master's vs PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychinterest

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I also have other questions...is it really better (more money) to get your PsyD instead of your Masters? I've heard that the payoff is just somuch greater...

Also, what about becoming a Mental Health Counselor as opposed to getting a PsyD? What are the benefits/downfalls of each? I've heard that mental health counselors don't make that much money (only around $30,000..)

I'd appreciate any help! I also posted a different thread asking about going right to grad school from undergrad or working first. I don't think I'm aware of all of the options that are open.

Members don't see this ad.

I also have other questions...is it really better (more money) to get your PsyD instead of your Masters? I've heard that the payoff is just somuch greater...

Also, what about becoming a Mental Health Counselor as opposed to getting a PsyD? What are the benefits/downfalls of each? I've heard that mental health counselors don't make that much money (only around $30,000..)

I'd appreciate any help! I also posted a different thread asking about going right to grad school from undergrad or working first. I don't think I'm aware of all of the options that are open.

I'll try to help out as much as I can, but I'm not really the best in mind to asnwer the questions. with that said, i'm going for mental health counseling and with the research i've done on it, i've found that the income is determined by what you do w/ your license. you can work at a university and get a salary, you can have your own private practice, work in a hospital, etc. the job is what you make of it. i don't know much about psyD so i can't really comment on that, but hopefully i helped out a bit; we're all in this together so good luck.

Apples and oranges comparison. I'll address some of the basic stuff, and others can go from there.

First off, doctoral training is far great in breadth and depth. MHC is based in COUNSELING theory, and a PsyD is based in CLINICAL theory. They have different ways of looking at things, different ethical standards (though the same in general), different licensures, etc.

Because MHC training is 2ish years of classes, the work tends to be more applied, and does not spend as much time on the in depth theory or research. It is meant for people who want to learn the practical knowledge, and don't want to get into the research, assessment, etc that is involved in doctoral training.

The PsyD has far more focus on theory and research, in addition to clinical training. PhDs and PsyD's tend to different in the number of research and statistics classes, but all of the other classes are the same. Doctoral degrees are a full time 70+ hour /wk for 6-7 years commitment, and tends to be an all or nothing venture....you either are totally into it, or you are not. MHC's tend to be a bit more flexible with the schedule, and don't require people to drop everything they are doing to pursue the degree. They are much more friendly for second career options.

Assessment is a HUGE difference. I've probably had at least half a dozen classes that involve assessment (intelligence, projective, objective, behavioral, etc), and spent hundred/thousands of hours learning and working with them. This is a BIG area of clinical psychology, and if you don't like them, the a PsyD probably isn't for you.

Salary is what you make of it. If you go the private practice route (cash pay), you can charge what the market can handle. If you go the insurance route, you are limited by what the panel sets as the amounts. Licensing at the doctoral level will reimburse more (and differently) than a Masters level. I know both doctoral and masters level people who do VERY WELL in their private practice, but that tends to have more to do with their business ability and willingness to build their practices.

Okay....back to my work. I'm sure others can talk about the benefits / downfalls.

-t