2008-2009 USC-Keck Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
12 courses? I calculated it at only 9 courses at 5 quarter hours each.

this is what i used.

30 sem hours * (3/2) = 45 qtr units.

average UC quarter system course 3-4 units, and that easily gets you 11+ courses. there very many 5 unit courses (or possibly none) outside of the sciences in the UC system, at least not at the UC i graduated from.

USC just became the first school i've withdrawn from. It's the second closest school to me in distance (just over 5 miles away), and it has increased its academic standards across the board as of late, but not enough to merit the 35 median MCAT. Clearly, they are weighting the "numbers" much more heavily than most other schools (consider that UCSF has a median of 35 as well).

In other words, I know I'm not going to get in and I won't feel valuable getting a rejection on USC letterhead the way I will on UCSF letterhead (yes, the only reason I applied to UCSF is so that, on some level, they would acknowledge me. hahaha.)

Members don't see this ad :)
this is what i used.

30 sem hours * (3/2) = 45 qtr units.

average UC quarter system course 3-4 units, and that easily gets you 11+ courses. there very many 5 unit courses (or possibly none) outside of the sciences in the UC system, at least not at the UC i graduated from.

Really? Just looking through UCLA's Registrar at history classes, they were all 5 units.

According to the instructions, I believe we are supposed to send in a paper version of our recommendations even if they are online with VE. Can anyone confirm this?:confused:

According to the website:

LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION COVER SHEET
The individual below is an applicant to the Keck School of Medicine for the entering class of 2009. Please attach this sheet to your evaluation of this individual. Letters should be mailed to: Keck School of Medicine
Office of Admissions
1975 Zonal Ave., KAM 100C
Los Angeles, C 90089-9021

According to the instructions, I believe we are supposed to send in a paper version of our recommendations even if they are online with VE. Can anyone confirm this?:confused:

From the "Application Instructions."

"Letters submitted via Pre-Med Committee Evaluation packets, letter services, VirtualEval or Interfolio do not need a Keck Cover Sheet, but all such letters must include the applicant’s name and AAMC ID number. Average time for processing and posting of letters in an applicant’s file is 4-6 weeks."

So for the first question should I put "no", "N/A", "Not Applicable", or just leave it blank?

In high school I applied to the Bac/MD program with USCs undergrad but was not accepted.... so when they ask "have you applied to Keck school of medicine before?" Do i have to say yes? I'm not sure b/c even tho I applied to the undergrad school, i also applied to the undergrad/med school program....they were separate applications and separate acceptances/rejections.

I wouldn't say you've applied to Keck before. I had a friend last year in the same situation and she didn't say she applied.

USC just became the first school i've withdrawn from. It's the second closest school to me in distance (just over 5 miles away), and it has increased its academic standards across the board as of late, but not enough to merit the 35 median MCAT. Clearly, they are weighting the "numbers" much more heavily than most other schools (consider that UCSF has a median of 35 as well).

In other words, I know I'm not going to get in and I won't feel valuable getting a rejection on USC letterhead the way I will on UCSF letterhead (yes, the only reason I applied to UCSF is so that, on some level, they would acknowledge me. hahaha.)

I added USC to my list at work one day, without my MSAR, because their website says a mean MCAT of 32. I still can't really figure out the median of 35 vs. the mean of 32; that difference seems really large to me... but I know how you feel, when I got home that day and looked in the MSAR, I was like "there goes a bunch of money..."

But I am doing the secondary anyways. Why not.

How long did it take people to get a secondary from USC? (From the time of AMCAS verification/school submission).

I was verified 7/9. Should I call on Monday?

[they don't screen apps, right?]

I wouldn't say you've applied to Keck before. I had a friend last year in the same situation and she didn't say she applied.

yea i called admissions and they said to reply "no"

How long did it take people to get a secondary from USC? (From the time of AMCAS verification/school submission).

I was verified 7/9. Should I call on Monday?

[they don't screen apps, right?]

AMCAS verified 7/16....USC email 7/17. i dont think they screen.

AMCAS verified 7/16....USC email 7/17. i dont think they screen.

Oh wow, so I should definitely call on Monday, then. Thanks, ryserr21, for the very helpful post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here...kind of... my parents never understood my interest in art history, but I have a bunch of credit hours from there, and I said the same thing to my parents...

art history is history. not humanities/social sciences/english.

History is humanities.

not according to the amcas classifications...

I mean this is what wikipedia says: The humanities include languages, literature, music, philosophy, history, the classics, religion,

So who do we listen to?

wikipedia says languages, So does foreign language count as well?

not according to the amcas classifications...

I mean this is what wikipedia says: The humanities include languages, literature, music, philosophy, history, the classics, religion,

So who do we listen to?

wikipedia says languages, So does foreign language count as well?

Well, there isn't a humanities category at all in the AMCAS classifications, from what I can see, so you can't really go by what AMCAS says.

All of those that you listed are all definitely humanities, and I think it's fair to use any of those types of courses.

From the "Application Instructions."

"Letters submitted via Pre-Med Committee Evaluation packets, letter services, VirtualEval or Interfolio do not need a Keck Cover Sheet, but all such letters must include the applicant’s name and AAMC ID number. Average time for processing and posting of letters in an applicant’s file is 4-6 weeks."

4-6 weeks?!?!?! are you kidding me??! so does that mean our file won't even be complete for review until that time frame?

4-6 weeks?!?!?! are you kidding me??! so does that mean our file won't even be complete for review until that time frame?
Mine were sent electronically through interfolio and it took one day for them to process. Everything will be OK.

Mine were sent electronically through interfolio and it took one day for them to process. Everything will be OK.

People have submitted already?!

Well, there isn't a humanities category at all in the AMCAS classifications, from what I can see, so you can't really go by what AMCAS says.

All of those that you listed are all definitely humanities, and I think it's fair to use any of those types of courses.

Ooh, my bad. I thought there was.

Art History is definitely the humanities.

anyone complete yet?

They got my letters, but they haven't gotten my payment yet.

lol you should see some other schools. They say "if we have not received your letter by 8-12 weeks, please email us and we will look into your situation as soon as we can"

For those of you using VirtualEvals - how long did it take them to note that they had them? I've had my fee and secondary in for a few days now and it still says no letters. Since there was no place to mark VirtualEvals on the app, I am thinking I'll call...

For those of you using VirtualEvals - how long did it take them to note that they had them? I've had my fee and secondary in for a few days now and it still says no letters. Since there was no place to mark VirtualEvals on the app, I am thinking I'll call...

About a week and a half. I think the 4-6 week estimate is them covering their asses. Either that, or it really does take 4-6 weeks once the majority of apps start rolling in.

We are on the same boat. I submitted two weeks ago and also uses VE...and guess what...still not received my letters of rec...i guess VE just takes longer...HOPEFULLy

For recommendations when they say someone who has instructed you does that equal someone who has given you a grade in class?

I have a recommendation from a faculty who I took directed research with. She gave me a grade, but isn't a teacher in the traditional sense. Will that work?

For recommendations when they say someone who has instructed you does that equal someone who has given you a grade in class?

I have a recommendation from a faculty who I took directed research with. She gave me a grade, but isn't a teacher in the traditional sense. Will that work?

if someone who went to usc for undergrad doesn't know, how would we!?
haha, just kidding. i am actually curious about this too. anyone know?

We are on the same boat. I submitted two weeks ago and also uses VE...and guess what...still not received my letters of rec...i guess VE just takes longer...HOPEFULLy

it's literally going to take a min. of 4 weeks i think. i already called and they said they have ahuge number of applicants or something.... and i guess might be short staffed for the time being. but they said call back only if it's been over 6 weeks

I sent my AMCAS to these clowns but I still haven't recieved their secondary despite them not screening. What should I do? Call them?

just wondering... is ANYONE complete at Keck yet??

Median is the middle number in a given sequence of numbers so. if they accepted/matriculated people with MCATs from say 28 - 42, the median would be 35. The mean is the average, which is weighted towards how many of which scores are accepted/matriculated. Also, accepted values tend to differ considerably from matriculated ones because, duh everyone accepts a 45/4.0 but the 45/4.0 might not go to the school.

I added USC to my list at work one day, without my MSAR, because their website says a mean MCAT of 32. I still can't really figure out the median of 35 vs. the mean of 32; that difference seems really large to me... but I know how you feel, when I got home that day and looked in the MSAR, I was like "there goes a bunch of money..."

But I am doing the secondary anyways. Why not.

maybe i'm just freaking out, but my VE was "complete" and sent to all my schools on 7/15

USC received my payment check and updated my status for that like literally within 3 days of mailing the thing. however, my letters are still not marked as complete, and it's been almost 2 weeks. anyone experience this too?

maybe i'm just freaking out, but my VE was "complete" and sent to all my schools on 7/15

USC received my payment check and updated my status for that like literally within 3 days of mailing the thing. however, my letters are still not marked as complete, and it's been almost 2 weeks. anyone experience this too?

Read up in the thread.

I have a question. I'm more non-trad, so although I have lots of leadership experience, none in medicine. Do you think it'd be ok to list a non-medical leadership?

Hmm, 2 weeks? You have to wait 4-6 weeks.

What I know is that they've been holding a lot of meetings lately to discuss interview dates/logistics so I think many people are occupied. Even if you submitt recs via Virtual Eval, they have to download it on their end. My guess is that all your recs are in but no one has had time yet to download them. Don't worry. Until the first batch of interviews are sent, you have plenty of time.

Mine showed received and complete yesterday. I submitted the seconary on 7/21.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mine showed received and complete yesterday. I submitted the seconary on 7/21.
Posted via Mobile Device

damn wth, i submitted like on the 18th and my LOR's still aren't in. my LOR's were sent on the 15th through VE... when did you send yours?

one could assume that the following happens:

there is probably a administrative assistant who takes care of the billing and sorting of mail. checks and paper letters come in, (s)he sorts the stuff and checks a box next to the person's name on the computer.

now, for online letters: they don't always come in AFTER the amcas application, so you might not have a file when yours are first available. therefore, it probably makes more sense to wait until everything was completed and they are considering a review of the application before having the computer person spend time looking for the letters online. they probably also sort for letters of people with the best stats and those applying early first as well, to move things along.

if VE or whatever says that your letters have been posted, i'd give you a 99.9% chance of them actually being received, it's all a matter of whether anyone cares to look at them.

As of yesterday, my file is complete. Now I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping for an interview :)

Your MD apps profile says you are in USC's Bac/MD program. Do you have to get interviewed again?

oh, and when and how did you send your letters?

Last edited:
Your MD apps profile says you are in USC's Bac/MD program. Do you have to get interviewed again?

oh, and when and how did you send your letters?

:rolleyes: Well...typically, I wouldn't have to interview but I am applying MD/PhD to Keck so yes...I do. As for the recs, I sent mine via virtual eval and they downloaded them on the same day. I think I got lucky though because I sent mine before their busy logistic streak.

As a general rule of advice, if you have to write Letters of intent to Keck, address it appropriatly because every year, they get letters that start with Dear Sir....all the admin people are women and I can tell you that they laugh about such letters....

:rolleyes: Well...typically, I wouldn't have to interview but I am applying MD/PhD to Keck so yes...I do. As for the recs, I sent mine via virtual eval and they downloaded them on the same day. I think I got lucky though because I sent mine before their busy logistic streak.

As a general rule of advice, if you have to write Letters of intent to Keck, address it appropriatly because every year, they get letters that start with Dear Sir....all the admin people are women and I can tell you that they laugh about such letters....

hm, okay that kinda scares me now. when did you submit your letters? i submitted mine through VE 7/15 and it's still not through yet even though my paymanet was received on the 21st and 2ndary were complete on the 17th.... is that after the logistics streak?

hm, okay that kinda scares me now. when did you submit your letters? i submitted mine through VE 7/15 and it's still not through yet even though my paymanet was received on the 21st and 2ndary were complete on the 17th.... is that after the logistics streak?

I submitted mine 7/15 too but I submitted everything 7/15.

Status
Not open for further replies.