have too much material and it's hard choosing which one to use/sort through. You'll have the odd question from "the reading". So if you want that 1 extra point, then buy the textbook. All of them are in the library, anyway, so you can borrow them to do the reading, if you have time to. I would say 99% of my class doesn't use textbooks.

Traditional text books. I think some have electronic on their iPads. again, I would say 99% of my class doesn't use textbooks.

Honors and letter grades and percentages:
H=95-100=4.0
A=90-94=4.0
B+= 85-89
B=80-84
C=70-79 (i think??)
F=0-69

Only the top 10 students are ranked. Everyone else is, I guess, #11.

My class is, for some reason, known as the "gunner" class by the upper years. I have no idea why, considering people are always posting study guides on facebook. People study together in groups, and it's generally a pretty close knit class. I mean, there are people in every class/school who will be looking out for themselves, but there hasn't been any "sabotaging". I don't see that ever happening, either.

Class are audio-recorded. Most of them are videotaped, too (depends on the professor). Your class decides on whether or not they want a transcription service ($100/year). My class did not want the service, other classes did.

No. Although, "technically" you're supposed to email administration if you're going to be sick, but even our professors have said their classes are not mandatory. Some labs and stuff will be, though.

They're very good by e-mail and during breaks. All of them have office hours for explaining concepts. They're very active on blackboard for that, too.

Not sure. They don't want you to fail out - you go through remediation and mandatory tutoring, if you are in jeopardy of failing a course, or have failed a course.

See above. Also, you have big sibs who will help you out.

I think it has always been in the very high 90s/100. I've only heard of one person not passing on their first go, but did on their second. But I don't know this answer for sure. I've been told that Penn has had the highest scores on Pharmacology and Pathology, as well as the highest scores on the NERB.

Summer after second year.

I don't think we have formal classes/review sessions. We have the summer to study.

See above.

Everyone has their own study spots. The dental library can get depressing, so people like to switch it up. Penn has more libraries than I can count, and you get access to all of them, so it's great to have options. They're beautiful, so change your scenery once in a while!

The upper years that I've talked to said that they don't have any problems getting patients. I always see a line-up of patients at admissions, so I think the patient pool here is very strong. The struggle is fulfilling all the requirements. Apparently Penn's clinical requirements are pretty intense, so that's where the stress comes in.

Not sure. The upper years I've asked said they've never had a problem getting a chair.

God, I'm not helping at all here. I'll come back in 2 years to answer this for you. Promise. See above.

When the upper years aren't in main clinic, they're on rotations amongst the specialty clinics. My bigs have all said that they're very confident - borderline cocky- about how much they know about certain specialties compared to other candidates during their interviews. There is also a mandatory externship in 4th year, where everyone has to do a placement for 4 weeks. You can split this up into two 2 week sessions, and check out multiple externship programs at other schools/hospitals.

There are business courses that you can take for small-business ownership. We have a pretty solid alumni database to contact. I'm only in first year, and I've already been offered to come down for a pseudo-externship in DC with an endodontist alumnus (I'm sure I just got lucky, but Penn hosts a bunch of these meet and greet events where you can make these sorts of connections).

Scrubs or business casual in clinic. Whatever you want in lecture.

My class is very good about balancing school and fun. We're a pretty close-knit class.

There are so many organizations you can get involved with: relaxation club, all the specialties have a club, running club, cooking club, research club, etc. The most active one is probably ASDA (they host a lunch and learn maybe once every 2 weeks). We also have 3 fraternities: Psi Omega, Delta Sigma Delta, and Alpha Omega

Philadelphia is great. I love it here - there's a lot of culture and great food. Safety can be an issue if you're not smart about it, but that's every city. Penn has done a great job of minimizing crime by installing motion sensitive cameras that record activity all across campus, so many security guards on bikes on every street corner, shuttles to drive you home, security to walk you home, etc. Housing is easy to come by, depending on your needs. Most people live in the apartments next to the school (~1000ish/month). Some live in center city - most art 3rd and 4th years, since we need to be in school a lot for our first two years.

Pre-clinical lab needs to be upgraded. If we're paying 400,000 then I feel like we deserve to have an insanely amazing lab and gold-plated clinic chairs. They're almost at their goal to start renovating the pre-clinical labs, I'm just bitter that I won't be there to experience it (it'll be done in 10 years, I think). But as long as I'm receiving solid instruction/education, I can deal with my mannequin not having shoulders, or missing ceiling tiles in the basement. The few things I dislike about Penn are issues that you would see at EVERY school: a subpar professor, unnecessarily tough exam, ugly lab, etc. However, for me, the great far outweighs the bad. I know there is a method behind the madness, and if I just trust the upper years, I'll get where I need to be and be extremely happy I chose this school.

What do I like most about my dental school? I think it's only fair to add this question in, too.

There really are too many to list, but thing that made me choose Penn was the people. My Penn interview was the only one I had where I was absolutely impressed with the candidates. It was clear that administration did a solid job of thoroughly screening their applicants, because everyone had accomplished great things: founding their own NGOs/charities, varsity athletes, olympians, PhDs who have published multiple papers, foreign DMDs, and MDs wanting to now become OMFS, etc. The caliber of students here honestly inspires me to want to better myself in various aspects of my life. The students and faculty here constantly challenge me to redefine my potential and strive for more. I worked hard to get to this point, so it was important to me to surround myself with others who have done the same.

Dental school is a roller coaster of emotion: for the most part you will feel blessed to be there, but there are some days where you'll just want to quit. Make sure you choose the school where you'll be happy OUTSIDE of class, because if you let your school work define your happiness, then you're going to be miserable anywhere you go. Pick the school where you jive best with your classmates because they are what will get you through the madness that is dental school. Always keep in mind that the first two years suck in terms of learning didactics - it's just something you have to bear; the last two years suck in terms having senioritis - you'll be worried about graduation and where you'll have to move for your specialty or residency. You will always have stress, so have friends to help you manage it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Anyone that can provide information on Western University in California? :)

University of Queensland (Brisbane)

4th (out of 5)

Some smaller exams/case reports/etc throughout the semester, the major exams during finals weeks.

Oral med/path, because of the incredible breadth of knowledge we need, and the unpredictable exams. Or periodontology, due to the same. These 2 are the reason for the majority of repeats.

Prosthodontics, due to how nice the department is with their exams :laugh:

Most on lecture powerpoints, with the exception of oral med/path

Everyone gets textbooks in their own way, although through the years we learnt our lesson :D Now we mainly look at PDFs or borrow from the library.

Percentages, which gets converted to GPA out of 7. Honours if you meet something like 6.2

Nah everyone's pretty friendly and understands the horrors of dent school without the added stress of sabotage :laugh:

No electronically recorded lectures

Clinics and labs yes. Lectures are technically mandatory...

Most lecturers are approachable and happy to answer questions

Voluntary drop out rate is low, but many people fail and have to repeat the particular year. A mark less than 45% in any final exam is an instant repeat (a rule introduced last year, and pretty controversial).

The coordinator/s will call you in for a talk (in a nice way).

N/A Everyone who graduates in Australia is qualified

N/A

N/A

N/A (tho there is a 1 week swotvac vacation before exam block)

People who have 3 hour breaks in the middle of the day will stay, but most people leave if they're done with classes for the day.

Readily available for most procedures, except fixed and removable pros.

Some years can fit everyone in a chair every session, but some years have a rotating schedule (depending on if many people repeated the year before and expanded the cohort!)

The school is pretty understanding if you can't get much experience with crowns etc as they're hard to come by. But we've been warned we can fail for not having enough perio pts...

We experience basically every specialty by graduation. Not much free choice in what you see though.

A few lectures scattered throughout the years about practice management. There are placements in public facilities throughout the country, but no private clinics obviously.

Business attire when in the school (collared shirts, slacks), white clinical coats when in clinic.

Very close knit cohorts. Some people don't actually associate with much non-dental people outside :laugh: The course is an undergrad course, and we've really only been with each other since 1st year...

The UQ Dental Association, which organises the boat cruises, balls, etc

Brisbane's very safe, and the schools in the middle of the CBD. Housing's not too bad either.

Low on funding, hence charging patients relatively high for some things like pros, hence not much pros experience. Also the high failure rate...

TTT!
What an invaluable thread!!!