## 2008-2009 Application Season ## Post AACOMAS questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is there any sort of delay if you add schools after you have submitted and been verified? whats the turn around time for you adding another school and AACOMAS sending your app out.

It was pretty quick for me last year. I'd say about a week until I got a conformation ("we've received your application" email or letter) from the newly added schools. AACOMAS sends applications out weekly, so the new school should get your app when the next batch of applications are sent out.

Members don't see this ad.

It was pretty quick for me last year. I'd say about a week until I got a conformation ("we've received your application" email or letter) from the newly added schools. AACOMAS sends applications out weekly, so the new school should get your app when the next batch of applications are sent out.

hmmm. is it possible to add school while in the process of being verified?

i am going to submit either tonight or tomorrow. I have 7 schools right now. If i get my MCAT scores back and decide to apply more broadly, do i have to wait to be verified to add the schools?

hmmm. is it possible to add school while in the process of being verified?

i am going to submit either tonight or tomorrow. I have 7 schools right now. If i get my MCAT scores back and decide to apply more broadly, do i have to wait to be verified to add the schools?

I don't think you have to wait. I added extra schools before and after I was verified.

Members don't see this ad :)
as the application season goes on, it will take longer and longer. the verification and update process works well, IMO (the vast majority of people i talked to had no hiccups). that's why it's important to do so early, so that you're not stuck waiting.

good luck! :thumbup:

also, in the "AACOMAS on SDN" thread, the AACOMAS rep said there have been people out sick all week, so they're processing transcripts from 6/3 today (it may have been posted yesterday, but you get the point). Anyway, sometimes it takes awhile, but I wouldn't worry for a couple of weeks. Good luck with the application process!

i submitted AACOMAS on June 1st. It still says "submitted to AACOMAS" as my status. i haven't heard of anyone being verified yet...i know chocobeardrizzle submitted in may and i don't think he has been verfiied yet... any idea when we can expect that?

i submitted AACOMAS on June 1st. It still says "submitted to AACOMAS" as my status. i haven't heard of anyone being verified yet...i know chocobeardrizzle submitted in may and i don't think he has been verfiied yet... any idea when we can expect that?

"Chocobeardrizzle" sounds like it'd go well in a waffle cone :thumbup:

I think in the next 2 weeks we'll see some verification...

i'm surprised that nobody asked this yet... or if they did i didn't find it. anyway, what are your thoughts about including high school ECs on the activities page? i'm talking about significant ECs... like winning a national science competition... or being selected to participate in the governor's school.

i'm surprised that nobody asked this yet... or if they did i didn't find it. anyway, what are your thoughts about including high school ECs on the activities page? i'm talking about significant ECs... like winning a national science competition... or being selected to participate in the governor's school.

Someone has. Seems fine to me, provided they are very important to you and will seem significant to an adcom.

"Chocobeardrizzle" sounds like it'd go well in a waffle cone :thumbup:

I think in the next 2 weeks we'll see some verification...

and by verification you mean primary sent to schools of our choice and we can then expect secondaries to roll in, right?

oh and choco, has anyone ever told you that you bear an insanely strong resemblance to the surgeon in that hit pop medical show, "Scrubs"?:soexcited:

and by verification you mean primary sent to schools of our choice and we can then expect secondaries to roll in, right?

Well "verification" technically means AACOMAS is done looking at your app and it's ready to be sent. As to when this will actually happen, it will probably be shortly (a week or two?) after being verified. Maybe someone who applied very early last year can enlighten.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really sure what I'd put for hours per week on it though. I really just did it to beef up my resume and have definitive proof of being computer literate.

Maybe however many hours per week you use it or studied for the test. I don't know. What I do know is that if it's something significant/impressive, I'd find a way to make it work. :luck:

I am curious,
If we submit our application before our transcripts have been received, then will our verification process go quicker?
OR
Can we simply wait for our transcripts to arrive and THEN submit our application?

*does waiting to submit because of transcripts not being received make any difference in terms of when our application is verified?

I am curious,
If we submit our application before our transcripts have been received, then will our verification process go quicker?
OR
Can we simply wait for our transcripts to arrive and THEN submit our application?

*does waiting to submit because of transcripts not being received make any difference in terms of when our application is verified?

It seems reasonable that a line for verification has started. If this is the case, you'd probably be put into line once your app was submitted, regardless of your transcripts status. Thus it might go more quickly if you submitted asap, as opposed to waiting. This is all conjecture, though...

My allopathic application got verified in 6 days. I was pretty shocked. I submitted this one at the end of May. I'm fine waiting and expected it to take another week or two. I just found it odd that the allopathic one was so fast.

where do i go on my application to add in my SSN???? I seriously cant find where im supposed to do that....and is that why my transcripts and such arent going through? thanks!!

Long time reader...first time poster.

Let's assume I submit my application before my MCAT scores are in and then the scores come in and I am unhappy with it and want to retake the MCAT. If I then update AACOMAS saying I am planning to retake the MCAT, will schools see this or not because my application was already submitted and my scores were automatically sent to schools? Sorry, if the question is confusing, I had trouble wording it clearly. Thanks!

Long time reader...first time poster.

Let's assume I submit my application before my MCAT scores are in and then the scores come in and I am unhappy with it and want to retake the MCAT. If I then update AACOMAS saying I am planning to retake the MCAT, will schools see this or not because my application was already submitted and my scores were automatically sent to schools? Sorry, if the question is confusing, I had trouble wording it clearly. Thanks!

The schools would see your update, as they are provided with these updates from AACOM. The problem would be if they had already rejected you and were reluctant to reopen your file for the new scores. This doesn't seem like it would be a problem this early in the game. When would you get the first and second set of scores?

The schools would see your update, as they are provided with these updates from AACOM. The problem would be if they had already rejected you and were reluctant to reopen your file for the new scores. This doesn't seem like it would be a problem this early in the game. When would you get the first and second set of scores?

I don't think I'll score so low that I'll be quickly rejected, I am thinking a may just need to bump up my score a bit to feel more secure. The first scores will come in june 26, if i retake my second set of scores will come in late aug/early sept.

I don't think I'll score so low that I'll be quickly rejected, I am thinking a may just need to bump up my score a bit to feel more secure. The first scores will come in june 26, if i retake my second set of scores will come in late aug/early sept.

If you haven't even submitted AACOMAS yet, there is a very good chance you will not be verified by the time your scores come out. In this case you would have even more power, as you would mark "retake" (if you wanted), and schools would basically put you on hold (for the most part) until the next set of scores are received. :luck:

I already submitted the AACOMAS application (May 4th), not verified yet..with my previous MCAT score.. not so great ( low 20's), I am retaking in August, I indicated this on the application. Do you thinks that’s too late.. any advice .. Anyone with similar experience thanks much

where do i go on my application to add in my SSN???? I seriously cant find where im supposed to do that....and is that why my transcripts and such arent going through? thanks!!

Login to your AACOMAS application, Go to the MCAT page and make sure that the SSN is reflected there as well.

I already submitted the AACOMAS application (May 4th), not verified yet..with my previous MCAT score.. not so great ( low 20's), I am retaking in August, I indicated this on the application. Do you thinks that’s too late.. any advice .. Anyone with similar experience thanks much

I applied last year with my first MCAT score and indicated a retake on my application. I retook the MCAT on August 9th and was complete at most schools by the end of September.

Just make sure you're all set to go with your schools by the time your 2nd score comes in. Fill out all your secondaries while you're waiting for your new score.

I got 2 interviews with a not-so-hot 2nd MCAT score. I think I was plenty early, but the MCAT wasn't high enough to get more interviews.

Good Luck to you! :luck:

I applied last year with my first MCAT score and indicated a retake on my application. I retook the MCAT on August 9th and was complete at most schools by the end of September.

Just make sure you're all set to go with your schools by the time your 2nd score comes in. Fill out all your secondaries while you're waiting for your new score.

I got 2 interviews with a not-so-hot 2nd MCAT score. I think I was plenty early, but the MCAT wasn't high enough to get more interviews.

Good luck to you too.

Last edited:
So when I emailed AACOMAS today they told me they were planning on starting/trying to send applications to the med schools by the end of the week, so maybe some people will get verified in the next few days.

It was sent out by my school on June 3, so far it has not been received, is this normal? Or may be it is lost in the mail? How long it takes?

It was sent out by my school on June 3, so far it has not been received, is this normal? Or may be it is lost in the mail? How long it takes?

you've gotta give it time...it takes a while. My transcript was sent on may 22nd and it was finally updated on their website as "received" on june 10tth. they take a while to update your AACOMAS because it says on my app that it they received it on may 27th and yet it didnt show up on my app til like june 10th

you've gotta give it time...it takes a while. My transcript was sent on may 22nd and it was finally updated on their website as "received" on june 10tth. they take a while to update your AACOMAS because it says on my app that it they received it on may 27th and yet it didnt show up on my app til like june 10th
Now I can sleep:)

Thanks so much :)

my transcript is in, my mcat scores are in, application submitted...am I supposed to take any additional actions, or just wait until I receive secondaries? my status is on "Submitted to AACOMAS". I just feel weird sitting here doing nothing after all the time I spent filling out applications (osteopathic & allopathic). thanks for the help.

my transcript is in, my mcat scores are in, application submitted...am I supposed to take any additional actions, or just wait until I receive secondaries? my status is on "Submitted to AACOMAS". I just feel weird sitting here doing nothing after all the time I spent filling out applications (osteopathic & allopathic). thanks for the help.

yeah unfortunately, you have hit the stage where you can't do much but wait. Instead of sitting around and waiting on secondaries though, see if you can get a heads-up on the writing prompts by doing some research and writing those essays. The secondaries will all start coming in at the same time and you can easily get bogged down by writing similar essays to each school explaining why you want to attend there. Sounds like you are done with AACOMAS and AMCAS now until you are verified, so get started on those essays.

I deleted a school that has the transcript already posted, now I put the school back but the transcript status shows not received. Does anyone knows if a hard copy is till there? Are we have a physical folder where they collect all the transcripts or they scan them in the computer when they receive the transcripts? How can I get it back?

Ok I believe to be relatively competitive for DO schools, maybe I'm wrong, but I have one blaring weakness: Clincal experience. You can view my stats on mdapps but basically I only have 2 days of shadowing experience. I have worked since I was fourteen and in college I worked 10-20 hours a week including weekends. I am a supervisor there and I work hard. My question, or request for input is this: should I wait to turn in my primaries until after I do some clinical hours? I am afraid that if I wait then I will not get into med school this year. Someone gimme some insight please...

I deleted a school that has the transcript already posted, now I put the school back but the transcript status shows not received. Does anyone knows if a hard copy is till there? Are we have a physical folder where they collect all the transcripts or they scan them in the computer when they receive the transcripts? How can I get it back?

Just call them. (301) 968-4190.

For me it took 1.5 months to get the application complete (certified), but if you go to some of the school web sites you can get some of the secondaries and start working on the essay questions. I would say 90% of the schools will send you a secondary no matter what!

Ok I believe to be relatively competitive for DO schools, maybe I'm wrong, but I have one blaring weakness: Clincal experience. You can view my stats on mdapps but basically I only have 2 days of shadowing experience. I have worked since I was fourteen and in college I worked 10-20 hours a week including weekends. I am a supervisor there and I work hard. My question, or request for input is this: should I wait to turn in my primaries until after I do some clinical hours? I am afraid that if I wait then I will not get into med school this year. Someone gimme some insight please...

To be brutally honest, yes, I think you need a lot more clinical experience to be competitive. I worked full time throughout college too (sometimes multiple jobs) and still managed to get in 3 years of volunteering in the hospital and lot's of other EC's. Not trying to one up you, but I think Adcoms will question your lack of clinical experience and saying that you had to work and didn't have time for volunteering might not fly.

Why not sign up for a volunteer program now, volunteer for a whole year and then apply with more confidence next year?

If you really want to apply this year, go for it, but I think you might hit a roadblock when it comes to your clinical experience, IMO.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide! :luck::luck:

I did not get my application in until Oct. 15 ish and did not get it certified until the end of Nov. I personally would wait until you get more clinical experience, because you will need good recommendations, and the more you could do this summer before you put it in the better. If you can send it is in Aug. or early Sept. you should be good. This is my two cents.

I was asked about my clinical experience at every interview.

When I applied for the entering class of 2006, I was asked at both my interviews why I didn't have any clinical experience.

Clinical experience at a hospital is the best thing ever for a pre-med. Mine has gotten me:

- Into medical school (I believe it was a big contributing factor)
- A job (was hired after volunteering for a while, and showing them I was willing to work hard)
- Some like-minded, good friends
- Valuable hands-on experience
- Research possibilities (the surgery program director recently invited me to come back to Austin to do some research after MS1)
- Rotation possibilities (every department I've contacted has said that they will welcome me with open arms for away rotations)
- Residency possibilities (I've got my foot in the door already)

I feel ******ed for not starting sooner.

I had virtually no clinical experience when I applied. I had only 6 mos of volunteering in the ER which I would say was a complete waste of time, but necessary, and 2 half days of shadowing a DO. (I did, however, talk about my son's autism diagnosis in my PS) I know that my lack of clinical was my biggest weakness and I would never recommend for anyone to do what I did. I am, however, fairly happy with the outcome of my application season. I think that if you are fairly strong in all other aspects of your app, then you should be alright. Maybe just start getting some experience now so that you can talk about it in your interviews a few months down the road or wait to turn your app for a few months until you get a little bit of clinical experience under your belt so that you can put it on your app. If other areas of your app aren't strong, then I would wait a year and get that experience.