2008-2009 USC-Keck Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
damn wth, i submitted like on the 18th and my LOR's still aren't in. my LOR's were sent on the 15th through VE... when did you send yours?

July 3rd, so they've been available for a while now.

Members don't see this ad.

Guys I was verified on the 25th or so of July and I still haven't received a secondary from keck.. anybody else in the same boat as me?

Guys I was verified on the 25th or so of July and I still haven't received a secondary from keck.. anybody else in the same boat as me?

Wassup enjoy. I am in the same boat as you. I was just wondering the same thing. I was verified on the 24th of July and haven't heard from USC or a bunch of other schools. I wonder what the deal is? God bless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im cool now. I got their secondary today. So if you haven't heard anything yet it is probably on the way. God bless.

Ditto, today is the 3 week mark of letters sent. 1 more to go before I can start bitching.

lol, you mean 3 more weeks.

They said 4-6 weeks, meaning that they have plenty of wiggle room.

Hey,

I'm doing Kecks right now. Does anyone know if Microbiology counts towards their molecular cell bio?

Just wondering, its not listed on their list of examples.

thanks

Hey,

I'm doing Kecks right now. Does anyone know if Microbiology counts towards their molecular cell bio?

Just wondering, its not listed on their list of examples.

thanks

I would guess that it doesn't.

I was thinking it is sort of cell bio. If not then i'm screwed.

I was thinking it is sort of cell bio. If not then i'm screwed.

At my school, microbio was mostly bacteriology and some virology, so not much on eukaryotic cell bio, which is what I think of when I think of a typical cell bio class. You can always contact USC to see if they'd take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, microbio was mostly bacteriology and some virology, so not much on eukaryotic cell bio, which is what I think of when I think of a typical cell bio class. You can always contact USC to see if they'd take it.

sigh, thinking of withdrawing from USC. I would have to take a mol bio class pre-matric, and I'm feeling a little lazy about their secondary

while on the subject, is a regular genetics course the same as molecular genetics?

while on the subject, is a regular genetics course the same as molecular genetics?

I think as long as your genetics class covered molecular genetics in addition to Mendelian genetics, that's probably sufficient. But again, contact them to find out for sure.

This isn't THAT bad. #1 is cake for most people, #2 is the real essay and not too long, #3A is meh, #3B can be reused from many schools, #s 4 and 5 are both AMCAS summaries.
so for #4 and 5, are we literally cutting and pasting from amcas? Did anyone do anything different for that?

sigh, thinking of withdrawing from USC. I would have to take a mol bio class pre-matric, and I'm feeling a little lazy about their secondary

Do it. Less competition for the rest of us :D

Hey guys, So i am writing for USC and was wondering when they asked for "provide a summary of your most relevant and recent leadership experience" does the relevant mean that it has to be connected somekind to medicine?

For those interested...this is what you get when you are complete:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for applying to the Keck School of Medicine for the fall 2009
incoming class. At this time, your primary and secondary applications,
fees, and letters of recommendation have been received and processed.

You are probably wondering what comes next. We hope that the following
FAQs will clarify the remainder of the process for you.

Once my application is complete, can I send updated grades as they become
available, letters of interest, or additional letters of recommendation?
Once your file is complete, it gets sent to a member of our screening
committee digitally. We are unable to send them any additional
information, therefore, please do not send any updates via email or hard
copy – they will be discarded. Updates are only accepted after you have
been invited for an interview, and can be brought to our office on your
interview day. Changes to your mailing address must be done through
AMCAS, however, you may call our office to change your current email
address or phone number.

Once my application is complete, when can I expect to hear something from
Keck?
Please be assured that the screening committee will review your
application very thoroughly. We interview between October and April, and
you may receive an interview invitation anytime during this period.
Interview invitations will come via email, inviting you to log back into
our system to schedule an interview. Applicants receive invitations to
interview on a rolling basis. Please refrain from calling the office to
check on the status of your application, as we have no information on
where your file is in the screening process once it has been sent
digitally to the committee.

I will be in Los Angeles for Winter/Spring break, another interview, etc.
Can I find out if Keck will be inviting me for an interview so I can
schedule it at the same time?
Until you receive an email invitation from the screening committee, we are
unable to assist you with interview scheduling. Once you have received an
invitation, please call our office and we will do what we can to
accommodate your situation.

May I speak with the Dean of Admissions or a member of the Admissions
Committee regarding my application?
Dr. Quinn and the Admissions Committee will not meet with anyone during
the application process.

If you have a question that has not been answered here, please feel free
to contact the Admissions Office. We are here to assist you with any
further questions or concerns you may have regarding the admissions
process at the Keck School of Medicine. We look forward to working with
you in the future.

Sincerely,
The Office of Admissions
Keck School of Medicine
(323) 442-2552

Thanks waterlilly,

THough, my letters still haven't been received. Can virtual evals letters get lost?

For those interested...this is what you get when you are complete:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for applying to the Keck School of Medicine for the fall 2009
incoming class. At this time, your primary and secondary applications,
fees, and letters of recommendation have been received and processed.

You are probably wondering what comes next. We hope that the following
FAQs will clarify the remainder of the process for you.

Once my application is complete, can I send updated grades as they become
available, letters of interest, or additional letters of recommendation?
Once your file is complete, it gets sent to a member of our screening
committee digitally. We are unable to send them any additional
information, therefore, please do not send any updates via email or hard
copy – they will be discarded. Updates are only accepted after you have
been invited for an interview, and can be brought to our office on your
interview day. Changes to your mailing address must be done through
AMCAS, however, you may call our office to change your current email
address or phone number.

Once my application is complete, when can I expect to hear something from
Keck?
Please be assured that the screening committee will review your
application very thoroughly. We interview between October and April, and
you may receive an interview invitation anytime during this period.
Interview invitations will come via email, inviting you to log back into
our system to schedule an interview. Applicants receive invitations to
interview on a rolling basis. Please refrain from calling the office to
check on the status of your application, as we have no information on
where your file is in the screening process once it has been sent
digitally to the committee.

I will be in Los Angeles for Winter/Spring break, another interview, etc.
Can I find out if Keck will be inviting me for an interview so I can
schedule it at the same time?
Until you receive an email invitation from the screening committee, we are
unable to assist you with interview scheduling. Once you have received an
invitation, please call our office and we will do what we can to
accommodate your situation.

May I speak with the Dean of Admissions or a member of the Admissions
Committee regarding my application?
Dr. Quinn and the Admissions Committee will not meet with anyone during
the application process.

If you have a question that has not been answered here, please feel free
to contact the Admissions Office. We are here to assist you with any
further questions or concerns you may have regarding the admissions
process at the Keck School of Medicine. We look forward to working with
you in the future.

Sincerely,
The Office of Admissions
Keck School of Medicine
(323) 442-2552

Waterlilly, how long did it take for Keck to enter your letters after they were sent? My school only sends letters via snail mail, and I have a delivery confirmation for the 22nd of July. Did yours take longer than 3 weeks? Anyone know if or when Keck will start reading our apps?

Copperdime....I don't think you're letters were lost unless your other schools aren't getting them either. I think they just haven't downloaded them yet.

N3opologist....Keck entered my letters the day after I submitted but I sent the letters as soon as I got the secondary invite. I'm not sure when Keck starts reading the apps but since interviews aren't till October...I'm guessing they start in September.

The lady entering the letters was on vacation last week. ONly one person was in the office. Hopefully it'll get rolling this coming week.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what they want for questions 4 and 5. Is it just the same things from our amcas?

yeah. 4 and 5 were annoyingly similar to the primary. but, try to come up with something different!

Okie dokie. Thank you Berk. :love: Your always there when I need you! ;)

haha no problem bison! :love:
for example, for the leadership essay, rather than list out my activities...i talked about how i would bring what i learned to keck etc. just make it different.

I have really been struggling with these. I don't know if it is because I don't like essays or what. But I just really need to get them done! Like ASAP!

yeah. they gave me a bit of trouble too. get them done bd2b!!! :thumbup:

I will! I have to. At least to give myself a chance. Hopefully I can get it off today or tomorrow. Have you sent yours off?

hmm im trying to write the first essay, but their website seems finicky. It keeps telling me im not authorized to view pages.

Finally! My letters were entered, and I'm complete. That took exactly three weeks. Why are they so slow?

BTW, admin office says they will start reviewing apps for interviews starting next week :)

Finally! My letters were entered, and I'm complete. That took exactly three weeks. Why are they so slow?

BTW, admin office says they will start reviewing apps for interviews starting next week :)

how'd you find out? Did they email you?

Howdy,

Does anyone know what the oldest MCAT, Keck will accept? I wrote my MCAT August 2005.

Thanks,

Hi everyone, so I am finally getting ready to submit this beast. I have a question about LOR though. If my school does not have a premed committee but has a letter service that sends out my letters of recommendations (from individual professors that I asked) as a packet, which option on the application do I select? "Current Pre-Medical Committee Evaluation" OR "Current letters from two science faculty"?

Unfortunately, Keck's admissions committee has not gotten back to me since I wrote to them earlier this week, so I am hoping one of the fellow SDNers can help :)

Thanks!

Hi everyone, so I am finally getting ready to submit this beast. I have a question about LOR though. If my school does not have a premed committee but has a letter service that sends out my letters of recommendations (from individual professors that I asked) as a packet, which option on the application do I select? "Current Pre-Medical Committee Evaluation" OR "Current letters from two science faculty"?

Unfortunately, Keck's admissions committee has not gotten back to me since I wrote to them earlier this week, so I am hoping one of the fellow SDNers can help :)

Thanks!

They told me to put "current letters from two science faculty." I go to UCLA, and we have a packet system too (I assume they all work the same).

I sent in my check on 7/23 and had already submitted my online application AND letters by then. I just logged on and my letters are FINALLY in! I haven't gotten a complete e-mail yet, but at least I know they are there.

I submitted my app almost a week ago, but I haven't paid the fee yet. Thing is, I can't log into the website to get the address for sending the check! I've tried for a few days in a row now. Is anyone else having this problem?

I called USC last week wondering why my recs haven't been inputted yet... the person said if I sent them two weeks ago, they should be inputted in September. Really scary, how have other people already gotten theirs in??? Please someone tell me, anyone know?? It seems that will be so long before we hear anything at all.

So does it mean that there is no point to sending the secondary in before the recs have been received?

mine was sent in early mid july and it was marked complete like early this week or sometime last week

last year they lost my recs... so i had to send them in, this time i didnt even send it in with the cover letter, i just sent it

yeah i think theyre just slow on recs. mine were uploaded to VE on July 31st, and most schools have gotten them, but not USC.

to californiagreen, im not sure, some schools will download your reccs and theyll be sitting there, waiting for you to submit your secondary (stanford), there are some schools that download your reccs, but don't let you know when they receive them until you submit your secondary (NW-- i had no record of any LORs received, and i submitted on a wed, then all of a sudden they showed that they had gotten my recs 2 days earlier). Then there are the schools that don't even attempt to download your LORs until you've submitted yoru secondary (I suspect this is most schools). Anyways, I'd get it in as soon as possible. Man, the later it gets, the more rambly i get.

Yea, my letters were shipped out via snail mail on July 28. Other schools have received them, but USC has yet to enter them in. I'm hoping they will get entered in the next couple of weeks =/

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone is applying without taking biochem? I haven't taken it, nor am I enrolled in it, and was interested in Keck. My advisor told me that it "shouldn't be a problem and to apply anyway," but I just can't see how they would let this slide... this is also the same advisor that told me Howard medical school was in Atlanta, so I'm not too sure here... as far as I know they are one of the only schools with the biochem requirement.

Anyways, is it a waste of my time to fill out this secondary application? I have already sent the primary. I have taken several microbio classes, if that matters.

Thanks for the advice.

Anyone heard any word on Keck interviews? Someone posted on 8/13 that the adcom was going to start reviewing applications for interviews in "the next week" and it's been 2 weeks. Seems like it should be any day now..

Status
Not open for further replies.