Florida Schools Application Thread (2008) part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for doing the right thing and withdrawing from the waitlists. Much appreciated. :) GL to you two at FSU and Miami.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats Biohazard and Chemcu!!! Thanks for withdrawing from USF's waitlist. I was just informed that I should hear from them by late summer. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a call from USF, same deal placed on waiting list.
Got an email from UM about 2 hours later saying that I got in :). (UM's my first choice).

I'm going to withdraw from UF and USF, hopefully that'll help you guys on the wait list.

GOOD LUCK AND PATIENCE PAYS!!

Hey Congrats on UM!! See you there in a few months. Such a subjective process....

Just withdrew from USF. Hope this helps those of you on the waitlist. Best of luck!

I got a call from USF, same deal placed on waiting list.
Got an email from UM about 2 hours later saying that I got in :). (UM's my first choice).

I'm going to withdraw from UF and USF, hopefully that'll help you guys on the wait list.

GOOD LUCK AND PATIENCE PAYS!!

Congratulations on Miami. I'm sure it will be an amazing experience as I always hear the most wonderful things about their school.

How did you go about withdrawing from the USF waitlist? Just reply to the email or did you call them? I'm into UM so no need to sit around and waste their time looking at my file again.

I was withdrawing my acceptance but I'm sure you use the same basic format. I just emailed them and thanked them for the offer, but have decided to attend elsewhere.

im appreciating the usf waitlist/acceptance withdrawals!! Thanks guys!:D

Anyone else get a usf waitlist update today?

Some of us would also appreciate some UF withdrawals too!! Let's get these waitlists moving!

im appreciating the usf waitlist/acceptance withdrawals!! Thanks guys!:D

Anyone else get a usf waitlist update today?

I was told to expect a phone call at the end of June (which is around my birthday :D) Of course, I wouldn't mind a call sooner. Thanks again everybody for making the decisions/withdrawals so early. It will definitely help those of us on the waitlist!! Good luck to all of you. Here's to some more movement ;)

"As of this writing, it seems unlikely that you will receive an acceptance offer from our office this season."

Guess that's not good news. I think I will be quite happy in Boca though. Just hope the support system & money were there. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
"As of this writing, it seems unlikely that you will receive an acceptance offer from our office this season."

Guess that's not good news. I think I will be quite happy in Boca though. Just hope the support system & money were there. :)

Sorry to hear that. It seems like quite a few people were placed on the high waitlist later on, which bumped some of us that interviewed earlier down a little bit. I was told that I was high waitlist back in January up until late February and now I'm somewhere in the middle, which means I won't hear anything until June (if they get to me :scared:) So here I wait again...story of my life! :laugh: At least you have an acceptance and I'm sure you will be happy down in Boca. Good luck to you :luck:

To the people who just got accepted to Miami, were you on the alternate list or did you get accepted right after your interview?

I just sent another LOI to Miami, but they never write me back to confirm it. I think they hate me :(

Sorry to hear but at least you'll be able to go to Miami for the research opportunities since boca is connected with Umiami. And All UMiami students do well it seems. Good luck. Sorry but at least its still UMiami even though it wasn't your top choice.

A friend of mine got off the waitlist two days ago. He was apparently on the "high waiting list" at UMIAMI. He also wrote an LOI but I think the big thing for him was the letter from President Shalala:D

To the people who just got accepted to Miami, were you on the alternate list or did you get accepted right after your interview?

I just sent another LOI to Miami, but they never write me back to confirm it. I think they hate me :(
Just call Agnes, and ask her if she got your LOI.

A friend of mine got off the waitlist two days ago. He was apparently on the "high waiting list" at UMIAMI. He also wrote an LOI but I think the big thing for him was the letter from President Shalala:D
That's an encouraging story. Thanks...

How did he know he was on the high waiting list?

I am hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Let's say a student is accepted to one school (School A), but on a waitlist for another (School B). On May 15, he declares School A as his choice, because he hasn't heard back from the waitlisted school. If he is later accepted at School B, how long does he have post-May 15 to let School B know whether he wants to matriculate into that school instead of School A?

I've heard of two weeks being passed around, but I wasn't entirely sure. Thanks in advance.

I am hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Let's say a student is accepted to one school (School A), but on a waitlist for another (School B). On May 15, he declares School A as his choice, because he hasn't heard back from the waitlisted school. If he is later accepted at School B, how long does he have post-May 15 to let School B know whether he wants to matriculate into that school instead of School A?

I've heard of two weeks being passed around, but I wasn't entirely sure. Thanks in advance.

Also not entirely sure, but I think I've heard two weeks as well.

Also not entirely sure, but I think I've heard two weeks as well.

Roughly 2 weeks is correct. It is however possible to get extensions in some circumstances if you talk to the individual schools, should the situation arise. Good luck.

11 days til waitlists start moving you guys!!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys,
I remember using this forum when I was applying to medical school. I was looking up stuff for Step 1 when i thought i would browse through this forum.

I started reading what pre-meds thought of UF and was pretty surprised at all the incorrect information.

Speaking from experience, i am very pleased at my decision to go to UF. I have read that many people think UF does not have patient interaction for two years until white coat- and that we practice on "dummies"- I have yet to see one of these. Of course we have "fake patients" where we can practice our history and physical techniques. They get harder and more challenging as you move through the course (which is year round). You have to write up a differential diagnosis for your encounters. We also have inpatient encounters in the hospital where we practice on "real patients" also. I have seen extremely rare medical cases that I will probably never see again in my entire life in addition to cases that comprise "run of the mill" medical care.

The classes are organized in a block format first year. Anatomy and histology are tested on the same day but not combined. The information overlaps for the two sections. This is quite nice because it gives around 4 weeks between exams. The same holds true for the following semester with biochemistry and physiology. I didn't find that having multiple exams was extra hard.

Second year, the exams are a little more staggered and longer due to the intense amount of information presented- which holds true at all medical schools.

There are many opportunities for research. Once you start school, you have until around the middle of second year to decide if you would like to take the time to do research and take a year off. You can also do research over the summer between first and second year or whenever you want. The college will work with you for you to have the exact experience you wish.

All lecture material is copied and passed out to the entire class. Most lectures are recorded on audio. Pathology, however, is not immediately distributed to encourage students to go to class. There are many patient presentations in class where patients can tell their story and we can ask questions- its nice to go to these. If you are sick or out of town, you can acquire the audio for these lectures but they are not automatically posted for the entire class. There is no video recording or streaming audio/video- it is not necessary.

I have no negative things to say about the program- I love my class- they are not insane overachievers but well rounded students and I can honestly say I am friends with the majority of the class.

Thanks. Your sentiments echo at least 2 other med students I know. I know I had a very different opinion of UF before one of my 3 best and closest friends started going there but after hearing from her all year about how much she has no regrets and loves it there and hearing from another student who is your year, I've changed my opinion of the school. Both of them speak very, very positively about the med school with no regrets of choosing to go there. Both students were originally part of the 4+4 program at USF and didn't have to apply the regular cycle for med school but chose to do so to take the risk and see what other opportunities awaited them at other schools and have felt that it was the best decision because the package that UF presented them with really impresed them a lot.

I think everyone needs to look past the Ben situation and let whoever the governing bodies who are investigating this handle it from here. If you ultimately get accepted, you should just decide based on what curricula, location, and other factors like financial aid help decide what's best for you. Go with your Gut rather then letting scandals decide for you where to go.

Thanks. Your sentiments echo at least 2 other med students I know. I know I had a very different opinion of UF before one of my 3 best and closest friends started going there but after hearing from her all year about how much she has no regrets and loves it there and hearing from another student who is your year, I've changed my opinion of the school. Both of them speak very, very positively about the med school with no regrets of choosing to go there. Both students were originally part of the 4+4 program at USF and didn't have to apply the regular cycle for med school but chose to do so to take the risk and see what other opportunities awaited them at other schools and have felt that it was the best decision because the package that UF presented them with really impresed them a lot.

I think everyone needs to look past the Ben situation and let whoever the governing bodies who are investigating this handle it from here. If you ultimately get accepted, you should just decide based on what curricula, location, and other factors like financial aid help decide what's best for you. Go with your Gut rather then letting scandals decide for you where to go.

Agreed. UF is a great school. For that matter, all medical schools are great schools. We are blessed to live in FL, having many great schools that offer very distinct things. Whether it is UM@FAU's early and intense clinical exposure(being one and one with physicians, no residents no interns, yet) UM main's Jackson hospital which speaks for itself. UF's shands G-ville and J-ville which are excellent. FSU's focus on primary care and heavy clinical with private practices. USF's TGH, moffit and so on... Curricula wise they are all very different with UM having PBL(heavier at Boca) UF going traditional, and USF giving it a systems approach. Also having FSU focussing on the more modern curricula as well. Facilities, well you know....I think FSU wins this one hands down. So there are great schools in FL to attend, they all boast their selling points as they should and like wise when comparing them it becomes a batlle of personal preferences which oddly enough probably has less to do with which school someone chooses and more do to with what they tell there friends to brag!(you know you do...don't even begin to say you don't). For me it will probably come down to location(having a support system close by and all will truly help). Don't really know what my point was but I agree with UF being a great school. As far is the cronyism goes? Well it sucks and like others said it exists in one form or another at every school. Just do your best to realize this, like I am beginning to, and then make your choice. After all guys and gals, someone needs to be at the bottom of the class, might as well be the cronies. I do still understand that it spits in the face of qualified applicants, and there is no silver lining to it. There does come a time as guju said, when you should let it go and allow it to be handled by the appropriate people. Use it as motivation, I know I will.

Very cool :thumbup:

:bow:

has anyone who interviewed at FSU in the past month or two heard anything from them concerning admissions?- acceptance, rejection? I've been calling and they have been telling me that files are still under review, but its soo close to their start date. shouldn't they tell you by now if you're accepted or rejected?

has anyone who interviewed at FSU in the past month or two heard anything from them concerning admissions?- acceptance, rejection? I've been calling and they have been telling me that files are still under review, but its soo close to their start date. shouldn't they tell you by now if you're accepted or rejected?

Short answer: I don't know.
Long answer: It makes sense that some people accepted to FSU are waitlisted at other schools. Around the May 15th date, some of them will be accepted to some of these schools, and some will choose to go to these other schools. Therefore, I would suspect that there will be at least a handful of additional acceptances, probably right up to the last few days before classes start.

It is official!!! the waitlist for USF has started (in case anyone is wondering) moving. A friend of mine was accepted off of the high tier waitlist today.
Hopefully good things will come to those still waiting.
Good luck.:luck:

I'm beginning to wonder the same thing. I mean, I had a pretty good relationship with all of my LOR authors. One of whom I conducted research for, another was my former pediatrician, another a physics prof. who also was pretty close. I asked USF about it and they told me they weren't strong enough and that I needed more shadowing. It's very difficult to say because being confidential I can't really access the letters.

I don't mean to promote myself to the nth degree or anything, but I would think someone with a 3.9, a 29 mcat (not great but not terrible), shadowed a pediatrician, gen. surgeon, ophth, and a GP; did drug research, volunteered at a hospital for 4 years, non-profit chairman, shriners volunteer, ER volunteer, other clubs and orginizations, music therapy, etc. Sheesh, can't one school give me a green light?
Medguy, your case is very puzzling. You come off as such a sincere hard working person that it is heart wrenching. Do you think may be you interviews were not as strong as you may think? And I am telling you this cause I know a person that interviewed at FSU and USF, both relatively late. He has a 29 MCAT, 3.5 GPA from BME (he had a good reason for this tho), and similar ECs as you. His LORs were probably great and his interviews were probably remarkable. He got in FSU a week after his interview and just got off the high tier waitlist at USF today. Again, I know this guy (I know how he interviews) and he has similar stats as you but i strongly believe that his interviews got him the acceptances (I believe he went on 7 interviews and was accepted to 6 of these and is still waiting on a waitlist for a top 10 (whatever that means) school)).
Anyway, the best of luck to you.

It is official!!! the waitlist for USF has started (in case anyone is wondering) moving. A friend of mine was accepted off of the high tier waitlist today.
Hopefully good things will come to those still waiting.
Good luck.:luck:

I came off the waitlist yesterday as well, so it's definitely moving...good luck

I came off the waitlist yesterday as well, so it's definitely moving...good luck

Yay congratulations. gives me hope since you are a former MM student. LOL.

Jville,

what did you do in your year off?? Did you just work, take more courses, something else?

Thanks. Your sentiments echo at least 2 other med students I know. I know I had a very different opinion of UF before one of my 3 best and closest friends started going there but after hearing from her all year about how much she has no regrets and loves it there and hearing from another student who is your year, I've changed my opinion of the school......

I know all the medical schools in Florida are great- I just wanted to let everyone know not to listen to what other people say about them. You have to look this information up for yourself! its all on the class webpage.

Good luck to everyone applying and waiting to hear from the waitlist. I'm pretty sure that about 1/3 of everyone's class comes off of them so if you interviewed you are in good shape.

A while back, many people on this thread said they received e-mail notifications of waitlist information for USF. Some may have even received letters if they were in the bottom tier.

My question is: I haven't received any such information (no e-mail/regular mail). Is this a problem, or should I stay patient?

Dendrite, I had heard nothing either and had sent USF an email then left a message...supposedly they sent out emails last week but a lot of people never got them, so you might call/email them to have them resend the email already mailed.

Wow, I can't believe it's been a year since I was in this very thread talking about the admissions process and the Florida wait-lists. Congratulations to everyone that has been accepted, and good luck to all of those on the waitlist! Movement is coming soon!

im asking for a friend.. sorry abt the confusion

Oh ok. yeah I don't know that I've heard of any withdrawals, but I know at least 2 people who if they get into USF off high tier waitlist are planning on going to USF and dropping FSU acceptances.

for anyone who has withdrawn an acceptance from usf, did u get a confirmation email from them saying they received your withdraw?

for anyone who has withdrawn an acceptance from usf, did u get a confirmation email from them saying they received your withdraw?

I hear that Dr. Koehler follows up with an e-mail with a message saying it was received.

Hope that helps.