Official MCW Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
THIS IS REPLY #500 TO THIS THREAD AND IT BELONGS TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fitting I suppose. Not sure why. But fitting.

Members don't see this ad.

With finals approaching, my mind has become even more twisted than usual. Last night, as I wandered the school in search of sanity outside of my new home, the library, I saw quite a few interviewees leaving from their little pre-interview meet and greet. They all looked so innocent with their carry-on luggage and snappy business casual dress.

So of course I proceeded to imagine how much fun it would be to print up a mock sign directing a few of the interviewees to a nerd room where I would be set up as an interviewer. I could call myself Dr. I.C. Weiner and give them the real lowdown on medicine as seen through the biochemistry-colored lenses of an M1. In short, I would probably make them cry.

So, that's my true confession of what studying for these finals has done to my psyche. Does anyone else care to share with the support group about how you are coping?

DoctorFunk said:
So of course I proceeded to imagine how much fun it would be to print up a mock sign directing a few of the interviewees to a nerd room where I would be set up as an interviewer. I could call myself Dr. I.C. Weiner and give them the real lowdown on medicine as seen through the biochemistry-colored lenses of an M1. In short, I would probably make them cry.

So, that's my true confession of what studying for these finals has done to my psyche. Does anyone else care to share with the support group about how you are coping?

You're a monster!

I for some reason am not stressing out. Though I should be with as little as I've studied. But the fact of the matter is, I know when to say "I don't give a feck."

Members don't see this ad :)
So, here's the parking structure in X-70, due to open in August of next year!

I hope this frees up some space for us to park a bit closer.

DoctorFunk said:
With finals approaching, my mind has become even more twisted than usual. Last night, as I wandered the school in search of sanity outside of my new home, the library

Why on earth are you stressed out about biochem? It is only 780 pages of condensed information. I am almost done :D

~It's the Final(s) Countdown!
bu-duh-duh-duh, bu-duh-duh-duh-DUH~

*Cue French Horns*

DoctorFunk said:
~It's the Final(s) Countdown!
bu-duh-duh-duh, bu-duh-duh-duh-DUH~

*Cue French Horns*

I think you mean FREEDOM horns. traitor.

Well that was certainly...enlightening. Who knew that when they told us earlier in the course (and repeated during the post-Block 3 liaison committee meeting) that we shouldn't bother memorizing countless symptoms of the diseases that they briefly mention because they're teaching bioCHEMISTRY and not pathology, that they really meant-"Memorize every detail, you worthless worms, because 20% of the final exam will hinge on them!"

Hrumph.

DoctorFunk said:
Well that was certainly...enlightening. Who knew that when they told us earlier in the course (and repeated during the post-Block 3 liaison committee meeting) that we shouldn't bother memorizing countless symptoms of the diseases that they briefly mention because they're teaching bioCHEMISTRY and not pathology, that they really meant-"Memorize every detail, you worthless worms, because 20% of the final exam will hinge on them!"

Hrumph.

Hrumph here as well...going into that test I knew that I hadn't studied enough, but I'm glad I didn't study more because there is no way that I would have bothered to memorize the minutiae they tested on even if I had put in the extra time.

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

Agent Splat said:
BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

BIOCHEMISTRY IS OVER!!!

I needed the extra assurance that Biochemistry is over. I'm still having nightmares. and yes, there is life outside MCW.
my hump, my hump, my hump!
until jan. 3rd, enjoy your break.

Who The Hell Are You People??? Who Took My Spoon??????????????

Members don't see this ad :)
Agent Splat said:
Who The Hell Are You People??? Who Took My Spoon??????????????

The spoon? What spoon? Oh, THAT Spoon.

Michael Istwan called me and told me if I didn't take your spoon they'd rescind my admission. Well, it SOUNDED like Michael. In retrospect, I did think I heard Pratik giggling in the background, though.

i'm A Lumberjack And I'm Okay; I Sleep All Night And Work All Day!!!! i'm A Lumberjack And I'm Okay; I Sleep All Night And Work All Day!!!! i'm A Lumberjack And I'm Okay; I Sleep All Night And Work All Day!!!! i'm A Lumberjack And I'm Okay; I Sleep All Night And Work All Day!!!! i'm A Lumberjack And I'm Okay; I Sleep All Night And Work All Day!!!! i'm A Lumberjack And I'm Okay; I Sleep All Night And Work All Day!!!! i'm A Lumberjack And I'm Okay; I Sleep All Night And Work All Day!!!! i'm A Lumberjack And I'm Okay; I Sleep All Night And Work All Day!!!! i'm A Lumberjack And I'm Okay; I Sleep All Night And Work All Day!!!! i'm A Lumberjack And I'm Okay; I Sleep All Night And Work All Day!!!! i'm A Lumberjack And I'm Okay; I Sleep All Night And Work All Day!!!! i'm A Lumberjack And I'm Okay; I Sleep All Night And Work All Day!!!! i'm A Lumberjack And I'm Okay; I Sleep All Night And Work All Day!!!! i'm A Lumberjack And I'm Okay; I Sleep All Night And Work All Day!!!!

Take this cup away from me....for I don't want to taste its poison.
....feel it burn me.

I have changed.

I'm not as sure as when we started.

Then I was inspired.

Now I'm sad and tired.

Listen, surely I've exceeded expectations.

Tried for three years.

Seems like thirty.

Could you ask as much from

any other man?

How insane is the Angel discussion board for the Physiology test?!! I love it...it's like our own mini-SDN! Wheee! Now I know what it's like to be a professor's inbox on the day exam scores go out. I definitely do not envy them.

I also love that some people are accusing the professors of mumbling and practicing "hearsay testing." I hope they realize that Angel is not some anonymous internet forum.

Andy15430 said:
How insane is the Angel discussion board for the Physiology test?!! I love it...it's like our own mini-SDN! Wheee! Now I know what it's like to be a professor's inbox on the day exam scores go out. I definitely do not envy them.

I also love that some people are accusing the professors of mumbling and practicing "hearsay testing." I hope they realize that Angel is not some anonymous internet forum.

Oh, yeah. It's great. I totally agree with you...I mean "concur." :) About the mini-SDN thing, I was thinking the exact same thing.

I gotta admit, I got the retrograde thing wrong too. But I don't go to class, so I don't feel like I can post anything on that. However, I distinctly remember reading in the coop that blood never goes backwards, and they compared it to a "river running backwards." I should find that in my coops and kick that writer's butt. That was the reason I chose that answer.

Some of the arguments on there are pretty good, but others are a pretty weak attempt at getting a point on something one didn't remember clearly, etc.

I do not want to be the one that has to sift through all of these, but hey, hopefully I'll get some points. Now to work on the motivation to study for neuro... :eek:

They're using Angel as a public bitch-about-the-test forum??? Whose dumb idea was that? And how incredibly entertaining is it to read some of the justifications for the wrong answers? Seriously, I have heard some amazingly odd explanations of why a wrong answer should be accepted (including one that I'll never forget about how a baby's sex is scientifically determined not at conception, but at the morula stage of development), but I've never seen anyone document them AND publicly take credit for it. I wish I had access to that so I could relive the post-test anger of the people that think that one point will make or break their career (it won't, by the way). Besides, the first phys test kicks everyone's ass.

Angel started toward the end of my second year (I think) so I haven't really used it much, but I'm glad to see that it's getting put to use, I guess. Anyhoo, good luck with the rest of the block and have a great time this weekend (don't y'all love the block system???).

Hawkeye Kid said:
They're using Angel as a public bitch-about-the-test forum??? Whose dumb idea was that? And how incredibly entertaining is it to read some of the justifications for the wrong answers? Seriously, I have heard some amazingly odd explanations of why a wrong answer should be accepted (including one that I'll never forget about how a baby's sex is scientifically determined not at conception, but at the morula stage of development), but I've never seen anyone document them AND publicly take credit for it. I wish I had access to that so I could relive the post-test anger of the people that think that one point will make or break their career (it won't, by the way).

Angel started toward the end of my second year (I think) so I haven't really used it much, but I'm glad to see that it's getting put to use, I guess. Anyhoo, good luck with the rest of the block and have a great time this weekend (don't y'all love the block system???).

What's even greater is that a couple of the gunners are taking their own initiative in refuting the claims of people who are challenging questions. I suppose the gunners don't want to have questions thrown out that they got right because that would hurt their own score a little bit. Still, though, let the professor decide if a challenge has merit or not, right? If someone besides the professor shot down my own challenge I wouldn't be too happy with that person.

Other med schools use the Angel system. There is a student from UCLA who posted the text from a discussion on their Angel forum in his blog in which the whole student body is bitching about the faculty and at each other for various indiscretions throughout the year. It's hilarious! I'll try to post a link if I can find it.
Besides, the first phys test kicks everyone's ass.
Hawkeye, are you saying that Phys gets easier from here on out? If that were true, I would be very excited.

Edit: Here's the link. If you ever have some time to kill, this guy's blog is great. One day when I should have been studying I read it from start to finish.

Hawkeye Kid said:
Besides, the first phys test kicks everyone's ass.

Actually I sorta thought it was fun to take....

*ducks*

Well, the EKG stuff anyway. That was cool.

I just realized, though, that since you're a 4th year, you had the 2003 phys exam, right? I heard bad things about that one in particular. The 04 and 05 old exams were much easier. You guys got hosed, I guess.

That's gold, Andy. Pure gold. You read that dude's entire blog? How long did that take (and how much better was it than studying)?

I agree that it's BS that some people (the people that sit in the front and ask ?s, perhaps?) take it upon themselves to counter peoples' arguments, especially since I'm sure that they're doing it in an incredibly professional manner. That's one of the reasons that I think it's a bad idea to contest exams like this. The benefit it has for students, I guess, is that you can piggyback on arguments that you never considered; ie. I got #48 wrong because I had no clue and guessed 'c' because I always guess 'c' when I have no clue--but you actually had a valid reason for putting 'c' and, upon reading said explanation, I say "yes Dr Lombard/Stekeil (is he still alive?)/Cowley/whoever, I went through the same thought process as Andy in concluding that the correct answer must be 'c'" and then quote some obscure Scandanavian journal from 1977 (this actually happened in my class) that vaguely relates to the question and sort of supports our answer while suggesting that I had, of course, read this PRIOR to the exam and used knowledge from it as a basis for my answer. Ridiculous.

Oh, and I'm not necessarily saying that phys gets EASIER--block 2 is always the hardest, right? That's especially true if you have Dr. Cowley because, while he actually is a good teacher, he has no clue how smart we aren't and has a very hard time figuring out what level to teach at. Once he's gets that, he's a great teacher--it just takes forever to get there. Having said that, I can tell you that I did do considerably better in subsequent blocks. This probably has a little to do with the fact that I had 2 semesters of UG phys and was overconfident going in, had my **** handed to me after block 1, and hunkered down after that. Blocks 3, 4 and super-secret block 5 (have y'all found out about this yet?)were definitely easier, though.

OK, I'm off to enjoy the last day of my vacation month (I HAVE to go to Costa Rica next month to LEARN medical spanish). Good luck with the rest of the week (I drove down Watertown Plank last night about 11 and saw a bunch of cars in C lot--I feel for you guys). Peace.

Agent Splat said:
Actually I sorta thought it was fun to take....

*ducks*

Well, the EKG stuff anyway. That was cool.

I just realized, though, that since you're a 4th year, you had the 2003 phys exam, right? I heard bad things about that one in particular. The 04 and 05 old exams were much easier. You guys got hosed, I guess.

Yeah, I wouldn't say that too loudly, especially now. I didn't think taking it was that bad, either--it was CHECKING it that I didn't like.

I have heard that, in comparison, that our test had sort of become legendary. One of the reasons it was so hard, I think, is that the 2002 test--usually the best indicator of the difficulty of the 2003 test--was really easy. I think that gave people (ie. me) confidence that we shouldn't have had, resulting in badness (I think that the mean on that test was a LP). Oh well, what doesn't kill you...

block 5 phys is just a month long orgy called "sexual function and dissapointment".

indo said:
block 5 phys is just a month long orgy called "sexual function and dissapointment".

And anybody that does well in that block is going to be too embarrassed to admit it

I was walking through the hospital the other day and bumped into Dr. Simons (dean of something or other) on his way to eat lunch with his wife. We got to chatting, and I asked him what the parking situation will be like next year once the new parking structure is done. He said that as of now, the plan is for med students in all 4 years to park in lot C next year. Apparently, MCW leases the space in B-lot from Children's right now, and they don't want to have to pay that fee if they don't have to. Good news for us, I guess, but it will suck for 3rd and 4th years who now have to hike all the way across campus to get to the hospital for their rotations.

Just an FYI...

Andy15430 said:
I was walking through the hospital the other day and bumped into Dr. Simons (dean of something or other) on his way to eat lunch with his wife. We got to chatting, and I asked him what the parking situation will be like next year once the new parking structure is done. He said that as of now, the plan is for med students in all 4 years to park in lot C next year. Apparently, MCW leases the space in B-lot from Children's right now, and they don't want to have to pay that fee if they don't have to. Good news for us, I guess, but it will suck for 3rd and 4th years who now have to hike all the way across campus to get to the hospital for their rotations.

Just an FYI...

...and you are?....

Andy15430 said:

Just an FYI...

how on earth are they gonna have room for a thousand cars in C lot?!?!

pratik7 said:
how on earth are they gonna have room for a thousand cars in C lot?!?!

That's kind of what I was thinking. I suppose you have to figure that on any given day, a good chunk of the M3's and M4's will be on rotations at hospitals and clinics elsewhere in the city. I just hope they think this through better than they did last year.

Agent Splat said:
...and you are?....

I don't even know anymore...someone stole my face. If I still had one, it would look like this: :eek:

I think it would be hard enough just putting all the M1s and M2s in that lot, let alone the 3rd and 4th years too.

Didn't they say something once upon a time about building a structure in C lot? Or am I just making that up?

You'd think that if there was that much room in C lot, that they'd let us all park there now, rather than just giving 50 M1s passes to park there. :confused:

akpete said:
I think it would be hard enough just putting all the M1s and M2s in that lot, let alone the 3rd and 4th years too.

Didn't they say something once upon a time about building a structure in C lot? Or am I just making that up?

You'd think that if there was that much room in C lot, that they'd let us all park there now, rather than just giving 50 M1s passes to park there. :confused:

I wonder how many college employees park in C-lot now that will be moved either into the new parking structure, or X-70.

Andy15430 said:
I wonder how many college employees park in C-lot now that will be moved either into the new parking structure, or X-70.

A lot. (No pun intended). You've got to figure that on most days (touchy-feely Tuesday beng excluded from this list), less than half of the second years are there. And Andy's right, most of the third and fourth years will be somewhere else.

Sigh. Less than four months until boards. Get me the heck out of here (or just out of the nerd room next to Marc...)

Xandie said:
Sigh. Less than four months until boards. Get me the heck out of here (or just out of the nerd room next to Marc...)

Booger!!!!

Love,
marc

Xandie said:
Get me the heck out of here (or just out of the nerd room next to Marc...)

:scared: I'm sorry!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just once in my life...
I would like to be standing on top of a burning building with a beautiful woman, kiss her passionately, then jump to the next rooftop whilst shooting in midair at the enemies chasing us. Landing on the adjacent roof, we would slowly walk away as the building explodes behind us.

...just once.

good luck with that.

Agent Splat said:
Just once in my life...
I would like to be standing on top of a burning building with a beautiful woman, kiss her passionately, then jump to the next rooftop whilst shooting in midair at the enemies chasing us. Landing on the adjacent roof, we would slowly walk away as the building explodes behind us.

...just once.

I'd like to be the guy who repairs your pelvis after you try that.

indo said:
I'd like to be the guy who repairs your pelvis after you try that.

You're just like the rest of them.

Agent Splat said:
You're just like the rest of them.

Well, exploring your relationship with your mom won't fix your pelvis. However, it may help explain your behavior just prior to shattering your pelvis.

The Heart!!!!!!! The Beating Of The Hideous, Horrible Heart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agent Splat said:
The Heart!!!!!!! The Beating Of The Hideous, Horrible Heart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I plan to sit next to you during every exam next week with a barely audible recording of the human heart playing incessantly. It will undoubtedly destroy your spirit and serve as a reminder of all of the hearts that you have broken here at MCW.

All together now, All together now!!!!!
Bom bom bom bom bom-pa bom
Sail the ship!
bom-pa bom
Chop the tree!
bom-pa bom
Skip the rope!
bom-pa bom
Look at me!!!!!!!!!

All together now!

You think you own whatever land you land on
The Earth is just a dead thing you can claim
But I know every rock and tree and creature
Has a life, has a spirit, has a name

You think the only people who are people
Are the people who look and think like you
But if you walk the footsteps of a stranger
You'll learn things you never knew you never knew

Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon
Or asked the grinning bobcat why he grinned?
Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains?
Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?
Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?

Come run the hidden pine trails of the forest
Come taste the sunsweet berries of the Earth
Come roll in all the riches all around you
And for once, never wonder what they're worth

The rainstorm and the river are my brothers
The heron and the otter are my friends
And we are all connected to each other
In a circle, in a hoop that never ends

How high will the sycamore grow?
If you cut it down, then you'll never know
And you'll never hear the wolf cry to the blue corn moon

For whether we are white or copper skinned
We need to sing with all the voices of the mountains
We need to paint with all the colors of the wind

You can own the Earth and still
All you'll own is Earth until
You can paint with all the colors of the wind

Agent Splat said:
You can own the Earth and still
All you'll own is Earth until
You can paint with all the colors of the wind

Can you paint with all the colors of the wind? I know I could... if I wanted to, I just don't want to. Does that mean I can't do it? No. Because, like a squirrel in the backyard frolicking amongst the trees I am interconnected with nature. (Or I will be when I go squirrel fishing, and there's a squirrel on the line.)

Someone was watching Disney...

Pochahontas. What a ... uh... good... movie.