Post your schools 2003 matchlist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, Downstate has a great matchlist! I don't have Tufts with me right now but will try to recount what I can. By location, about 27 students matched into Tufts-affiliated programs (NEMC mostly, Tufts-FP in Malden, Baystate, Eastern ME, and Lahey), 15 into Harvard-affiliated programs (MGH, BID, Brigham and Women's), 8 at UCLA, 6 at BU, 6 military matches, 5 U Conn, 5 Yale, 5 Brown, 4 Einstein/Montefiore, 4 Columbia-Presbyterian, 4 Cornell, 4 Jefferson, 3 U Mass, 3 UCSF, 3 Dartmouth (2 DMS-FP), 3 each at UCI + UCD, 2 each at Wash U, USC, U Pitt, U Penn, UMDNJ, U Colorado, Miami, Cedars-Sinai (LA) and U Rochester, and 1 each at JHU, UVA, Georgetown, Cleveland Clinic, Finch/CMS, Emory, SUNY Brooklyn, SUNY Stonybrook, Iowa, and U Mich. That's all I remember, but gives an idea of some of the places people like to go from TUSM. We had 10 matches in Diagnostic Radiology and a lot of ER matches as well..

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by irlandesa
Wow, Downstate has a great matchlist!

No, STANFORD has a great match list.

I don't have the energy to post it (and it isn't online), but I'd be happy to answer any questions about the Hopkins match.

http://www.nymc.edu/admit/Medical/info/Match2003.asp

though not a well-ranked med school, the match list looks stellar.

hi doepug, how's hopkins 3rd yr treatin ya? not so bad i must assume since u got time to chill on sdn.net.. lol i'm sure you're just tearing it down there.

i saw jhu som matchlist, and it's about 1 level above stanford's. btw, 2 q's:

1. is Tarver-Carr, Michelle a mstp?

2. no derm matches this yr.. do u know how many applied? why are derm matches so low at jhu?

Yeah, this year's match pretty much rocked, with one exception...

1. is Tarver-Carr, Michelle a mstp?

I think she got a PhD through Public Health.

2. no derm matches this yr.. do u know how many applied? why are derm matches so low at jhu?

That's the stinker. We were 0 for 2 in derm this year, and lots of people (including plenty of bigwigs) are hopping mad at the department for not doing a better job of supporting their applicants, especially since there were only two of them.

Aside from derm, the "competitive" fields (rads, rad onc, neurosurg, ENT, ophtho, etc) matched 100% at awesome programs, which is encouraging news for this aspiring radiologist. Derm is the oddball... go figure.

Originally posted by ******
No, STANFORD has a great match list.

I meant Downstate has a great matchlist considering that it isn't up with Stanford in terms of reputation (neither is my school though). NYMC and Finch were also much better than one might expect, BU's is good as well and not surprisingly similar to Tufts. Minnesota gets the award for matching students in-state and in the U of M system (as I imagine is the student preference).

Originally posted by pba
http://webcampus.med.drexel.edu/osa/careeradvising/matchday.asp

this years stuff aint up yet.

-pba

First off, I didn't realize that Drexel/MCP Hahnemann had such a large class!

The top ten residencies from that class last year:

Specialty, # Placements (% of Total)
Internal Medicine, 39 (15.3%)
Medicine-Preliminary, 27 (10.6%)
Transitional, 21 (8.2%)
Pediatrics, 18 (7.1%)
Anesthesiology, 17 (6.7%)
Obstetrics-Gynecology, 17 (6.7%)
Family Practice, 14 (5.5%)
General Surgery, 14 (5.5%)
Emergency Medicine, 11 (4.3%)
Radiology-Diagnostic, 10 (3.9%)

These ten represent 3/4ths of their placements last year. Students placed at 124 different institutions. Twenty-seven (27) of the 255, representing 10.6% of the class, stayed at MCP Hahnemann. Eleven (11) of the 255, , representing 4.3% of the class, went to Thomas Jefferson. The rest of the top fourteen institutions where students were placed were Allegheny Gen Hosp-PA , Christiana Care-DE, Crozer-Chester Med-PA, Lankenau Hospital-PA, Univ Maryland Med Ctr-MD, Abington Mem Hosp-PA, Albert Einstein Med-PA, Mayo Grad SOM-MN, St Christophers Hosp-PA, Temple Univ Hosp-PA, U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY, and University of Virginia-VA. These institutions placed four (4) or more graduating students in their program. The remaining 110 placed three (3) or less, with 70 students going to separate, scattered programs.

Why am I posting this? Am I that much of a geek? Do I have too much time on my hands?

I'm illustrating at least one way that these data could be presented in a more meaningful summarization rather than just by listing individual programs. I think lists are fine, but I'd also like to routinely such a summarization posted on websites. Perhaps this data presented this way already exists somewhere on the web or in a publication (of which, I'm currently not aware). But I think that - since such a heavy emphasis is placed by some students relating to the perceived prestige of their medical program and may, in fact, be a determining factor in where certain students matriculate - it should be readily accesible. If it's already out there and someone knows where it can be found posted in a such a format, please point me to it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, Downstate has a great matchlist! I don't have Tufts with me right now but will try to recount what I can. By location, about 27 students matched into Tufts-affiliated programs (NEMC mostly, Tufts-FP in Malden, Baystate, Eastern ME, and Lahey), 15 into Harvard-affiliated programs (MGH, BID, Brigham and Women's), 8 at UCLA, 6 at BU, 6 military matches, 5 U Conn, 5 Yale, 5 Brown, 4 Einstein/Montefiore and LI Jewish, 4 Columbia-Presbyterian, 4 Cornell (Queens and NY Presbyterian), 4 Jefferson, 3 U Mass, 3 UCSF, 3 Dartmouth (2 DMS-FP), 3 each at UCI + UCD, 2 each at Wash U, USC, U Pitt, U Penn, UMDNJ, U Colorado, Miami, Cedars-Sinai (LA) and U Rochester, and 1 each at JHU, UVA, Georgetown, Cleveland Clinic, Finch/CMS, Emory, SUNY Brooklyn, St. Vincents (NY), SUNY Stonybrook, Albany, Iowa, and U Mich. That's all I remember, but gives an idea of some of the places people like to go from TUSM. We had 10 matches in Diagnostic Radiology and a lot of ER matches as well..

OK, the top individual hospitals for Tufts were:
1)Tufts-New England Medical Center-14
2) University of California, Los Angeles-8
3) Beth Israel Deaconess/Harvard-7
4) Boston University Medical Center-6
5) MGH-6
7) Yale-5
8) Brown-5
9) U Conn-5
10) Eastern ME Medical Center-5
11) Columbia-NY Presbyterian-4
12) TJU Hospital (incl. Dupont Childrens)-4
13) U Cal-San Francisco-3
14) Einstein-Montefiore-3
15) U Mass Medical Center-Worcester-3
16) UC-Irvine Medical Center-3
17) UC Davis Medical Center-3
18) Baystate Medical Center, Springfield-3

I have the 2003 Hopkins matchlist... at first I was going to post it here but then I realized it was in table format and didnt want to screw around with reformatting everything so it would like neat on this page.

So I uploaded the matchlist to my website instead.

Here is the link: 2003 Hopkins matchlist

wow...very impressive hopkins matchlist! any word from upenn's matchlist?

Someone matched at the University of Toronto? Interesting, nice to know it's possible at least (I'm assuming he's a Canadian citizen who may well have done undergrad there). Too bad McGill's likely to be in a (hopefully temporary) mess once I graduate due to the planned hospital mergers...

Thanks for the lists btw! FYI, Temple's already posted on the first link in this thread.

hello,

does anyone have michigan and/or duke's match list? Im deciding between those schools right now
thanks!

Standoc

I'm adding my voice to filmdoc... anyone have UPenn? I've googled for it like twice and nothing doing...

cheers,

Tom

I meant Downstate has a great matchlist considering that it isn't up with Stanford in terms of reputation (neither is my school though). NYMC and Finch were also much better than one might expect, BU's is good as well and not surprisingly similar to Tufts. Minnesota gets the award for matching students in-state and in the U of M system (as I imagine is the student preference).

Well, I figured as much. Just trying to state the obvious for my own silly benefit.

But honestly, Downstate's match list in the past has been a little more impressive than this year's. Dunno why, but I believe this is the consensus within my class.

As for NYMC, they always have a much-much-better-than-expected match list. No surprise there, although I think this year's was even better than the usual.

Here is my condensed version of USC's match list. We don't post it online. I was shocked by how well we did (5/6 derms)

Derm (5)
UCLA
King/Drew
NY Med
USC
USC

Otolaryngology (5)
Univ of Miami
USC
USC
USC
U conn

Neuro Surgery (1)
USC (This guy is amazing in real life)

Plastic Surg (2)
UCSF
USC

Orthopedics (7)
USC
USC
UC Irvine
SUNY Brooklyn
USC
Harbor-UCLA
Univ of Chicago

Ophthalmology (2)
USC
Wayne

Middle range stuff. Not going to list the schools. We had 14 Surgeries not counting the above people. 9 Radiology matches. 9 Emergency medicine matches.

And here is a list of everybody who didn't match in california that isn't a high profile field (all ones listed above.)

Gen Surg- Phoenix
Internal Med- UNC
Med Prelim- Cincinatti
Internal Med- Mount Sinai
Gen Surgery- Las Vegas
Internal Med- Univ of colorado
Psychiatry/neurology- NYU
OBGYN- Rochester
Internal Med- Barnes-Jewish Hospital, STL
Neurology- Case Western
Internal Med- Baylor
Anesthesiology- Wash Univ
Peds- Tulane
Neurology- UConn
Peds- Childrens Hospital Boston
Neurology- Baylor
Anesthesiology - U of Virginia
Medicine- Prelim - St. Lukes
Med- Prelim- UNC
Med- Prelim- Yale

So it looks like 10% of the class matched outside of california in a non-competative specialty, which is pretty good. Everything else really speaks for itself. I think it was a pretty good year overall.

jalby,
what's the avg debt for usc grads?

Originally posted by chef
jalby,
what's the avg debt for usc grads?

Havn't the foggiest idea. I'd guess it would be up there.

Tuition is 36K (5K more than your school charges for out of staters)

My rent is 450$ a month (But absolutely love the area. Best place I've lived to date)

I'm sure everything else would be the same as your school.

Did find something unrelated that I found very interesting. This was from two years ago, talking about how we wanted to increase the amount of NIH research $$$ here:

http://www.usc.edu/hsc/info/pr/1vol7/725/keck.html

We went from 109$ million a year to a current total of 149$ million this year.

The website estimates my total cost will be ~207K.

This is the best I could come up with. 143K debt by their numbers. http://www.usc.edu/schools/medicine/school/offices/dean/ec/archive/fec011200.html

Mr. Jay Gladstein and Ms. Chi Lee presented data showing that USC ranks as the 5th most expensive medical school nationally. Mr. Gladstein reported that this issue has a serious impact on the School's reputation. An article in the Los Angeles Times in November described the enormous debt that medical school graduates incur. Mr. Gladstein presented a graph showing that the average debt for a medical school student at graduation was $119,000 in 1998; this amount is increasing by approximately $6,000 annually.

wow...8% of Harvard's class going into derm!?! it's nice to see the best and brighest in the nation going into this field of medicine. more power to them i guess.

Yes, all that intelligence and effort devoted to the popping of pimples. God bless America. :)

Originally posted by ******
Yes, all that intelligence and effort devoted to the popping of pimples. God bless America. :)

So true, so true.

Hey All-

I've been putting the school match lists up on my (now really old school looking) site here:

http://www.mcwmd.com/a/matchlist.htm

Anyone else with matchlists? I'll put them up. Thanks.

here is penn's matchlist... i copied it out of a table so the format may be a little screwy... can anyone comment (signficantly better or worse) on this matchlist compared to hopkins' list?... hopkins looks a little better to me but i honestly don't know much about residency programs...

Specialty
# of Students
Program Name
Anesthesia
UC San Diego Medical Ctr.- CA (Lehigh Valley Hospital-PA PGY 1)

U Colorado SOM-Denver (Kaiser Permanente-SF-CA)

Dermatology
Thomas Jefferson Univ.-PA (Pennsylvania Hospital ? PGY 1)

NYU School of Medicine-NY (B I Deaconess Med Ctr.-MA ?PGY 1)

U Iowa Hosp/Clinic-Iowa City (U Nebraska Affil Hosp. PGY 1)

(3)Hospital of the Univ. of Pennsylvania (Albert Einstein Med.-PA ?PGY 1)

(Hospital of the Univ. of Pennsylvania-PGY 1)

(Pennsylvania Hospital ?PGY 1)

Emergency Medicine
UC San Diego Medical Ctr.-CA (Scripps Mercy Hosp.-CA ?PGY 1)

UC Davis Medical Ctr. -CA

Boston U Medical Ctr.-MA (Newton-Wellesley Hosp-MA-PGY 1)

Einstein/Jacobi-NY (Greenwich Hospital-CT -PGY 1)

(2)MCP Hahnemann Univ. Hospitals-PA

Univ. of Rochester/Strong Mem-NY

Brigham & Womens Hospital-MA

UMDNJ-R W Johnson-NJ

Family Medicine
Lehigh Valley Hospital-PA

Oregon Health & Science Univ.-OR

Family Practice Residency of Idaho

Morehouse School of Medicine-GA

*Internal Medicine
(9) Hospital of the Univ. of Pennsylvania

Naval Medical Center Portsmith-VA

Mt. Sinai Hospital-NY

(2) B I Deaconess Medical Center-MA

Eisenhower Army Medical Center

NYP Hospital/Colum Presby-NY

Brigham & Womens Hospital-MA

(2) NYP Hospital-NY Cornell-NY

McGaw Medical Center-Northwestern Univ-IL

(2) UC San Francisco-CA

Scripps Mercy Hospital-CA

Johns Hopkins Hospital-MD

University of Virginia

Neurology
Hospital of the Univ. of Pennsylvania

Neurosurgery

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Washington Hospital Center-DC

NYU School of Medicine

Ophthalmology
Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary (U Penn Health Sys/Presby- PGY 1)

(3) Scheie Eye Inst./Univ. of Pennsylvania (U Penn Health Sys/Presby- PGY 1)

Wills Eye Hospital (U Hawaii Transitional Residency Program)

Tufts/New England Eye Center (Kaiser Perm-Oakland-CA - PGY 1)

Duke Univ. Medical Center-NC (Pennsylvania Hospital ?PGY 1)

Oral Maxillo Facial Surg.
(3) Hospital of the Univ. of Pennsylvania

Orthopaedic Surgery
University of Connecticut

(2) Mass General Hospital Harvard Comb

Univ. Health Center of Pittsburgh-PA

(3) Hospital of the Univ. of Pennsylvania

George Washington Univ.-DC

Otolaryngology
UCLA Medical Center-CA

(2) Hospital of the Univ. of Pennsylvania

Univ. Health Center of Pittsburgh-PA

Oregon Health & Science University

Pathology
(2) Hospital of the Univ. of Pennsylvania

U Washington Affil. Hospitals

Pediatrics
(3) Children?s Hospital of Philadelphia-PA

Children?s Hospital of Boston-MA

University of Texas Medical School-Houston

Emory Univ. School of Medicine-GA

(2) U Washington Affil. Hospitals

NYU School of Medicine-NY

NYP Hospital-NY Cornell-NY

Johns Hopkins Hospital-MD

St. Christopher?s Hospital-PA

Plastic Surgery

Psychiatry
Emory University SOM-GA

U Washington Affil. Hospitals

Cedars-Sinai Medical Center-CA

Radiation Oncology
UC San Francisco-CA (CA Pacific Medical Center-CA)

Cleveland Clinic Fdn.-OH

NYP Hospital-Columbia/Presby-NY

University of Texas MD Anderson-TX

Radiology
(2) Hospital of the Univ. of Pennsylvania (Albert Einstein Medical-PA PGY 1)

Duke University Medical Center-NC (Albert Einstein Medical-PA PGY 1)

William Beaumont Hospital-MI

Yale-New Haven Hospital-CT (Georgetown University Hospital-DC PGY 1)

Bridgeport Hospital-CT

NYU School of Medicine (U Penn Health Sys/Presby)

Surgery
Lankenau Hospital-PA

Tulane University SOM-LA

NYP Hospital-Columbia/Presby-NY

Pennsylvania Hospital0PA

(3) Brigham & Womens Hospital-MA

UCLA Medical Center-CA

(2) UC San Francisco-CA

Urology
Mt. Sinai Hospital

yeah...hopkins' match is better. But the the list you put up for penn is from last year. I still haven't seen penn's list for this year. penn's board scores from 2002 are posted, and they are really really good. anyone have the 2003 matchlist?

oops, sorry about that all... i didn't look at the year :p

http://students-njms.umdnj.edu. then on the left hand column, click on 'student life'. After student life click on 'match day/presentations' and choose the year you wish to view.

what is PM&R ?

Originally posted by kissit
what is PM&R ?

physical medicine and rehabilitation. People call it plenty of money and relaxation; I'm not sure why, but they are deluding themselves on the money part.

thanks so much blitz.

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
physical medicine and rehabilitation. People call it plenty of money and relaxation; I'm not sure why, but they are deluding themselves on the money part.

I think the idea is you get "plenty of money" for the relatively little amount of work you do. :D

Anyone happen to have Pitt's or WashU's most recent match list?

I don't think that Pitt's is online yet, but I know that there are a bunch of copies of it out front of the Student Affairs office. They might mail you a copy if you ask.

does anyone have the match for university of south florida COM, especially the places where they matched ortho?

Here's the 2003 match list for Penn for all of those who had asked.

Penn 2003 Residency Match

This year, there were some neurosurgery matches, unlike last year. All in all, a very solid list.

So lets rank the matchlists so far. Which ones (out of the list on this thread) are the best?