2008-2009 George Washington University (GWU) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are *not *attending school full-time during the *entire *2008-2009 school year, please indicate activities, coursework, employment, or other occupations for that period to account for full-time involvement. *Please restrict your answer to three lines. *

What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? **Please restrict your answer to ten lines.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GWU LOR Requirements

Submission of a comittee letter
OR

individual letters

OR

comittee letters and individual letters

If your school has a pre-medical advisor, advisory committee, or a confidential letter collection service, we require that you utilize these services. A composite letter, which compiles information from single letters and interviews and is written by a pre-medical advisor or advisory committee, fulfills our recommendation requirement in full. If the recommendation is not a composite letter or if you utilize a letter collection service, you must submit a minimum of three letters (but not more than five), two from science faculty familiar with your academic work and one from someone acquainted with your personal traits.

If you cannot provide a composite letter or utilize a letter collection service, attach a letter (to your supplemental application) explaining why you cannot and indicate who will be sending individual, single letters on your behalf. Individual, single letters are those sent by the recommender directly to our office and are not processed through a confidential letter collection service. You must submit a minimum of three letters (but not more than five), two from science faculty familiar with your academic work and one from someone acquainted with your personal traits.

If you have attended a graduate program or a post-baccalaureate program, we do require that you submit a letter of recommendation from an advisor or faculty member from that program.

Inform your recommenders that letters must be recieved no later than January 1st. However, review of an application does not take place until we receive letters of recommendation so it is in your best interest to ensure these letters are sent as early as possible. GW Medical School does have a rolling admissions process.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It says Submission of a comittee letter
OR

individual letters

OR

My school only assembles a packet with no actual comittee letter, this does not apply to the 3 options

Was it sent via e-mail? I haven't received any secondaries (I was verified 6/10)... should I be concerned?

It was sent via email. There is a possibility that you just have not received it yet. However you might want to double-check your AMCAS app. to ensure that you email address is correct. If so, then you will probably be receiving it shortly.

Was it sent via e-mail? I haven't received any secondaries (I was verified 6/10)... should I be concerned?

they get 10,000 applicants. Its only 12 in DC, so they probably sent it to maybe the first few thousand. The latter half will probably receive them later today.

I got it in an email, they actually sent it twice (30 mins apart) for some reason.

ok i still havent gotten one... is this weird?

It says Submission of a comittee letter
OR

individual letters

OR

My school only assembles a packet with no actual comittee letter, this does not apply to the 3 options

I emailed about this situation specifically. They said to check the box for the Committee Letter only.

I haven't gotten one either, so its not just you... I'm starting it anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the secondary for GW 3 times
ouch 125 bucks.Hope I get an interview
Good luck guys!

Just got the secondary email despite the fact that I'm not verified yet.

Guess they're eager to take $125 from a bunch of neurotic pre-meds. Was it always this much money for their secondary? :eek:

Just got the secondary email despite the fact that I'm not verified yet.

Guess they're eager to take $125 from a bunch of neurotic pre-meds. Was it always this much money for their secondary? :eek:

When I applied two years ago, I remember it being over $100. I also know that Georgetown's secondary app. fee is around $130. Besides these two, I am not sure if there are any other schools with secondary app fees this high?

This is a technical question- how do I type into GW's pdf document when completing the application?

This is a technical question- how do I type into GW's pdf document when completing the application?

This is what I did:

I saved the document to my computer so that I could open the pdf with Adobe. However the document does not allow you to save anything, therefore you have to finish it and print.

Is my math right? GOOD LORD! It seems a little ridiculous to bring in 1.25 MILLION in revenue from 10,000 applicants at $125 a pop. I really don't see how this is all that ethical or justifiable when the large majority of other med schools charge around 50$ less but sadly, I will pay. :thumbdown:

$125 is ridiculous. I'm just thankful I'm FAP approved.

Is my math right? GOOD LORD! It seems a little ridiculous to bring in 1.25 MILLION in revenue from 10,000 applicants at $125 a pop. I really don't see how this is all that ethical or justifiable when the large majority of other med schools charge around 50$ less but sadly, I will pay. :thumbdown:

Scary...huh?
Our vulnerabilities = Their profit

It's like the wedding expenses...they can charge you 5x more, just because they can :scared:

Here's a question: Is it a bad idea to write for the secondary essay thing that you are "especially interested in clinical medicine, blah blah"?

I have classes like CHEM 101 or PHYS 101 that will not fit in their course number box. What do you guys suggest I do? CHE101? PHY101?

I have classes like CHEM 101 or PHYS 101 that will not fit in their course number box. What do you guys suggest I do? CHE101? PHY101?
I did it hand written because my computer kept losing what I typed so maybe just write it by hand.

I did, however, type the essay.

I had the same problem (4 letter prefixes). I changed it to Chem instead of CHEM. Also, I had 4 numbers, too, and it ended up fitting. Try it!

has anyone tried calling them to see whats the hold up with the secondary invite? everybody else is at a disadvantage..

For the course # I didnt put chem, bio, etc. since it is already under that category and they didnt leave enough room for you to put it.

Anyone else on the quarter system that didnt have enough room on it to satisfy their requirements? I need to put 3 physics labs in to qualify for the 2 semester hours, but only 2 boxes....

has anyone tried calling them to see whats the hold up with the secondary invite? everybody else is at a disadvantage..
Maybe they are sending them out in alphabetical order???? IM near the end of the alphabet and I havent got one either.

I haven't gotten one yet- I am not verified but submitted on the 15th... o well I will start filling it out and send it back soon!

I haven't gotten one either and I'm near the end of the alphabet (doesn't explain why some have received 2 and 3)

I haven't gotten one either and I'm near the end of the alphabet (doesn't explain why some have received 2 and 3)
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm at the end as well and I got one (well two emails actually) yesterday. You could always call them...

I'm not really worried, my MCATs aren't posted yet, I figured that was the hold up

For those of you who have NOT receive the GW email invite (me included),

1) Are you guys just filling out the application and sending it in early?
Can we still do that...or would it get "lost" if we send it in without getting "invited" to do so...(feels like crashing a party or something)

2) Also, if you are using Interfolio or VirtualEvals, when do you submit the delivery?

Thanks!:p
Feeling little "unwanted" by GW :scared:

Last edited:
I'm ready to submit, but I'm not verified on AMCAS. Should I hold off?

Did you get an invite for it? Maybe you should email them...
Yes, I received an invite via email stating they received my preliminary info from AMCAS and invited me to fill out the secondary.

I'm ready to submit, but I'm not verified on AMCAS. Should I hold off?

I'm pretty sure you can go ahead and submit. I think I remember not being verified on AMCAS yet but still submitting that.

They told you to fill it out. I say go for it!
I'll wait and submit tomorrow :)
I feel like I rushed it a bit. Plus, I might wait for my DO LOR to come in. I mentioned him in my PS for MD schools cause I really learned a lot from him so I figure I should probably include him in my packet of letters. What do you think?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm at the end as well and I got one (well two emails actually) yesterday. You could always call them...
strange...O well, its probably nothing...Ill give it until tommorow afternoon and then give them a call.

strange...O well, its probably nothing...Ill give it until tommorow afternoon and then give them a call.
Good luck though! I'd fill it out and then mail it in once you get it. Hope you get some good news tomorrow!

If you are *not *attending school full-time during the *entire *2008-2009 school year, please indicate activities, coursework, employment, or other occupations for that period to account for full-time involvement. *Please restrict your answer to three lines. *

What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? **Please restrict your answer to ten lines.

Shemarty, you're not even applying to GWU... :confused:

You must be a really nice person. :thumbup:

I didn't get the email invite either...im in line to get verified... but I don't think we can send the secondary until we get the email because we cannot pay? You can only pay for this application through getting the email correct? You have to put that authorization code in the top right corner...how do you get the authorization code?

I didn't get the email invite either...im in line to get verified... but I don't think we can send the secondary until we get the email because we cannot pay? You can only pay for this application through getting the email correct? You have to put that authorization code in the top right corner...how do you get the authorization code?

You get the code by paying $125 online. You can pay the $125 from the online payment link on the secondary page. Seems like anyone can submit the secondary at any time. I would be wary about submitting before an email comes, though--like they're not quite ready for you or something. It's probably fine...

Shemarty, you're not even applying to GWU... :confused:

You must be a really nice person. :thumbup:

:oops: Yea, I'm making school-specific secondary application threads for all the schools when their secondaries become available. It's a place for me to post the prompt and the LOR requirements, and it's a useful place for people to discuss the secondary app. This way, I can link that info to the main index I've been managing on the secondary application thread. And, it's less messy than having different people start their own school-specific threads, because this way at least the thread titles are formatted the same way for each school :D

I finally got the secondary for GW (woot) but I have a coupe questions about it

a)On the form where we fill in our classes that satisfy their prereqs there are fields for bio and chem and such. So for the bio I have about 20 classes that start with a bio in my transcripts (both graduate and undergraduate) with varying grades. Of course I have the basic one-year bio series but I got B's in those. Can I put upper div or grad classes in that field in which I received better grades or would that seem shady?

b) Most of them only require 6 credit hrs but some have more fields to enter courses than I would need to get the 6 credit hrs fullfilled. Can I add a third class even if the first two are enough to fullfill the 6 credit hrs?

c) I have a committee letter to which 5 individual letters will be attached by the committee. Which of the letter options should I click? Just the committee letter one? just wanna make sure...

Any help/answers would be much appreciated. I am gonna call GW about this as well and see what they say (I am in germany right now so I won't be able to call them before monday).

Thanks guys

I finally got the secondary for GW (woot) but I have a coupe questions about it

a)On the form where we fill in our classes that satisfy their prereqs there are fields for bio and chem and such. So for the bio I have about 20 classes that start with a bio in my transcripts (both graduate and undergraduate) with varying grades. Of course I have the basic one-year bio series but I got B's in those. Can I put upper div or grad classes in that field in which I received better grades or would that seem shady?

b) Most of them only require 6 credit hrs but some have more fields to enter courses than I would need to get the 6 credit hrs fullfilled. Can I add a third class even if the first two are enough to fullfill the 6 credit hrs?

c) I have a committee letter to which 5 individual letters will be attached by the committee. Which of the letter options should I click? Just the committee letter one? just wanna make sure...

Any help/answers would be much appreciated. I am gonna call GW about this as well and see what they say (I am in germany right now so I won't be able to call them before monday).

Thanks guys
a) Seems shady to me but idk
b) Couldn't hurt to add more if you want
c) Don't know, I am not using a committee

Status
Not open for further replies.