Q for experienced Bostonians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quixote

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my IM residency at BIDMC tomorrow <gasp>. I have two Q for experienced Bostonians. I recently moved from Texas.

1) At 6 am, is it faster to drive route 9 or the mass pike, coming from Southboro where I live? I have tried but still am not clear where traffic is worse.

2) If one goes the shortracking route, does that mean one gets a fellow salary starting the 3rd year? Or is the salary less? Not that money would be my only consideration, but even though I like the possibility of shortracking, I could not afford to perceive a lower salary at this point in my life.

PS: For those not in Boston, can you believe that parking at the building where I have orientation costs $29 for the day?????????????????? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, you're living quite a ways outside the city! I hope your commute doesn't kill you this year.

I think that it would be much faster to take the mass pike at that time of the morning, simply because of the speed limit difference. Traffic really isn't bad at 6am, but Route 9 has all sorts of traffic lights and the speed limit is only about 35mph. I would probably take the mass pike to 95 south, then take route 9 from there, which will take you pretty much straight to the BI. Keep in mind that the mass pike is a toll road, so if you will be using it alot, you should register in the mass pike "fast track" program so that you don't have to carry around lots of spare change.

As far as fellow salary if you short track, you would most likely be paid at either a PGY3 or PGY4 level your first year of fellwship, so your salary would still go up. During the research years, though, most fellows get paid on the NIH pay scale, and therefore face a big paycut. Usually they make up the pay difference by moonlighting.

Good luck at your orientation and starting residency! BTW, you should ask if they'll give you a parking voucher for your orientation day -- lots of programs in the area do that.

AJM said:
Wow, you're living quite a ways outside the city! I hope your commute doesn't kill you this year.

I think that it would be much faster to take the mass pike at that time of the morning, simply because of the speed limit difference. Traffic really isn't bad at 6am, but Route 9 has all sorts of traffic lights and the speed limit is only about 35mph. I would probably take the mass pike to 95 south, then take route 9 from there, which will take you pretty much straight to the BI. Keep in mind that the mass pike is a toll road, so if you will be using it alot, you should register in the mass pike "fast track" program so that you don't have to carry around lots of spare change.

As far as fellow salary if you short track, you would most likely be paid at either a PGY3 or PGY4 level your first year of fellwship, so your salary would still go up. During the research years, though, most fellows get paid on the NIH pay scale, and therefore face a big paycut. Usually they make up the pay difference by moonlighting.

Good luck at your orientation and starting residency! BTW, you should ask if they'll give you a parking voucher for your orientation day -- lots of programs in the area do that.
Thanks a lot!!!
Yep Southboro is quite a ways, but I have kids and this is better for them. One of my kids has special needs and this area is great for him. Also, I looked at apts in the Brookline area and the rent was RIDICULOUS. Plus, I also have pets. All in all, it was decided that it would be best if mom just resigned herself to a long commute. Although, for BID, being west as I am is by far the best commute, if one has to commute. I also absolutely adore the Southboro area.

As far as shorttracking, I know some programs give a fixed monthly bonus so that the PGY3 shorttracker makes as much, or even more, than a regular fellow. For example, 55-57K as a PGY3. This, plus any moonlighting allowed. I don't know what BID does. If you are on a 20K-30Ks salary as a PGY3, that is going to deter some applicants. It will deter me for sure.

And nope, no parking voucher for this baby! Thank God we can park under contract starting in 3 days.

ANYBODY ELSE FREAKING OUT ABOUT HAVING FORGOTTEN EVERYTHING MEDICAL????? :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
29 bucks?!?! remind me to NEVER complain about parking the in medical center again! best of luck--i know you'll kick butt!

I'd gladly give up my free parking to be home again. Get cut off yet? Here's a tip - don't use your blinker. It only warns them of your intentions.