2008-2009 Temple Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine? (Use the following space. There is no character limit.)

What are your plans for the current year- June 2008 until June 2009? (Use the following space. There is no character limit.)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how they determine which teaching hospital you are assigned to for the third and fourth year? It says you rank your preferences on the supplemental, so is it based on how quickly you get your application in, assuming of course that you get accepted? (Like UIC). OR, do they do something else?

Last edited:
Think it's okay to use bullet point format for this? I figure this is the most efficient - and in this case effective - way to communicate that information. Right?

What are your plans for the current year- June 2008 until June 2009? (Use the following space. There is no character limit.) [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Think it's okay to use bullet point format for this? I figure this is the most efficient - and in this case effective - way to communicate that information. Right?

What are your plans for the current year- June 2008 until June 2009? (Use the following space. There is no character limit.)
That is my plan.

haven't gotten this yet arg

haven't gotten this yet arg

On their admissions site it says "On 15 July, we will send the secondary to all AMCAS verified applicants."

Not sure how people got it early. I would expect to see it in a few days.

Does anyone know how they determine which teaching hospital you are assigned to for the third and fourth year? It says you rank your preferences on the supplemental, so is it based on how quickly you get your spot? (Like UIC). OR, do they do something else?
Anyone know this?

Does anyone know how they determine which teaching hospital you are assigned to for the third and fourth year? It says you rank your preferences on the supplemental, so is it based on how quickly you get your application in, assuming of course that you get accepted? (Like UIC). OR, do they do something else?

I can't believe that they are making us choose our 3rd/4th year site ALREADY, we aren't even accepted yet let alone have a clue about any of the sites (at least I don't). On top of that we have to include in our essay why we picked #1 as #1, are they serious?

I can't believe that they are making us choose our 3rd/4th year site ALREADY, we aren't even accepted yet let alone have a clue about any of the sites (at least I don't). On top of that we have to include in our essay why we picked #1 as #1, are they serious?

Can you elaborate on what this means for those of us who dont actually have the secondary? What do we need to include in the essay that isnt mentioned in the prompt?

Seriously dont leave us hanging guys. What are you talking about in terms of the 4 teaching hospitals and writing about them in the essay?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten the secondary either, but I was looking at the Temple website and it looks like they have 4 places where you can do your clinical years, one of them being Temple hospital and one being in Pittsburgh and I don't remember where the other two are. Basically, though, it looks like they want you to research these places before applying, and they'll tell you once you're accepted where you're actually going to end up your 3rd/4th years.
Apparently, you'll have to mention why you picked those places in the essay, and I venture they'll choose who goes where based on their reasoning.

Sorry for leaving you guys hanging, this is the part of the secondary I was referring to:

Temple University has four clinical campus opportunities in Pennsylvania, where students can complete all of their third and fourth year requirements. Please rank your preference for our clinical campuses below. In making admissions decisions, we will make every effort to honor your selection.

When responding to the essay question about your special interest in Temple, please indicate your special interest in your first ranked campus. To learn more about each clinical campus, click on the name.
Geisinger Health System in Danville
St. Luke’s Hospital in Bethlehem
Temple University and local affiliates
Western Pennsylvania Hospital in Pittsburgh

What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine? (Use the following space. There is no character limit.)

when it says "use the following space" how much space is given?

Hmm... still haven't gotten it yet. I was expecting to see it today based on their website, but I guess not. Whatever.

So how the hell are you guys picking from those 4 choices? I cant even find the difference between them aside from geography....

Also what do they mean admissions decisions? Our choice influences the adcom's decision to accept us? So applying to the tiny one in Danville vs St Lukes puts the Danville people at a disadvantage since less people can go there? Or am I overreading it?

Last edited:
So how the hell are you guys picking from those 4 choices? I cant even find the difference between them aside from geography....

Also what do they mean admissions decisions? Our choice influences the adcom's decision to accept us? So applying to the tiny one in Danville vs St Lukes puts the Danville people at a disadvantage since less people can go there? Or am I overreading it?
The way I read it, they just mean in terms of where they put you. I guess it is possible that where you want to go plays a role in whether or not you get in.

still waiting:D

I called this morning about it - they said they're sending them out in batches, should get it by the end of the week.

Waiting is our job
And patience is a virtue
Practice makes perfect

Can you tell I'm avoiding work?

I called this morning about it - they said they're sending them out in batches, should get it by the end of the week.

Waiting is our job
And patience is a virtue
Practice makes perfect

Can you tell I'm avoiding work?
hahaha

How long are you guys going for the special interest in temple question? I am thinking around 250-300 words.

Hmm, still waiting.

I would really like that one to get to me!

I just got mine this morning.

Ok....so did anyone else pretty much just randomly select there top clinical sites??? I have no idea bout these and have no idea how to attack the essay.

HOLY ****!!! I just looked at the tuition OOS for this school, and I have to say its probably the most expensive out of any school I applied to. 47K+

Ok....so did anyone else pretty much just randomly select there top clinical sites??? I have no idea bout these and have no idea how to attack the essay.

I have no idea how I'm going to chose; I've never been to the areas, and I can only gain so much from their websites. It'll probably be a random selection - I kind of what to chose St. Luke's just because then I can say I live/work in Bethlehem :p

I have no idea how I'm going to chose; I've never been to the areas, and I can only gain so much from their websites. It'll probably be a random selection - I kind of what to chose St. Luke's just because then I can say I live/work in Bethlehem :p
I picked western Pitt for my top choice, no real reason why. I just saw all the accomplishments and awards they listed on their website, so imma talk about those.

See, I am leaning towards putting Temple U Hospital as my first choice, so I dont have to move or something...

Temple U is my first choice because it seems to have the most pediatric opportunities. Second choice would be the one in Danville- yes it is super small but I like the idea of going rural at least for a couple years to try it out!

I got it this morning. For campus sites, I put Temple U as my top choice and attributed it to the city. I listed Danville last...too close to family...Dad works there haha.

During the last cycle, people getting accepted later in the spring (and off the waitlist) were being assigned to random clinical campuses. Apparently some of the places, especially Temple's hospital, fill up quickly and they start sending folks to other places around Pennsylvania. I'm not sure if anyone had a real say in the matter.

I'd definitely do at least a little bit of research into the campuses and rank highly those you think you'd actually enjoy. That way, you might be able to avoid some of the randomness if you end up getting accepted later in the season.

I think we need a current med student or someone who knows more about them in here to tell us what the deal is with the different teaching hospitals.

Personally I would be interested in patient populations, exposure, that sort of thing

Does the online secondary link work for you guys?

Yeah, the link doesn't work for me too. :(

So reapplicants can't submit until they fix the glitch, right?

I think we need a current med student or someone who knows more about them in here to tell us what the deal is with the different teaching hospitals.

Personally I would be interested in patient populations, exposure, that sort of thing
I second this. If any med students from temple are out there, it would be awesome to hear some first-hand temple experience in the matter.

Temple U is my first choice because it seems to have the most pediatric opportunities. Second choice would be the one in Danville- yes it is super small but I like the idea of going rural at least for a couple years to try it out!

I am trying to search for something from last year regarding the clinical campuses but so far I haven't found anything.

EDIT: It seems like they didn't force anyone to pick one of the other sites in past year's secondaries. You could indicate an interest, or not. Alot of people did not indicate any interest in any of them and did fine.
That doesn't really help us, though.

Last edited:
one of my friends is a 3rd year at temple, she said that in the past they didn't have to rank hospitals, so apparently this is like a new thing for us. regarding the 3 hospitals outside philly she said

As far
as location, Danville is smack in the middle of nowhere.
There isn't much out there, but the hospital is brand new
and state of the art with it's electronic medical records.
It's a good place to go because it is the big hospital for
the surrounding area, the only thing is it is in the middle
of nowhere. So its kind of a give or take. As far as West
Penn, it's pretty good for rotations and it's right
around a city at least. Bethlehem is okay, I haven't
heard amazing things about it. It's only an hour away from
Philadelphia.

one of my friends is a 3rd year at temple, she said that in the past they didn't have to rank hospitals, so apparently this is like a new thing for us. regarding the 3 hospitals outside philly she said

As far
as location, Danville is smack in the middle of nowhere.
There isn't much out there, but the hospital is brand new
and state of the art with it's electronic medical records.
It's a good place to go because it is the big hospital for
the surrounding area, the only thing is it is in the middle
of nowhere. So its kind of a give or take. As far as West
Penn, it's pretty good for rotations and it's right
around a city at least. Bethlehem is okay, I haven't
heard amazing things about it. It's only an hour away from
Philadelphia.

Thanks man, this is super helpful. Hopefully some more Temple students will weigh in so that I can figure out what to say about the clinical hospitals.

So apparently the link to their secondary should be working. However, it doesn't for me. Anyone else have this problem or a solution?

yeah, the link works for me but when I put in AMCAS ID and password it keeps saying invalid. I had gotten in fine a few days ago...

I am trying to search for something from last year regarding the clinical campuses but so far I haven't found anything.

EDIT: It seems like they didn't force anyone to pick one of the other sites in past year's secondaries. You could indicate an interest, or not. Alot of people did not indicate any interest in any of them and did fine.
That doesn't really help us, though.

Yes, a lot of people did not indicate interest in specific clinical campuses. However, as the application season progressed, Temple began assigning accepted students to random sites without their consent. I'm not sure if these students will be able to eventually switch if they so choose, but you'd probably be best off ranking the sites now to avoid the potential hassle.

Yes, a lot of people did not indicate interest in specific clinical campuses. However, as the application season progressed, Temple began assigning accepted students to random sites without their consent. I'm not sure if these students will be able to eventually switch if they so choose, but you'd probably be best off ranking the sites now to avoid the potential hassle.
Well, they are making us rank them, which is fine. But they are also making us explain why. That, I think, is where people are having trouble.

Well, they are making us rank them, which is fine. But they are also making us explain why. That, I think, is where people are having trouble.

Agreed, that's tough. I doubt they're looking for anything in-depth, though. Just saying that your rankings are based on geography is most likely sufficient.

Okay.. I'm confused.. I didn't remember getting asked to explain why I chose my rankings (I already submitted) and I just went back to double-check the application and it doesn't ask me that anywhere. Where is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.