SFSU Postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caliguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to San Francisco State University postbac fall 2006? Also, has anyone gone through SFSU as a postbac student that has already finished their premed courses? Any suggestions as to which courses to take there (easy, hard ones)? Anything will help? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

caliguy said:
Anyone going to San Francisco State University postbac fall 2006? Also, has anyone gone through SFSU as a postbac student that has already finished their premed courses? Any suggestions as to which courses to take there (easy, hard ones)? Anything will help? Thanks!

i took immunology which was one of the best classes i've taken, but if is definitely not an easy A. i also took molecular genetics and that was ridiculously easy, but its not being taught by the same professor this fall.

generally, i thought the classes were easy in the sense that you know what to expect from the tests- you can basically gauge your performance based on how much you studied. i did my undergrad at berkeley, and sometimes you can study like crazy for a test and still get you ass kicked.

yay for sfsu post bac :)

finished my first semester and i'm going to be continuing this fall (for the next 2 years). I majored in bio so i'm definitely looking for upper div classes to boost my gpa. Here's what i know/heard about classes

- weinstein for immuno (whom marboonya was referring to) is teaching this coming fall
- heard that denetclaw for cell bio sucks (though i'm probably going to have to take it) b/c he can't convey information in a concise manner; the preferred prof for cell bio is Auleb who teaches in the spring
- Routman for Evolution: i heard is a pretty good/easy class (he teaches for both spring and fall)
- chu for molecular genetics: i heard she is pretty good teacher, and that b/c she's kinda young and sorta new... she still has a lot of excitement for teaching and for helping her students, pasion who i also heard was a really good professor for this class typically teaches as well... but she's on sabbatical for the year to finish up her research
- ramirez for virology (and microbial physio in the spring): i heard is a pretty demanding professor. definitely NOT an easy A, but a lot of people enjoy learning from him b/c he DEFINITELY makes you learn your material. I sat in on the first day of his microbial phy class and he has a really intense teaching style which i foresee could either make someone feel stressed out.. or well rewarded so long as they kept up with the class. He's a really good lecturer but i'd take caution when choosing to take any of his classes

- EASY A classes to the EXTREME:
* HIV/AIDs the modern epidemic w/ A. Auleb (not to be mistaken for the cell bio guy, she's his wife): class is computer based, w/ online quizzes you can retake over and over till you score a perfect
* Human Sexuality: is a completely an online course taught by Auleb
(A. Auleb is really passionate about her topic and is on the front lines of HIV activism which i think is really cool... but b/c the class is ridiculously easy, the structure of the class makes you lazy and at times made me feel like I was wasting my time... it's a big class that fulfills some university requirement, so you'll see people from all different majors which to a certain extent explains why it's structured the way it is. BUT in the end i got my "A" and i did learn something to a certain extent. i would definitely recommend taking one of her classes to boost up morale :p )
* Human Physiology Lecture w/ Sassi i heard is EXTREMELY easy as well... weekly quizzes and no midterms. she however is not teaching it this coming fall... Breckler is. and what i know about Breckler (i had her for vertebrate histology, which is also a good class, but is not necessarily an easy "A", though i heard she did 85% for an "A" when i took it) is that she is a great teacher (able to explain this really well), but she is at sometimes scattered.. i found myself correcting her at times. Physio is her phd, so she seems to really love it, so hopefully the class would be taught well.
* i also heard that endocrinology was really easy, i don't know with whom... but that's all i've heard

ok that's all i know, hope this helps. there are also other SFSU threads so you should definitely do a search. also, i decided to do a master's in cell and molecular bio starting this fall (though i'll be doing post bac work simultaneously) so if you wanna ask about that also... feel free :)

caliguy said:

Members don't see this ad :)
markboonya said:
i took immunology which was one of the best classes i've taken, but if is definitely not an easy A. i also took molecular genetics and that was ridiculously easy, but its not being taught by the same professor this fall.

generally, i thought the classes were easy in the sense that you know what to expect from the tests- you can basically gauge your performance based on how much you studied. i did my undergrad at berkeley, and sometimes you can study like crazy for a test and still get you ass kicked.

I did my undergrad at Berkeley also in mcb cdb. How did you go about picking which classes to take? If you know any other classes that would count in the BCPM that are easy let me know! Thanks.

alohadolphin15 said:
yay for sfsu post bac :)

finished my first semester and i'm going to be continuing this fall (for the next 2 years). I majored in bio so i'm definitely looking for upper div classes to boost my gpa. Here's what i know/heard about classes

- weinstein for immuno (whom marboonya was referring to) is teaching this coming fall
- heard that denetclaw for cell bio sucks (though i'm probably going to have to take it) b/c he can't convey information in a concise manner; the preferred prof for cell bio is Auleb who teaches in the spring
- Routman for Evolution: i heard is a pretty good/easy class (he teaches for both spring and fall)
- chu for molecular genetics: i heard she is pretty good teacher, and that b/c she's kinda young and sorta new... she still has a lot of excitement for teaching and for helping her students, pasion who i also heard was a really good professor for this class typically teaches as well... but she's on sabbatical for the year to finish up her research
- ramirez for virology (and microbial physio in the spring): i heard is a pretty demanding professor. definitely NOT an easy A, but a lot of people enjoy learning from him b/c he DEFINITELY makes you learn your material. I sat in on the first day of his microbial phy class and he has a really intense teaching style which i foresee could either make someone feel stressed out.. or well rewarded so long as they kept up with the class. He's a really good lecturer but i'd take caution when choosing to take any of his classes

- EASY A classes to the EXTREME:
* HIV/AIDs the modern epidemic w/ A. Auleb (not to be mistaken for the cell bio guy, she's his wife): class is computer based, w/ online quizzes you can retake over and over till you score a perfect
* Human Sexuality: is a completely an online course taught by Auleb
(A. Auleb is really passionate about her topic and is on the front lines of HIV activism which i think is really cool... but b/c the class is ridiculously easy, the structure of the class makes you lazy and at times made me feel like I was wasting my time... it's a big class that fulfills some university requirement, so you'll see people from all different majors which to a certain extent explains why it's structured the way it is. BUT in the end i got my "A" and i did learn something to a certain extent. i would definitely recommend taking one of her classes to boost up morale :p )
* Human Physiology Lecture w/ Sassi i heard is EXTREMELY easy as well... weekly quizzes and no midterms. she however is not teaching it this coming fall... Breckler is. and what i know about Breckler (i had her for vertebrate histology, which is also a good class, but is not necessarily an easy "A", though i heard she did 85% for an "A" when i took it) is that she is a great teacher (able to explain this really well), but she is at sometimes scattered.. i found myself correcting her at times. Physio is her phd, so she seems to really love it, so hopefully the class would be taught well.
* i also heard that endocrinology was really easy, i don't know with whom... but that's all i've heard

ok that's all i know, hope this helps. there are also other SFSU threads so you should definitely do a search. also, i decided to do a master's in cell and molecular bio starting this fall (though i'll be doing post bac work simultaneously) so if you wanna ask about that also... feel free :)

THANKS for all the info! The vertabrate histology class, did you have to take the lab? Also, the HIV/AIDS class and the human sexuality do they count in the BCPM or the AO section? And on a random note, do you know a psychology class that's easy but also is in the BCPM or if that's not teh case, any easy general psych class. THANKS!

Also, about how many units in a semester is a good course load to take? And where did you guys live, on campus, apt, and if apt where or how far from campus since I know housing in SF is expensive.

yes i had to take lab simultaneously. so you went to cal? go bears! :D did you take anatomy lab? cuz if you did... i can tell you how vert histo is compared to Cal's anatomy lab... it's sooooo much better at SFSU. at Cal, IB131L is BOTH anatomy and histology, which is difficult b/c there is SO much information. Consequently my grade sucked (i got a C+) and i HATED the histology section b/c it was so poorly taught. b/c vert histo at state is simply histology only, you get the chance to really know the material well, and I found it to be a lot easier b/c 1) the lecture/lab is in a really intimate (almost the entire class were UCSF post bacs too which was kinda cool) and 2) breckler likes to teach. I really liked my vert histo class and found that this second time around i was able to excel =) ... but that may also be because i now LOVE the subject and I used to do histo-techniques in my lab that i just recently quit (in the IB dept) in the springtime... vert histo is listed as a t/th 4.5 hour class. it really doesn't take that long at all, everyone gets out in about 2 hrs. so if you're concerned about maximizing units in the least amount of time... you could probably overlap another class during the latter portion of the class.

for HIV/AIDS and human sexuality: b/c they are listed as BIOL, thus in the biology dept... they're consiered part of your BCPM. i talked to barry rothman (the pre-med/post bac advisor about this b/c he was the one who originally recommended the class to me), and that is what he told me. One thing to be wary about, that another advisor of mine (who i actually trust very much)... is that you should mimic your years in post bac as though you were in medical school. the idea behind this, is that you're trying to prove to med schools that you are just as good academically as other med students... take home message: yay for "easy A" classes... take the bull**** ones so long as you accompany them with "hard core ones" that look good. if you find an "easy A" that looks damn good on paper (ie: that one physio class and maybe endo) ... even better

psych classes:... i don't think they're part of the BCPM... dont do it!!.. =P jk nah fer real.. prioritize taking upper div classes in the BIOL dept.. there's plenty to select from... esp in the fall.

caliguy said:
THANKS for all the info! The vertabrate histology class, did you have to take the lab? Also, the HIV/AIDS class and the human sexuality do they count in the BCPM or the AO section? And on a random note, do you know a psychology class that's easy but also is in the BCPM or if that's not teh case, any easy general psych class. THANKS!

alohadolphin15 said:
yes i had to take lab simultaneously. so you went to cal? go bears! :D did you take anatomy lab? cuz if you did... i can tell you how vert histo is compared to Cal's anatomy lab... it's sooooo much better at SFSU. at Cal, IB131L is BOTH anatomy and histology, which is difficult b/c there is SO much information. Consequently my grade sucked (i got a C+) and i HATED the histology section b/c it was so poorly taught. b/c vert histo at state is simply histology only, you get the chance to really know the material well, and I found it to be a lot easier b/c 1) the lecture/lab is in a really intimate (almost the entire class were UCSF post bacs too which was kinda cool) and 2) breckler likes to teach. I really liked my vert histo class and found that this second time around i was able to excel =) ... but that may also be because i now LOVE the subject and I used to do histo-techniques in my lab that i just recently quit (in the IB dept) in the springtime... vert histo is listed as a t/th 4.5 hour class. it really doesn't take that long at all, everyone gets out in about 2 hrs. so if you're concerned about maximizing units in the least amount of time... you could probably overlap another class during the latter portion of the class.

for HIV/AIDS and human sexuality: b/c they are listed as BIOL, thus in the biology dept... they're consiered part of your BCPM. i talked to barry rothman (the pre-med/post bac advisor about this b/c he was the one who originally recommended the class to me), and that is what he told me. One thing to be wary about, that another advisor of mine (who i actually trust very much)... is that you should mimic your years in post bac as though you were in medical school. the idea behind this, is that you're trying to prove to med schools that you are just as good academically as other med students... take home message: yay for "easy A" classes... take the bull**** ones so long as you accompany them with "hard core ones" that look good. if you find an "easy A" that looks damn good on paper (ie: that one physio class and maybe endo) ... even better

psych classes:... i don't think they're part of the BCPM... dont do it!!.. =P jk nah fer real.. prioritize taking upper div classes in the BIOL dept.. there's plenty to select from... esp in the fall.

I didn't take the lab cause i heard it was hard at cal but I took the lecture which was very easy. I'm thinking about a psych course cause some dentist schools which i may apply for require it and i heard that regardless of how a course is listed, if its description is "science" enough, then it may count. Yea, i know i'm supposed to take a heavy courseload to show med schools i can handle it so how many units u recommend? Also, do you know if i can take regular genetics and then molecular genetics or would that look like i retook the same course? Aslo, have you took cellular neuroscience taught by rothman and if so how is the difficulty of that class... in general are the classes a lot easier at sfsu compared to cal? wut was ur major at cal, i assume mcb or ib... :) thx for ur help

caliguy said:
I didn't take the lab cause i heard it was hard at cal but I took the lecture which was very easy. I'm thinking about a psych course cause some dentist schools which i may apply for require it and i heard that regardless of how a course is listed, if its description is "science" enough, then it may count. Yea, i know i'm supposed to take a heavy courseload to show med schools i can handle it so how many units u recommend? Also, do you know if i can take regular genetics and then molecular genetics or would that look like i retook the same course? Aslo, have you took cellular neuroscience taught by rothman and if so how is the difficulty of that class... in general are the classes a lot easier at sfsu compared to cal? wut was ur major at cal, i assume mcb or ib... :) thx for ur help

i was in the same situation, i took human genetics at cal and then took molec genetics at sfsu- its not retaking since genetics is actually a pre-req for molec genetics at sfsu. in terms of easiness, i think i said it in a post before, but the general thing i tell people when they ask me to compare sfsu with cal is this: sfsu classes seem predictable. the professors are not out to get you- the tests are very straight forward. this doesnt meen u can skip class and take it easy, but as long as you study (memorize) the material given to u, i gurantee u will get an A. I bascially attended every lecture, took great notes, then studied those notes and did practice tests/study questions. I never cracked open a single book. If you study with the same rigor you used at CAL, you will do well at sfsu.

oops, posting with my gf's sn. this is markboonya...

alohadolphin15 said:
i was in the same situation, i took human genetics at cal and then took molec genetics at sfsu- its not retaking since genetics is actually a pre-req for molec genetics at sfsu. in terms of easiness, i think i said it in a post before, but the general thing i tell people when they ask me to compare sfsu with cal is this: sfsu classes seem predictable. the professors are not out to get you- the tests are very straight forward. this doesnt meen u can skip class and take it easy, but as long as you study (memorize) the material given to u, i gurantee u will get an A. I bascially attended every lecture, took great notes, then studied those notes and did practice tests/study questions. I never cracked open a single book. If you study with the same rigor you used at CAL, you will do well at sfsu.

oops, posting with my gf's sn. this is markboonya...

Hey. I was wondering if I couldn't get into the classes that I wanted to get into, how difficult is it to get into the class if you go on the first day in general from your experiences? Also, do a lot of people drop classes before school starts, should i try to wait for an opening during open hours? Thanks.

are you open university or are you registered as second bac? (haha, btw this really IS alohadolphin15 and not markboonya =P )

caliguy said:
Hey. I was wondering if I couldn't get into the classes that I wanted to get into, how difficult is it to get into the class if you go on the first day in general from your experiences? Also, do a lot of people drop classes before school starts, should i try to wait for an opening during open hours? Thanks.

alohadolphin15 said:
are you open university or are you registered as second bac? (haha, btw this really IS alohadolphin15 and not markboonya =P )

i'm registered as a second bacc. Is there no waitlist for courses since I couldn't do that for any....

markboonya said:

word. i studied chemistry, and sometimes professors think we're geniuses so they make those tests hecka hard. wow, we're all cal alumnis. yea, cal was hard sometimes. i'm planning on going to sfsu this fall as well. maybe i'l see u guys. i'm going in as a open student since i needed my degree (i graduated in may). yea, as i was reading the series of post, i'm glad we can relate more or less. :laugh:

so, how many years are u guys planning on doing the post bacc program? also, are u guys doing informal or formal? what are ur experiences?

all the classes i took had a waitlist. the fact that you couldn't get on a waitlst probably means that the class is crazy full. :( it's actually pretty competitive to get into classes. i think all the Cal peeps jumped on the bandwagon and found out about how great sfsu post bac was or something b/c it's kinda ridiculous the class shopping you have to do during the first week of school.

don't get discouraged though. it's just like Cal where you have to just wait it out and keep attending the class until you get in

here's are some tips for the first few days of classes:

1) BRING MULTIPLE COPIES OF YOUR UCB TRANSCRIPT!
- professors are sticklers to prerequisites!!!! the FIRST thing they will tell you will be that if you don't have the prereqs you can't be in the class (which will actually open up room b/c people enrolled will have to drop)
- if you don't make a prerequisite, it's not yet the end of the world. SOME professors are "semi-lenient" ie: although cell bio was required to take developmental bio, she told me that the biochemistry class I took was sufficient enough).

2) you may want to PRINT OUT COURSE DESCRIPTIONS (from the ucb general catolog) for any of the classes you wish to use as a prereq. not all prof's want this, but some will especially when a class is full and the prof is trying to get rid of as many people as he/she can (ie: b/c microbio at Cal is listed as Public Health 162, the prof questioned it's validity as a biological science class and requested to see a course description)

3) if all is equal and you're simply competing for a space... DON'T GIVE UP (until maybe the 3rd wk of class). Also, e-mailing the prof saying how much your interested in the class after say 2 days of waiting might be helpful. I did this and the professor actually extended her class size simply to let me in!

4) although you're competing for a space... DON'T BE TOO PUSHY WITH THE PROFS!! professors will be on edge looking through transcripts and hearing the same stories about how someone really needs to be in the class, so simply be considerate yet assertive. and if you're trying to see if a similar class satisfies a pre-req, DON'T be snooty about it. (i heard some post bacs before trying to weasle out of pre-reqs to professors by saying, "but c'mon i majored in bio at berkeley" which i personally think sounds lame b/c it implies that sfsu is less of a school.

5) if you're class shopping for 2 different classes that occur at the same time and one of them happens to be a lab... it's probably more worth it to focus on getting into the lecture class. labs are harder to get into than lectures. a prof can always extend the class size of a lecture whereas a lab is limited to the actual number of stations there are in a lab bench. you can still try getting into the lab, especially if you're really interested in it and want to take it that bad... afterall, iprof breckler did extend her class size despite the lab being full simply to let me in.

6) if you're successful and a prof adds you to a class he/she will give you an "add sticker ** look for the sticker... YOU WANT A STICKER! and make sure to use it right away so you don't lose your spot

7) since you're a registered student KNOW YOUR SFSU ID # (it's 9 digits and it was e-mailed to you a long time ago)... this will make things easier!

8) **SET UP YOUR SFSU E-MAIL ACCOUNT!! even if you don't check it... you will need it to get wireless internet access on campus in case you have a laptop **

9) GET A STUDENT ID CARD both open university AND registered students can get one. You'll need it to use the computing center in the library

10) Library is 24 hours year round!! pretty cool huh... we didnt even get that at cal

It's pretty crazy... i swear that for the upper div bio classes at sfsu, at least half of the class are post bacs :p the bad thing about that is that it makes classes so much harder to get into.... the good thing is that once class gets rolling, the post bac people tend to be really friendly and great to study with b/c they empathize with your situation :)

ok that's all. sorry if this is long... let me know if you need any other words of wisdom

caliguy said:
i'm registered as a second bacc. Is there no waitlist for courses since I couldn't do that for any....

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO! It is very helpful to know this stuff before I go my first round of classes. I just have a few more questions.... about your masters. Did you have to take the gre to be admitted in the program? how long is it going to take you to finish? Do the classes overlap with upper div courses so that grades you get can count in your undergrad gpa? Do you know of any 1 year masters @ sfsu that you can take without a gre score? Again, thanks for all ur help.

alohadolphin15 said:
all the classes i took had a waitlist. the fact that you couldn't get on a waitlst probably means that the class is crazy full. :( it's actually pretty competitive to get into classes. i think all the Cal peeps jumped on the bandwagon and found out about how great sfsu post bac was or something b/c it's kinda ridiculous the class shopping you have to do during the first week of school.

don't get discouraged though. it's just like Cal where you have to just wait it out and keep attending the class until you get in

here's are some tips for the first few days of classes:

1) BRING MULTIPLE COPIES OF YOUR UCB TRANSCRIPT!
- professors are sticklers to prerequisites!!!! the FIRST thing they will tell you will be that if you don't have the prereqs you can't be in the class (which will actually open up room b/c people enrolled will have to drop)
- if you don't make a prerequisite, it's not yet the end of the world. SOME professors are "semi-lenient" ie: although cell bio was required to take developmental bio, she told me that the biochemistry class I took was sufficient enough).

2) you may want to PRINT OUT COURSE DESCRIPTIONS (from the ucb general catolog) for any of the classes you wish to use as a prereq. not all prof's want this, but some will especially when a class is full and the prof is trying to get rid of as many people as he/she can (ie: b/c microbio at Cal is listed as Public Health 162, the prof questioned it's validity as a biological science class and requested to see a course description)

3) if all is equal and you're simply competing for a space... DON'T GIVE UP (until maybe the 3rd wk of class). Also, e-mailing the prof saying how much your interested in the class after say 2 days of waiting might be helpful. I did this and the professor actually extended her class size simply to let me in!

4) although you're competing for a space... DON'T BE TOO PUSHY WITH THE PROFS!! professors will be on edge looking through transcripts and hearing the same stories about how someone really needs to be in the class, so simply be considerate yet assertive. and if you're trying to see if a similar class satisfies a pre-req, DON'T be snooty about it. (i heard some post bacs before trying to weasle out of pre-reqs to professors by saying, "but c'mon i majored in bio at berkeley" which i personally think sounds lame b/c it implies that sfsu is less of a school.

5) if you're class shopping for 2 different classes that occur at the same time and one of them happens to be a lab... it's probably more worth it to focus on getting into the lecture class. labs are harder to get into than lectures. a prof can always extend the class size of a lecture whereas a lab is limited to the actual number of stations there are in a lab bench. you can still try getting into the lab, especially if you're really interested in it and want to take it that bad... afterall, iprof breckler did extend her class size despite the lab being full simply to let me in.

6) if you're successful and a prof adds you to a class he/she will give you an "add sticker ** look for the sticker... YOU WANT A STICKER! and make sure to use it right away so you don't lose your spot

7) since you're a registered student KNOW YOUR SFSU ID # (it's 9 digits and it was e-mailed to you a long time ago)... this will make things easier!

8) **SET UP YOUR SFSU E-MAIL ACCOUNT!! even if you don't check it... you will need it to get wireless internet access on campus in case you have a laptop **

9) GET A STUDENT ID CARD both open university AND registered students can get one. You'll need it to use the computing center in the library

10) Library is 24 hours year round!! pretty cool huh... we didnt even get that at cal

It's pretty crazy... i swear that for the upper div bio classes at sfsu, at least half of the class are post bacs :p the bad thing about that is that it makes classes so much harder to get into.... the good thing is that once class gets rolling, the post bac people tend to be really friendly and great to study with b/c they empathize with your situation :)

ok that's all. sorry if this is long... let me know if you need any other words of wisdom

i am starting at sfsu this summer and a little new to the what kinda classes i could take. i saw the list that they have posted on their postbac website, but are we limited to those classes? I wanted to take a couple of public health classes and human sexuality. How do u know which classes will help improve the GPA for medical school?

Hi,
how is the grading system there

HI,
I'm actually new to this whole SDN network...and I'm just in search of answers from those who are going through post bac. After lots of researching I decided to apply for the informal post bac program at SFSU as a 2nd bac student. I'm just curious about the success rate for informal vs. formal. Am I making the right decision? I live in San Jose, and am willing to commute to SF everyday b/c it seems like the post bac program there has more opportunities compared to SJSU(is that true?). My GPA as an undergrad at UCSD was very low and so were my MCAT scores. I want to definitely boost my GPA (2.7 overall and 2.3 science) with post bac work and also retake MCAT by taking the Princeton review course this time. Should I start post bac at SFSU this summer or should I study and retake the MCATs befor fall starts? And with the GPA I have...how many courses do I really need to take for a good boost? (it seems hopeless!) What GPA do med schools look at or take into consideration? Do they look at my post bac work only? What classes should I take? I already have all the pre-reqs. needed. Thanks for any help at all!! I aprreciate it. and sorry for the millions of questions!

the formal post bac is for career changers who havnt taken the pre-reqs. plus its just a money maker with no extra perks compared to the informal program. DO NOT DO THE INFORMAL. its a waste of money.

i would start classes right away because u have a lot of gpa boosting to do. as for how many classes, u need to do the calculations based on how many units u already have. i would aim for 3.3 for MD schools regradless of how much u rock ur mcat. if u apply DO, a high mcat (>28)might make a 3.0 acceptable. take the easiest upper division bio courses possible.. med school adcoms have thousands of apps to look at, they are not going to look at individual classes on your transcript to see how hard ur bio classes were. human sexuality is known to be an easy A. there is a vibrant informal post bac community at sfsu. ask around to see what the easy A's are.

if u plan to take more than 9 units/semester, apply into sfsu as a second bac. that way u pay a flat tuition vs $/unit.

HI,
I'm actually new to this whole SDN network...and I'm just in search of answers from those who are going through post bac. After lots of researching I decided to apply for the informal post bac program at SFSU as a 2nd bac student. I'm just curious about the success rate for informal vs. formal. Am I making the right decision? I live in San Jose, and am willing to commute to SF everyday b/c it seems like the post bac program there has more opportunities compared to SJSU(is that true?). My GPA as an undergrad at UCSD was very low and so were my MCAT scores. I want to definitely boost my GPA (2.7 overall and 2.3 science) with post bac work and also retake MCAT by taking the Princeton review course this time. Should I start post bac at SFSU this summer or should I study and retake the MCATs befor fall starts? And with the GPA I have...how many courses do I really need to take for a good boost? (it seems hopeless!) What GPA do med schools look at or take into consideration? Do they look at my post bac work only? What classes should I take? I already have all the pre-reqs. needed. Thanks for any help at all!! I aprreciate it. and sorry for the millions of questions!

Hi,
how is the grading system there, and do you recommend this program if your Science GPA is over 3.9? Am I better off doing a one-year MPH or Masters?

with that high of a gpa, i think u should just study and rock the mcats. congrats on the near perfect gpa!

Hello,
I will be started the post bac this summer. I am hoping that someone could tell me a little about the professors there. Which classes to take and who are good?
Thank You