Florida Schools Application Thread (2008) part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
::sob:::mad: Rejection letter in the mail from Miami.

I am really incredibly surprised. I interviewed early and I had strong motivation to attend the school. This process is truly cruel and random.

Members don't see this ad.

I am really incredibly surprised. I interviewed early and I had strong motivation to attend the school. This process is truly cruel and random.

I am really sorry. :(

But look at the bright side. You got into other school and are going to Stonybrook right? :)

After reading all of this waitlist non-movement talk, I am questioning my application more so than ever. I have my applications finished, just not submitted and I am taking the MCAT Aug. 22nd. I was under the impression that there is waitlist movement up until the summer before classes start. I know that I am late in the process, but with a good MCAT score, would I even have a chance? By the way, I am a USF Bull and hoping to stay here.

Members don't see this ad :)
After reading all of this waitlist non-movement talk, I am questioning my application more so than ever. I have my applications finished, just not submitted and I am taking the MCAT Aug. 22nd. I was under the impression that there is waitlist movement up until the summer before classes start. I know that I am late in the process, but with a good MCAT score, would I even have a chance? By the way, I am a USF Bull and hoping to stay here.

Look at the message I left on the other thread for u

Sorry to hear buddy! At least u got in a school u really liked. My friend that interviewed at Stonybrook thought her interview went well there but she was rejected. It is really subjective. That's the problem. But you'll have an incredible time in NY I'm sure. Can always come back for residency. :)

Rejections are never fun... And yes, the process can be somewhat random at times. Some adcoms might value some parts of an applicant's file more than others and hence rank that applicant higher. Overall, as seemingly cruel as it might be the process is by in large a fair one.

BTW waitlist movement can go as late as the first day of class or so but more often then not, it slows down significantly by july some time and if it occurs at that time i.e. when classes start, it occurs because someone had a last min. change of heart about medicine or got in another school at the last minute or for whatever reason couldn't attend at the last min.

However, that's not always the case. Most of the movement slows around July.

Generally people only get off if it is high tier or part of mid tier but not low tier or the latter half of mid tier.

Low tier is as good as reject in most cases.

I am doing the FSU secondary for 2009. Its say biochem Lab is required in the secondary application

If an undergraduate's institution's biochemistry course is only three hours and does not offer a lab, the course requirement has been filled. If your undergraduate institution does off a lab with the Biochemistry course and you opt not to take the lab, then you must complete the lab prior to matriculation.

but then on its main website its said that its only recommended.

Four credit hours of biochemistry including one credit hour of biochemistry laboratory is preferred but not required.

which one should i believe? what should i do? I signed up for Biochem Lab this fall and would like to save the tuition money if i can.

I am doing the FSU secondary for 2009. Its say biochem Lab is required in the secondary application

which one should i believe? what should i do? I signed up for Biochem Lab this fall and would like to save the tuition money if i can.

Call the admissions office and ask them what to do. They will give u the most up to date version of things.

I think it's time to start a new Florida applications thread.

Haha. I'd do it but I'm too lazy to do such. You want to go ahead and start it for us? Hope 4th year is going good.

I'm not sure, but I think you only have to take the lab if your undergrad biochem class is 3 hours (rather than 4). I know that if you went to UF or FSU for undergrad, it is not a requirement. (Or at least it wasn't prior to this year.) I don't know about the other schools.