ERAS PM&R applicant stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are 363 (PGY1&2 spots, 75 + 268) as of last year. Of course, there might be more since I am going on the NRMP statistics about the number of PM&R spots offered in 2004.

Those ARE pretty interesting statistics...100% increase in DO applicants in 3 years, 50% increase in USMD applicants. How does one explain, however, the huge drop in FMG applications last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally M3 said:
There are 363 (PGY1&2 spots, 75 + 268) as of last year. Of course, there might be more since I am going on the NRMP statistics about the number of PM&R spots offered in 2004.

Those ARE pretty interesting statistics...100% increase in DO applicants in 3 years, 50% increase in USMD applicants. How does one explain, however, the huge drop in FMG applications last year?

This is just a guess, but it may be due to the increased perception among US and FMGs that PM&R has become more competitive. This may deter some FMGs from even applying. This is just one guess. Based on the increase in US seniors, it seems as through it may be slightly more competitive this year. But, of course, the competition exists in "getting" an interview. After that, the competition does not increase because programs tend to interview about the same number of applicants year in and year out (at least recent years, from what I understand) for a set number of positions.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

NF :thumbup:

normalforce said:
This is just a guess, but it may be due to the increased perception among US and FMGs that PM&R has become more competitive. This may deter some FMGs from even applying. This is just one guess. Based on the increase in US seniors, it seems as through it may be slightly more competitive this year. But, of course, the competition exists in "getting" an interview. After that, the competition does not increase because programs tend to interview about the same number of applicants year in and year out (at least recent years, from what I understand) for a set number of positions.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

NF :thumbup:

Does anyone know what percentage of PM&R applicants got one of their top 3 choices last year?

Thanks a lot.

NF

I'm confused.... i thought pm&r has gotten exponentially competitive in the last few years. According to these stats, the # of applicants has remained relatively stable over the last 3 years.

AviatorDoc said:
I'm confused.... i thought pm&r has gotten exponentially competitive in the last few years. According to these stats, the # of applicants has remained relatively stable over the last 3 years.

Increase in # of DO and USMG applicants has been balanced by a 40% drop in FMG applications.

I would like to know what programs look at. I hear that interview is more important than your dean's letter, board scores, etc. I want to know how programs judge applicants and how much the interview weighs on getting a spot or not. Don't get me wrong, if you are a complete dud on the interview, I understand that it will weigh heavily on getting a spot but what if you are just like everybody else. I really would like to know..

drusso said:
I think that the competitiveness and qualifications of individual candidates is up and the number of applications to top programs are up.

dalox812 said:
I would like to know what programs look at. I hear that interview is more important than your dean's letter, board scores, etc. I want to know how programs judge applicants and how much the interview weighs on getting a spot or not. Don't get me wrong, if you are a complete dud on the interview, I understand that it will weigh heavily on getting a spot but what if you are just like everybody else. I really would like to know..

it's difficult to quantitate what makes someone a good interviewer/personable or however you want to define it. just be yourself and that should do. if you get too caught up in the type of personality each program is looking for... you'll most likely end up having a sub-par inteview. i imagine that most PDs and other physicians interviewing are decent judges of personality on some level.

i can't see how programs really expect to get to know a candidate after a 15 min interview. my theory is that the interview is more about getting a general sense of the applicant. does this make any sense?

the field tends to attract more "people-oriented" personalities. i think that should be enough to get a spot, along with recommendations that speak about you interpersonal skills with residents and patients... and all the other stuff.

Hey...thanks for your input..it was really good...i got another question for you...From going to interview to interview it seems like a lot of people are interested in the same programs that I am but according to some books out there, it says that one has a good shot in getting into their choice of residency in their top choice. I would like to know how is this possible if a lot of people are going for the same spot. Maybe I just don't understand the mathematics involved or just the match...I don't know...To me, this doesn't make sense. If anyone could provide any information, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, who is really enjoying 4th year???..I really would rather study for an exit exam than go to these interviews...At least there you have some control of your destiny...if anyone agrees with me..holla back

chauffeur said:
it's difficult to quantitate what makes someone a good interviewer/personable or however you want to define it. just be yourself and that should do. if you get too caught up in the type of personality each program is looking for... you'll most likely end up having a sub-par inteview. i imagine that most PDs and other physicians interviewing are decent judges of personality on some level.

i can't see how programs really expect to get to know a candidate after a 15 min interview. my theory is that the interview is more about getting a general sense of the applicant. does this make any sense?

the field tends to attract more "people-oriented" personalities. i think that should be enough to get a spot, along with recommendations that speak about you interpersonal skills with residents and patients... and all the other stuff.

Looking at the "Careers in Medicine" website it seems like the number of US applicants has NOT increased in the last few years, stable around 200 for PGY2 slots wtih ~270 slots available. It seems like only 1/2 slots are filled by AMGs from the data (which I can't really link or replicate) for the last few years. So, is this supposed rise in competitiveness real or anecdotal?

cyanocobalamin said:
Looking at the "Careers in Medicine" website it seems like the number of US applicants has NOT increased in the last few years, stable around 200 for PGY2 slots wtih ~270 slots available. It seems like only 1/2 slots are filled by AMGs from the data (which I can't really link or replicate) for the last few years. So, is this supposed rise in competitiveness real or anecdotal?

The only reference I find to PM&R on that site is a pretty generic review of our field (www.aamc.org/students/cim/pub_physmedrehab.htm) and a link to the NRMP's site, where everyone else's statistics seem pretty consistent.

Odd that you can't copy, replicate, or simply retype data that is otherwise unavailable to any of the rest of us.

Oh, and according to ERAS, there were 363 PGY1&2 positions available when last I checked, so your ~270 number is just plain inaccurate

paz5559 said:
The only reference I find to PM&R on that site is a pretty generic review of our field (www.aamc.org/students/cim/pub_physmedrehab.htm) and a link to the NRMP's site, where everyone else's statistics seem pretty consistent.

Odd that you can't copy, replicate, or simply retype data that is otherwise unavailable to any of the rest of us.

Oh, and according to ERAS, there were 363 PGY1&2 positions available when last I checked, so your ~270 number is just plain inaccurate

It's not that I can't copy the data; I can, but it is passsword access only and I don't want to upset the AAMC. Here's the link and if you have access to the password you will see the data on your own.

http://services.aamc.org/careersinmedicine/specialties/match/dsp_spec_nrmp.cfm?sc=340

paz5559 said:

I said for PGY2 slots in my original post, not PGY1 and PGY 2 slots.

http://www.abpmr.org/downloads/newsletters/documents/Winter2005DiplomateNews_000.pdf

It appears that OVERALL:

76% of PM&R residents are US AMG in 2004-2005; up from 62% in 2000-2001

% IMG US Citizens is down from 21% in 2000-2001 to 9% in 2004-2005

% IMG Non-US Citizens is also down from 17% in 2000-2001 to 15% in 2004-2005

Not quite sure why the decrease is so much more for IMG US Citizens. I can only speculate that most IMG Non-US Citizens were likely already physicians in their own country and are thus slightly more attractive to residency programs that are IMG friendly anyway.

I have from this NRMP website that PGY 1 slots were 68% filled with US grads but PGY 2 slots were 49.6% filled by US students; PGY 2 slots >> PGY 1 slots. Data are for 2004.

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/tables/table10ab_04.pdf

DigableCat said:
http://www.abpmr.org/downloads/newsletters/documents/Winter2005DiplomateNews_000.pdf

It appears that OVERALL:

76% of PM&R residents are US AMG in 2003-2004; up from 62% in 2000-2001

% IMG US Citizens is down from 21% in 2000-2001 to 9% in 2004-2005

% IMG Non-US Citizens is also down from 17% in 2000-2001 to 15% in 2004-2005

Not quite sure why the decrease is so much more for IMG US Citizens. I can only speculate that most IMG Non-US Citizens were likely already physicians in their own country and are thus slightly more attractive to residency programs that are IMG friendly anyway.

cyanocobalamin said:
I have from this NRMP website that PGY 1 slots were 68% filled with US grads but PGY 2 slots were 49.6% filled by US students; PGY 2 slots >> PGY 1 slots. Data are for 2004.

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/tables/table10ab_04.pdf

Those stats, I believe are misleading, since DOs apply through the match as independent candidates. So 49.6% of PGY-2 spots were filled with US allopathic grads but if you add the number of DOs into the equation, the total percentage of US grads matching is probably 80-90%.

docslacker said:
Those stats, I believe are misleading, since DOs apply through the match as independent candidates. So 49.6% of PGY-2 spots were filled with US allopathic grads but if you add the number of DOs into the equation, the total percentage of US grads matching is probably 80-90%.

Percentage of US seniors matching was 98% in 2001, 92% in 2004 according to Washington University, St Louis.

http://medicine.wustl.edu/~residenc/outside/spec/PM_info.html