What is/are your backup plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harley comic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know its too early, but we hope for the best but prepare for the worst, so what is/are your plan B ?

Master in Public health = First choice
Master w/t thesis in Bio = 2nd
Dental Hygene = 3rd
Get married and have 4 children :)

Members don't see this ad.

:D
well apply to medical school. duh! everyone knows that if you can't make it as a dentist you can always settle and be a doctor. It pays a little less, but you get lots of respect!

yay!

but seriously, my plan B is doing a post bach program and then reapply for the next cycle. If it still wont work out, I'll become a dental equipment sales reps. They have a pretty good expense account, plus you get free lunch and dinners when you take the dentists out to convince them to buy your products. Pretty sweet! and if you developed good relationships with your clients, maybe they will even let you extract a couple of teeth every now and then to quench your thirst to do some dental -things..
:)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :p

I am very interested in other's thoughts...I was actually thinking about this today.

A Dental school 2009/Reapply for 2010

B Since I already have my BSN and actually love what I do, but am looking for a terminal career move...then I think I might move out of Labor and Delivery into Critical Care for a year, then apply to nurse anesthesia...become a CRNA.

C Keep working in Labor and Delivery.

D Long shot...dental hygiene

Members don't see this ad :)
I know its too early, but we hope for the best but prepare for the worst, so what is/are your plan B ?

Re-apply. Work for the year saving up more money for dental school

Ha ha
You guys are funny, but I thought those who didnt make their ways to Med schools end up in Dent schools, and those who fail to get in Dent go to Pharm schools, or nursing. I didnt think about becoming doctors. Cheese! you right, lots of respect. :)

Yeah, re-apply, but schools are going to look at your application and said, this guy didnt do anything for the whole year but study for the DAT. Maybe it wouldnt be a good thing.

Freak out big time for about 2 or 3 weeks. Be entirely selfish and assume that other people care about my situation, particularly if I get into dental school or not. Then I will post on SDN how it is "not fair" and that is all the adcom's fault and none of my own. I will make sure to use plenty of smiley faces when showing my discontent. :( :eek: :thumbdown: :eek: :( :scared: :eek: :thumbdown: :( :eek:

During this time I will fail to see that it is my own fault for getting a sub-par 3.1 overall with a 2.89 BCP and a 16 in QR with my AA of 19, but the dental schools should have noticed my 25 in bio (and ignored my 17 in chemistry). Afterall, why doesn't the ADCOM see what a great person I am and know that I really want to be a dentist with my 30 hours of shadowing?

Throughout the year I will probably waste more time on SDN instead of bettering myself. I'll probably forget to volunteer in the community while I (insincerely) take a Master's without thesis in some marginally dental related topic, but plan to drop out if I can get into dental school the next cycle.

I'll probably continue to post on SDN "what are my chances" type of threads with my crappy DAT score instead of using the time to study, and I will not realize that the students who got in worked very hard and deserved to get into dental school.

I will continue to ask questions that can be answered by simply reading the instructions, and forget to look at the dental school websites and the intuitive AADSAS website and instead trusting SDN to tell me which schools need what materials when applying.

Then I will continue to look for the fastest and easiest way to get what I want, and be constantly trying to scam the system and cut as many corners as I possibly can without actually learning anything or growing as a person.

In short, I just will not "get it."

That's my backup plan. How does it sound? ;-)

my backup plan, if I do not get into dental school

just kidding, I'll try to work i guess

Freak out big time for about 2 or 3 weeks. Be entirely selfish and assume that other people care about my situation, particularly if I get into dental school or not. Then I will post on SDN how it is "not fair" and that is all the adcom's fault and none of my own. I will make sure to use plenty of smiley faces when showing my discontent. :( :eek: :thumbdown: :eek: :( :scared: :eek: :thumbdown: :( :eek:

During this time I will fail to see that it is my own fault for getting a sub-par 3.1 overall with a 2.89 BCP and a 16 in QR with my AA of 19, but the dental schools should have noticed my 25 in bio (and ignored my 17 in chemistry). Afterall, why doesn't the ADCOM see what a great person I am and know that I really want to be a dentist with my 30 hours of shadowing?

Throughout the year I will probably waste more time on SDN instead of bettering myself. I'll probably forget to volunteer in the community while I (insincerely) take a Master's without thesis in some marginally dental related topic, but plan to drop out if I can get into dental school the next cycle.

I'll probably continue to post on SDN "what are my chances" type of threads with my crappy DAT score instead of using the time to study, and I will not realize that the students who got in worked very hard and deserved to get into dental school.

Then I will continue to look for the fastest and easiest way to get what I want, and be constantly trying to scam the system and cut as many corners as I possibly can without actually learning anything or growing as a person.

In short, I just will not "get it."

That's my backup plan. How does it sound? ;-)

That pretty much describes my plan. I'm starting to question whether I'm ever going to "get it" or not. So the question then is, how does one who does not "get it" go about changing their behavior. I've been struggling with trying to figure out how to change my behavior for years, but am not having very much success. Is it about motivation? Discipline? I really don't know how to change things. I keep thinking things are getting better but then I get my mid term grades and realize nothing has changed. It is so frustrating. But I won't give up, no matter how long it takes, and how much money it costs.

That pretty much describes my plan. I'm starting to question whether I'm ever going to "get it" or not. So the question then is, how does one who does not "get it" go about changing their behavior. I've been struggling with trying to figure out how to change my behavior for years, but am not having very much success. Is it about motivation? Discipline? I really don't know how to change things. I keep thinking things are getting better but then I get my mid term grades and realize nothing has changed. It is so frustrating. But I won't give up, no matter how long it takes, and how much money it costs.

maybe its a little bit of both. Discipline goes hand in hand with motivation. Change your study habits. If you cant study at home with the noisy roommate, the library is an excellent substitute. if it takes you 8 hours to go through material that it takes others 5 hours, so what? study for the 8 hours and make it work. Spend all day gaming? cut that down a bit. look at the big picture. where you are and where you want to go, than make the necessary changes needed to get there.

i can sit here and tell you what you should do, but its ultimately up to you to snap yourself out of the funk you're stuck in. we all struggle with this in some way or another (trust me, I have been there). Instead of moping about it, be constructive and work at it! there are enough people on this forum alone that dug themselves out of a deep ditch. they worked hard at it and came through on the flip side. it's all about you. unless you are ready and willing to make some changes, it makes no difference.

as for money? that's a mighty motivational factor all on its own. :laugh:

I personally plan on opening a potato farm in Idaho. I know there are already alot of potato farms but think of how many poeple eat them. You can have them with anything and prepare them a million ways.

The lifestyle will be a little different than dentistry, but I think there are a lot of similarities. You can still have "assistants" or as we call them "byu grads".
You can still meet a ton of new friends at the national potato conventions.

Dentistry is number one, but I am prepared to run a farm if need be.

I don't know man, but I sincerely appreciate you not freaking out and pulling the typical SDN response.

The biggest thing is stripping away what is not important in acheiving your goals. If strong GPA and a high DAT is important to you, then take away extranous distractions. Unfortunately, if you're not used to being a top student it will take even more work (and even less on your plate) until you get used to doing really well. That sucks, but unfortunately that is how it is. I know I did not have as much fun as my friends in college, because I was studying and working really hard. I still managed to have fun, but there certainly were tradeoffs.

My advice, and please recognize that it is simply my advice given over the internet to you with very few details of your actual situation is to do this:

1) scale back your course load to managable amounts. This is a personal decision, and you need to be honest with yourself and not worry about what other people are doing.

2) focus on one or two things, and do them really well. If you are doing school, then just do school. If you are doing the DAT, then just study for the DAT (e.g. summertime)

3) Break things down into little chunks. Do not worry about if other people have heavier courseloads or are doing things differently. Focus on yourself.

3b) recognize that things usually take longer than planned, so give yourself less things to do, and more time to do them, and focus on doing your best, generally speaking.

4) perhaps watch and observe students you look up to, and see if you can adopt some of their habits. Recognize that many of their habits will not be compatible with you, as we're all different, so do not spend too much time on #4. Picking up 1 or 2 really good habits from someone else I would consider to be a huge win.

5) still take some time off to have fun, pursue hobbies, etc. For example, I like to exercise, so I make a minimum 30 minutes a day to do so. It helps keep my brain fresh. Sometimes I have to miss, such as the week before the DAT, but I still make time to do the things I enjoy. Helps keep me happy, going, and living life.

So I hope that helps. PM me if you have any other questions or stuff. Good luck with your applications.

i can sit here and tell you what you should do, but its ultimately up to you to snap yourself out of the funk you're stuck in. we all struggle with this in some way or another (trust me, I have been there). Instead of moping about it, be constructive and work at it! there are enough people on this forum alone that dug themselves out of a deep ditch. they worked hard at it and came through on the flip side. it's all about you. unless you are ready and willing to make some changes, it makes no difference.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Good post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I think I just need to continue pushing myself into an environment in which I can focus most of my time and effort on school. I think part of my problem all along has been living at home to save money rather than paying for housing, but that has also put me at a distance from the academic community and left me to deal with all the drama and distractions of living at home. I think my best bet since I only have 1.5 years until I graduate is to finish up my 2 degrees (bio + psych) and then get into a masters/postbac somewhere that requires me to move away so I can focus hard on rocking that.

Ps...I wouldn't know a potato farm if I saw one. I live in the city. Very funny though.

Pss...I know nothing about gaming, although my avatar seems to perhaps imply differently.

Thanks!

I don't know man, but I sincerely appreciate you not freaking out and pulling the typical SDN response.

The biggest thing is stripping away what is not important in acheiving your goals. If strong GPA and a high DAT is important to you, then take away extranous distractions. Unfortunately, if you're not used to being a top student it will take even more work (and even less on your plate) until you get used to doing really well. That sucks, but unfortunately that is how it is. I know I did not have as much fun as my friends in college, because I was studying and working really hard. I still managed to have fun, but there certainly were tradeoffs.

My advice, and please recognize that it is simply my advice given over the internet to you with very few details of your actual situation is to do this:

1) scale back your course load to managable amounts. This is a personal decision, and you need to be honest with yourself and not worry about what other people are doing.

2) focus on one or two things, and do them really well. If you are doing school, then just do school. If you are doing the DAT, then just study for the DAT (e.g. summertime)

3) Break things down into little chunks. Do not worry about if other people have heavier courseloads or are doing things differently. Focus on yourself.

3b) recognize that things usually take longer than planned, so give yourself less things to do, and more time to do them, and focus on doing your best, generally speaking.

4) perhaps watch and observe students you look up to, and see if you can adopt some of their habits. Recognize that many of their habits will not be compatible with you, as we're all different, so do not spend too much time on #4. Picking up 1 or 2 really good habits from someone else I would consider to be a huge win.

5) still take some time off to have fun, pursue hobbies, etc. For example, I like to exercise, so I make a minimum 30 minutes a day to do so. It helps keep my brain fresh. Sometimes I have to miss, such as the week before the DAT, but I still make time to do the things I enjoy. Helps keep me happy, going, and living life.

So I hope that helps. PM me if you have any other questions or stuff. Good luck with your applications.

Great advice.

Great advice.

Thanks man. People rag on me a little bit in other posts, but I think whatever I say is fair and objective to the situation.

The above is what I would recommend. Hopefully it helps some students get into dental school. Personally I think #1, #3b and #5 are the most important, in that order.

Becomes the primetime headline news of a police chase to get some extracurricular community service time :D

Becomes the primetime headline news of a police chase to get some extracurricular community service time :D

hhahahahah! that's such a good idea. you're going to make a brilliant dentist one day =)

p.s. i think backup plans are for the un-driven, easy giver-uppers (how do you like that english?). keep trying until you finally reach where you have been working towards for the past several years. we've all worked too hard to settle for something like medicine.....please! :rolleyes: :p

hhahahahah! that's such a good idea. you're going to make a brilliant dentist one day =)

p.s. i think backup plans are for the un-driven, easy giver-uppers (how do you like that english?). keep trying until you finally reach where you have been working towards for the past several years. we've all worked too hard to give up and settle with something like medicine.....please! :rolleyes: :p

haha, seriously. if at first you don't succeed, try, try again...spend another year doing post-bac, maybe trying your hand at a masters, gaining work/research experience, polishing up the application, retaking the DAT, WHATEVER YOU NEED TO DO to get to D1.

never give up, never surrender!

:D
well apply to medical school. duh! everyone knows that if you can't make it as a dentist you can always settle and be a doctor. It pays a little less, but you get lots of respect!

crazy funny...lol...you never know though. with the current state of affairs in the practice of medicine in the u.s, maybe med-school will become plan b for some people...lol....

I plan to work in a candy shop. I'll definitely brighten some smiles. . . just like dentistry does, but in a different way. I can brag to dental admissions when I re-apply that I've contributed $$$$ to the dental profession.

I personally plan on opening a potato farm in Idaho. I know there are already alot of potato farms but think of how many poeple eat them. You can have them with anything and prepare them a million ways.

The lifestyle will be a little different than dentistry, but I think there are a lot of similarities. You can still have "assistants" or as we call them "byu grads".
You can still meet a ton of new friends at the national potato conventions.

Dentistry is number one, but I am prepared to run a farm if need be.

Ask, and ye shall receive.

1162098094589.gif

egggggcellent! you will be promoted in no time at this rate!@

true, he was all over that like stank on poop

I haven't laughed that hard and that out loud in a long long time.

repeat threads blow! Until ihd gets them....

lol, IHD, a bit feisty tonight. Your backup career should be an SDN comedian/illustrator or . . . We'll see what Gavin says:hardy: