2008-2009 USC-Keck Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

erkle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
https://keck-admit.hsc.usc.edu/

Have you applied to the Keck School of Medicine in the past? If yes, please describe your activities since you last applied (250 words)

Please briefly explain your interest in the Keck School of Medicine (250 words)

Briefly describe any unique qualities and abilities you possess which would contribute to:
(A) the educational environment (250 words)
(B) the diversity of the entering class (250 words)

Please provide a summary of your most relevant leadership experiences. (250 words)

Briefly describe your most relevant extra-curricular activites (volunteer, research,serving disadvantaged or underserved populations, etc...) related to your interest in medicine. (250 words)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
USC LOR Requirements:

"An evaluation from your Premedical Advisory Committee OR two current letters of recommendation from science faculty who have instructed you."

Have you applied to the Keck School of Medicine in the past? If yes, please describe your activities since you last applied (250 words)

Please briefly explain your interest in the Keck School of Medicine (250 words)

Briefly describe any unique qualities and abilities you possess which would contribute to:

Please provide a summary of your most relevant leadership experiences. (250 words)

Briefly describe your most relevant extra-curricular activites (volunteer, research,serving disadvantaged or underserved populations, etc...) related to your interest in medicine. (250 words)

Grrrr 5 essays come on!

Members don't see this ad :)
way too much work... cant you just pay the usc adcoms for admission like you do for undergrad?

I dont like the alst one. Describe your most relevant activities? How many do they want to hear about and in what detail? Isnt that what the description section on AMCAS was for?

This is a monster. At least I have something to write about instead of the "what did you read on our website that made you apply to our medical school" nonsense

Please Describe your interest in USC....Reggie bush and OJ mayo attended there and you gave them lots of money!!!

I wonder if USC secondary application has the most number of essay prompts out of all schools...:sleep:

I cant think of anything for the diversity essay...Im a freaking caucasian middle class male....

Members don't see this ad :)
agreed chubby, this question is holding back about 4 secondaries for me until I can figure out a decent answer. I mean really whats so wrong with being a normal white guy who likes sports women and beer?

1. Have you applied to the Keck School of Medicine in the past? If yes, please describe your activities since you last applied (250 words)

2. Please briefly explain your interest in the Keck School of Medicine (250 words)

3. Briefly describe any unique qualities and abilities you possess which would contribute to:

4. Please provide a summary of your most relevant leadership experiences. (250 words)

5. Briefly describe your most relevant extra-curricular activites (volunteer, research,serving disadvantaged or underserved populations, etc...) related to your interest in medicine. (250 words)

This isn't THAT bad. #1 is cake for most people, #2 is the real essay and not too long, #3A is meh, #3B can be reused from many schools, #s 4 and 5 are both AMCAS summaries.

This isn't THAT bad. #1 is cake for most people, #2 is the real essay and not too long, #3A is meh, #3B can be reused from many schools, #s 4 and 5 are both AMCAS summaries.
3a and 3b...havereally sucked for me...

3a and 3b...havereally sucked for me...

I'm white and middle class and I found things to talk about for 3b. I'm not really sure what they want for 3a, but I'll think of something.

Idk, the last one sounds hard (connect activities to your motivation to do medicine without repeating your PS...)

I'm not sure if they are expecting us to go too in depth on #4 and 5. Most of us will have been imformative enough on our primary.

I hate these schools that have online secondaries but make us send in a check....If we are doing everything else online, why cant we pay their bogus fee online, as well?

cause USC is more like SUC

anyone go to USC for undergrad?

Is it dangerous? have you ever been mugged?

For #4 we are not limited to discussing leadership experiences within medicine, right?

This secondary is not that bad...but then again...I am somewhat of a non-trad student and a black male (but I will not be focusing on that in my diversity statement...I mean I will state the obvious but it won't be the highlight of my diversity essay.

FIGHT ON!!!

Do you guys know if they accept AP credit as part of that beastly 30 credits of humanities requirement?

I spent the past month researching at Keck and it seemed safe to me, granted the latest that I stayed on campus was till 6 pm and the sun was still out, but I did take public transport to get to and from the campus.
The medical campus (USC Health Sciences Campus) is seperate from the undergrad campus (USC University Park Campus), they're about 7 miles apart from each other.

I go to undergrad 10 min away and have many friends that go to USC, so i have been there many times. Its not as dangerous as people like to make it out to be. The school is gated, its like its own community. Just dont be stupid (ie walk around off campus at 4 in the morning by yourself) and nothing will happen to you.

But like another poster said, the med school campus is not on the undergrad campus. I'm pretty sure right next to he USC/LA Count hospital in which case i dont see anything to worry about. it didnt seem like a bad neighborhood when i volunteered there.

They probably wont accept payment online via credit cards because they dont want to pay a processing fee. Think about it, if you are making $1,000,000 (10,000 applicants @ $100 each) from secondary application fees and visa/mastercard/amex want to take anywhere from 2-6% of your money, that is a lot of money ($20-60k). It makes sense for them to only accept checks or money orders.

They probably wont accept payment online via credit cards because they dont want to pay a processing fee. Think about it, if you are making $1,000,000 (10,000 applicants @ $100 each) from secondary application fees and visa/mastercard/amex want to take anywhere from 2-6% of your money, that is a lot of money ($20-60k). It makes sense for them to only accept checks or money orders.
is it really 2-6%??? I always thought it was 1% or less?

My heart is bleeding for them. That $20,000 loss must be painful when you have a school endowment of $3,700,000,000.

Sooo, I can probably get away with 254 words for one of the essays, yeah?

who knows...can you not rearrange a few sentences or cut out a few words??? I know I had to.
Haha, I did that - It was at around 270, then it was down to like 259. i dont really want to cut any actual parts, and rearranging words has gotten me down to 254... I'm just going to fix it later, I need a break from secondaries this morning.

When I refer to USC, should I shorten it to just Keck or USC? or should I remain professional and keep to the "Keck School of Medicine"

for example:
Keck's program in xxx

When I refer to USC, should I shorten it to just Keck or USC? or should I remain professional and keep to the "Keck School of Medicine"

for example:
Keck's program in xxx

For University of Chicago, I alternated between calling it University of Chicago and Pritzker, and I'll probably refer to USC as Keck or USC.

The Keck School of Medicine, at the beginning and end, but Keck throughout the rest.

After reading through their website, looks like they refer to themselves as Keck School

Have you guys actually gotten the Keck Secondary, cuz I called the school, but they said that AMCAS has not sent them my application yet.

Have you guys actually gotten the Keck Secondary, cuz I called the school, but they said that AMCAS has not sent them my application yet.

Yeah, they sent an email with a temporary password and a link to their secondary.

I wonder wtf AMCAS is doing. It seems like schools are getting the primaries in no particular order with only a slight trend toward people who were complete earlier.

Finally completed this long long secondary.
What's the point of asking about diversity AND educational environment? yeesh.

Yeah, they sent an email with a temporary password and a link to their secondary.

I wonder wtf AMCAS is doing. It seems like schools are getting the primaries in no particular order with only a slight trend toward people who were complete earlier.

Never mind... I got it...

In high school I applied to the Bac/MD program with USCs undergrad but was not accepted.... so when they ask "have you applied to Keck school of medicine before?" Do i have to say yes? I'm not sure b/c even tho I applied to the undergrad school, i also applied to the undergrad/med school program....they were separate applications and separate acceptances/rejections.

does anyone else feel their 30 semester units/hours of social sciences, humanities, and/or english composition is a bit ludicrous?

if you translate that into quarter units, that's roughly 12 courses. meaning, i would have had to have taken 1 course of from one of those chosen categories EVERY single quarter i was in school....that's literally IMPOSSIBLE with the GE requirements.

now i am unsure whether or not i will submit the secondary, or just bite the bullet and submit it anyway.:mad:

does anyone else feel their 30 semester units/hours of social sciences, humanities, and/or english composition is a bit ludicrous?

if you translate that into quarter units, that's roughly 12 courses. meaning, i would have had to have taken 1 course of from one of those chosen categories EVERY single quarter i was in school....that's literally IMPOSSIBLE with the GE requirements.

now i am unsure whether or not i will submit the secondary, or just bite the bullet and submit it anyway.:mad:

Those 30 credit hours made me call my mom, screaming "SEE?! That Feminist/Gender/Sexuality Studies major paid off! Otherwise I wouldn't even have a CHANCE!! I told you it wasn't a waste of time!!"
[dance!]

According to other threads about this, the 30 credit requirement can be fulfilled by ANY non-science class.

12 courses? I calculated it at only 9 courses at 5 quarter hours each.

For now all I know is USC's 2008 - 2009 Crush Campaign on the football field begings Aug. 30th vs. UVA in Virginia....AND I WILL BE THERE TO WITNESS THE BLOODY BLOODY MURDER!!!!

Then on to home to witness the destruction of OSU...the suckeyes!!!! Lots of traveling for me this year to watch USC destroy teams on the football field!

ok...I'm done salivating over collge football...now back to the wonderful Keck secondary!!!!!

Undergraduate Institution: UCLA

traitor! :mad: :mad:

Hey, I would choose LA over SC anyday, its just it is somewhat easier to get into SC than it is LA...

Those 30 credit hours made me call my mom, screaming "SEE?! That Feminist/Gender/Sexuality Studies major paid off! Otherwise I wouldn't even have a CHANCE!! I told you it wasn't a waste of time!!"
[dance!]

Same here...kind of... my parents never understood my interest in art history, but I have a bunch of credit hours from there, and I said the same thing to my parents...

Status
Not open for further replies.