There's a great thread from 2007 where current and past dental students give insight into how their dental school operates. But no one posts in it anymore, most of the posts are outdated, and because pre-clinical and clinical requirements change, contributions from previous years may not be relevant now.
I was hoping to open a similar thread where dental students answer some simple questions about their school. I've taken most of the questions from the 2007 thread (written by Burton117) and added a few of my own, if you want me to add a question let me know.
Here's the link to the old thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=401980
AL: University of Alabama School of Dentistry at UAB
AZ: A.T. Still University of Health Sciences Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
AZ: Midwestern University School of Dental Medicine
CA: Loma Linda University School of Dentistry http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...tal-school-part-2.870235/page-2#post-14760876
CA: University of California at Los Angeles School of Dentistry http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...tal-school-part-2.870235/page-2#post-14714431
CA: University of Southern California School of Dentistry
CA: University of California at San Francisco School of Dentistry
CA: University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry
CO: University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center
CT: University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...tal-school-part-2.870235/page-2#post-16799545
DC: Howard University College of Dentistry
FL: LECOM School of Dental Medicine
FL: Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
FL: University of Florida College of Dentistry
GA: Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...tal-school-part-2.870235/page-2#post-15529874
IA: University of Iowa College of Dentistry
IL: Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine
IL: University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry
IN: Indiana University School of Dentistry
KY: University of Kentucky College of Dentistry
KY: University of Louisville School of Dentistry
KY: University of Louisville School of Dentistry (Post #2)
LA: Louisiana State University School of Dentistry http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...tal-school-part-2.870235/page-2#post-15607550
MA: Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...tal-school-part-2.870235/page-2#post-15581648
MA: Harvard University School of Dental Medicine http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...tal-school-part-2.870235/page-2#post-16324855
MA: Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
MD: University of Maryland Baltimore College of Dental Surgery
MI: University of Michigan School of Dentistry
MI: University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry
MN: University of Minnesota School of Dentistry
MO: University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...tal-school-part-2.870235/page-2#post-16740962
MS: University of Mississippi School of Dentistry
NC: University of North Carolina School of Dentistry
NE: University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Dentistry
NE: Creighton University School of Dentistry
NJ: University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey New Jersey Dental School
NV: University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine
NY: State University of New York at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine
NY: Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
NY: New York University College of Dentistry
NY: State University of New York at Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine
OH: Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine
OH: Ohio State University College of Dentistry
OK: University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry
OR: Oregon Health and Science University School of Dentistry
PA: Temple University School of Dentistry
PA: University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ur-dental-school-part-2.870235/#post-13466815
PA: University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine
PR: University of Puerto Rico School of Dentistry
SC: Medical University of South Carolina College of Dental Medicine
TN: University of Tennessee College of Dentistry
TN: Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry
TX: Baylor College of Dentistry Component of Texas A & M Health Science Center
TX: University of Texas Hlth Science Cnt-Houston Dental Branch
TX: University of Texas Hlth Science Cnt-San Antonio Dental School
UT: Roseman University
VA: Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry
WA: University of Washington-Health Sciences School of Dentistry
WI: Marquette University School of Dentistry
WV: West Virginia University School of Dentistry
NSW: University of Sydney
Please answer the questions in the following format. Feel free to expand on your response and skip anything you don't want to answer.
1. Name of Your Dental School
2. Your Year (if you're not comfortable answering that, have you taken Part I of the NBDE?)
3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?
4. What is the hardest class? Why?
5. What is the easiest class? Why?
6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?
7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks?
8. What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?
9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?
10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?
11. Is class attendance mandatory?
12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?
13. What is the drop out rate?
14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling?
15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)?
16. When do you take the NDBE Part 1?
17. Does the school offer classes/review sessions to prepare for Part 1?
18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?
19. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?
20. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?
21. Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?
22. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?
23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties?
24. Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?
25. What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?
26. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school?
27. What student organizations are most active?
28. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?
29. What do you not like about your dental school?
30. Any last words or advice?
Nice! Yea I was very happy with UK and Lexington, Im really looking forward to itI visited a friend at UK undergrad this weekend and was thoroughly impressed with Lexington. I feel like it's a good place to spend for years. Also I heard via word of mouth on the interview trail that you get a lot of quality exposure to endo there as opposed to other schools