Official MCW Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't been on here in about a month, and ... holy crap.

by the way, i sleep in til ~9:30 everyday, except for certain occasions. i've decided going to class is useless. esp when you have coops, audio, and powerpoints at your disposal.

Members don't see this ad.

akpete said:

by the way, i sleep in til ~9:30 everyday, except for certain occasions. i've decided going to class is useless. esp when you have coops, audio, and powerpoints at your disposal.

sssshhh!!!!!

This is an actual conversation that took place during the practice anatomy exam...sorry Pratik.

Pratik- "that ones easy, that the Renal Medulla"
Rob- "HAHAHA.....thats the heart you *******"

Members don't see this ad :)
Zman8602 said:
This is an actual conversation that took place during the practice anatomy exam...sorry Pratik.

Pratik- "that ones easy, that the Renal Medulla"
Rob- "HAHAHA.....thats the heart you *******"

Your left deltoid is in for a beating sucka.

pratik7 said:
Your left deltoid is in for a beating sucka.

No need to be mean. I swear, you guys are so dang violent.

Knock it off before I cut you all.

my deltoid still hurts from that flu shot!!!

Zman8602 said:
my deltoid still hurts from that flu shot!!!

pansy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when the bird flu comes you're going to be such a whiner.

You guys have all gone crazy. The cure: flip cup tournament.

akpete said:
You guys have all gone crazy. The cure: flip cup tournament.

People are still neglecting to tell me what the heckfire flip cup is. WHAT IS IT??????

Agent Splat said:
People are still neglecting to tell me what the heckfire flip cup is. WHAT IS IT??????

Flip cup is a drinking game where teams of 4-5 people line up on each side of a table with full cups of beer. The first person in line on each team slams his/her beer and then sets the empty cup on the edge of the table with part of the cup sticking over the edge. He/she tries to flick their cup so it flips upside-down and lands on its top. After he/she successfully flips his/her cup, the next person on the team may begin drinking their beer in order to attempt to flip their cup. The first team to have every member drink their beers and flip their cups wins.

There are also variations on this game like Survivor Flip-cup where the losing team must vote a member of their team off and continue to another round while still drinking that team member's beer and flipping that cup. You wind up with 1 person drinking all 4-5 beers during the last round.

Personally, I'm more of a beer pong or speed quarters man. :D

Andy15430 said:
Flip cup is a drinking game where teams of 4-5 people line up on each side of a table with full cups of beer. The first person in line on each team slams his/her beer and then sets the empty cup on the edge of the table with part of the cup sticking over the edge. He/she tries to flick their cup so it flips upside-down and lands on its top. After he/she successfully flips his/her cup, the next person on the team may begin drinking their beer in order to attempt to flip their cup. The first team to have every member drink their beers and flip their cups wins.

There are also variations on this game like Survivor Flip-cup where the losing team must vote a member of their team off and continue to another round while still drinking that team member's beer and flipping that cup. You wind up with 1 person drinking all 4-5 beers during the last round.

Personally, I'm more of a beer pong or speed quarters man. :D

I've played games that are twice as fun and involve no alcohol!!! but nobody would probably want to play ZipZapZop with me :(

"All downhill and easier after block 2"

MY WHITE ASS IT IS!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agent Splat said:
"All downhill and easier after block 2"

MY WHITE ASS IT IS!!!!

Those tests were definitely not a walk in the park, that's for sure. I'm pissed at myself for making some stupid mistakes, though. For some reason, I had it in my head that Tetralogy of Fallot includes pulmonary stenosis, RV hypertrophy, overriding aorta, and patent ductus arteriosis instead of a VSD. I hate it when I get "gimme" questions wrong.

Anyway, no time to dwell on it since I have about 2.5 weeks worth of Biochem to learn in T-45 hrs. :eek: Good luck studyin' to all.

Andy15430 said:
Those tests were definitely not a walk in the park, that's for sure. I'm pissed at myself for making some stupid mistakes, though. For some reason, I had it in my head that Tetralogy of Fallot includes pulmonary stenosis, RV hypertrophy, overriding aorta, and patent ductus arteriosis instead of a VSD. I hate it when I get "gimme" questions wrong.

Anyway, no time to dwell on it since I have about 2.5 weeks worth of Biochem to learn in T-45 hrs. :eek: Good luck studyin' to all.

Tell me about it ...i drew a blank on arcuate line question below the rectus sheath

:mad: There's one 13 hour study-day of Biochem down...only one more to go. Did I mention how much I love biochem?

DoctorFunk said:
:mad: There's one 13 hour study-day of Biochem down...only one more to go. Did I mention how much I love biochem?

we have an exam in biochem?????? crap.

I'm sorry, I must have misled you. We do not have an exam in Biochem coming up, instead we will be granted the opportunity to prove to our faculty that we have truly learned the oh-so-useful material they have deigned to teach us in their great wisdom. Because we all know that knowing how many NADPHs are used to make mevalonate from HMG-CoA will mean life or death for a patient come intern year.

For the record, the answer is 2. Always 2.

I Am Ornothoperbiopterin Decarboxylatransbamoylase I!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay everybody. Let's get realistic here and list our goals for the remainder of the semester.

Here are mine:

I've gotten progressively better grades on my anatomy lab exams, and I'd like to maintain that trend.

I've been passing all of my biochem exams, and I'd preferably like to maintain that as well.

Finally, I want to learn all the words to Real-2-Reel's "I Like to Move It."

And maybe sing a Meat Loaf song at the Chancery very soon.

one other thing...am i missing anybody on facebook? it's nerdy and dorky and it's sucking up my life but it's...fun....sigh.

You boys weren't kidding that you took over this thread. And for the record, Pratik, I will be 5'10" someday, and on that day, I'm going to beat you up.

That is all. :)

Splatdizzle fo shizzle,

Please post that AHAAAAHAAA cartoon link. I keep losing it. I need it to have a warm home... like here.

Rock out with your.... out.

:thumbup:

Xandie said:
You boys weren't kidding that you took over this thread. And for the record, Pratik, I will be 5'10" someday, and on that day, I'm going to beat you up.

That is all. :)

You would be lucky if you hit 5 feet :laugh: :p

/Rimshot

Ok Marc...if you want to learn the lyrics to that "move it" song, watch the movie Matagascar. Kim made me watch it a few hours ago and these squirrel guys sing it and dance to it 3 or 4 times in the movie. I've never seen a squirrel sing and dance before.

Zman8602 said:
Ok Marc...if you want to learn the lyrics to that "move it" song, watch the movie Matagascar. Kim made me watch it a few hours ago and these squirrel guys sing it and dance to it 3 or 4 times in the movie. I've never seen a squirrel sing and dance before.

Appreciate that...different version though! I'm workiing on it. I know most of the lyrics, the hard part is keeping up with Real-2-Reel.

Awesome movie.

Just out of curiosity, are you doing medical school online?

akpete said:

ULTRON said:
Just out of curiosity, are you doing medical school online?

Course not. I go to school depending on the class, time, lecturer, and topic. And I haven't missed a lab session yet.

online med school...that's just silliness. :laugh:

mcjay said:
Ummm, it was an edited Stiffler line "Rock out with your c@ck out, hang out with your w@ng out."

I'll let pratik know though. :laugh:

Jay

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

mcjay said:
Ummm, it was an edited Stiffler line "Rock out with your c@ck out, hang out with your w@ng out."

I'll let pratik know though. :laugh:

Jay

hrrmmm...i meant "out for lunch." yeah, that's it.

Agent Splat said:
hrrmmm...i meant "out for lunch." yeah, that's it.

Are you eating out? Is it a box lunch? (Innuendo?)

Speaking of box, I know that Agent has a special crush on a special lady teacher. :love: :love: :love: :love: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

mcjay said:
Are you eating out? Is it a box lunch? (Innuendo?)

Speaking of box, I know that Agent has a special crush on a special lady teacher. :love: :love: :love: :love: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You know who I love? The bus driver that shuttles us in from B lot every day.

Agent Splat said:
You know who I love? The bus driver that shuttles us in from B lot every day.

I cheat and park at one of the clinics. 5 min walk instead of 10, and I don't have to rely on your precious bus driver. ha ha. you suck.

lady teacher, huh...we haven't had too many of those, so i should be able to guess...

akpete said:
I cheat and park at one of the clinics. 5 min walk instead of 10, and I don't have to rely on your precious bus driver. ha ha. you suck.

lady teacher, huh...we haven't had too many of those, so i should be able to guess...

Some poor grandma probably has to walk extra far, exacerbating her peripheral edema to the point where she will die, because you took her parking spot at the clinic. Congratulations!

As for the bus...I have no problem with it. Actually it's more fun walking through Froedtert and Children's to get to class.

Agent Splat said:
Some poor grandma probably has to walk extra far, exacerbating her peripheral edema to the point where she will die, because you took her parking spot at the clinic. Congratulations!

As for the bus...I have no problem with it. Actually it's more fun walking through Froedtert and Children's to get to class.

actually, there's lots of spots open ~20. really inefficient(is that a word?) use of space. don't worry, grandma's okay.

and I have peripheral edema too, so ha.

I admit, I would probably park in B lot if I went to more class.

akpete said:
actually, there's lots of spots open ~20. really inefficient(is that a word?) use of space. don't worry, grandma's okay.

and I have peripheral edema too, so ha.

I admit, I would probably park in B lot if I went to more class.

WHAAAT! Fill me in on this clinic lot. NOW!!!! :D :D :D

I have no need for parking anymore.

Due to my good relationship with the Flight for Life program, they're going to airlift me to school every day and let me off on the roof.

Dangit, I'm sick.

Who's going to come take care of me? I'll pay you with my mom's homemade butterscotch bars.

im gonna get get get you drunk ...get you love drunk off my hump ...my lovely lady lumps

pratik7 said:
im gonna get get get you drunk ...get you love drunk off my hump ...my lovely lady lumps

MAKE YOU SCREAM MAKE YOU SCREAM!!!!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving my fellow MCW folk! Hope year one is treating you well. From the looks of things, you've at least found time to check SDN a couple (hundred) times a day. I check this thread every once in awhile so feel free to ask ?s that might come up (or PM me). Take care, y'all.

T

Hawkeye Kid said:
Happy Thanksgiving my fellow MCW folk! Hope year one is treating you well. From the looks of things, you've at least found time to check SDN a couple (hundred) times a day. I check this thread every once in awhile so feel free to ask ?s that might come up (or PM me). Take care, y'all.

T

ill through one out there ...how is second semester compared to the first? more or less interesting ...more or less difficult more or less class time ??

pratik7 said:
ill through one out there ...how is second semester compared to the first? more or less interesting ...more or less difficult more or less class time ??

Speaking as a 7th year med student at MCW, I've heard that it depends on your learning style/ability. If you're good at memorizing lots of random stuff, biochem is more your thing, but if you're good at seeing the big picture and applying trends, physiology is easier for you. Just what I've heard.

What about that dog lab stuff? What do we do in there?

Agent Splat said:
Speaking as a 7th year med student at MCW, I've heard that it depends on your learning style/ability. If you're good at memorizing lots of random stuff, biochem is more your thing, but if you're good at seeing the big picture and applying trends, physiology is easier for you. Just what I've heard.

What about that dog lab stuff? What do we do in there?

I've heard of the 5 year plan, but 7??? Have fun explaining that one to residency programs. :laugh:

1. Spring semester is probably harder than first, due almost entirely to phys. I also thought it was more interesting (despite being harder, phys is better than biochem) and you probably spend a comparable amount of time in class, I think. I had 2 semesters (including lab) of physiology in college and they exhausted my knowledge bank in about 4 lectures. The intimate understanding that you have to have with the material is unlike anything I had experienced to that point (and maybe since). Somewhat like biochem, most of the questions don't test your recall of info. They test your ability to apply it, sometimes 3, 4, 5 steps down the line, so you really have to get it rather than just being able to pull out an answer. The bottom line is that you absolutely cannot get behind in phys. The thing that helped me was taking the graphs in the text, drawing them, and making myself explain why the graph looked like it did. Also, this is a great class in which to utilize the tutors for several reasons: they can dumb it down for you, they can hopefully give you clinical examples that make it make sense, and they can clue you in to areas that traditionally trip people up. If Scott McEwen is tutoring, definitely hit up his sessions--he's a great guy and an awesome teacher.

The other stuff second semester is filler. Just get through CTB--it's not that hard if you put in a little time. Definitely the easiest class--think of it as devo in the spring. Neuro is a little out there at times, but I think it's being run better now than when I took it. The exams are reasonable and some of the teaching is good. Oh, and the neuro book is good if you want to do neuro, otherwise it's just a decent reference that you can check out once in awhile.

2. Despite what PETA would have you believe, the dog lab is awesome. you basically open up Fido and do different things to him to see how he responds from a cardiovascular/hemodynamic standpoint (drugs, caval occlusion, etc). Each group has a prof, so the teaching is pretty individualized. I also took this opportunity to clarify things from lecture that I didn't get since it was applicable to what we were doing (ie. what the dog just did seems different from this graph in Guyton...).

OK, I think that covers it. Now I'm gonna go back to having my dad prep me for interview season--there's no way that people are going to be as ruthless as him. :rolleyes:

It's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!
It's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!it's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!

Agent Splat said:
It's Called A Drinking Fountain!!!

It is a water fountain!!!!!!!

pratik7 said:

Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!Bubbler!