program rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vincent7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm about to submit my Eras application but what's holding it up is that I'm having a hard time decieding which programs to apply to. I'm applying widely because of my nontraditional application which has definite strengths and weaknesses. So my question is: is there a comprehensive resource out there that will tell me which programs belong to which "tier" generally? I'm trying to apply generally and would not want to apply to mostly top tier programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I can understand that you'd be shy, but the easiest way would be for you to just tell us where you've applied already.

In general though as far as academics, I'd say that top tier is the ivies, plus UCSD/UCLA/UCSF. Middle tier would be schools that everyone's heard of but I didn't mention above. And 'lower tier' would be university based programs that are smaller or attract fewer out-of-state residents.

I'd say one quick and dirty way would be to go to the programs' websites and see which took residents mainly from 'top tier' medical schools (for which we do have rankings).

I can understand that you'd be shy, but the easiest way would be for you to just tell us where you've applied already.

In general though as far as academics, I'd say that top tier is the ivies, plus UCSD/UCLA/UCSF. Middle tier would be schools that everyone's heard of but I didn't mention above. And 'lower tier' would be university based programs that are smaller or attract fewer out-of-state residents.

I'd say one quick and dirty way would be to go to the programs' websites and see which took residents mainly from 'top tier' medical schools (for which we do have rankings).

The formula I'm piloting right now is this:

{[Average rent in city (in dollars) / 100] + sqrt[ NIH research dollars (in millions) ] + log [ Jews / Protestants ]} / kilometers from nearest ocean.

That should give you the Billypilgrim competitiveness index.

Members don't see this ad :)

{[Average rent in city (in dollars) / 100] + sqrt[ NIH research dollars (in millions) ] + log [ Jews / Protestants ]} / kilometers from nearest ocean.

Oh man I laughed so hard I just spit cheetos all over myself. This is going to be a hygiene issue since I am not wearing a shirt and my nickname is "it's not a sweater"

Touche!:clap:

Is that the first time the Barfie has been used on this forum?
nope, somebody used it last year describing their expertise in catching their kids' puke...
isn't it sad that I remember that?:rolleyes:

you are lucky that as I've gotten older I no longer view statements like that as a challenge. You really have no idea what's TMI.

I am a parent of 4, of whom 3 are boys.
I also am treated in my daily work life to a variety of stories from patients' lives which could probably all fit the general structure of: "It would probably never occur to most people that they could _____ with their _____ ..." :eek:

So no, really, I'm no stranger to grossness...

I am a parent of 4, of whom 3 are boys.
I also am treated in my daily work life to a variety of stories from patients' lives which could probably all fit the general structure of: "It would probably never occur to most people that they could _____ with their _____ ..." :eek:

So no, really, I'm no stranger to grossness...

Touche. Well played sir, well played.

I was just browsing some old threads to help throw some wrenches into the cogs of my ranking process, since I like to make life more difficult for myself. In the process, I found this post, and thought that it deserved a bump for the benefit of this year's applicants.

This is my all-time favorite SDN post!

Members don't see this ad :)
It appears that your favorite NYC IMG factory is more desirable (by over two orders of magnitude) than any place in the Midwest...

I interviewed at a place in NYC this season. When I mentioned at one point that I'm from Missouri, the ensuing conversation with the PD (who was a great guy overall, but just happened to be a native of NYC) was something along the lines of:

Him: "That's in the South, right?"
Me: "Well, we usually consider ourselves as part of the Midwest."
Him: "But towards the South?"
Me: "I guess it's further south than Chicago or Minnesota..."
Him: "Isn't it on the Gulf Coast?"
Me: "No, you're thinking of Mississippi. I'm from St. Louis."
Him: "Yeah, I thought that was on the Gulf Coast... how far are you from there?"
Me: "About 600 miles."
Him: "Oh."

Last edited:
I interviewed at a place in NYC this season. When I mentioned at one point that I'm from Missouri, the PD (who was a great guy overall, but just happened to be a native of NYC) the ensuing conversation was something along the lines of:

Him: "Yeah, I thought that was on the Gulf Coast... how far are you from there?"

:smack:

I interviewed at a place in NYC this season. When I mentioned at one point that I'm from Missouri, the ensuing conversation with the PD (who was a great guy overall, but just happened to be a native of NYC) was something along the lines of:

well....he's likely just a moran.....I don't know if I would put all that on him being a native new yorker.

Sweet irony...

Ha, that was hilarious. I literally laughed out loud.

That said, he wasn't a *****. Or a Moran, although I'm not sure what his last name has to do with it. He was a smart guy overall... just not very well-versed in geography, apparently. People in Sydney suffer from the same problem, except that they think they're better than Americans.

Ha, that was hilarious. I literally laughed out loud.

That said, he wasn't a *****. Or a Moran, although I'm not sure what his last name has to do with it. He was a smart guy overall... just not very well-versed in geography, apparently. People in Sydney suffer from the same problem, except that they think they're better than Americans.

anyone who doesn't know that missouri isn't in the same location as mississippi can be described as a moran imo.

I had almost the same exchange at least once. I think it was on the West Coast though. Sigh. And several times I mentioned the weather and people clearly thought it was warmer year round in Missouri than it is.

It's okay. I spent a couple years in Ohio and I kept getting asked how I liked Iowa.

Last edited: